WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2012

Options

Replies

• rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I am new to this board, just looking for additional women in my category - losing weight over 50! So I just bought a fitbit yesterday and was wondering if any of you had tried it and what your input might be. I am just trying to track my activity a little better. Feel free to add me as a friend. I'm Tracy, mom to 23 y/o triplets (bbg) and a 21 y/o daughter. In and out of empty nest, own my own business (www.toerings.com) and live in gorgeous San Clemente CA. I've crawled out of a non-exercise decade and am doing TRX, circuit training, and running! Wow I can't believe I just wrote that! Well, there's me checking in. Loved reading a lot of posts and great camaraderie. Blessings and have a great Monday....Tracy

I love my fitbit. I find my self climbing more stairs just to get more flights on my record. It really motivates me every day.
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit! I now know that I wake up anywhere from 14 to 27 times a night! And one restless night I actually went to the bathroom 11 times!! Anyway, it really is a neat thing to have. I don't have to enter my exercise into MFP anymore because it does it for me. Be sure to sink with us.
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies:

It's been a very frustrating day here. We are having problems with our well most likely the pump. Husband does all our home maintenance if he can. Its just that he is slow moving trying to figure it all out ahead of time. So while he tries to make a decision on which way to go with this I'm having to run up and down the basement steps turning the pump on when I need water and then back down to cut it off. We have hardly any water pressure so when it is on it is slow too.

Well I'm on the way to DD apt. The moving men are coming to take her furniture and appliances to her new house later this afternoon. I told her I would come over and be there while they are with her.

Have had a good day food wise. Have only gotten on the elliptical twice but have been traipsing up and down the steps.

Later,

Cindy
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hello lovely ladies! It’s a Monday, that is for sure! Clinical was very quiet, boring in fact. I sent the students off to study and just got them when their patients needed something. I was supposed to give them a math test, but left it right here by my computer. I hope tomorrow is busier.

I had a frustrating call from my dad in the nursing home. He wants to go see his regular dentist instead of the staff dentist at the home. He needs a lift to get him out of bed and into a chair and he simply doesn’t believe me that the dentist doesn’t have one “just for me”. He actually got belligerent with me…he’s never been that way before. He insists I give him the dentist’s phone number because he wants him to come out there if he can’t go to the office, which the dentist won’t do. He did go twice to fix a bridge he was in the middle of fixing when dad moved in, but of course won’t go for routine cleaning. I am torn about giving him the phone number because he will call and call and annoy them. I think he has the right to know, but he will really pester them. He does that already; he has the phone number for the front desk and if the staff don’t answer his call light fast enough (usually because it is not on LOL) he calls the front, asks to be transferred to the nurses’ station and then yells at them. OMG I take them candy every so often!

Lila: glad you had fun shopping! And I agree, I need a dancing broom to see who it will bother more…dog or cats. The cats didn’t mind the carpet shampoo-er but the dog ran!

Micki: glad you are better and the scales are cooperating! Good plan for the restaurant!

Mamacindy: we have our AC off too and the windows open at night…heavenly!

Kathy: great job on the pants!!!

DeeDee: I still want to see a picture of you in court with tiara!

Gail: WOW what a victory your son has had!!! You son is so lucky to have family and friends being so supportive and caring. That truly is a miracle. I’ll just be glad when mine are gone and I can redecorate!

Michele: thanks for the words of baking wisdom!

Linda: OMG I can’t remember EVER having one job. IN fact after my divorce, I had FOUR jobs just to keep my house. I was not going to lose it!!! I’m hoping the book will be what carries me past retirement. I think things will be better if I can get rid of some of this clinical.

M: My dogs have always been crate trained (mainly to keep the cats from beating them up). We tried to crate train BennyBeagle, but he not only broke the metal gate, he broke two metal gate locks. How he did that with so few teeth is a mystery. One day he got the top lock open and climbed out the top half of the crate and sliced his leg open. Then we had a dog trainer come to our house and she said no more crates…he must be terrified. We tried baby gates (our last 80 pound dog was afraid of them) and he climbs them like ladders. If you shut him in a room, he scratches the door to you-know-what. I guess that is what you might get when you adopt and old dog no one knows anything about! Worse case scenario….diapers!

Nancy :hardwood floors sound better and better!

Kate: that must be frustrating about the police report! Right now I’m writing test banks for nursing text books, I have been hired to be a new editor on a major nursing textbook (that’s the meeting in PA coming up) and the most recent thing is writing 2 chapters for a book that prepares nurses to take a national certification exam in urologic nursing. I would love to write novels, but I seem to have no time! I feel lucky to get a shower!

Well my friends this is short for me and I have missed probably half of you, and for that I am sorry. I did read all your posts and am wishing you strength to meet your goals. I am tired and bleary eyed and need a little snooze! Take care, meg
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Sundance, my pedometer is an Omron HJ-720ITC. I carry it in my pocket so it’s less likely to get lost. It resets automatically at midnight and remembers and displays steps and distance for 7 days so you can look back and compare. It remembers but doesn’t display for a lot longer. It comes with software so that you can download the data onto your computer and see you data for as long as you’ve had the pedometer and see graphs and comparisons. I love it. I put it in my pocket in the morning when I walk the dogs and transfer it when I change clothes and lay it on the counter in the bathroom the last thing at night……about Forks…it is still a sleepy little town at least an hour west of the "boonies" and gets a lot of rain.

I just finished reading “Happier at Home” and loved it but I recommend “The Happiness Project” as the book to read first.

:flowerforyou: Kackie, thank you, I’ll tell my friend in Montana :flowerforyou: what you said about bear spray and walking with a friend.

:flowerforyou: Jb, I am not able to control my eating of the foods that I have banned from my house…….so abstinence for me is as easy as moderation is for other people…..I know how to eat none of some things and I know how to eat the whole package but I don’t know how to eat just one…..I lived in Eureka, California for over 30 years before I moved to NW Washington so my entire adult life has been spent in a cloudy, foggy, cool, rainy climate…..when we moved to Eureka in 1961, someone told my mother that they had two seasons, rainy season and the 4th of July.:laugh:

:flowerforyou: Meg, my pedometer is Omron HJ-720ITC….I got it on Amazon for about $70.00 and I love it.

:flowerforyou: Jake picked a lot of blackberries when he was house sitting so we have many bags of them in the freezer….I use them only in my Isagenix shakes and they are heavenly……the birds seem to be grabbing the berries in our neighborhood as soon as they are ripe so there are none for me.

:bigsmile: We got up at 3 AM so Jake could go fishing…..since I was up, the dogs got lots of extra walking……I went to the final two hour practice with the line dance performing group and then came home, walked the dogs again, and took a nap at the computer……Jake brought home four beautiful salmon so I’m glad you have all been sharing your ways to cook salmon.

:bigsmile: I can hardly wait…..Dancing With the Stars is on tonight.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
    1925484spnm6tfcy2.gif
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good early evening ladies:flowerforyou:

Cindy:smile: I'm going to have to get my daughter to help me post pics, when it comes to things like that I'm just lost! Hope you got your well repaired, just think of all that extra exercise you got by running up and down the stairs!

Carolyn:smile: I love the chocolate vitatops, heated with fresh strawberries and a dollop of whipped cream:love: !

Tigress:smile: I'm sure those 3 pounds will fall off, probably just water gain. I however know the frustration you're feeling:sad: , hang in there!

Kathy:smile: keeping my fingers crossed for you for the job!!!!

M:smile: celebrate your .3 loss! I'm right there with you, so far this month as of today I've lost.3, I've lost 32 lbs. since May and my body evidently likes this weight, I have however lost inches 1" in my hips, and 1/2" in my waist, I'm happy!!! I know the rest of it will come off, I no longer have a time frame for it though. I did up my walking some, I think that contributed to the inches lost. Hang in there, it'll come off!!!

Jb:smile: hope you had a good run!

Nancy:smile: your weekend sounds like loads of fun!!!!

Laura80111:flowerforyou: congrats to hubby for losing 6 pounds!!! It's so nice that you workout together!!!

Wessecg:smile: glad you're feeling better today!

Kate:smile: sodium gets me every time grrr:grumble: , drink lots of water! Did you find your fall flowers?

Thoogenboom:smile: welcome to the group:flowerforyou: , come in often and chat with us! This is the best group of women, full of inspiration and motivation!!!

Meg:smile: it's good to be busy, makes the day go by faster! Hope things with your dad settles down, he sounds like he's a real pistol:laugh: . Boy, BennyBeagle really didn't like the crate, when I first started crate training Noel she was one unhappy puppy, she would sit in that crate and howl the entire time, I couldn't believe the noise coming from such a little puppy:laugh: , when she got quite I had to check on her and make sure she was still alive:laugh: . It took a good week before she just accepted it. Now she's 7 and no longer has to go in the crate when.I'm gone, she is really a good dog. Other than she likes to bark at everything, I tell her she's mouthy and sassy.

I got more decorations out today, the tree in my foyer is waiting to be decorated, and I still have boxes and bags in the great room, hopefully I'll get it all done by Thursday. I'm going to grandparents day for the 11 year old on Friday and she gets to come home with me around lunch time and I'd like to have most of it done by then. She's already told me she wants to drive the golf cart in the afternoon, last time we did that she drove for about 2 1/2 hours, while it's fun, its okay on the driveway, but going through the yard and the field you get bounced around a lot:noway: ! Oh what I let those granddaughters do:tongue: . Well, I think my beef stew is done, it smells yummy, hope it tastes that way too.
    Sorry for those I missed!!
    Hope you all have a great night!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee
  • djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday! I have been in a funk for the last couple of days so it was great to read all the positive and upbeat posts...I usually workout in the am...did not get up with the early alarm...but I did ride the bike (in the basement) when I got home from work...that helped with the funk too.

Tomorrow my mother is giving me my first knitting lesson...I decided it was time to learn...we shall see how this goes...my ulterior motive though is to get mom to eat a non-frozen dinner and to maybe get her to cook at least a couple of times a week...she eats frozen lean cuisine dinners every night..she doesn't believe that these are processed food...she thinks it is healthy...:noway:

Gail - what an inspiring story and journey for your family..I will keep you all in my prayers

Congratulations on all the losses in pounds and inches this is an amazing group...I wonder how many pounds have been lost as a group?

Hugs, high fives and prayers for challenges and blessings
    :heart:
    Jen
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    It's finally time to sit down a bit. The kitchen is cleaned up, the coffee set for morning and the second half of the permanent press is in the dryer.

@ mwheatcraft - I'd give the sod cutter mixed reviews. The goal for us is to get the grass off the slopes so we don't have to mow them anymore. We had already sprayed down the grass with chemicals so the top layer came off easily, though we didn't really get up slices of dirt like you see when you buy sod, nor would the blade cut much into the hard packed soil. The places it worked best were the flat areas that weren't so dry. There we actually did get some pieces that looked like sod. Slopes, of course, dry out quickly. There are a number of you tube videos that were helpful as to what to expect. Some said it works best on dry soil, another would say better to have the soil moist. After using it, I'd say a bit moist (not soaked), would work better. It was definitely a wrestling match.

RE: HRM -- I can't get an accurate reading on them because of the beta blocker they put me on after my heart valve surgery in March. It suppresses the heart rate, which makes it difficult to judge cardio, etc. Initially they told me to only raise my HR 30 beats above my starting rate, and it would be in the 50s when I began. Doesn't make for much of a workout! Today I was on the treadmill at 3.5, at a 2.0 incline for 30 minutes and my max HR was 113. I do watch the HR, but mostly go by the perceived exertion scale.

@ Jen - yay for learning to knit. My mom was a master at it, but I enjoy the basics I can do. It is so relaxing to me. Enjoy!
    Thanks for all the well wishes for DS1. Tonight he was all bubbly talking about the different places the rental agent thought would be a good fit for them. The two fellows will go to visit/choose on Saturday I think. After all those years of butting heads they really enjoy each other's company now. Another blessing....

Well, the dryer beckons... Good night all! I know I'll have to check in before work to stand a chance of keeping up with the posts.
    Gail
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

I am just plum wore out. I Barely can keep awake I think its all of this lovely cool weather or what ..... but I am calling it a night.

Yet I had to stop in and catchup on the posts. I so look forward to it. I wll take time in the morning to reply.

Hope everyone has a good evening,

Night Liz
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    About the WW cake - I am not a fan of diet drinks. However, I do make a WW cake which is basically an angel food cake mix and you add a 20oz can of crushed pineapple to it. That's IT. You don't add anything else. To me, sometimes angel food cake can be a bit on the "bland" side, but the pineapple adds just a bit of "zing". You bake it just the same way you'd bake any other angel food cake.

Polly - good for you purging your clothes! I can't stand anything close to my neck like a turtleneck. I need to have something that's lower cut. Wow! You'll be at 5 miles in no time at all.

Linda Sundance - we get this stuff called "Krud Kutter for Red Clay". We can only purchase it over the internet, but they do deliver it to a Lowe's store. Be sure to get the Krud Kutter for RED CLAY. There are lots of different Krud Kutters. That stuff is fantastic for getting out the red clay. I spray it on clothes, I've used it on the rugs, all different things. I know how nasty that stuff can be to get out, but that Krud Kutter really works.

Gail - words just can't begin to describe how I'm feeling about your son. Others are so much better than I am with words.

Well, it looks like the guys who are building the retaining wall will be here tomorrow. I swear, there's that saying "if you want to make God laugh, make a plan". Pool installations must have Him rolling in the aisles. They haven't even started on the steps yet. The PLAN was that Justin (the project manager) and the concrete guys would be here to talk about pouring concrete. However, without the steps, there's no sense in talking concrete. You know, the bobcat that these guys have reminds me so much of R2D2. I think it's the tread. Whenever I see the guy driving it, I half expect it to make the sound.

Linda - good for you getting to the gym. Before you know it, if you don't go you'll feel like you're missing something. I know that if I don't exercise for one day, I feel like I'm missing something.

DeeDee - had you carved that pumpkin that went bad? They shouldn't (operative word) go bad unless they've been carved.

Did 20 minutes of yoga today then an hour of the extremepump class. Tomorrow I'll do a (I think it is) 45 minute step DVD then there is a Newcomer board meeting. I'll go and take Vince's report with me.

After the extremepump class, came home, then bowled 6 games. I've learned my lesson -- don't prepay. I have coupons for free games of bowling, but it took extra long because they were having trouble with the ball return. Then I went and deposited money into the Newcomer account, stopped at WalMart for more ice for tomorrow to have in the freezer. Now home, will have dinner, then hosting mahjongg here tonight. Also, did a load of laundry.

Kate - big congrats on crossing over

Tracy - welcome! Sounds like you're right on with the exercising. Tell me more. Don't have a fitbit, but I know there are other women on here who do so I'm sure they'll give you testimony about it.

Cindy - We used to be on a well, and I hated it when we had pump problems. Hope yours aren't long lasting.

Meg - taking care of elderly parents can really be a challenge and I think you're handling it quite well.

We played mahjongg here tonight. Tomorrow there is a board meeting of the Newcomers. I'll go and Vince will stay home to talk to the concrete guys (assuming they're here). Then in the afternoon I have an eye MD appt.

Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • glendalight
    glendalight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hello all. i hope you all had a faabulous day. Mine started with amorning outing for aquacise, returning some medical equipment and a visit and coffee with a friend and ended up with a long stint at the library tutoring inEnglish and teaching a class - a full day!
    Last week I had a quick look at my monthly goals for September to see how I was doing
    -journal food daily....check
    -begin physical activity after doctors permission....check
    - purge closet....half a check (still working at it)
    - begin regular devotional reading.....check
    - check in with family doctor..... will get on that this week
    okay, so now i know where I need to step it up.

Cindy- I am in southern Alberta, just north of the American border. We would normally have had some frost by now but we have had a beautiful month of warm weather with temps consistently in the mid to high twenties.(high seventies to 80's) I would think normal might be more in the high teens (65) but we haven't had normal for awhile. Good work on the elliptical - I never find it very comfortable and use it reluctantly!!

Nancy -Oh a bike ride along the Kootenay shore sounds wonderful.. I know those roads are a bit of a mecca for motorbikes!!

Jb - I think you are right on the carbs(as in bread, rice, etc) being an addiction. It is one of the things I have the most trouble controlling and find I have more luck cutting them out all together. I have no trouble avoiding the sweet variety but the salty ones call my name!

Laura - how nice to have a hubby that spurs you on in the battle! :happy: My husband also likes to bike but he is more the 50 -100 km road warrior and I am the round the block with Mary Poppins kind of girl! not too compatible.:ohwell:

Kate - I think 'obese to overweight' is a commendable accomplishment! A step toward better health! And what a positive outlook on your workplace "a fascinating study in human behaviour" :smile: They are lucky to have you there to brighten the work environment! and yes, I returned the medical aids today - but hadn't used the walker for so long, that I forgot to take it or back:blushing: One more trip for me.
    Is your husband a commercial pilot? I know what you mean about men who can't play - my DH comes home, collapses and falls asleep! That exhaustion can not be healthy!! I have also had to just go do things on my own - beats sitting at home and doing nothing and being cranky!

I went to physio on Friday and got some exercises - though I am pretty sure they were in the hospital pre-op handout. Could have saved a hundred bucks! But I had better go do them Apparently reading the sheet is not enough!:laugh:

Good night all. Go well, stay well.. g
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    We certainly are a chatty bunch here. I'm scared to miss a day or I'll be reading for a week to catch up.:bigsmile:

Micki – the WW cake sounds interesting. I’ll give it a try, next time I need a cake for something (or I could try it out on the Public Works crew – nah, they’ll eat anything so it wouldn’t be a fair assessment- lol). Good job on the breakthrough BTW.:flowerforyou:

Kathy – congratulations on the lower size – it feels so good doesn’t it? :flowerforyou: What’s with everyone getting new pillows?

Gail – my girls got an apartment together in university and ended up living with each other for 5 years after. They only split up when they went to different graduate schools. It’s funny how the sibling rivalry disappears at a certain age and the love replaces it. What an amazing story about your son’s recovery. I was afraid to keep reading at one point but what an inspiring story – you brought tears to my eyes too. Thank you for sharing.:heart:

OK Robin, talking about blackberry crepes with lemon cream cheese was cruel. I felt like Pavlov’s dog, salivating away…..Yes, you certainly do love to cook and it sounds like you are a very good one.

Nice photo Liz. :happy:

Michele – you are a very energetic woman! I live only a couple of miles from the 49th parallel. Just on the Canadian side of the WA / BC border about 2 hours north of Spokane WA. We’re right in the middle of autumn, trees are turning but the weather is still 27C (and I think that is around 80ish but I can’t remember conversion anymore):blushing: .

Polly – good on the bike ride, I’m sure you make the 5 miles next time.

