Negative comments

Options

Replies

• mcedes02
    mcedes02 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Some ppl can be so cruel..Just remind yourself WHY you are out there walking!! I don't give a flying flip what anyone says or thinks about me. I'm out there for ME!! not for them. Thankfully though I haven't heard any negative comments. But I sure have gotten some odd looks! Keep up the great work! You r doing just fine!!!
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Don't let some loser in a truck determine your success. He's lucky he didn't say that to me - I would have gone batsh!t crazy on him! LOL
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    The fact that this "person" feels the need to yell abuse at you or anyone else for that matter (because i highly doubt you're the first/only one he's done it to) says more about his personal/social problems than it does about you. At least you are taking control of your life. You won't always be the weight you are, but he will always be a moron. Pity him, put your earphones in, blast some feelgood tunes and pound that pavement!!!!!

You got this!!

Jx
  • bibbj
    bibbj Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't have any helpful hints for you...but I have that same fear all of the time. I usually walk in the cemetery near my house because there isn't a lot of traffic there. I put in my headphones and try to get lost in the music. Keep up the walking and don't let rude people break you.
  • mamapoisonT
    Options
    So sorry. I hate people like that! Just do not give up. Don't let people like that have power over you. Get a friend to walk with you for a little while, or walk early in morning before you have to get ready for work, if you need to build confidence again. Good luck!
  • blueroses_78
    Options
    yes. I have had things like this happen. It's a catch 22 for a fat person to work out - we're told we're "lazy" and "why don't you get out and exercise?" and "put down the fork, fatty, and lift weights instead." As soon as we DO, we're told that we're "too fat" to be working out, or we're "ugly" or we get people making moo noises at us.

Well, society, which do you want: us to get healthy and lose weight or us to sit there and just take your anger?

It's still considered "okay" to ridicule large people these days. Fat people are the last acceptable (seemingly) group to demonize and harass.

But you know what? I said "screw these rude people" and I got an iPod and started working ANYWAY. I went to Zumba, and stayed in the back until I started losing weight, then I moved to the front where I could see better because these people aren't going to stop me from doing what I bloody well want to do.

Don't let these rude, angry, judgmental people win.
  • Rawr1978
    Rawr1978 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I got up to 210lbs, and got no negative comments, until the day the woman my then-fiance was cheating with called our home. She screamed at me "Fatass! You're such a $#$# fatass!" repeatedly for 5 minutes straight. I only stayed on the line out of shock. She stopped when she ran out of breath.
    It was good, though. That next morning, i swore NO ONE would ever call me a name again. I began my diet and exercise regimen with renewed motivation, and i dropped 65lbs.
    This time around (40lbs overweight after a baby), no one calls me names. Let it give you that spite to do it!
  • blueroses_78
    Options
    Here's a link that really explains how I feel much better than my post does:

http://fiercefatties.com/2012/08/28/fat-hate/#more-8606

It's from a fat acceptance page that I used to frequent when I was really heavy. When I started getting healthier, and losing weight, I felt kinda hypocritical going there, but this post is really spot on.
  • kanata
    kanata Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    To be fair, large, small, brunette, blonde, redhead, minority etc we all get crap like that!

I've been told my wrists are too small by many people, but it's just genetics. My wrists have been 13cm whether i'm 12 stone (then) or (now) 9 and a half! No amount of exercising helps my wrists or forearms, yet i get abuse about it a lot.

We're all built different ways and those guys are a waste of space driving around like a bunch of gits!

You are doing something great for yourself and no one can take that away from you! They're possibly even jealous as they're lazy and idiotic! You are smart for making the decision to become healthier and i salute you! Go out there and think about those who are in the car silently giving you a kudos in their head. I know i do!

If i see someone jogging, or running at any size, i feel proud almost. Just feel so happy that others are exercising too and i feel like there's a silent connection as we all struggle to make that last mile, that last pedal so, i hope you know i'm probably not the only person that feels that way.

From me to you, RIGHT ON! Keep it up :D
  • jodi41086
    Options
    My boyfriend thinks im crazy whenever we drive somewhere and i see a runner or walker or someone bicycling. I say out loud "you can do it running guy" or "Yeah keep going Bicycle lady" They can't hear me lol but my boyfriends thinks im crazy. so maybe there are people like me out there who are cheering you on, maybe you just cant hear them
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Never, ever let the @ssholes of the world decide who you will be or what you will do.
  • jodi41086
    Options
    Never, ever let the @ssholes of the world decide who you will be or what you will do.

agree!!!
  • SydneyBristowe
    Options
    Gotta admit that I don;t understadn why people feel a need to knock others so much. It's happened to me a few times and I'm always too shocked to come back with anything witty

The worst one for me was after I'd dropped 17lbs and went out in a bright purple dress wih sky high heels. I looked great. Then I walked into a bar on my own (I was meeting friends who hadn't arrived yet) and a group of middle aged people who were no oilpaintings shouted "What the f***'s that? It's a f***ing man in drag" and stupidly I let it affect my whole night. After it happened I did take a photo (posing in the rest rooms *classy*) and put it on my FB for comment. The lovely comments I got from my friends made me realise that I was silly for letting someone so small minded ruin my evening.

Edited to add: The photo in question is now on my profile for those who have to know ;)
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Gotta admit that I don;t understadn why people feel a need to knock others so much. It's happened to me a few times and I'm always too shocked to come back with anything witty

The worst one for me was after I'd dropped 17lbs and went out in a bright purple dress wih sky high heels. I looked great. Then I walked into a bar on my own (I was meeting friends who hadn't arrived yet) and a group of middle aged people who were no oilpaintings shouted "What the f***'s that? It's a f***ing man in drag" and stupidly I let it affect my whole night. After it happened I did take a photo (posing in the rest rooms *classy*) and put it on my FB for comment. The lovely comments I got from my friends made me realise that I was silly for letting someone so small minded ruin my evening.

I have always striven to be a non-violent person and I've wrestled with a bad temper my entire life...in some cases though, there is no substitute for a little well applied violence.
    IOW, someone needed a serious thumping.
  • jennie_mummy
    jennie_mummy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I hope that you read all of these fantastic replies and see that you are surrounded by positive people who are here to build you up during this journey of yours. I ran by a group of people who were sitting in their yard on a beautiful day smoking and drinking away and they were chirping at me as I went by. Really?!? The truth is the guy who yelled at you probably lives his life sitting down with a remote in his hands. Get back out there! You are changing your life with every step!
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Let your haters be your motivators... I don't understand why people have to do things like that, makes me think maybe they want to do it but don't wanna work for it.
  • MFPBONNIE
    MFPBONNIE Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    So what has that jerk done for you lately?....nothing? I thought so. Now next question, why does that jerk matter in your life? there are plenty more out there that you will encounter, so tough up and keep walking. I started my walk in a new neighborhood in 1989 and I got doused by a cooler full of ice and water. Kept walking, and Was out there the next day.
  • shazangell
    Options
    Sweetie, anyone who is ignorant to disparage ANY person, especially those they don't even know, is really worth nothing more from you than a smirk of pity in their direction that they have to go through life being so unevolved as a person. Ignore....what YOU think of you is ALL that matters.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Headphones. I haven't heard a catcall in two years.
  • tequilasunris3
    Options
    Sod 'em!! You can change your appearance, Mr truck driver man wont ever stop being an a-hole :)
    You win.

xx