Blaming TOM (please stop)

I'm just as guilty as giving in to cravings, but you should NOT blame your period for your nutritional indiscretions. YOU made the choice to eat whatever you ate, and you make yourself (and all women) sound weak when you blame your body for a choice your mind made. I'm so sick of seeing people make excuses every other day for why they chose to forgo exercise or eat six large pizzas.

Example: "TOM had me eating cinnamon buns, UGHHH guess I'll start over tomorrow."

NO. Your period didn't make you do a d*mn thing, except spend $4 on a box of tampons. Stop making women seem pathetic and incapable of rational thought.

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Thank you!

Of course, I feel the same way about anyone posting about anything "causing" them to eat. Oh, a coworker brought home made goodies, so I had to. I went to dinner with friends, so I had to. It was offered to me, so I had to.

Blah. Unless someone is prying open your mouth and physically shoving the food down your throat, that was a conscious choice you made to eat that food, quit blaming it on everyone else!

On a side note, where are you finding tampons for $4, they're like $7 here. lol
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    I'm just as guilty as giving in to cravings, but you should NOT blame your period for your nutritional indiscretions. YOU made the choice to eat whatever you ate, and you make yourself (and all women) sound weak when you blame your body for a choice your mind made. I'm so sick of seeing people make excuses every other day for why they chose to forgo exercise or eat six large pizzas.

Example: "TOM had me eating cinnamon buns, UGHHH guess I'll start over tomorrow."

NO. Your period didn't make you do a d*mn thing, except spend $4 on a box of tampons. Stop making women seem pathetic and incapable of rational thought.

Did you TOM make you post that?!

(ducks behind keyboard and shivers a little)

I'm just glad that was posted by a female and not a guy. Otherwise, the internet would've just melted.. =]
  • sarafit926
    sarafit926 Posts: 62 Member

Bahahah, I get the generic CVS ones. Or shop at Costco/BJs/Sam's Club and stock up for, like, the year.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Everything in moderation. No need to use TOM as an excuse to eat something yummy, however for those who are restricting certain foods It's a wonderful time to have a treat you wouldn't normally eat on a daily basis. There's no need to feel guilty about it.

Walgreen's, & CVS usually have them on sale. I've found Tampax 2 for $6., even less with coupons. :flowerforyou:
  • What is TOM?

EDIT: Nevermind. Pieced it together with the other posts about tampons and emotions.
  • sarafit926
    sarafit926 Posts: 62 Member
    What is TOM?

EDIT: Nevermind. Pieced it together with the other posts about tampons and emotions.

Haha. Yup, it's a top-secret way for women to talk about periods without actually talking about periods.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    What is TOM?

you don't know TOM? Apparently he is quite mean...
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Totally agree OP. I'm in charge of me--100%. Usually I just ignore TOM, bu if he tries to bother me, hurt me, or influence me, he gets crushed by my will (he asked for it, right?). He's no match for me, really.

There aren't enough crutches in the world for all the lame excuses. :wink:
  • goalpeace
    goalpeace Posts: 272 Member
    Everything in moderation. No need to use TOM as an excuse to eat something yummy, however for those who are restricting certain foods It's a wonderful time to have a treat you wouldn't normally eat on a daily basis. There's no need to feel guilty about it.

Walgreen's, & CVS usually have them on sale. I've found Tampax 2 for $6., even less with coupons. :flowerforyou:

THIS. Walgreens has the 2 for 1 deal going on this week for Tampax...I know cause it's TOM :wink:

I used to give into TOM but now I battle it no matter what it brings!!
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    I must agree that TOM can be quite persuasive some times. He tends to visit me every 3 weeks or so, so if I gave into him ALL of the time I'd weigh 200 lbs. It does put a blip in my losses...but perservence keeps me going. :D
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    AMEN, OP.

If anything, I am less likely to eat while I' m experiencing nauseating headaches.

I mean, if we're going to blame TOM then I'm going to start blaming my ovulation, and then also blame the week after for recovery..
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    On the other hand, the hormonal changes of TOM can mean some women need to adjust their diet and activity level during that time, not as an excuse, but as a conscious decision, to maintain energy levels and health. I do this myself, with no shame and no desire for anyone to 'excuse' me for it.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Incidentally, $4 for tampons seems rather a lot to pay! I get a pack of 32 for £1 in Asda (the British branch of Walmart).
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    I've blamed TOM before... but, if I'm honest with myself, it's just me being weak. After all... the hunger never seems to stop. LOL. I am doing better now, though.

Thanks for this board. It gave me a good laugh.
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    I think if you go round thinking that it is impossible to resist TOM cravings, then of course you will give in to them because you will never properly try to resist. If you think this is not the case then you will resist them because you are convinced that it is easy enough to do so.

We all need a couple of rest days every so often or at least a couple that are a bit more relaxed and if you find it suits you to have these during your TOM then fair enough. And some people do find that if they are very heavy then they can feel drained, so take it easy for a bit but do not use it as an excuse to blow the entire thing and then say 'it was TOM that made me do it'. It wasn't, it was you.
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    I just blame TOM for water weight/bloating....but I do give into craving sometimes - but that is all me! :happy:
  • Does bloating count?!

I so blame Aun't Flow for that one.
  • BandForAlyAnne
    BandForAlyAnne Posts: 321 Member

awesome.i agree. isnt it funny how i almost never gain weight on my period?
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member

LMAO
  • Pahahahaha! Love this :)