WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2012

Options

Replies

• JNHeff
    JNHeff Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    thanks, Laura!
    i guess the main difference in the trip yesterday was that i was on the cane, and i get more support from the walker... when i go to the grocery or Wal-Mart, i am using a shopping cart, and it has a lot more support than that cane. i mentioned it at physical therapy today, and the therapists were THRILLED that i spent that much time on the cane.... you're right~ i'm definitely going to have to build up my strength and stamina.
    take care, and i hope you have a GREAT tomorrow! :flowerforyou:

janie:heart:
  • djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    So the knitting lesson went pretty well...I am a little challenged with it but learnedly to cast on and am just going round and round with knitting...I have to maken18 rows before decreasing...making a hat....I don't know it looks awfully twisty on the needles and not very even...may need to be checked before I finish all the rows:wink: mom did cook dinner and it was fine and she had a little leftover. I don't cook meals for her because I want her to stay independent as long as possible...I am trying to be optimistic that she will make some real food at least a couple times a week..cant hurt to try ..she is 79 and has copd so just trying to keep her as long as we can...even when she makes me nuts!! :laugh:

Rode the bike this am...8 miles..no tennis because my back is still a little sore from last week...may try some weights tomorrow.

Love all the inspiring posts..have a good night
    :heart:
    Jen
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Well, I had a good first dayat work but now have a 3 week vacation! After just getting home from my first day, I got a call that the project I was working on got pushed back. So now, I don't go back for 3 weeks but then it'll still last five weeks. At least they like me enough to still want me back and in the meantime I can still pursue a few other job leads and go back to my de-cluttering.:smile: After sittiing all day, I took my dogs for a brisk 10 minute walk, which I know doesn't seem like much, but it's a big deal for me between the foot and knee!

Finally just caught up on all the posts but getting sleepy so won't write more now. Time to get off the couch and do my chair exercises!

My thoughts and well wishes are with all of you!:flowerforyou:

Kathy
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: thank you for the kind words about my new picture....actually it's not new, it's from 2009 when I was in Trail, BC within a hundred miles of where Nancy and Lila live.....the background is the Columbia River.......it was a milestone time for me because we were there close to Canada Day and I bought myself two Canada t shirts in size small after decades of size XL.

:bigsmile: the reason I don't keep bread in my house is that once I have one piece, I want the whole loaf.:laugh: :laugh: abstinence is easier for me than moderation.

:love: :bigsmile: today was the line dance performance at the assisted living place.......we did well and the audience was enthusiastic.....we danced twelve dances and everyone in the audience stayed until the end......one woman kept time to the music and tapped her hands through all the dances....at the end she got up using a walker.....when I talked to her, she told me that she used to line dance and she misses dancing......it reminded me that "Now is now" and I should enjoy the moment because there's no way of knowing what the future will bring.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

"The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."

"The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed."
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    That's funny Barbie. The reason I never eat bread is because I only like it with a slab of butter on every bite.
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    what a wonderful group of women!! Read some of your postings and you are all amazing. I am Pam, from Pittsburgh. I am a nurse practitioner in a busy ER. It has been a long 18 months and still have 25# to go. Who knew that I would ever say that I enjoy going to the gym or miss it when I can't get there.
    Looking forward to getting to know you all better.

Pam
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Good Evening Ladies,

Today went ok overall. The 1st group the one I was worried about went ok it was my afterschool group today that kept melting down. But it is understandable they have been at school all day than to me for 3 more hours makes a long day for them.

@Meg what I mean by stressing them most of these clients fall on the austim scale. One when coping is to keep rocking in her chair. The other is to bang the table etc they most have a sensitive to noise except to the ones they create.

@M Congrats on the walking.

@Kathy--That is great that they want you back, At least its some money coming in and hopefully soon you will get a a regular k
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Barbie – so nice you were in Trail which is 15 km from me (12 miles). At that time I was just moving from Northern Ontario to take the job here. They say music and dance is one of the connectors for people that doesn’t disappear over time. Wouldn’t it be nice if the lady could have joined in with hand dancing or something.
    Love your first quote, I will remember that when I’m trying to take the long view.

Kathy – glad your first day was good, what a way to score, 1 day work then 3 weeks off.

Jen – knitting in the round does look twisty until you get enough done for it to look more like a tube. Enjoy your time with your mom.

Cathy – so glad you decided to check in and found out you were not doing badly. Nothing like success to keep you motivated. Good job!

Glenda – I did the same thing with the ice cream one night. I had done a lot of work and realized I had eaten even less than I normally do so I had the ice cream and chocolate sauce to bump it up.

Beach163 – welcome to the post and check in often – jump in with both feet!

Meg – good luck with your faculty member (maybe she will clue in). And good on you for walking anyway.

Laura – glad you plan on sticking around. I’m pretty sure I would put the weight back on too if I didn’t keep logging. I’m thinking this is going to be a long term project to lose and keep it off. Yay for meeting your September weight loss goal! I’ll give you a drum roll and a cymbal clash too. Sending good wishes for your DH’s job search. Sorry about your Court hearing – the little guy seems to always be at the end of the queue.

JB – thanks for doing the research for me – appreciated. I always thought of instant rice as bad. I’m quite surprised about the arsenic thing, it’s amazing what poisons we have unwittingly put in our planet. I just took a whole bunch of my ripened tomatoes and zucchini and fresh oregano and basil from the garden and made vegetarian spaghetti sauce for freezing. My virtual age is 42 life expectancy 98 – that was fun.

Lin – I think it’s stress – you are doing a lot of extra caregiving and that is always stressful. You know your feeling about kale – that’s me and parsnips and turnips. I keep trying but just can’t choke them down. Only veggies I can’t stand (except raw celery – I like it cooked, lightly steamed).

Mwheatcraft – It was kind of you to listen to that verbal diarrhea when you probably weren’t feeling that well. Sometimes the kindness of strangers is what gets someone through a trying time. Can’t see myself doing that though (I mean the talking, not the listening. Anyway – good on you.

Kate – sounds like the work stress actually is causing some issues with you after all. Keep telling yourself that you can only do what you are able to, it’s not your call. And quit worrying about things that are out of your control.

Sundance/Linda – just remember you will not be given more than you can handle. God is good that way….
    On another note – kale – the show I listened to said that kale is unusual in that it’s nutrition is boosted by cooking which is a very rare thing in vegetables. Your DD cooking story was really funny. It’s amazing how they eventually do learn to cook just fine. My daughter once phoned me from university 3 time zones away to ask how to scramble eggs - I felt like such a failure for not making her learn to cook. That was 10 years ago and funny thing is, I bought her a Joy of Cooking a couple of years ago and now she is an excellent and knowledgeable cook in her own right. Once in awhile she phones for a home recipe that hasn’t been written down (e.g. Potato and Leek soup). And the strangest thing is that her learning to cook on her own somehow translates to me not feeling like a failure for not teaching her (even though it has nothing to do with me). Sorry about running on there….

Nancy – I too am going to use Liz’s “coping skills” thought. Nice paradigm shift.
    I also am going to use your last paragraph and think every morning about what I am looking forward to in the day ahead.

I was just reading an article about sleep – how there is a huge correlation between reduced sleep levels and obesity. Hmmm. What’s that old adage – early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise. I’m going to make a point of getting 7 hopefully 8 hours of sleep a night. And get up earlier so I don’t have to rush – hey that sort of sounds like some October goals creeping in here.

It’s Trash 2 Treasure Day here on Saturday so I have to go sort out my good pass-on stuff so I can get it out on the curb for the Treasure Hunters. Sort of fits in with the de-cluttering doesn’t it.

Have a good night ladies and I look forward to all your posts and activities and successes and challenges overcome tomorrow.

Lila
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I tried that fun web site too. It turns out that I am virtually 40.7. (I'm actually 64.) And I will live to be 103.3:laugh: Fun!
  • junekaatz
    junekaatz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi, Its time for bed and my stomach is in knots. It is time I finally admit it, work is getting to me, I cannot laugh about it much more. The new boss was in fighting form today and so was the trainer. Add into the mix, the owner, a brilliant man with his head in the clouds, no clue! I fee like we are traveling down a gravel road , on the shoulder, through a swamp in a car with square wheels. Last night I ate half a bar of dark Lindt choclate and tonight was just as bad. Good grief! The next two weeks will be the trial period that we must all get through.

At least the police phoned my son about the theft. Nothing showed up on the store video tapes but they will continue to investigate. I took my son to have his prescription glasses replaced ( expensive!) as I am sure he has no chance of recovering any of his lost property. I am just really gauled the the company has still not called him, in fact they seem so totally uncooperative in this whole matter. They obviously do not value their employees.

I am so tired tonight so I will wish you all sweet dreams and I hope to catch up on everyone`s posts tomorrow. Perhaps the sun will be shining a little brighter tomorrow. Tomorrow I will chose happiness again.

Good night, Kate
  • cheran20
    Options
    Hi. I am new to this site and am trying once again to lose weight that I had regained! It is harder now that I am in 52! Looking for motivation and tips from people who have had success on this site.
  • LindaS175
    LindaS175 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Ladies, good evening!:happy:

I got up at 0730 after going to bed around 0300. I could not sleep. Took my daughter to school and slept from 10 am to 12 noon. Got up did a few things around the house, then out the door to take my other daughter to school. She needed to talk to the high school counselor. Sat at the school waiting for the girls to get their work /business done, On the way home had to stop off and pick up our organic fruits/veggies from our CSA-, Got home and then sat down and worked for 4 hours. Got off work at 9pm, took care of the dogs, watched the news and then to MFP. I at least have the day off tomorrow. I will be able to catch up on the laundry, after I take my daughter to the oral surgeon. She needs to have a tooth pulled down that is growing in sideways. Tomorrow is just the consult, we schedule surgery at this apt. I am going to the GYM tomorrow. I have not had a moment to care for me with the exercise I want to be doing!! So,needless to say I dont think I once met my goal this month about being in bed before 10pm. Always another day to try! For this I thank thank the LORD! :drinker: :drinker:

M- very kind of you for being a listening person for the lady that really needed to talk. Thank you for the information about the WW scale. The WW scale shows our weight about 2 lbs heavier than the dial scale. The girls don’t like this fact, so we will keep the old dial scale for awhile.:laugh:

Lin, thanks for the scale info. Tomorrow I will give the new scale a try. I keep adding sodium to my day,so I don’t want to weight the next day. I am aiming for Friday as my weigh in day. :flowerforyou:

JB- thanks for the info about converted rice. There has been a lot of info about arsenic in rice here. I have not had a chance to do any research about it. I am wondering if this also includes organic brown rice. We don’t eat it that much, but I use it to make Spanish rice etc. Scale moving down, down is a good thing! :drinker: :drinker:

Laura80111, thanks for the support with kids and chores. I tell them, ”who is going to pick up and clean up after you when you are on your own?”-Lol, that doesn’t change a thing! Congrats on meeting your goal !! That’s awesome! My husband has done the same thing to me ”you should of said this or did that” when I got home from a few depositions. Men! Sometime ya just want to say, ok Mr, you should have just come with me!! I hope the rest of your day went well! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Meg, I don’t know how you can stand to be sooo busy. I have worked my overtime in the day, but I never worked that much! The one thing I know for sure that nurses here in the west are not treated as professionals. My friend lived and worked in Wisconsin. She worked there as an R.N. When she moved to California, she could not believe how differently nurses were treated here. Maybe , that is why you are able to work so much. One job here is enough! :grumble: :grumble: :ohwell: :ohwell:

Anjoneill-congrats on your 24th wedding anniversary! Must be nice to have a holiday! :drinker: :drinker:

G- sounds like you had a busy day. Hope all went well with your company this evening! :flowerforyou:

Tigress- glad you are eating more and feeling better! :flowerforyou:

Cathy in NovaScotia- glad you were able to rein in your calories and you are back on track! Just another day of learning and planning to do it better next time! :drinker: :drinker:

