Really work? You're a Jerk.

Options

Replies

• 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    For sure it can be tempting! But, if there's some treat you really want I'm sure you can make room for it in your calories.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    what happens in an office behind a closed door stays in that office).

giggity.

baaahahaha, you said giggity. *snorts* :flowerforyou:
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! My office is like that too. I'm the boss and I banned parties involving food a few years ago but the staff found ways around the ban (what happens in an office behind a closed door stays in that office).

You banned it? Glad I don't work for you
  • vcferlita
    Options
    Every Friday is donut day here at work
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me when my office has treats. You can choose to be healthy or not. 99.99% of the time I choose healthy!!! I can't see 'banning' food like that from the office like someone had mentioned on here. Not everyone should be held to your standards. The general populace likes to celebrate birthdays with cake....it's the norm. Eat it or don't!
  • jessc4343
    jessc4343 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

I insigated a personal rule to help me cut down on the goodies - if the item is home baked, then I will have a small amout as usually this is a much better quality treat. If it is store bought - then I just don't bother - that item is usually not that good anyway and full of "not real food items" unlike the home bkaed treat which is made from real food.

This "rule" helps me control what I eat but still feel like I am participating in the celebrations.

Same here; I can resist Donut Fridays but resisting fancy homemade stuffs?? Count me in for a piece/slice; afterall, someone put in allll that hard work! I just call them the devil under my breath :wink: , log it and move on. [Oh, and note the 'winky face' after the devil comment, that was me being silly]
  • lizziebeth1028
    Options
    I feel your pain! My office is like that too. I'm the boss and I banned parties involving food a few years ago but the staff found ways around the ban (what happens in an office behind a closed door stays in that office).

You banned it? Glad I don't work for you

I agree, I'm glad I don't work for her either! I can only imagine the things that are being said behind her back at the office:laugh:
  • ambrwaves27
    Options
    11r6gr5.jpg
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    It's a doughnut... not the end the world. If you don't want one, then don't eat it... that simple. If you do want one, then eat it, log it and move on.

I think it's more ridiculous that people freakout about food in the office. People like to celebrate things... and generally that involves food.

This is actually a problem that a lot of us deal with. This is a situation where someone needs support.

Agree. It's one thing if you are at home and can resist but at work, you are stressed, have to walk by it constantly, it is very hard to resist no matter how good your intentions are. It was like that where I worked too and even to go to the rest room had to walk by jars of candy etc.
  • bethygirlie
    bethygirlie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I work on a cardiac unit of a hospital and one time we had a patient who owned a bakery, the bakery that has the most incredible things there....well they were a patient on the floor and literally our break room was completely covered in baked goods...cakes, pastries, cookies, breads, bagels, etc. and I wouldn't go in there. I put my coat in the nurses station and I literally would not go in the breakroom. It kinda helped me avoid everything because I knew if I had one thing it would be a slippery slope. So I just tried to avoid the whole situation, as tempting as it was.
  • ashleen7
    ashleen7 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Rather drastic view. Its almost as though you are at Guantánamo Bay and being Donut Boarded....

I would LOVE this!! Nom nom!!
  • lizziebeth1028
    Options
    It's a doughnut... not the end the world. If you don't want one, then don't eat it... that simple. If you do want one, then eat it, log it and move on.

I think it's more ridiculous that people freakout about food in the office. People like to celebrate things... and generally that involves food.

This is actually a problem that a lot of us deal with. This is a situation where someone needs support.

Agree. It's one thing if you are at home and can resist but at work, you are stressed, have to walk by it constantly, it is very hard to resist no matter how good your intentions are. It was like that where I worked too and even to go to the rest room had to walk by jars of candy etc.

^^^^ Yea but that why it's called a lifestyle change. In life food is going to happen...it's your choice to eat it or not
  • gsmithnp
    gsmithnp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, sharing food is equated with affection and appreciation. Many people (even tribal people in third-world countries) take offense if an offer of food is rejected. As a result, it ISN'T always as simple as refuse and walk away. Sometimes it works, sometimes people follow you around with a cupcake and a side of guilt-trip. Turning your back on sweets can be hard enough, but hurting the feelings of your friend/family member/coworker can be almost impossible for many people.

There's not always an easy solution (particularly if the treats are brought in without advance warning). My strategy is this: when I know we're going to have a staff meeting or potluck lunch, I plan for it in my calories for the day and make sure I get a good workout in. Same as I would if I was going to be eating out at a restaurant or going to a wedding or other situation where I can't control what's being served.

That being said, if someone was to bring in Starbucks banana bread tomorrow, I might have to hurt them. After I ate one, of course! Hehe!
  • wheelinqueen
    wheelinqueen Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    For the love of GOD! It was a joke. I swear. Just a joke. Hence the ":tongue: "

I realize that it must be hard to get my emotions by just reading the text on the screen....but I didn't really think I was being dramatic....like at all.

...and really, what IS with all of the attacks? This is a Motivation and Support board. Isn't it?!

*And thanks to all the people who actually GOT the joke...or had CONSTRUCTIVE advice* :flowerforyou:
  • bethygirlie
    bethygirlie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    For the love of GOD! It was a joke. I swear. Just a joke. Hence the ":tongue: "

I realize that it must be hard to get my emotions by just reading the text on the screen....but I didn't really think I was being dramatic....like at all.

...and really, what IS with all of the attacks? This is a Motivation and Support board. Isn't it?!

*And thanks to all the people who actually GOT the joke...or had CONSTRUCTIVE advice* :flowerforyou:

:flowerforyou: I got it :)
  • Thundermountain
    Options
    I was not joking on the donut boarding.. Nom Nom is right...
  • Zalli
    Zalli Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Usually I'd chime in about how my workplace is a minefield for avoiding treats...

But all this week staff have been bringing in fresh produce from their gardens to share. Today there was a box of apples and a bowl of zucchinis with a "Help Yourself" sign on it. I LIKE it! :)
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Ask if they can get the group something healthy next time for a treat. Or if it's a small group, ask if you can have something different.
  • Goonygugu
    Options
    Sorry if you feel tempted by the 'jerks' bringing in donuts etc...

Just remind yourself that while they are all piling in the calroies you are on the way to a hot new body!! :flowerforyou:
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Yup, my old office job was like this. People who buy rounds of Timmy Ho's donuts; Christmas was a minefield of chocolates and cookies; our suppliers and clients sent heaps of complimentary junk our way, all lying in ambush at the reception desk, which there really was no way of avoiding all day. I was a total pusher, too. I went to culinary school, and am essentially the queen of cake. At the very least, I provided a high-quality-ingredient approach to suffering a heart attack. I don't work there anymore, but if I did I wouldn't be the cake pusher I was (not that I don't still make them, on occasion).

One excellent thing that a co-worker of mine started up, and that quickly drew a number of supporters, was Salad Fridays. This co-worker would bring a base salad of lettuce, shredded carrot, red cabbage, etc... plus additional toppings such as sunflower seeds, black olive slices, grape tomatoes, green onion, diced cucumber, and some other things I can't remember this late at night, plus 3 or 4 different healthy vinaigrettes (no heavy, "creamy" dressings). He would also bring a fruit salad, and some foam bowls for the lot of it. Everyone would chip in 2 bucks a week, and would get at least 1 bowl of each, plus leftovers if there were any. It was really, really good salad (sunflower seeds on salad are the bomb, by the way).