Blaming TOM (please stop)

Options

Replies

• albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I've thought it a ton of times. Sure we all have our time to deal with but it didn't just start. We've been getting it long enough we should know how to deal with it by now! Adjust what you do and move on! TOM does not have to mean weight gain and/or binging!!!

I guess the best is do your own thing and let others do theirs. :)
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

TOM is responsible for cravings, but that's because Vitamin B12 and Iron levels go down and most people don't replenish during the bleed, only after. Always increase iron and Vitamin B12 during TOM.
    [/quote]

My cravings dont happen while Aunt flo is visiting... Its when she is on the plane, almost landing, and calls to tell me she'll be over soon... Once she gets here. I feel fine. She is a really bad cook , LOL
  • BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    As for the exercise part, I am anemic and cannot absorb iron very well, so yes, I do exercise less during that TOM (I also have PCOS and get wicked cramps, ect...). I gain weight during that time even when controlling my eating but it's just water retention from the hormones and goes away a few days afterward. As for the cravings- I just try to plan ahead and fit them into my day! Cravings are completely normal for most women during that time and the key is just some extra self control lol

That being said, what may be an easy experience for you may be a totally different experience for someone else. It's all about how your body reacts to hormones.

I quite literally can't exercise mid-cycle. I have tried and passed out. It was fun. I *wanted* to exercise yesterday SO badly but I couldn't even sit without being in huge amounts of pain. I was considering using a butter knife to remove my right ovary. It was lovely.

TOM I am actually fine (other than my IBS flaring).
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options

TOM is responsible for cravings, but that's because Vitamin B12 and Iron levels go down and most people don't replenish during the bleed, only after. Always increase iron and Vitamin B12 during TOM.
    [/quote]

My cravings dont happen while Aunt flo is visiting... Its when she is on the plane, almost landing, and calls to tell me she'll be over soon... Once she gets here. I feel fine. She is a really bad cook , LOL
    [/quote]

this made me LOL for real. haha!
  • careyannal
    Options
    Even though it is obviously our choice and no one else's what we end up eating during TOM, I personally get much more intense cravings and am a lot hungrier than normal.

Its not an excuse to eat like *kitten*, I agree, but it is definetaly a harder battle to stick to the plan during TOM for a lot of people.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    This thread is very amusing to me. I'm curious why people are so bothered by other people apparently saying 'TOM made me do it!' I'd find it quite amusing to see someone post that!

On a serious note, 'TOM' affects different women very very differently, so each woman should do what she thinks best, knowing her own body, rather than worry about whether some random internet people are bothered by what she does when... er... Uncle TOM comes for a visit!
  • PaleoRDH
    Options
    OK it took me a minute to figure out WTF "TOM" meant. Even though I'm female, never used that term before. It's usually called "Shark week" or "OTR" in my lil hillbilly neck of the woods. Anyhow, TOM makes me sometimes want to kill people too.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

On a serious note, 'TOM' affects different women very very differently, so each woman should do what she thinks best, knowing her own body, rather than worry about whether some random internet people are bothered by what she does when... er... Uncle TOM comes for a visit!

Totally. :flowerforyou:
  • PaleoRDH
    Options

OMG you've lost 126 pounds!?!?!?!? You.........my dear...........are a wicked bada$$. Sorry, off topic
  • gogonunubean
    gogonunubean Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    OK it took me a minute to figure out WTF "TOM" meant. Even though I'm female, never used that term before. It's usually called "Shark week" or "OTR" in my lil hillbilly neck of the woods. Anyhow, TOM makes me sometimes want to kill people too.

Shark Week! :laugh:

I love this
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options

OMG you've lost 126 pounds!?!?!?!? You.........my dear...........are a wicked bada$$. Sorry, off topic

Were you talking to me? LOL Thanks! A work still in progress. ;)
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I crave for sugar/chocolate. I do blame it on TOM because I normally don't have such *intense* cravings until around that 'time'. You can only blame yourself for giving into the craving. I give in but keep it in moderation.. like this month it was for craisins... I made sure I didn't eat more than 2/3cups (260cal) to stay within my daily calories.
  • o2bADyer
    Options
    I'm just as guilty as giving in to cravings, but you should NOT blame your period for your nutritional indiscretions. YOU made the choice to eat whatever you ate, and you make yourself (and all women) sound weak when you blame your body for a choice your mind made. I'm so sick of seeing people make excuses every other day for why they chose to forgo exercise or eat six large pizzas.

Example: "TOM had me eating cinnamon buns, UGHHH guess I'll start over tomorrow."

NO. Your period didn't make you do a d*mn thing, except spend $4 on a box of tampons. Stop making women seem pathetic and incapable of rational thought.

Did you TOM make you post that?!

(ducks behind keyboard and shivers a little)

I'm just glad that was posted by a female and not a guy. Otherwise, the internet would've just melted.. =]

LMAO!! :laugh:
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Shark week! Ahahahahahahahahahaha:laugh:
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I wish women would stop attacking other women.
  • risak
    risak Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Question, does anyone else lose steadily while ON their TOM? This happens to me and I can almost count on it every single month happening.

Oh I wish.... I typically gain 2-5lbs that week, but it's not from eating more, just water retention because I lose that 2-5lbs plus whatever I actually lost the next week. Major fluctuations in my world :P

Major fluctuations! I gain 3-5lbs and I crave the hell out of mac and cheese. It's what I gotta do.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    TOM left me 4 years ago so I really have no excuse!! LOL!
  • mama4loca
    Options
    LOL!!!
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    My will power during TOM is almost non-existent. I don't eat a lot, I just eat bad things. And you know what, why the hell not. I have to bleed for five days with cramps that make me feel like someone is churning butter in my gut, if I want a cinnabun, I will have a cinnabun dammit!!!!
  • PaleoRDH
    Options

Were you talking to me? LOL Thanks! A work still in progress. ;)

YES I was talking to you you've done FABULOUS and you are workin' that pic on the right side of your profile pic! Way to GO!!!! :bigsmile: