Concealing & carrying pistols while running/working out

Options

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Nobody has ever gone stir-*kitten* crazy with a gun in a busy shopping mall... Do you think that's just a coincidence?

Not even a taxi driver or unemployed antiques dealer?
  • LupaNera
    Options

A knee to the balls because it's not legal for me to carry any of that stuff

* don't crucify my if I'm wrong thats just what i think is the case here

Even a kick will do :D It has more range!
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Dear God, running with knives and guns?!?!? What?!?

I am very glad I live in Europe!

This.
  • _LilPowerHouse
    _LilPowerHouse Posts: 365 Member
    Options

^that^
    What a thing to have to thnk about!

That's it, i'm moving to europe. Can't wait to live in a place without crime.

Do I detect a note of sarcasm? Obviously we have crime. We just don't go round pointing guns at each other. Or mace, or tasers. All illegal... We're not even allowed to walk around with a knife unless there's a good reason.

It's just a totally different culture.

We are, however, allowed to drink in public places and sunbathe topless on the beach :)

That's true, we do go waving that stuff around in public here in the colonies. Just the other day, I shocked the lady at the counter at McDonalds with my taser for trying to upsell me french fries. I'm trying to lose weight, damnit.

No, but seriously. Bad guy with a gleam in his eye has you backed into a corner.
    You have in your hand a choice of one of four items:

A. Mace
    B. Tazer (The neat kind that shoots prongs out)
    C. Firearm
    D. Nothing

Which do you pick?

Neither would work if he sneaks up behind you, smacks you upside your head with a log he found in the woods and while you're on the floor wondering "WTF?" he duck tapes your mouth and hog ties your arms and legs and drags you into the woods then..... OOOOppps im giving away too much.. never mind.. carry on, carry on.. as you were.... where do you go jogging again?.. LOL :laugh:
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options

^that^

Do I detect a note of sarcasm? Obviously we have crime. We just don't go round pointing guns at each other. Or mace, or tasers. All illegal... We're not even allowed to walk around with a knife unless there's a good reason.

We are, however, allowed to drink in public places and sunbathe topless on the beach :)

That's true, we do go waving that stuff around in public here in the colonies. Just the other day, I shocked the lady at the counter at McDonalds with my taser for trying to upsell me french fries. I'm trying to lose weight, damnit.

No, but seriously. Bad guy with a gleam in his eye has you backed into a corner.

A. Mace
    C. Firearm
    D. Nothing

Which do you pick?

Neither would work if he sneaks up behind you, smacks you upside your head with a log he found in the woods and while you're on the floor wondering "WTF?" he duck tapes your mouth and hog ties your arms and legs and drags you into the woods then..... OOOOppps im giving away too much.. never mind.. carry on, carry on.. as you were.... where do you go jogging again?.. LOL :laugh:

Hmmm perhaps u should think about finding a professional to talk to???
    Lol :p
  • wellbert
    Options

^that^

A. Mace
    C. Firearm
    D. Nothing

Which do you pick?

Well, as said bad guy is likely to be bigger and stronger than me, I reckon the minute I reached for A. B or C he'd take it off me and I'd have just provided him with a weapon.

I'd rather use some neat self-defence move and then leg it - or try to avoid the situation in the first place.

Of course, that is a possibility. It's not really useful if not used at range, and if not a complete surprise.

Avoidance is always the best option, I agree.

Self defense moves are highly, highly overrated.

The knee example someone posted. It's harder than you think. Not everyone is standing there with legs shoulder width apart and body facing you.

I'm good with my knees. I do Muay Thai. I'm pretty quick, and have some good power. I don't think I'd try to knee/kick an attacker.
  • _LilPowerHouse
    Options

^that^

A. Mace
    C. Firearm
    D. Nothing

Which do you pick?

Hmmm perhaps u should think about finding a professional to talk to???
    Lol :p

There are plenty of professionals here on MFP... thank you very much!!
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I live in Canada. That stuff doesn't happen here. I'd be more worried about being run down by someone talking on their cell phone.

I live in Australia and it's pretty safe here, plus it's a lot harder to get a gun license here than it is in USA I think. Over here hardly anyone owns a gun!

However, it's generally not the LEGAL gun owners you have to worry about, it's the criminals that obtain their guns ILLEGALLY that are generally the problem.

There are 5 times as many firearm related deaths per capita in the USA than in Canada. There are 10 times as many in the USA as in Australia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

I hardly think people in Australia need to worry about illegal gun owners killing them. Or, rather, it's much more likely to be killed by a legal gun owner in the US than an illegal one in Australia.

The idea that you need a gun while jogging is ridiculous. How many people have actually saved themselves from an attacker while jogging? 1 in 100 million??? Puh-lease...

--P
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Not everyone that carries does so out of fear or because they live in a bad area or even because they "need" to carry. It is our right in this country (most of it anyway) to carry firearms. It's got nothing to do with "need". I carry because it's part of my job but I also carry because I have taken it upon myself to provide for my own safety and not rely on others to keep me safe. I may or may not "need" to carry but it's my choice to do so. And I choose to do so.
  • ebony__
    Options
    Snakes and sharks are much more of a concern than guns when I'm out and about
  • sjohnny
    Options

A. Mace
    C. Firearm
    D. Nothing

Which do you pick?

At least 90% of people will never be in that situation.

It's not the odds. It's the stakes.
  • sjohnny
    Options

Not for me. I can shoot them with my gun.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I run with a portal gun.

Portal.png
  • wellbert
    Options
    and- don't get me wrong- I'm not trying to say one way or the other is better. I'm just curious why someone would rather be unarmed/helpless than have deterrents.
  • ebony__
    Options

You'd even take your gun swimming?
  • _LilPowerHouse
    Options
    I run with a portal gun.

Portal.png

OOOHHHH, i need one of these..
  • ebony__
    Options
    and- don't get me wrong- I'm not trying to say one way or the other is better. I'm just curious why someone would rather be unarmed/helpless than have deterrents.

Because I don't want to break the law :)
  • wellbert
    Options

Have to use a spear gun. A hand gun isn't very useful underwater.

xD
  • wellbert
    Options

Because I don't want to break the law :)

So you would disagree with the following statement:

"I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6."
  • sjohnny
    Options

Why not? I've got a stainless one. I've got a plastic one too.

Like I said earlier, the ONLY time I'm not carrying is when I'm running.

:wink: