...grab a box

Cut a hole in the box....

Put your junk in that box ;)
    SNL skit?

Of course ;)
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    A great gift especially if its last second is a spa treatment. You can buy them online, print out the gift certificate for it and put it in with her card. They have day spas, massages, and everything you can think of. You pick the package you can afford and its a win

If you go this route, maybe schedule the day and time for her. If she's anything like my wife, she'll find errands and reasons not to go unless it's set for her.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    Well, since my birthday is right around the corner, I'll tell you what I want.

I want my husband to take me out on a date. A REAL date. As in, tell me what time to be ready and that's all I have to do.

I want him to plan every last little detail, like making plans for the kids to spend the night somewhere, making dinner reservations, taking me to see a show at the Performing Arts Center, and renting a hotel room. I want him to think of things that he normally wouldn't do.

Do I think it will happen? Nope.

I wish he could understand how something like this would mean so much to me. I am so tired of taking care of everyone and everything that I could freakin' scream. I want one night where I don't have to think about a damn thing besides enjoying myself and feeling like I'm actually worth someone's attention.

Did you tell him this?

My guess is no.

Let's see if I'm right....
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    All she really really really wants is a zigazig ahhhh
  • allisonrozsa
    allisonrozsa Posts: 178 Member
    Options

I want my husband to take me out on a date. A REAL date. As in, tell me what time to be ready and that's all I have to do.

I want him to plan every last little detail, like making plans for the kids to spend the night somewhere, making dinner reservations, taking me to see a show at the Performing Arts Center, and renting a hotel room. I want him to think of things that he normally wouldn't do.

I wish he could understand how something like this would mean so much to me. I am so tired of taking care of everyone and everything that I could freakin' scream. I want one night where I don't have to think about a damn thing besides enjoying myself and feeling like I'm actually worth someone's attention.

I may be just repeating what someone else has said, but if you don't tell the man, he won't have a clue. Sadly, they can't read our minds (as much as we want them to) so just tell him long in advance that this is what would make you feel special & what you want for your birthday/anniversary.
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    The first thing that comes to mind is why don't you ask her and give her time to think about it? Then, you plan it all and make it happen!

Not knowing your wife, the next thing I thought of is to make it a 2-part gift, particularly if you have kids. If you do, then maybe the day before her birthday, you and the kids plan a little date together and give her some cash and the evening off to do whatever she wants to do. She could call up a girlfriend to go shopping or she might surprise you by not doing anything at all... lol... you might even come home to a reorganized home and a happier wife because she did what she's been really wanting to do!

Then, on her actual birthday, find a sitter for the kids (or if they're old enough not to detract from her enjoyment, you could even take them with you) and then go out to eat and plan something fun and relaxing that she would enjoy based on her hobbies. It doesn't have to be an expensive evening, but you have to choose what you think she'd like. I personally hate choosing the restaurant, but I love spending time with my husband!

Like others have said, the important this is that whatever you do shows thoughtfulness for HER, without obligating her to do anything but enjoy the moment.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    All she really really really wants is a zigazig ahhhh

Yep. Girls just wanna have fun. And a maid. A maid never hurts.
  • rachelfaith92
    rachelfaith92 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    A new suspension for my e30, a new set of 17's wheels with tires. S'more poptarts

A coach purse, a spa treatment.

Maybe a little "down time" .... :D
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It was my 50th last year.

I'd dropped heavy hints that I would really like a party with friends and family, but since we were getting married the following month I knew this wasn't going to happen, because there'd be an after wedding party.

Except then my now-husband was diagnosed with a heart condition. So everything went low-key (totally understandable). He took me to our favourite restaurant for my birthday - which was lovely, but to be churlish not really special enough for my 50th (I took him to Venice for his 50th, for comparison)

And we decided to go ahead with the wedding ( a quiet do, just us and 2 witnesses), but put any other party celebrations on hold until after his operation.

So what I'd really like for my birthday this year is a re-scheduled wedding reception slash birthday party type thing.

He sometimes buys me unusual jewellry - and last Valentines Day gave me a Pandora type charm bracelet, which means he can always buy me a new charm if he's short on ideas. That's quite nice because there's usually some significance to the different charms.

But he's a gadget freak, and says I love you through the medium of expensive toys (iPad, Digital photoframe etc). I could do with a new watch!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    To feel like she is the most special person in your life. Usually requires a little more effort than a store bought gift. And store bought gifts should be personalized to the woman you are buying for. Without KNOWING your wife, it would be hard to suggest.
  • Allison22451
    Allison22451 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    i'd like a man to know me well enough to know what i would want for my birthday. =)
  • mamakira
    Options
    I am boring, I barely have jewelery on me and 2 bottles of cologne last for a lifetime.

I wish for trips without my family. We ahve 4 kids and I work parttime in my own company, I have barely time for myself.
    2 times my husband bought me a trip alone for a week and took off from work to care for the kids. It was fantastic, I love traveling alone.

Other than that everything adventurous would be my thing, a tandemjump, a dogsledge ride, going on a snowscooter tour...followed by a romantic dinner in a cabin with a fireplace...:smile:
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I don't like material gifts for birthdays. I'm trying to think back on past birthday gifts but my mind is coming up blank. I think a concert ticket to go see one of my favorite bands would be one awesome birthday gift but I'm not your average girl in that aspect.
  • anrev42
    anrev42 Posts: 331
    Options
    I love surprises!

a romantic getaway *

a spa *

cook me dinner * (I find it sexy if a man cooks me dinner than take me out in a restaurant)

piece of jewelry*

handwritten love note :D
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    An entire day where I don't have to make meals, clean anything, deal with diapers or any other chore, where I getting spa treatments, instead. Then dinner and seeing a play, and a night away in a hotel, with a jacuzzi wide enough for 2, then being woken up with breakfast in bed with a love note or card. And all of this not planned by me or laid out with step by step instructions.

Perfect!

Not quite perfect, actually. Forgot to add: get someone to come in and clean the entire house while we are out.
    Thats the 1st thing that popped into my head when i read the question.
  • ashley2586
    ashley2586 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    dinner at a nice restaurant and then hitting the back country roads with a truck bed full of blankets and pillows, a bottle of wine and some stargazing.
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Im not your typical girl

Champagne and raw oysters would go down very well as would venison steak
    A handforged damascus hunting knife and a bottle of quality malt scotch whiskey would be a real treat
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    The best BDAY gift I ever got was when my EX took me to this wicked nice restaurant that is at the top of the 2nd tallest building in my city and overlooks the city. We shared dinner and drinks then he took me on a romantic walk through the city the ended with us going to the beach where we had our first kiss and he gave me a hand written letter about what i meant to him/birthday card. I should also mentioned he bought me this dress I'd been really wanting and it was all a surprise. He told me to put it on because he was taking me somewhere special. Then we went to a local hotel instead of back to our crappy apartment that had these wicked huge Jacuzzis in the room and the rest isn't suitable for these forums lol. It was really romantic and with our crazy schedules we didn't get to spend much time together so that was the best part.

You must be from New England!! It's WICKED UP HERE!
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options

Did you tell him this?

My guess is no.

Let's see if I'm right....

Women do tell men. And then it doesn't happen, so we say it again... still nothing. Then we say it again... then we get angry and suddenly we're a nag. I think I'll plan my own weekend away this year.