Jen, glad that you got your knitting off to a great start. I learned how to knit when I was a kid. It was really fun. That is a good plan about keeping your mom independent. I think that as we get older that is one of the things that we really need to hold on to as long as possible! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Kathy, try to just enjoy your vacation for me. I know you would rather be working, but the Lord must have something in store for you over the next 3 weeks! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Barbie, your day at the assisted living facility, just brought a smile to my heart. I can feel how much it must have meant to all those people to see the dancing, and the one lady who used to dance. You brought them a bit of happiness to the day. Now is now, Thank you for this reminder, as with the business in day to day life, we often forget this! :heart:

Pam- welcome to the group! You have had great success with 164lbs lost. Congrats! :drinker: :drinker:

Liz-bless you and for the work that you do! Not just anyone can have that understanding, kindness and patience that you have!

Lila, thank you for the kind words. Some days, I think God gave me someone’s elses work to do! That is a good story about your daughter. She knew just who to call to learn how to cook scrambled eggs, so that is powerful in itself! Nice to hear that she is a great cook now! I didn’t know that about kale and cooking it. Oh, I have so much to learn! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Kate, sorry your work is exploding! One good thing is that your ate dark quality chocolate! Hang in there and praying for you that it gets better!:flowerforyou:

I think I may have forgotten a few of you, Nancy, I know I wanted to say something to you, but I cant remember. So you have an awesome day tomorrow and maybe my brain will be thinking better then.
    Good night, sweet dreams. A good Thursday for everyone! Remember- NOW IS NOW! Thank you Barbie:heart:
  • JNHeff
    JNHeff Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Barbie,
    THANK YOU for those two quotes at the end of your post! :smile:

EXACTLY what i needed to hear! :happy:

hoping that i will be able to post a milestone someday, and that by then i will also know how to post a photo to go with it....:tongue:

take good care of you, so you can care for those around you :heart:

janie :flowerforyou:
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies.

I'm below par today. My joints are all full of aches and pains and I also have a really bloated tummy for some reason. Struggling with exercise, but trying to at least keep moving, drinking loads of water and taking extra glucosamine. Fingers crossed that it will all help.

After all the reviews on here about Fitbit, I am going to get myself one - my little treat for over a year at weight maintenance level. I am feeling as if I need a little encouragement right now - mainly because I don't want to give in to the arthritis which always gets worse in the winter months.

Yesterday I took my dad over to DD's to spend the day with the gorgeous grandtwins. We had such fun. Just as we were about to leave, Molly grabbed my hand and started pulling me backwards and forwards and chattering away whilst looking up at me. Eventually I worked out that she wanted to do the hokey kokey! Teddy then ran over to join in. Honestly, it was just about the cutest thing! It was extremely hard to leave and go home after that.

I've just bought them monkey costumes to wear next Friday evening when we are all meeting up to have a meal before Saturday's wedding at Monkey World. We'll take photos and I'll try to post some on here.

Must go - work is manic and I also need to run some stairs.

Love to all.

Amanda x
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Nancy:smile: reading between the lines, it's a good skill to have!

M:smile: yay for seeing your rib cage!!!! Mine is under protective cover at the moment, but I'm working on being able to see it soon!

Lin:smile: you've been so busy taking care of your dad, I hope you find some time to just chill and relax!

Jb:smile: loved the website! My virtual age is 30.5 and I'm going to live to be 99.5. However I think I'll go another 6 months and make it 100!!!!

Laura:smile: congrats for your Sept. goals!!!!! Sorry about your hearing, sometimes things are just unfair!

Meg:smile: skin tight sweats and a hoodie:huh: , and she's faculty:noway: . Do people care nothing about their appearance anymore??? Congrats for getting your walk in! Spicy black bean soup, sounds so wonderful:love: !!!

Beach163:smile: welcome to the group:flowerforyou: , come in often and chat with us!

Anjoneill:smile: happy belated anniversary :flowerforyou: , your holiday sounds great!

Glenda:smile: sounds like you had a busy day! I love afternoon naps too, just don't get them very often!

Tigress:smile: we all throw pity parties at one point or another, as long as they don't last! And you always have us to rant to!

Cathy:smile: good for you deciding to track now!!!!

Janie:smile: great that PT was thrilled with abilities with the cane:flowerforyou: .

Jen:smile: I tried knitting years ago, I made a sweater, however it was so awful I never wore it:noway: . Enjoy this time with your mom!!!

Kathy:smile: one day at work and three weeks off:huh: . At least they want you to come back!!! Congrats on your 10 minute walk, it's certainly better than no walk at all!!!

Barbie:smile: You are so right "now is now"!!! I do my best to enjoy every moment of my day. I can always find something to be grateful for!

Pam:smile: welcome to the group:flowerforyou: . Your weight loss is amazing!!! Congrats!!!

Liz:smile: glad your day wasn't too bad! What a wonderful thing you're doing for your clients!!!

Lila:smile: I need to work on better sleeping habits too:ohwell: . I get around 6 to 6 1/2 hours a night. If I can just make myself go to bed earlier!

Kate:smile: oh I so hope today will be a better day for you:flowerforyou: !!!

Linda:smile: you are a busy lady! Maybe the time in the gym will revive you!!!

I did get some flowers yesterday, 2 purple mums and 2 yellow mums, I think I could use a few more though. I just got overwhelmed in the store and couldn't think! I'm going to pick up my pumpkins on Friday when my granddaughter is with me, she'll have fun helping me arrange the pumpkins and the mums! Noel and I took a long walk yesterday afternoon, I think I wore my sweet little girl out, and by the time we got back, my legs and hips were really feeling it:frown: I'm still feeling it this morning. I had salmon last night and down almost a pound this morning!!! Magic salmon, I love it!!! I'm off today, Noel is getting groomed this morning, gives me time to get the hardwood floors mopped without puppy paws walking across them before they dry. She thinks the mop is a bat for her ball, it's all a game to her:angry: . Well ladies here it is almost 7:00am again. Time for me to start this beautiful day....

Hope everyone has a most fabulous day!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: , and log your food!!!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee
  • carojrrn
    carojrrn Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies,

I am so behind with the posts! As silly as it sounds, this week I am challenged just by the day to day issues of eating healthy, logging the food and exercise. I work from 7 to 3, get my afternoon exercise in, eat dinner and last just a couple of more hours before falling asleep! I am so inspired by those with your VERY busy lifes and how you manage it!! Kudos!! Yesterday was a retirement party for a sweet couple here at work. I did pretty good with the food choices; I did allow myself a slice of chocolate cake. My poor choice was the candy on the table. Three pieces of Hershey's dark chocolate! 44 calories each! Luckily Wednesday is my Jazzercise class and I worked out! LOL!

I think I am a kitty magnet. My husband thinks the crazy cat lady.(I have three inside cats) Last night another kitten made its way to my back door. We left it a little food and did not see it this morning. It looked healthier than the other one last week. He agreed if it comes back we will feed it. I just have such a tender heart for the innocents......

Lin- LOVE the menopause fog vs Life stress quote. I also add the "Half-timer's" syndrome!!!

jb- Glad that scale is continuing to creep in the right direction, albeit slowly. Me too!!

Laura- WTG on the scale victory and September goals!

Meg- What did you end up saying to that coworker inappropriately dressed? How unprofessional!!! She could at least have worn a pair of scrubs!!!! Congrats on winning your challenges!!

Tigress- Loved your term pity party; I can easily go there. Sometimes I think my expectations are unrealistic when I see the scale numbers standing still or going in the wrong direction!

Kathy- Three weeks off! Wow, what a mixed bag for you... Hope time flies and you are back to work soon!

Pam- Welcome to the group. I know you will find the support you need here. This group is FANTABULOUS!!!!!

Kate- Sorry about the work stress. Know how that feels and it is not fun. Hopefully it will get better for you!

Linda- Wow you are running the roads lady! Don't know how you manage it but Kudos to you!

To all other wonderful ladies- Keep it up! This is a lifetime journey for us and we will get through it together!!

Take care!
    Carolyn
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Uggghhhh, I always cave in. Tomorrow is my weigh in and I sneaked a peak this morning!!! I want to quit doing that. So now I have to cross my fingers that I weigh tomorrow exactly what I weighed today - because I liked what I saw!!!!
  • mwheatcraft54
    mwheatcraft54 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Good morning, everyone!

Cathy in NS, that’s exactly how it works! If you blow it on one thing or one meal, just track it and account for it throughout the day. You’ll be fine. Good job!

Janie, if I buy canned products I always go for no-sodium – just the product, no added ingredients. Funny story – my husband was cooking yesterday and had a package of fajita mix out he was going to use. I made him read the ingredients, first of which was corn syrup solids, then told him the ingredients to make a fajita marinade (citrus juice, cumin and garlic). He’s starting to see the light. And good job on the walking, however you’re getting around!

Jen, I’m sure it was lovely getting to spend some time with your mom. I hope the knitting lessons go well. Weights are good – you need muscle to burn fat!

Kathy, ooh, so sorry about the unexpected hiatus! Keep moving . . .

Barbie, how nice to be able to remember the important aspects of that picture lol :laugh: . I wasn’t sure where the whole abstinence/moderation conversation started from, then I went on the Happiness Project website yesterday and learned about it. I’m a moderator, which is good, but I still tend to abstain once I decide to. It’s just my nature. I’m glad your line dance performance went well and brought back good memories for your audience.

Hi, Pam from Pitt – I’m down the road from you a bit. CONGRATULATIONS on that loss! That’s amazing.

Liz, glad the day went well enough for you. My daughter works at a Montessori school with little ones to 8th grade – she has the same experience.

Kate, I’m so sorry to hear about all the troubles. What a shame about the work situation for both you and your son. Odd that there was nothing on the tapes if they show the lockers. I don’t know what to say about your own work – except what I tell my kids, which is to do your very best job and you won’t have anything to regret. Do your best job on your nutrition too – if you need chocolate, you need it. If you want it, you want it. If you’re taking revenge on your stress, remember what is happening there too . . .

Hi, Cheran, and welcome. You’ll find lots of tips, especially if you ask for help. Good luck – it is harder to lose as we get older (we’ve all found that out lol).

Sundance, it’s the one tricky thing about this time of year (or life) – sleep is hard to come by. It sounds like you’re really busy – but I hope the gym gets on the schedule today. You’ll feel better for it :smile: . LOL about the scale too.

Amanda, I hope you feel better soon. The rainy weather may be affecting the joints, but I don’t know what to say about the bloating – just have to wait for it to pass, I guess (ahem). Good for you on the Fitbit. I just ordered a new heart rate monitor yesterday – my old one isn’t functioning correctly. I looked at the Fitbit but decided I wanted something that measures my exercise, cardio included, by heartrate rather than steps. Love the story about the granddaughters – they’re the best! Look forward to seeing the pictures (which reminds me, need to get out my sewing machine for little Arabella).

Dee, lol at the protective covering. It’s good to keep your hands up and guard them ;). I’m glad you got your flowers – they sound lovely (I love purple and yellow or orange together). I need to get out and weed the yard this weekend – you all are inspiring me. Enjoy your time with your sweet puppy.

Carolyn, I know exactly what you mean about logging and keeping up – I’m on two boards (here and Beachbody, which has a Facebook component) and can barely keep up! Don’t stress about treating yourself once in a while so long as you aren’t being overindulgent. I too love kitties – some days I think mine is the only reason I stay here ;).

Well, that’s about all from here. I did an hour and a half of yoga this morning and feel bendier for it :happy: . I spent yesterday afternoon reading on the Happiness Project website after reading everyone’s reviews – ordered the books and Dr. Weil’s too. I’m definitely going to start trying to eat more to keep up with my calorie deficit. That’s going to be odd for me, but we’ll see how it goes. I know it won’t kill me at least :tongue: .

I hope everyone has a wonderful day – almost the weekend!

