Blaming TOM (please stop)

Options

Replies

• ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Question, does anyone else lose steadily while ON their TOM? This happens to me and I can almost count on it every single month happening.

Yes, I do :happy:

Me too! I lose weight when I stress out, and I tend to stress out during TOM.
  • GypsysBloodRose26
    GypsysBloodRose26 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Aren't you all SOOOOOO superior.

Why not try just worring about you?? Is it your time of the month? or is being a judgmental B a day to day state for you all?

This seems more judgmental than what the OP stated.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    OP - I agree to not make excuses - if you eat it, you ate it - log it and move on.

However - if the doctors and scientists are to be believed, then there is a hormonal and biological reason that woman (and their brains) may crave sweets and fat before and during TOM. One's willpower also originates in the brain - exactly the place where all these changes happen every month...so is it not logical to consider that our will power to resist these cravings will also be dimished/effected?

I agree with you. I forgot where I read this. It said "will power, like muscle, the more you use it, the easier it will break down". LOL I don't mind taking small breaks every month for a couple of days enjoying some indulgence. But I don't complain if I don't lose weight either.
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Read this somewhere and laughed. "TOM? How did the guy from Myspace make you eat 12 bars of chocolate?"

OMG that's hillarious!! :laugh:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Poor Tom! Women are always blaming him for stuff. (oops, I hadn't read the comments yet)

On a side note, you have to take rest days when weight lifting anyway, so why not plan it to coincide with TOM, if that's helpful. I don't see why anyone cares when other people plan their rest days.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

Why not try just worring about you?? Is it your time of the month? or is being a judgmental B a day to day state for you all?

She might sound a bit...rough but I can see where she came from. Honestly, I don't think she's being more judgemental than OP.
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Well, if someone had a bad day and needs to justify it to themselves to make them feel better, let them.

If it's not your thing, fine, but that doesn't mean others should do it.

Cravings come hand in hand with that time, it's your choice whether you give in or not, but I don't think any less of anyone that does, we are all going to do it at some point.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options

It's my TOM. wacka wacka
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    As for the exercise part, I am anemic and cannot absorb iron very well, so yes, I do exercise less during that TOM (I also have PCOS and get wicked cramps, ect...). I gain weight during that time even when controlling my eating but it's just water retention from the hormones and goes away a few days afterward. As for the cravings- I just try to plan ahead and fit them into my day! Cravings are completely normal for most women during that time and the key is just some extra self control lol

That being said, what may be an easy experience for you may be a totally different experience for someone else. It's all about how your body reacts to hormones.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I'm just as guilty as giving in to cravings, but you should NOT blame your period for your nutritional indiscretions. YOU made the choice to eat whatever you ate, and you make yourself (and all women) sound weak when you blame your body for a choice your mind made. I'm so sick of seeing people make excuses every other day for why they chose to forgo exercise or eat six large pizzas.

Example: "TOM had me eating cinnamon buns, UGHHH guess I'll start over tomorrow."

NO. Your period didn't make you do a d*mn thing, except spend $4 on a box of tampons. Stop making women seem pathetic and incapable of rational thought.
    You do realize your closing comment unraveled your logic, right?

Any period that could make you spend money could almost certainly also make you eat food. And probably call you names as well.
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Hahaha I love this thread, I'd never blame that time for weight gain that really bugs me lol
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I've thought it a ton of times. Sure we all have our time to deal with but it didn't just start. We've been getting it long enough we should know how to deal with it by now! Adjust what you do and move on! TOM does not have to mean weight gain and/or binging!!!
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    This thread severely pisses me off. Mostly because I am totally *****y and PMSsing today and just ate a piece of cake that I normally would have easily been able to resist.

Eff everyone.
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I'm just as guilty as giving in to cravings, but you should NOT blame your period for your nutritional indiscretions. YOU made the choice to eat whatever you ate, and you make yourself (and all women) sound weak when you blame your body for a choice your mind made. I'm so sick of seeing people make excuses every other day for why they chose to forgo exercise or eat six large pizzas.

Example: "TOM had me eating cinnamon buns, UGHHH guess I'll start over tomorrow."

NO. Your period didn't make you do a d*mn thing, except spend $4 on a box of tampons. Stop making women seem pathetic and incapable of rational thought.
    Like :drinker:
    Did you TOM make you post that?!

(ducks behind keyboard and shivers a little)

I'm just glad that was posted by a female and not a guy. Otherwise, the internet would've just melted.. =]
  • JamesterCK
    JamesterCK Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I agree! I used to use that excuse all the time to eat whatever I wanted because I was on my period. Now that I'm eating healthy though I really don't get those cravings anymore.
  • juicygurl1
    juicygurl1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I am going to have to disagree with you because hormonal cravings are very real. On the contrary women who experience these cravings need to recognize their weaknesses and not allow PMS to be the diet killer. Ugly symptoms of PMS should be discussed with an OBGYN so that proper medication can be used to help these circumstances.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    but... but.... i swear my female parts threw the snickers into my mouth!
  • Alpina483
    Alpina483 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me think of one of my favourite quotes:

"Your body doesn't care if your mind isn't motivated. Results are the same with or without it. JUST SHOW UP!"

I am SO copying this to my inspirations :happy:
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options

TOM is responsible for cravings, but that's because Vitamin B12 and Iron levels go down and most people don't replenish during the bleed, only after. Always increase iron and Vitamin B12 during TOM.
  • GypsysBloodRose26
    GypsysBloodRose26 Posts: 341 Member
    Options

She might sound a bit...rough but I can see where she came from. Honestly, I don't think she's being more judgemental than OP.

Meh. My superior *kitten* agrees with the OP. As a lot of us on MFP are here to get a handle on food and to lose weight, misplacing the blame for giving into cravings is detrimental. We have find the why we cave in order to help. Women need to stand on their own 2 feet and take the blame for caving to their TOM cravings.