Ladies and Men Opinions on Makeup

Options

Replies

• jillebee44
    jillebee44 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I hate make up. Always have.

^^^^ME TOO!! I RARELY do my hair OR makeup. When I do I get questioned...LOL WHY YOU ALL DRESSED UP!!?? However I DO like the comments I get when I do. I have NEVER been one to do this at all. I am a true to the core TOMBOY. Hated dresses (still do most of the time) hate makeup (makes my face feel NASTY, hate taking the time to do my hair (I could be doing more AMZAING things instead). My mother ALWAYS did and still does her hair and makeup, she felt "naked" without it.

I agree there is a shallowness to it, but it's what ever makes you feel good. If it's makeup DO IT UP!! If it's doing your hair, DO IT! If its like me throw a pony tail in, throw on some jeans, and go DO IT!! It shouldn't be whats on the outside that defines you anyway!!
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Never wear it other than perhaps a special occasion where I have someone to do it for me. I am too lazy and I also have the makeup skills of a 5-year-old boy. I suppose my skin is better this way.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I don't feel the need to dress to the nines to go pick up milk and bread, but I at least have enough self respect to put real pants on and at least brush my hair before leaving.

On a normal day I usually put on a light powder veil, a little eyeliner, (if it all got rubbed off from yesterday, lol) and that's it. I only bother with mascara and eyeshadow if I'm going out somewhere nice. I have contrasting coloring, anyway so I don't feel like I need much to begin with.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I don't feel the need to dress to the nines to go pick up milk and bread, but I at least have enough self respect to put real pants on and at least brush my hair before leaving.

On a normal day I usually put on a light powder veil, a little eyeliner, (if it all got rubbed off from yesterday, lol) and that's it. I only bother with mascara and eyeshadow if I'm going out somewhere nice. I have contrasting coloring, anyway so I don't feel like I need much to begin with.

Going to the shops in pajamas is a truly liberating experience.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    wear all the make up or none of the make up all the time

thats how I live my life man
  • palmerdanielle
    palmerdanielle Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I wear makeup a few times a week, and when I do it's minimal (eyeliner and mascara) and that's it. Occasionally eye shadow. I've never been all that big on makeup, when I was in high school I wore it daily but I got more comfortable with myself and find I don't really need it, it's just to accentuate my eyes when I do. I never use cover up/foundation or any of that crap, I'm lucky to have nice skin and adding a coating over it would probably make me break out, not worth it. But, to each their own for how much makeup they wear and how often, I don't think it's necessary but if it makes you feel better about yourself then go for it.
  • Ramen237
    Ramen237 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I hate make up. Always have.

^^^^ME TOO!! I RARELY do my hair OR makeup. When I do I get questioned...LOL WHY YOU ALL DRESSED UP!!?? However I DO like the comments I get when I do. I have NEVER been one to do this at all. I am a true to the core TOMBOY. Hated dresses (still do most of the time) hate makeup (makes my face feel NASTY, hate taking the time to do my hair (I could be doing more AMZAING things instead). My mother ALWAYS did and still does her hair and makeup, she felt "naked" without it.

I agree there is a shallowness to it, but it's what ever makes you feel good. If it's makeup DO IT UP!! If it's doing your hair, DO IT! If its like me throw a pony tail in, throw on some jeans, and go DO IT!! It shouldn't be whats on the outside that defines you anyway!!

^^^^You are TOTALLY RIGHT! Whatever makes us ladies feel "right" about the way we look should be the standard! It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. If you're just running out to the store to get milk, don't feel compelled to put on gloss, mascara, eyeliner etc etc just because you feel the weight of expectations!

The only thing that matters is how YOU see yourself, and what YOUR expectations are!

I do wear light makeup to work, but I have no problem doing that, and on days off I can go completely without. My boyfriend doesn't see it as a bad thing, and neither do the people that matter to me!
  • ChristinWrites
    ChristinWrites Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I can count the times I wear makeup per year on less than one hand. I can't stand the way it feels and I only wear it on special occasions and then a very minimal amount. My skin is in great shape because of it. The only thing I wear regularly is a bit of lip gloss or chapstick in the winter because my lips get dry - other than that I have no need to be bothered with it. My sister is the polar opposite of me - won't leave the house without being all painted up. What a waste of time we could be out living lol. Just my opinion of course, but I find the ability to leave my home without a mask on liberating. I think it's a farce that women need to paint their faces to be pretty.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Unless I'm going out, like on a Friday or Saturday night where I get dressed up and go out to dinner with my husband, I don't usually wear make up. And even when I do it looks natural.

I have no problem going out and not being "all dolled up", which is pretty much any given day during the week.
  • nataliesweet19
    Options
    I have very blonde eyelashes and feel very insecure without a bit of mascara on. I wish I didn´t feel like that but I can´t help it.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. Not a lot of guys' opinions on this thread..... is there

Not surprising, that.
    Most men don't wear make up and I think most dont really care about whether women do or not - most of the men who have replied have said that here too.

Which makes it sad that people are still writing things like "Ive started wearing make up everywhere in case I meet my future husband" -if you like wearing make up, do so - but don't do it to attract a hypothetical man who nearly always couldn't care less.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 and I love make-up. I usually won't leave the house without it. When I was younger it depended on what I was doing. Going swimming- why waste putting it on. The cute guys will see you after you've hit the water and I didn't want make-up streaks. I have learned that even if you are "Just running to the store" you will run into people and wished you had put it on- such as the boss you had been trying to impress. I may not do the full make-up on a Saturday store run, but, I will have on a little so when I run into people I don't worry that I look terrible. Also, the better you look the better service you receive.

I am also 50 and amazingly I have received good service in most places and most people are friendly and helpful - although I almost never wear makeup. :smile:
    I wear it all occasionally to formal occasions like weddings and just lipstick to going out to dinner type events.

I don't worry about running into my boss on a Saturday morning shop run sans make-up - given I don't wear makeup to work anyway, this would be a non issue :happy:
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I used to wear makeup and style my hair every day until I started working in a jail, now I just put my hair up in a pony tail when I go to work. I don't particularly see the need to get dolled up for inmates :ohwell:

I will wear makeup and style my hair for special occassions though. :flowerforyou:
  • Meerpka
    Meerpka Posts: 20
    Options
    I was raised In Ukraine, where you need to look your best even when you are going to take trash out. I am used to it and I still do it. I love it, it makes me feel great. Sometimes it's simple, sometimes it's false lashes and all that.
  • o0vibeke0o
    o0vibeke0o Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever wear make-up... I may put on some mascara here or there... but unless I have somewhere special I am going or want to look nice I don't wear it.

On the flip side... I do wish I cared more about not leaving the house without make up / my hair done. I always make sure I look decent, and my hair is brushed... but I am sure I would feel better if I did spend more time on me. But I use my three little kids as an excuse, but mostly because I am too lazy. It is a lot of work.
  • mnxl
    mnxl Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    don't wear it ever, if my opinion matters, don't wear makeup, I don't care if your fat,skinny,short or tall, i dated everyone and treated everyone the same, for me its the brains and the confidence that matters. i tell my wife to never wear it, she does not need it, she is beautiful without it. but she still does.
  • RiverCameron
    RiverCameron Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I love makeup :-) I think it's fun! I love to play with color and think a face is a great canvas to experiment with, and if it doesn't work, it takes only seconds to take it off and try something else. I don't wear it for anyone else, male or female, I wear it for me :-)
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    I think it's good and bad. Depends on the face.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I wear it half the time and I go out with my hair in a bun half the time. It depends on where I'm going and what I'm doing. Heading to the market to pick up some milk? No makeup. Going to meet with friends? Eyeliner and lightly styled hair. Going to dinner with the potential of sex at the end? Eyeliner, a little foundation, some eye shadow, some tinted lip gloss and hair done up beforehand with product and rollers.

Situational.
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I "put on my eyebrows" before I go out. I have blonde, nearly invisible eyebrows and eyelashes, and I need to find a new salon for tinting. Otherwise, I only wear it if we are going someplace special, like we were in my photo.