Concealing & carrying pistols while running/working out

Options

Replies

• KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Dear God, running with knives and guns?!?!? What?!?

I am very glad I live in Europe!

Have you never seen TAKEN?? haha.

PAHAHA.

Self-righteous something-or-others....

I feel like they have this image of concealed carry holders having a shoot-out OK-Corral style over parking spaces and the last box of nutella at the grocery store...

Actually, Europe probably is a lot safer now that Liam Neeson killed half the continent's criminals.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I feel like they have this image of concealed carry holders having a shoot-out OK-Corral style over parking spaces and the last box of nutella at the grocery store...
    Never a parking space but the last box of nutella........ that might be justifiable.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Gotta tell ya... I am glad I live in Canada.......no guns ....phew!!!!!

No guns in Canada????? Where in the country do you live?

Not sure if you are serious or it's sarcasim.

I live in a small town and there have been multiple gun related incidents here lately. You'd be surprised at how many people here in Canada have guns and how often they are used.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I understand the OP has most likely tuned out by now but I would suggest he set up a little test for himself before he invests in a carry weapon for running. I think it might help to get a feeling of your competence with the hand gun at the end of the run.t would Be a shame to go for a run and end up being robed after you shot yourself in the foot. I know I can't work a TV remote right after a hard run I cant imagine try to use a hand gun.

I often do drills where I get my heart rate up and get sweaty before I draw and shoot at targets while moving to cover. Standing on a square range in one spot and shooting slowly at stationary targets does very little to prepare one for a violent encounter.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    My mother, just got her conceal/carry and purchased her first gun. (Along with her crank radio....but thats another topic lol)

She is also an experienced runner - still running marathons, 10ks, etc. I plan to get here these for Christmas...as well as a pair for myself. I live in a downtown area, right next to the Dorathy Day center, which is a food shelter/homeless shelter. Id rather be safe, than sorry. (Not saying all homeless people are attackers, rapist, etc) I also love to run down by the river, which the paths twist and turn away from the city a bit and are secluded.

VR5K8695.jpg

http://www.undertechundercover.com/

<3 this!!
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    I run with a portal gun.

Portal.png

I want a real portal gun.

infinite energy.. just drop a magnet between two vertical portals and wrap a coil around where it falls.

then put a portal in a electric car, and the other portal at home next to the 220v wall outlet.... long range electric car.

dont like the magnetic-gravity generator? launch portal into space.. push solar array through it.

etc..
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    This is why you carry a gun. For all of those who say I live in a quiet, safe area you probably due. And your chance of being a crime victim is extremely low (just as it is for most people). I personally have been mugged twice in 49 years and both times simply drawing my weapon caused the assailant to decide it would be better to be somewhere else.

Just found out my baby sister was mugged yesterday while out jogging in St Augustine, FL. ****ers took her cell phone and wedding/engagement rings but thankfully didnt touch her - it was broad daylight in a nice neighborhood. She said it happened very fast- car pulled up in front of her, the two urban yutes got out the passenger doors, displayed a knife, said "give me the phone and rings *****", back in car and gone. She realizes that she is uber lucky not to have been snatched.

The only happy ending was they did catch the *kitten* fairly quickly- someone saw it go down from their house, called the cops and a patrol car was nearby. The neighbors that saw it go down came out and took my sister into their home as she went hysterical. There were three gang members between the ages of 15 and 17 - she IDed the two, recovered her rings and cell phone and the entire time she was being cursed out by these yutes who claimed alternately that they found everything on a bench or that they bought the items from her. In the car she said the cops pulled out some other loot from others they had mugged in the general area over the previous hour (which is why a patrol car was nearby apparently- they were trying to find them)

She normally carries but decided "she didnt need a pistol" on her while simply running around her white picket fence neighborhood at 9 AM. That attitude has now changed and she is going to run with a fanny pack or belly band that has quick access to the gun. Being Florida she runs typically in underamor compression gear (shorts and tank top). Her normal carry piece is a Combat Commander but she is going out shopping for a smaller, lighter piece tonight.

For running I told her to look at something in stainless and/or polymer with a stainless slide due to sweat.
  • laprovocateur
    laprovocateur Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    baby beretta .25 jetfire. fits nicely just about anywhere i want to carry it.

it's a close range weapon, but i could just about hide it in my hands because it's so small, and trust me... it's lethal.
  • Brunner26_2
    Options
    I'm not anti-gun, but I think the stats speak for themselves. You're more likely to be injured in a gun accident than you are to successfully defend yourself with a gun.

The injury rate approaches 0 if one is not an idiot and obeys a few very simple rules.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of idiots out there. It's unsettling to think that anyone around me could be carrying.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    The NRA (National Rifle Association) is far and away THE most powerful political lobby in the US, and work very hard to convince otherwise rational Americans that their right to own firearms is under constant threat. It isn't.

No. AIPAC, the Israeli lobby. But the NRA is a close second.

--P
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

<3 this!!
    [/quote]

OO, I like these! But man, pricey!
  • Prahasaurus
    Options
    This is why you carry a gun. For all of those who say I live in a quiet, safe area you probably due. And your chance of being a crime victim is extremely low (just as it is for most people). I personally have been mugged twice in 49 years and both times simply drawing my weapon caused the assailant to decide it would be better to be somewhere else.

Just found out my baby sister was mugged yesterday while out jogging in St Augustine, FL. ****ers took her cell phone and wedding/engagement rings but thankfully didnt touch her - it was broad daylight in a nice neighborhood. She said it happened very fast- car pulled up in front of her, the two urban yutes got out the passenger doors, displayed a knife, said "give me the phone and rings *****", back in car and gone. She realizes that she is uber lucky not to have been snatched.

The only happy ending was they did catch the *kitten* fairly quickly- someone saw it go down from their house, called the cops and a patrol car was nearby. The neighbors that saw it go down came out and took my sister into their home as she went hysterical. There were three gang members between the ages of 15 and 17 - she IDed the two, recovered her rings and cell phone and the entire time she was being cursed out by these yutes who claimed alternately that they found everything on a bench or that they bought the items from her. In the car she said the cops pulled out some other loot from others they had mugged in the general area over the previous hour (which is why a patrol car was nearby apparently- they were trying to find them)

She normally carries but decided "she didnt need a pistol" on her while simply running around her white picket fence neighborhood at 9 AM. That attitude has now changed and she is going to run with a fanny pack or belly band that has quick access to the gun. Being Florida she runs typically in underamor compression gear (shorts and tank top). Her normal carry piece is a Combat Commander but she is going out shopping for a smaller, lighter piece tonight.

For running I told her to look at something in stainless and/or polymer with a stainless slide due to sweat.

So she was unharmed, and they caught the perpetuators. OK.

And better would have been for her to pull out a weapon and start firing at 3 gang members?? Probably ending up in the hospital, possibly dead, with massive hospital/legal bills, and that's all assuming she didn't accidentally kill any innocent bystanders.

For every one attack that is prevented thanks to the jogger carrying a weapon, there are probably two or three more accidental deaths or serious injuries from the same people leaving the gun around unattended, or shooting themselves in the foot, or whatever. Not to mention more people jogging in dangerous areas thinking a gun will help them, when in reality they are attacked before they even have a chance to pull out their gun.

It's mainly posturing. People are watching too many Clint Eastwood movies, with a secret fantasy to make someone's day.

--P
  • danewortley
    danewortley Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    What weapon are you hoping to carry? My wife has a Ruger LC9 and it just a tad bigger than the .380 version and will conceal well in a fanny pack. We got this gun for the fact that it is light, portable, concealable and a 9mm packs more stopping power than the .380 with the right ammo load-out. If you are going to get a fanny pack be sure that it is a good fit for your particular firearm, if you cant get the weapon in or out QUICKLY every time its not the right pack for you. Your safety depends on this so never compromise!

If you got any questions about that particular firearm PM me and ill be happy to share any honest info about it. I have some range time with it and its surprisingly nice for its compact size. Also look at the Smith and Wesson M&P series, I own the M&P 9c and it carry it daily...might be a bit big for running but they just released the M&P shield which is getting great reviews. If fanny packs are not your thing take a look at belly bands.

Constant Vigilance!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

And better would have been for her to pull out a weapon and start firing at 3 gang members?? Probably ending up in the hospital, possibly dead, with massive hospital/legal bills, and that's all assuming she didn't accidentally kill any innocent bystanders.

For every one attack that is prevented thanks to the jogger carrying a weapon, there are probably two or three more accidental deaths or serious injuries from the same people leaving the gun around unattended, or shooting themselves in the foot, or whatever. Not to mention more people jogging in dangerous areas thinking a gun will help them, when in reality they are attacked before they even have a chance to pull out their gun.

It's mainly posturing. People are watching too many Clint Eastwood movies, with a secret fantasy to make someone's day.

--P

Millions of gun owners manage to own guns their entire lives without killing anyone accidentally or shooting themselves in the feet. You're listening to too much liberal media hype.
    Thousands of people defend themselves successfully with firearms every day.. even without killing their attackers. The biased media don't want you knowing that part however.
  • danewortley
    danewortley Posts: 25 Member
    Options

--P

Last i checked there was a person asking for help on a fitness related issue. Why dont you stop judging people on their beliefs and go troll elsewhere
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    This is one of the funniest threads I have ever read in my life.

The ignorance of people that think that everyone in America has a gun, we all run around waving them everywhere, and that people basically think that we can go to Target and buy one off the shelf.

Hilarious.

Are we so very wrong? Here's a satellite TV company offering a free gun (or pizza!) with every purchase: http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/28/montana-radio-shack-offers-free-gun-or-pizza-with-satellite-tv-purchase/

And here's a car dealership doing the same: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7416120.stm

(WHY aren't links live on MFP?)

Yes I'm afraid that is wrong. Most of them will knock that amount of money off of the price of the vehicle, you still have to go to a gun store and get that gun yourself so the backround check and any state laws can be followed. As an incorporated company they can not deal in or transfer a firearm without a FFL (Federal Firearm License). Anyone with an FFL that sells a firearm without a backround check has violated federal law.

It is a game to draw attention to their sale. I don't even think they can even pay for it, which is why they will knock that amount of money off of the price of the vehicle (which they make up for in other ways). One of the questions on the backround check asks if you are purchasing the weapon for someone else. If you say yes the sale is denied because the future owner must also be the person paying.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I'm not anti-gun, but I think the stats speak for themselves. You're more likely to be injured in a gun accident than you are to successfully defend yourself with a gun.

The injury rate approaches 0 if one is not an idiot and obeys a few very simple rules.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of idiots out there. It's unsettling to think that anyone around me could be carrying.

On the bright side, at least most of them only hurt themselves.

Ever seen that video of the guy shooting himself while teaching gun safety?
  • muzmacol
    muzmacol Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    i'm just thankfull its not even remotely required, considered or needed. North west England.
  • Prahasaurus
    Options
    Last i checked there was a person asking for help on a fitness related issue. Why dont you stop judging people on their beliefs and go troll elsewhere

Carrying a weapon is a fitness related question? LOL.

And this thread left the rails about 13 pages back.

--P