Cheers,
    M.
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was the first circuit training class of the season - and thank goodness she made it easy for us! I still managed to work up a good sweat. :explode: Today I'll go and see if I can still do the first stage of "The New Rules of Lifting for Women"

A school story - you know that I'm determined to get my students active, and most of them hate the morning run/walk :grumble: that all the intermediate students are expected to do. Yesterday I showed them a video of the national skipping champions (wow) and told them they could choose to skip or run, as long as they raised their heart rates and kept moving for at least 10 minutes. Well, my goodness, they all chose to skip and they all worked really hard. Choice! Give them more choices!

Oh me oh my, the memories your stories about daughters and chores are bringing back to me. I stopped picking up after my DD when she was about 13. She didn’t want me in her room, so I said OK, as long as there are no bugs breeding in there, and I am not tolerating your mess in the shared areas. Her room was knee deep for years, and her university dorm room. Then she got her own apartment and …. Voila – house proud. :ohwell:

I was quite worried when she went away to university. :frown: One morning I sat down with a little black book, a diary. I wrote alternating pages – recipes and cleaning instructions and the words I had nagged and teased her with all through her teenage years converted into poems and funny quotes. Somehow that did the trick and I was OK to let her go – with the book. For Christmas the next year she gave me her own version of the book, with her recipes and quotes of the things she said back to me! We both treasure our little black books.

Thank you for listening to my trip down nostalgia road. When DD was most difficult my wise friends would say, “Don’t worry, she’ll come back to you” and she has.

Mwheatcraft, congratulations on the ribs! :flowerforyou: And I don’t mean the kind you might BBQ.

Lin, don’t forget to take care of yourself in the middle of all that busy-ness.

Anjonell – Are you working on “The New Rules of Lifting for Women”? I am just getting back to it after a 6 month break for foot surgery. Let us know how it goes. I really noticed a difference in my strength and confidence at the end of the first 8 weeks.

Jen, your hat will be a work of art! :happy:

Barbie and I are soul sisters when it comes to bread and abstinence. It’s lucky I’m not living in a place where good bread is easy to find…and I’ve never mastered making my own, not for lack of trying.

Oh, Kate, I am so sorry that work is getting to you. :flowerforyou: Keep your head down, do your part, take your breaks outside the office if you can.

Amanda, I KNEW you would have to wear a monkey costume, I knew it! :laugh:

Nancy

September goals:
    No bedtime snacks, no second helpings!
    Get the routine chores done – no procrastination!
    24 hours of exercise in the month. Total to date: 19.5 I will make it, I will, I will :explode:
    Be a role model of healthy living for my students.
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: What I like about Thursday's is it's the day before Friday,

Meg-hoping that your Thursday isn't as bumpy as your Wednesday:flowerforyou: Good for you getting out and doing your walk even without your buddy:drinker:

beach & Pam & Cheran- Welcome:flowerforyou: Keep coming back and let us get to know you.

Lin-3D mammogram....so how was that? Less painful I hope:huh:

anjonill- Happy Anniversary:flowerforyou: Yes mammograms are usually painful...don't know why that have to smoosh us so much but they do:noway:

glenda-sounds like you had quite a full day, but getting in your exercise early was smart. Yep, Sam's Club does the same thing with samples...I always try to have some extra calories to spare when I go shopping for just in case there is something I just have to sample:wink:

Tirgess- pity parties are allowed here:flowerforyou:

Cathy- good or bad it's always best to log your food if for no other reason than to help you in the future in case you might think you want to do it again...it usually give me a second thought before I head down that road:happy:

janie- it really is baby steps to recovery. When Hubby had his hip replacement I was amazed at how he progressed from walker to cane to occasional cane to having no assistance. I know for him it felt like a long time but as I look back it really wasn't:happy: So you take it slow and easy:flowerforyou:

Jen-I love that your Mom cooked and that you are trying to help her keep her independance. During my parents last few years they hardly did any cooking themselves, had meals on wheels although on occasion Dad would putter around in the kitchen. As a matter of fact the night before Dad passed away he'd been in the kitchen making peanut butter & jelly sandwiches because when Mom and the Home InStead lady arrived in the morning they saw the mess in the kitchen and even today when I think of it it gives me a smile:happy:

Kathy- a three week vacation:noway: but it sounds like you have a plan for this time off...now if I could just get in the groove of wanting to de-clutter like you that would be a good thing:blushing:

Barbie - I love your quotation "The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed.":flowerforyou: That is so true, as I've gotten to where it was only #4 and now #2 to lose, people are noticing and their kind words of " you look fine, you don't need to lose anymore, you're going to blow away" I know are meant to be positive encouragement but I want to meet my goal and feel like I have succeeded at part one of this journey...what most don't realize is that it's not just about losing it's about keeping it off and making it a life long lifestyle change...and for that I thank you for your dedication in showing the rest of us how to do this the rest of our lives:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

liz-glad that your worry was for naught and that the afterschool group went well:flowerforyou:

Lila- your trash to treasure day sounds like a good idea...but what if what you put out doesn't go? Do you have to lug it back in and store it for next time? You are right about not logging in after reaching your goal. In 2010 I did this and lost #38 and after a few months of maintaining I thought I had it all down and stopped logging and #30 crept back on a little at a time and I just kept hearing "Oh you look fine" from friends & family when I had to get into bigger sizes and what I have bought for my new weight stopped fitting you'd have thought I'd take the hint...but no:blushing: ....finally last December I had that "ah Ha moment" and here I am back at it and determined to completed this and keep it off for life:wink:

Kate- so sorry that nothing showed up on the video tape to help the police help your son recover his property, how frustrating:grumble: I'm so glad I only have one boss to contend with and not others because one is plenty and he keep the stress level pretty high here:sad: on a positive note he's out of the office all day and I'm going to enjoy the calm office:drinker:

Sundance- setting a goal of getting to bed earlier and meeting that goal is truly an up and down thing:ohwell: Some nights I'm able to get in the 8 and others only 6.5 which means on the weekends I get the 8 or sometimes 10 as my body plays catch up. I too have read that a good nights sleep helps in weight loss....do you think it's because when we are sleeping we aren't raiding the cupboards and frig:laugh:

Amanda-sorry to hear you are experiencing some joint pain...in the positive column is imagine how awful it would be if you were still 100+ lbs heavier:noway: Hoping that you are able to get the pain under control. You grandtwins sound adorable:flowerforyou:

DeeDee-getting the moping done while your puppy is away is a good thing, when I mopped last Saturday Peanut heard a sound and wouldn't you know he went on the wet floor looking for me:grumble: then hubby tried to come in from outside and I just yelled at him to not come in...but by the feet prints I think I was too late:sad:

Carolyn- I admit it does take time and determination to get all the logging in daily, but I have found when I don't that's when I have the slip ups. Thank goodness we don't have an office that has goodies in it all the time..although come December a lot of our vendors do bring us goodies and that's when the true test begins...or maybe I just up my exercise to allow for a treat now and then:ohwell:

wessecg-keeping my fingers crossed that your scale cooperates tomorrow:flowerforyou: (I know it's sooo hard not to peak)

M-an hour and half of yoga that's awesome:drinker: If I get in 30 min of anything I feel like I've had a good workout:wink:

Nancy-isn't it amazing how when you give kids choices they seem to do what needs to be done with none or less complaining:flowerforyou: I can't wait to hear when those girls tell you thank you for encouraging them to get active and fit.

Last night hubby and I did a nature trail walk at the Resevoir and saw a buck working his antler's over on a small tree. Something we'd never seen before. Next time we do a walk we are taking the camera it would have made some great pictures.

I need to remember that his low carb eating and my calorie counting are not always compatiable. I made crab stuffed mushrooms for dinner last night and they were great, but had way too much sodium for how I like to eat. So tonight will be salmon for me and he can have the rest of the crab.

On this journey this time one part of my body that I have been watching has been the back fat rolls and what I've discovered is that it's taken until these last #4 for them to stop looking like rolls. Now there are small pouches of fat and I'm sure it will take more cardio to get them off, but it was good to know that if I don't want those rolls I MUST keep the weight off and since I really dislike a back with rolls showing through my clothes it's another incentive to keep off the weight:wink:

Must go and file some piles of papers. Everyone have a good day. Let's all do something active today, drink plenty of water and don't forget to log your food:drinker:

Laura80111:smile: