Negative comments

Options

Replies

• BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    This was obviously someone with no class. Someone whose opinion really shouldn't matter to you, although it's hard not to let it. I honestly don't know where people get off, judging other people's appearance. I was blown away when people were criticizing the way some of the Olympic swimmers looked in their suits. World class athletes and people had the balls to criticize their bodies! You never know what kind of medical problem people may be dealing with that makes their bodies less than "barbiesque". I am a personal trainer and fight my weight due to Hashimoto's Thyroidits. Makes it practically impossible to lose and very easy to gain. I had another trainer make some rude comments about my body, loudly, in front of my client and several other people in the gym. He has no idea that I've lost over 100 pounds, how often and how hard I work out, and how much muscle is under the excess weight I carry. It left me embarrassed to work with my clients in the gym for about 3 months. Then I realized I had to get over it because there are women who need me. Women who would never consider working with a guy like that because they don't want him judging them and they know I can understand where they are coming from. I guess my point is, people who judge others based on their own standard of what's attractive and acceptable, and treat you like you are less than human or don't deserve common courtesy or respect if you don't meet their standard, are ignorant and not worth worrying about.
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    he was driving in a truck yelling comments

1) he was so scared of you he could only shout stuff while protected and moving off - so clearly you look like an *kitten* kicker, well done

2) his behaviour says more about him than you, anyone listening isn't going to think 'yeah look at the fat woman', they are too busy thinking 'what a cowardly *kitten*'

3) he knows you're better than him, so he's trying to make you feel as ****ty as he does.

Essentially, think of it this way: that guy's just proved you are clearly awesome, so awesome in fact he feels threatened by it. WTG!

I love this! It's not at all what it feels like at the time, but I like how you turned it on it's head. :D

I've had this happen. In my area it was always *kitten* teenaged boys, but I remember one time many years ago my friend and I were out walking and some idiots we'd never seen before drove by and sprayed us with squirt guns--my friend pulled off her shoes and dropped her stuff and started RUNNING after the car (there wasn't anyone else on the road at the time) yelling after them obscenities and what punks they were. I loved that. It didn't occur to me that that was a possible outcome. The kids sped away pretty quick and looked a little scared. LOL. She made that memory of random @holes into something that makes me chuckle to this day. Be a "Terrier" and a "Bulldog" when you go out--have tenacity and strut whatever stuff you got. ;)
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Don't let it bother you. Chances are those people are just jealous of what you're out doing! I run in shorts and a sports bras on the warm mornings and I've been called some pretty negative things but you know what, I could care less. I just think that's right, I look good and you are obviously green with envy :smile: You get out there and don't let a bunch of *kitten* stop you from hitting your goals!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    hahaha you people are nice...me I'd flip them off and pray like hell that I'll see them again one day so I can confront them on their lippy self and hopefully be able to knock them on their butts...creeps and jerks that's all they are.

With that being said...don't let them discourage you. Buy yourself an mp 3 player, put your headset on and don't look back. They don't care about your struggle but we do.
  • kimboj41
    kimboj41 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If you stop achieving your goal because of what this jerk said.....he will be winning and you will be in the house depressed. Anyone that is negative is not happy with themselves and need the attention from their counterparts to feel good.

We are here to keep you pushing towards your goal.....when you go walking again take all of these comments with you and burn those calories baby.
  • fatima147
    Options
    cant believe how awful people can get. :noway:

u just b thankful that u r not as dumb and supid as them. headphones, a water bottle and motivation is the way to go sis!!

GOOD LUCK :flowerforyou:
  • selig0730
    selig0730 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    at the gym i always forget my headphones, but if i go for a run outside i always get my ipod, keep myself in my own little world plus then i wont have to hear any neg comments (but havent heard any yet)
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    You can't fix stupid and Haterville will always have residents. Ignore.
  • Amberjack6
    Amberjack6 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You are doing something about it. The reason this a-hole got into your head is because you think he/she may be right. WRONG. Doesn't matter! You are on the path to change things for the positive. You will not let some dope who you will never see again discourage you.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Next time someone in a truck or something shouts a rude comment at you, yell 'THANK YOU FOR TELLING ME ABOUT YOUR TINY PENIS!!!!'

I yell this all the time because 90% of people who drive trucks drive like morons and seem to be compensating for something.

lmao I've done this!
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've had it "are you walking or jogging", but on the flip side I've had "you go sista". Most of the time I tend to stick my earphones in and either listen to London's Biggest Conversation (LBC) or some pumping tunes, which have noise reduction. If people wave at me I wave at them back. If they give me the middle finger I wave at them back. I am in my world and have an inner goal to reach and tend not to care about people when I am in my zone. Know what I mean?
  • JoyJoy27
    JoyJoy27 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When I was single and heavier guys didn't even look at me. My weight has gone up and down now that I'm married. I'm slowly gaining control of my weight and now guys are starting to look at me again. Now I don't even give them the time of day. I completely ignore them because for one I'm married and second I want people to love what I have to offer in the inside not the outside. Once you loose the weight they'll be looking at you. Don't even give them the time of day. From now on ignore them like you've already lost the weight. Remember you are better than them. You don't have to put others down to feel better about yourself. You're taking care of yourself.
  • Jkelly1221
    Jkelly1221 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    "I won't always be fat, but you'll always be a *kitten*." That was my favorite retort. :-)
  • ullgetthere
    Options
    That is absolutely horrible! I remember that had happened to my dad when I was kid and he is the strongest man I know. He was actually hurt about the the comment and I never forgot the the look on his face. So I understand how much it can hurt. However, forget that jerk! People do that because they themselves are cowards in life and he could never do what you're doing!! Keep up the good work and forget about those morons!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm hearing impaired so even if someone was yelling at me I wouldn't notice. However I smile and wave at people that pass me just to make myself feel better.
  • Paw4awhile
    Options
    It is not just the guys in the white vans that do it. I had a Doctor that was heavier that I was, tell me I needed to lose weight & I was putting my health at risk. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black & even when I said I was trying to, he told me that if it wasn't working to half my food intake. At that time my meal plate was a side plate & that looked empty, he knew what I was eating & still told me to half it. It turned out that I wasn't eating enough & my body had gone in to starvation mode & was storing all I was eating. Once I was pointed in the right direction & started eating a lot more of the right things I start to lose weight, when I had been putting on weight eating very small amounts. So as you can see Doctors can be jerks to & make you feel bad.

Anne
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    What a jerk! Honestly though, doing that is only a refection of what kind of person he is and has nothing to do with the kind of person you are at all. I know you know that, but just wanted to put it out there. Get some headphones and keep doing what you're doing!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Put in your earphones and turn your music up!

This.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Ugghh, had some negative comments yelled at me by a passerby in a truck while returning from a walk the other day. I was just getting on a roll of getting motivated to do more walking. Now I feel like I don't want to go out there because of fear of hearing more negative things.

has anyone else experienced this before...how do you handle it.

So, tell me, exactly how much control of your life do you want to hand over to asshat strangers?

Life's full of jerks. Ignore them now, and ignore them when you've reached your goal and the insults turn to wolf whistles.

Look around for the nice people who smile and wave in admiration of how hard you are working. Many of us have been there, and understand just how dedicated and strong a person you really are for getting out and doing.
  • Moofey2
    Moofey2 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I honk at people (especially girls) when I see them working hard jogging/walking on the side of the road just to give them a confidence boost! No matter the size!