Calling all runners!

Options
12345679»

Replies

• janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Not that it matters but I used to run in Crocs due to my feet. There's a guy who ran in them on youtube and definitely finished, so if all of the regular shoes hurt your feet try them.

PLEASE do not take this advice. Crocs aren't good to walk in let alone run in.

Not true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v3kql8aSNI

Runner's World also did a segment on someone who is running in Crocs, not the same person as in the youtube video

http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/runner-communities/barefoot-running/lorraine-gersitz-running-crocs

More from Runner's World here
    http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/shoes-stuff/shoes/run-crocs

RW had another article from Trail Runner from someone running trails in Crocs
    http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/runner-communities/trail-running/running-trails-crocs

And frankly, maybe Crocs aren't good for *you* as a person, but for me they are fantastic and the only shoes I can walk in & run in.
  • chris1529
    chris1529 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I think I know what may be wrong! My knees! I know I have shin splints but I think that this running is badly affecting my knees. What can I do to protect my knees? Tonight was my 2nd night off. With my knees like this, I don't plan on running again until it stops hurting BUT I do want to get into shape and build up to running regularly. I kinda feel discouraged now cause I was really wanting to be a runner. It's one thing to be out of breath when your running and have to rest but it's another when you have pain even days after the last run! AND the funny thing is I only run for a total of 3 mins ( 6 - 30 second intervals) and walk the other 27 mins! I don't want to hurt my knees anymore so if you have any suggestions or if this has happened to you, let me know!
  • chris1529
    Options
    Not that it matters but I used to run in Crocs due to my feet. There's a guy who ran in them on youtube and definitely finished, so if all of the regular shoes hurt your feet try them.

PLEASE do not take this advice. Crocs aren't good to walk in let alone run in.

Not sure if I could even run in crocs lol. I've always heard that you should have a good pair of running shoes with good support. Crocs may work for some though.... idk.
  • chris1529
    Options
    Should I also mention that I run on hard pavement. Maybe that makes a difference... idk.
  • lgrix
    lgrix Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    If there is a track near you, run on that rather than on pavement. It is much easier on your legs. If no track, try a dirt road or grass.
    I started out on a track and it was much easier. After you build up you can switch to pavement.
    Compression socks after you run can help with the pain, so does ibuprofen or aspirin. Swimming is very good as well.
    When going for a run, do a short warm up 5 minutes and then stop and do some light stretching. After your run, do a longer stretch session while your muscles are still warm.
    Biking on an exercise bike is a good way to build up your leg muscles and great cross training for running. They complement each other very well.
    If you are in pain, walk, don't run. If you can't walk the distance you want to go, you shouldn't try running. If walking is too easy, walk faster, you can get a great workout in walking fast.
    You will not lose any weight running if you eat more calories than you burn.
    Good luck!
  • amybluefish
    amybluefish Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I started running a year ago June and completed my first half marathon in April. I just read about couch to 5K but I did it my way. Basically in the beginning I would run to a light pole then walked to the next. Then I would just try to increase my running as time went on. Now I can run for a long time. I still have a lot of weight to lose but I am a runner :)
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    I think I know what may be wrong! My knees! I know I have shin splints but I think that this running is badly affecting my knees. What can I do to protect my knees? Tonight was my 2nd night off. With my knees like this, I don't plan on running again until it stops hurting BUT I do want to get into shape and build up to running regularly. I kinda feel discouraged now cause I was really wanting to be a runner. It's one thing to be out of breath when your running and have to rest but it's another when you have pain even days after the last run! AND the funny thing is I only run for a total of 3 mins ( 6 - 30 second intervals) and walk the other 27 mins! I don't want to hurt my knees anymore so if you have any suggestions or if this has happened to you, let me know!

Yes, it's happened to me for sure. I have shin splints, they're painful.

I also have some bad knee issues a lot. I went to a medical supply place for a couple of very expensive knee things, they let me try them on. I love it. I bought 2 but really, just one is my favorite. I would suggest going to a medical supply place and getting a knee brace that you like, one that makes you feel supported.

Running on pavement is really hard on your knees and feet.

It's another reason I run at home on my thick mats to videos. It really helps.

I use these:

http://www.nefitco.com/interlocking-mats.html

that and a HRM.

You may also want to walk with a HRM on you instead of running for a while, to help lose weight if you insist on doing your exer. outside.

Today I was strong enough to walk to the grocery store with a cart and fill up on groceries. Have you thought about walking to the grocery store daily for food?
  • chris1529
    Options
    I think I may start walking more and riding my bike for awhile. BUT I still want to run atleast 1-2 days out of the week. My knees are still hurting and I haven't ran since Saturday! One person on here said that biking and running can go hand and hand so I think I may supplement that for awhile. Or atleast until my knees heal.