Glenda – I too am having issues getting enough calories some days. After I had a Chubby Chicken burger on Saturday, I felt so awful that I really didn’t eat much on Sunday. I think it was the fat that upset my system (they didn’t have a grilled filet). I worry about messing up the metabolism and the “starvation mode” thing every time MFP tells me I’m not eating enough calories. :noway:

Linda – If you got this far on the post, you know where I live now. My fur people are 2 Australian Cattle Dogs and a tortoiseshell cat (just out of kittenhood now). All are rescues, Rex 10 years ago, Evie 18 mos ago (got her from Idaho). Mookers the cat was abandoned in a box by the mailbox so ended up staying. I don’t think I’ve chosen an animal for 20 years now, we just seem to find each other somehow. Some of them have been old so our time together has only been a few years (but always lovely years). I have a soft spot for old sick dogs evidently (and obviously a subliminal need to give money in copious amounts to veterinarians).

Carolyn – yes Tilapia is a very mild fish. You might need to use something to give it a little more taste though. Maybe Robin could send you some of her yummy blackberry sauce – lol. I usually make mango salsa to go on top.

Kathy – you rock that interview girl!! It sounds like a rather interesting process – so the better they like you the longer they grill you?:bigsmile: Sorry to be ignorant, but what is MDA?

Mwheatcraft - if I was really industrious, I would have mended those things before I packed them away – lol. Now I have to do the little things like hems and buttons etc. before I donate them. I can’t stand donating something unless it is in excellent shape (sort of like moving house, you have to leave the old one spotless).

JB – took your advice and ate lots of greens… actually I was listening to the radio this morning while doing makeup and this “Queen of Kale” was saying all sorts of wonderful things about it. So I went and bought some and used one of the recipes she posted. It was really, really good (sautéed kale, leeks, portobellos and a little chicken stock). Definitely a keeper.

Nancy – too funny, twice in one day dead batteries. :laugh: But the motorbike ride sounds delightful. What a great fall day to do it as well.

Kate – love the emergency pizza line. And I think changing weight categories classifies as a great victory. Your sign off, “choose happiness” made me think. I’m by nature pretty optimistic and I am always surprised by people who look for problems and drama, they should just choose happiness when they have that option.:ohwell:

Cindy – did you log all the running up and down the stairs – silver linings etc.

Barbie – in Northern Ontario they have 2 seasons too, winter and July. And at least one doesn’t have to shovel rain where you are.

Michele (again) – I’m going to try your WW cake too but I think I’m going to add a bit of ginger to heighten the zing.

Well, back to work Monday for me. The day just flew by. I was good and took my lunch to work, but didn’t take a break then. Went to visit a friend in the hospital and then a long walk to get my head around how lucky I am to be healthy. Oops, forgot to log that one. Does anyone else forget to log exercise? I think it’s because it leaves me with more calories to fill and I’m having trouble wit that (and I hate getting that MFP message about not eating enough). I must have a very slow metabolism.

Tried some veggie “chicken cutlets” tonight – they were surprisingly good but I had a hard time looking at that orange coating (reminded me of JBoy’s issue with orange food). Anyway, off to drink some more water then read for awhile.

Good night to all and to all a good night (whoops, wrong season).

Lila
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Amanda: I have 2 antique maps but I can’t remember the name of the cartographer. Someone whose studio had a fire; they have soot marks on them that helped authenticate them. My brother has the third, and this one is a Blau. They are all registered with the Library of Congress here. I would love to see your gallery! It sounds fabulous! What a great job.
    It's good to hear someone is interested in cartography! Do you know which Blaeu your brother has? He was a wonderful cartographer. We actually sold a couple of items to the Library of Congress earlier this year.

I'm trying to catch up with all the posts, so will be back in a wee while.

Amanda x
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone;

I'm hoping to have a better day today. The well problem isn't fixed yet but I've I'm confident it will at least get fixed by this weekend when my husband is off from work. The movers got my daughters furniture and appliances moved and today I am going back over to her apt and pack up her kitchen. She really doesn't have that much so it shouldn't take too long.

We've started a new Bible Study at Church and I've met a new lady who doesn't live very far from me. She likes to kyack and has invited me for lunch on Thursday after the study and then out to the lake to learn. Should be interesting.

I did go over my calories yesterday but when I hit the finished logging button it still said I would weigh less than I do now in 5 weeks so I didn't freak out about being over. Baby steps are better than no steps at all.

DeeDee: I had to get my son to upload my pictures too so I guess we are about the same with the computer issues. What tree are you talking about decorating?

I hope all the rest of you have a wonderful day. If I can keep my attitude in check I'll be doing good. At least I can pack some things and take a shower at DD's apt. while I'm there :wink:
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Reporting on the swai fish we had for dinner last night, I can say that it appears to have the salmon-magic as I am down almost a pound this morning. It is also very mild flavored. DH just did it up on a griddle on the stove and it was delicious.

Michele - thanks for the tip on the Krud Kutter. Georgia clay is a mess!

Glendalight - revisiting goals sounds like a good idea. Hard to believe the month is nearly gone.

Mamacindy - though I've only been once, kayaking was fun. For my 50th birthday we had banked our timeshare weeks and invited family to meet us in Las Vegas. We booked several 2-bed/2-bath units and people came and went during the week according to their availability. On my actual birthday our sons and I kayaked down the river just below the Hoover Dam for the whole day. (They had a pick up at the far end at a set time to return you to the parking area.) I enjoyed it so much!

Mamacindy, what is your Bible study?

Everyone have a great day -- things to do before work.

Gail
  • stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Good morning, everyone! Feeling great this morning, with just a little cough left over from my cold and the scale showing that I have lost 3.5 pounds this week! Which seems a lot, but the scale didn't move last week, so I guess I have experienced one of those 'whooshes' I've read about somewhere on the forums.

Last night I had planned to have a little dish of ice cream, but I found myself craving spinach and strawberries. I sure am moving more now that I've joined MFP--my water bottle keeps me heading to the sink and then the bathroom, while eating fresh foods takes me to the grocery store twice a week instead of once...

I've caught up with all the postings here...what a tapestry of experiences...with positive support woven through it all. Have a healthy, happy and successful day!
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Some good news. My cousin is recovering well from his quintuple heart bypass. I spoke to my aunt and she has been to visit him and he was able to chat - although he was 'stoned' to quote his daughter!

It's his birthday tomorrow - also my dad's. Not the best place to celebrate, but hopefully this will give him a new lease of life.

London is extremely chilly at present and I'm really feeling it in all my joints so my exercise is more of a chore. I am definitely suffering from middle age and dry rot!

Must do some more work.

Hugs to all.
    Love
    Amanda x
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Tuesday, Tuesday so glad you’re here….

Whew! I did my "Tia the Trainer" workout yesterday and sweated buckets the whole time. :explode: Today I'm "aching in the places I used to play" (That's a Leonard Coen quote...) Tomorrow I want to see muscles!

Laura, your husband sounds like a keeper :love: and how did you ever find something that fits the menu plan at a Mexican place. I love Mexican food even the salad is full of cheese and sour cream!

Why DO some men loose weight so quickly? Mine is one of those too.

Kate! What a great attitude toward your many temporary bosses – to watch as each of them stamps out his/her own territory as a “fascinating study in human behaviour” :laugh: You’ve got it right!

Speaking of locking the keys in the car and leaving it running…when we lived in “The North” (Fort Nelson) it was common practice at 40 below to leave the car running while going into a shop or the post office. I had a set of keys that separated, one for the ignition, one for the doors. My daughter was a newborn. (You can see where this is going, can’t you?) I was in that fog that new mothers get. I jumped out of the car, slammed the door, turned around :noway: and she was locked in. At 40 below. At least the car was still running. The lock-smith was very kind and said I was not the first. The neighbours got a good giggle. Now, since this is the place for honesty in all things, I will confess I did the same thing to my son when he was about three, :grumble: under very different circumstances.

Tracy, welcome. :drinker:

Cindy, did you count the running down to the basement as steps on your exercise plan? Hope it’s fixed today.

Hi Meg, hope you have another quiet day so you can get a few pages ahead on the book.

DeeDee, is it a Halloween tree in your foyer?

Jen, how did the knitting lesson go?

Michelle, I don’t usually use mixes when I’m baking, but that angel food cake + pineapple sounds too good to resist. I love the image of the guys driving R2D2 around your back yard. :happy:

Gail, your mid-month check looks pretty positive to me. Well done.

Lila, your comment about the public works crew “They’ll eat anything…” made me giggle :happy: and then made me think of Grade 7 boys. That’s where I take my extra baking! I heard that same “Queen of Kale” interview on CBC and I think I’ll try the recipe tonight. I’ve got all the ingred’s in my fridge.

Stardancer! 3.5 down! Go you!

Amanda, I am so glad to hear your cousin is doing well. Stay warm in drippy London.

Off the couch and on to the day....

Hasta pronto,

Nancy
  • janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Good morning, Ladies!

I'm a bit slow on the uptake, but it just occurred to me that four weeks of doing well without much, if any, weight loss must be a plateau. Duh!!! Now comes the question of how to break it. I have some 2-day plateau busters that I got when I did Slimgenics about five years ago, but truly hate the notion of "dieting," if only for a couple of days. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, for those of you who've lost a lot, do you eat your exercise calories back? I know there is a LOT of discussion about that on the site, but just wondered what those of you my age with experience think.

Megblair -- You mentioned working on a book. I'm new enough to the site that I've missed that -- are you writing one?

Micki -- Huge congrats on getting below the 200 mark!!! That's wonderful!

Sasha -- Glad you had so much fun doing your "retail" therapy -- one of my favorite forms, as well! Congrats on breaking the 145 mark!

Kackie -- I'm jealous that you got to see moose. I love them!

Kathyszoo -- How did the interview go yesterday? Also, are you feeling any better?

Glendalight -- Sunset Fisherman's is near the beginning of Playacar on the beach, isn't it? We're at El Faro, right next to the lighthouse off of La Quinta Avenida and 10th St.

I hope you all have a wonderful and successful day!
  • junekaatz
    junekaatz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Good morning! And a lovely sunny morning it is!

Well, the police report took a good deal longer than expected and there are some mighty unsavoury characters haunting those halls! The case will be given to an officer who hopefully investigates before the 2 week time window on the video tapes lapses. The alleged thief is still working the same shift with my son!! The laisez-faire attitude of his employers leaves a lot to be desired but I guess they can’t fire the fellow until they see the tapes! But they are certainly in no hurry! I felt like I spent a good deal of the day running around trying to get my son sorted on all the missing items. For sure he will never get them back at this rate. Had three new sets of keys cut, one for my son and two for emergencies… which happen on a regular basis, usually when my husband leaves them behind going through airport security.

Today I must take our big suitcase in for repair of all the zippers and hope we can get it back before New York. The airlines are so hard on suitcases it frustrates me. My husband just came back from a week in Montreal¸ he travels a great deal and we go through suitcases like crazy. I am almost thinking those big metal ones might be a good investment.

Work will be interesting; our new manager might not last through the day according to her trainer from HO. Yikes! Here we go again! I dropped by work last night and had a chat with her and she said to watch her today, if her jaw was set firmly and she was kicking walls in the back, hell was going to break loose. Oh dear! Think I might take in some chocolate; it worked in Harry Potter for fixing things!

Didn’t make it to the garden center, didn’t get flowers. I did however get to the bookstore and picked up two travel hand books, one for New York and one for Dublin (next year’s conference in April.)

Last night I was rattled for some reason, I had been good all day but around 9pm a switch flipped and I wanted food!!! I drank 2 bottles of water but I still wanted food. It was like some nervous craving from somewhere deep. I had a bite of cheese, a few chocolate chips, a little left over stir- fry, I kept hunting for food like it was being kept from me and I was going to starve to death! I didn’t need it but I was being driven towards it. I was so glad to go to bed last night.

Well, today is another day! I wonder what it will bring, there are so many possibilities!

Will catch up with everyone later,

Be good to yourselves, my friends,

Kate