Blaming TOM (please stop)

Options

Replies

• ziggyc
    ziggyc Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    It has finally happened! All the crazy shrews of MFP have SYNCED MENSTRUAL CYCLES.

Who will be left standing?

Hahahaha!
  • tnjackso1
    tnjackso1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm so guilty, but working on doing better!!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options
    i always see it more for gaining weight than over eating..oh well, who am i to judge ? maybe tom really DOES exist somewhere to make people eat cinnamon rolls and pizza :laugh: :wink:
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Totally agree OP. I'm in charge of me--100%. Usually I just ignore TOM, bu if he tries to bother me, hurt me, or influence me, he gets crushed by my will (he asked for it, right?). He's no match for me, really.

There aren't enough crutches in the world for all the lame excuses. :wink:

Darla, who is a match against you?!?!?!?!

Haha! Maybe you, my sweet friend, with your skinny jeans falling off!! :happy:

But yeah, I refuse to spend 1/4 of my life miserable. Not gonna happen. Nice try tom (it doesn't really deserve capital letters the more I think about it. ) :bigsmile:
  • butterflylady86
    butterflylady86 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Wow where do you get your tampons from. Cause I spend at least 5 or more.
  • missytrishy
    missytrishy Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm just as guilty as giving in to cravings, but you should NOT blame your period for your nutritional indiscretions. YOU made the choice to eat whatever you ate, and you make yourself (and all women) sound weak when you blame your body for a choice your mind made. I'm so sick of seeing people make excuses every other day for why they chose to forgo exercise or eat six large pizzas.

Example: "TOM had me eating cinnamon buns, UGHHH guess I'll start over tomorrow."

NO. Your period didn't make you do a d*mn thing, except spend $4 on a box of tampons. Stop making women seem pathetic and incapable of rational thought.

TOM is responsible for cravings, but that's because Vitamin B12 and Iron levels go down and most people don't replenish during the bleed, only after. Always increase iron and Vitamin B12 during TOM.

...the bleed *cringes*:laugh:
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    My cravings dont happen while Aunt flo is visiting... Its when she is on the plane, almost landing, and calls to tell me she'll be over soon... Once she gets here. I feel fine. She is a really bad cook , LOL
    I was wondering when this post was going to get all metaphorical. This is getting rich! :) thank you.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I don't know who this TOM guy is, but he sounds like a real douche.

:laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Tickateeboo
    Tickateeboo Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm just as guilty as giving in to cravings, but you should NOT blame your period for your nutritional indiscretions. YOU made the choice to eat whatever you ate, and you make yourself (and all women) sound weak when you blame your body for a choice your mind made. I'm so sick of seeing people make excuses every other day for why they chose to forgo exercise or eat six large pizzas.

Example: "TOM had me eating cinnamon buns, UGHHH guess I'll start over tomorrow."

NO. Your period didn't make you do a d*mn thing, except spend $4 on a box of tampons. Stop making women seem pathetic and incapable of rational thought.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    And Tom is a real douche, I have never been able to work out the first day he comes to visits. Sometimes not the second day either. I envy women who can. Tom is a big jerk who disrupts my life every month, screws with my routine and makes me want to eat a whole chocolate cake. Yeah I blame him, because when he's gone, I'm me again. He's so controlling, if I could ditch him I would
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Question, does anyone else lose steadily while ON their TOM? This happens to me and I can almost count on it every single month happening.
    I'm one of those rare people who actually lose during TOM and then the following week will lose two to 3 pounds. But I always lose 1 pound that week. Wonder if its because I drink a lot more water and eat lighter. I also find that exercise helps reduce the cramping. So I continue to exercise regardless of how bad I feel. I push myself to do what I normally do at any other time and it works for me. Even though I have fibroids it seems to help to just keep moving.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    so hormonal changes do not affect the brain?
  • NotSoBigNeil
    NotSoBigNeil Posts: 215 Member
    Options

Did you TOM make you post that?!

(ducks behind keyboard and shivers a little)

I'm just glad that was posted by a female and not a guy. Otherwise, the internet would've just melted.. =]

^^WIN!!!^^
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I think I love you. :heart:
  • Mofette
    Mofette Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I prefer to call it Shark Week than TOM though, TBH
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I think the last time I blamed the TOM for anything was when I was 16 and a *****y whiny teenager...
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    This thread is very amusing to me. I'm curious why people are so bothered by other people apparently saying 'TOM made me do it!' I'd find it quite amusing to see someone post that!

On a serious note, 'TOM' affects different women very very differently, so each woman should do what she thinks best, knowing her own body, rather than worry about whether some random internet people are bothered by what she does when... er... Uncle TOM comes for a visit!

^^ THIS times a million
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Wow where do you get your tampons from. Cause I spend at least 5 or more.
    Yeah tell me about it! At least 5 something a box here.
  • _KatieKat
    Options

Toatally 100 % agree with this!!!!!!!, Shut up already about it. NO one wants to see these posts and yes your making women look pathetic.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I agree with you in almost every way. The cravings, junkfood, over-eating, tiredness and not working out, blah blah blah. Excuses. You might crave more but you could always make the right choices. One thing I battle during TOM is water retention. Last month I gained a pound and a half even though I stayed within calorie budget and exercised everyday. I worked out 3 hours each day! *No fair! Pout* The day after my period ended I was rewarded with a whoosh! 3 pounds down. So I lost the 1.5 water weight plus another 1.5.
    Fast forward:
    This month I was careful. I stayed within calorie budget, stepped up the workouts to 3 hours PLUS my strength training instead of 3 hours INCLUDING my strength training. But most of all I guzzled water till my eyeballs were floating in it. This time I didn't gain and my period ended yesterday. Stepped on the scale today and found I'm 2 pounds less than my Monday weight.

So it can be done, but I had to work really hard to fight the water retention. My usual good habits still allowed me to gain a lb and a half last month. I think a good way to tell the difference is, does your gain disappear the day your period ends or the day after? If not, it probably isn't period-related water retention.