Blaming TOM (please stop)

Options

Replies

• jmalone71
    jmalone71 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm just as guilty as giving in to cravings, but you should NOT blame your period for your nutritional indiscretions. YOU made the choice to eat whatever you ate, and you make yourself (and all women) sound weak when you blame your body for a choice your mind made. I'm so sick of seeing people make excuses every other day for why they chose to forgo exercise or eat six large pizzas.

Example: "TOM had me eating cinnamon buns, UGHHH guess I'll start over tomorrow."

NO. Your period didn't make you do a d*mn thing, except spend $4 on a box of tampons. Stop making women seem pathetic and incapable of rational thought.

If you do not get driving urges to eat sugar and other bad things on your period, then goodie for you, IMO ...... people are blaming their periods because of the urge's that are harder to fight when it is hormones working against you , man , get off your high horse !! ...... I think more women have those urges at the TOM than not . ..... If it was just as simple as not picking it up and eating it , then it would be a whole lot easier to not do it !!
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Did you TOM make you post that?!

(ducks behind keyboard and shivers a little)

I'm just glad that was posted by a female and not a guy. Otherwise, the internet would've just melted.. =]

Thin ice dude, thin ice :wink:
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Some people just need an excuse to pig out. If they just ate in moderation instead of starving themselves of the foods they like, they wouldn't need to.

People are freaking stuuuupid and people who over-eat clearly constantly do not want to lose weight badly enough.

Also...Yeah, $4 tampons, haven't seen those. More like $8!

I'm sorry that you think I'm stupid and that you think I don't want to lose weight. My ticker and my therapist both say otherwise. Have a great day!
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Why does it bother anybody that other women give in to cravings or even blame it on their period? You know your body better than I know your body, and I know my body better than you know my body.

I don't really suffer from cravings, except for some tasty red meat. However, it does tick me off when others jump on women for toning down their activity level. If I exercise at my normal level, I vomit or faint. So, I'm just going to stick for what works for me and doesn't end up with me retching at the park. You stick with what works for you! :drinker:

Exactly, I vomit almost every month on day 1 and I have fainted during my period on several occasions. so no I never work out on the first day because getting out the bed is a challenge unless I am drugged up on Ibuprofen . If you have a mild period, consider yourself lucky. But don't think that every woman is sharing your experiences.

This sounds severe...Have you talked to your doctor/OB about this? GOod luck to you!

Oh its much better now than it was in my teens. I was sent home from school every month. I would pass out in class. I used to have to take prescription pain killers. I haven't fainted in years, but I do still get nauseous and the cramps can get pretty bad. I sleep with a heating pad on my stomach and that helps, along with some aleve and chamomile tea. I am generally not hungry, but I crave sweets. So yes I do blame TOM because when he's gone I am focused and back on track, but in spite of my best efforts when he is there I can't give my diet or workout 100%
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    NO one wants to see these posts and yes your making women look pathetic.

I guess, using that logic, I could say you're making it look like women are uneducated. Not meaning to pick on you in particular, but your ungrammatical post provides a nice example I can use. If I use your post to make an assumption about the ability of women to use language correctly, are you to blame for making women look stupid, or am I to blame for making a sweeping assumption about a half the human population?
  • Rinkermann
    Rinkermann Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Dieting isn't easy and we all know you will stumble occasionally. However, if you dodge responsibility you will fail.
  • Kristin_Burleigh
    Options
    Won't lie, when TOM comes for me I do crave chocolate more (I absolutely HATE chocolate normally), but I don't really give in. I have to agree though. Some people are just looking for an excuse to indulge.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    NO one wants to see these posts and yes your making women look pathetic.

I guess, using that logic, I could say you're making it look like women are uneducated. Not meaning to pick on you in particular, but your ungrammatical post provides a nice example I can use. If I use your post to make an assumption about the ability of women to use language correctly, are you to blame for making women look stupid, or am I to blame for making a sweeping assumption about a half the human population?

/thread
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Why does it bother anybody that other women give in to cravings or even blame it on their period? You know your body better than I know your body, and I know my body better than you know my body.

I don't really suffer from cravings, except for some tasty red meat. However, it does tick me off when others jump on women for toning down their activity level. If I exercise at my normal level, I vomit or faint. So, I'm just going to stick for what works for me and doesn't end up with me retching at the park. You stick with what works for you! :drinker:

Exactly, I vomit almost every month on day 1 and I have fainted during my period on several occasions. so no I never work out on the first day because getting out the bed is a challenge unless I am drugged up on Ibuprofen . If you have a mild period, consider yourself lucky. But don't think that every woman is sharing your experiences.

This sounds severe...Have you talked to your doctor/OB about this? GOod luck to you!

Oh its much better now than it was in my teens. I was sent home from school every month. I would pass out in class. I used to have to take prescription pain killers. I haven't fainted in years, but I do still get nauseous and the cramps can get pretty bad. I sleep with a heating pad on my stomach and that helps, along with some aleve and chamomile tea. I am generally not hungry, but I crave sweets. So yes I do blame TOM because when he's gone I am focused and back on track, but in spite of my best efforts when he is there I can't give my diet or workout 100%

Oh...I don't know what workout routine you are doing and if you try to eat a clean diet. But I found hot yoga helped me a lot when I was younger.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Does TOM drive anyone else to drink?
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options

It used to be much worse (unable to move, sweating a river, etc), but it's slightly better through the power of Yaz. However, I do still experience some extreme symptoms that are exacerbated by my regular exercise regimen. So, I honestly don't get where some women here get off generalizing simply because their period is clearly filled with will power and awesomeness.
  • albayin
    Options
    Some people just need an excuse to pig out. If they just ate in moderation instead of starving themselves of the foods they like, they wouldn't need to.

People are freaking stuuuupid and people who over-eat clearly constantly do not want to lose weight badly enough.

I'm sorry that you think I'm stupid and that you think I don't want to lose weight. My ticker and my therapist both say otherwise. Have a great day!

Honestly you don't have to take statement like this so personally. Just ignore that and you'll be fine. :flowerforyou:
  • OhKelsey1
    Options
    ... Are you on it right now?

Jeez. Chill.
  • ziggyc
    ziggyc Posts: 191 Member
    Options

You're awesome!!
  • albayin
    Options
    Does TOM drive anyone else to drink?

You mean drink water? *wink* I do fine myself more thirsty.

No it doesn't drive me to alcohol just french fries and brownies. LOL
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options

It used to be much worse (unable to move, sweating a river, etc), but it's slightly better through the power of Yaz. However, I do still experience some extreme symptoms that are exacerbated by my regular exercise regimen. So, I honestly don't get where some women here get off generalizing simply because their period is clearly filled with will power and awesomeness.

Power and awesomeness, Love It!!!
  • AlexandraLynch
    Options
    The only thing that my period makes me want to do foodwise is eat a very large very rare steak. With an air that says "if you get in my way, I will happily eat YOU." That can be worked around.

Now, it does get in my way in terms of exercise because I get the Giant Angry Boobs of Doom! and moving my arms becomes tricky, as does changing body positions. And moving during cramping that is quite equal to childbirth is not what I do. But that is not as bad as it used to be. Most of the time now it doesn't make me actually vomit, I just go white and sweat and weep. So I take pills, and then all I can do is sleep, but eh, I wasn't going to be able to do anything effective that day anyway.

I can keep eating decently, and go back to the exercise I can do once it all settles down, and immediately afterwards I do lose the water I was hanging on to.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm just as guilty as giving in to cravings, but you should NOT blame your period for your nutritional indiscretions. YOU made the choice to eat whatever you ate, and you make yourself (and all women) sound weak when you blame your body for a choice your mind made. I'm so sick of seeing people make excuses every other day for why they chose to forgo exercise or eat six large pizzas.

Example: "TOM had me eating cinnamon buns, UGHHH guess I'll start over tomorrow."

NO. Your period didn't make you do a d*mn thing, except spend $4 on a box of tampons. Stop making women seem pathetic and incapable of rational thought.

TOM is responsible for cravings, but that's because Vitamin B12 and Iron levels go down and most people don't replenish during the bleed, only after. Always increase iron and Vitamin B12 during TOM.
    Actually, the progesterone increase and then fast drop has a great deal to do with the cravings.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Folks ATTRIBUTE their over eating, over indulging, binging, etc to many things. Folks attribute their failures to many things (sabotage etc.). Folks attribute their successes to many things (God, family, hard work...) I guess I just figure: I'll focus on me, and on being positive and supportive on here.

I don't worry that my entire gender looks weak and pathetic because women speak of their PMS cravings a particular way. <shrugs>

Women speak of MANY THINGS on here in a way I wouldn't. I don't worry that it reflects on me.

I've never been overweight, or very overweight. I'd bet you haven't either. I haven't experienced the hormonal imbalances that many obese, and over weight women have. I've never experienced PCOS, diabetes etc. I feel very lucky to not have to deal with those extra hormone affecting issues. But I'm aware of them.

:flowerforyou:
    ps: glad your period is a breeze (mine was relatively speaking, in my 20s at least), and I hope your eventual perimenopause and menopause are as easy as well.
  • stargazer008
    Options
    TOM is kind to me because I don't pig out when he arrives.