Blaming TOM (please stop)

Options

Replies

• ziggyc
    ziggyc Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    This thread severely pisses me off. Mostly because I am totally *****y and PMSsing today and just ate a piece of cake that I normally would have easily been able to resist.

Eff everyone.

Lol. You're awesome :-)
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I thought the point of this post was to be EMPOWERING. To encourage us all to OWN our choices instead of blaming biology, genetics, the weather, the postman, whatever. If you want to eat a treat, great! What's wrong with OWNING that choice instead of acting like you had absolutely no control over it? I don't understand how that's a negative message, but some people can make anything negative.

You could see it that way and that's good for you. You know the same message could lead to totally opposite output if the carrier uses different way to express it.

That's true. It's difficult to glean someone's true meaning on the internet. I'm misunderstood about 98% of the time. :laugh:
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    It was my period that murdered that bus full of tourists.
    see thats why i feed mine paprin and "irish"coffee
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I thought the point of this post was to be EMPOWERING. To encourage us all to OWN our choices instead of blaming biology, genetics, the weather, the postman, whatever. If you want to eat a treat, great! What's wrong with OWNING that choice instead of acting like you had absolutely no control over it? I don't understand how that's a negative message, but some people can make anything negative.

Even though we all have TOM, its not the same for all of us. For some people it doesn't seem to bother them at all. Sometimes I can't even go to work. So you know what if you are good all month long and TOM came around and you had a cinnabun, and said tomorrow is a new day, what is wrong with that. You gave in to the crazy hormones overtaking your body, but you will try harder the next day. I don't think we should use TOM to go overboard, but to expect ourselves to be 100% perfect on our diet and fitness routine during TOM isn't realistic either.
  • crw72209
    crw72209 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it called TOM.....I usually say Aunt Flo is visiting! Hate that "B"! hahahahahahahha
  • MeliJean78
    Options
    It has finally happened! All the crazy shrews of MFP have SYNCED MENSTRUAL CYCLES.

Who will be left standing?
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    My appetite goes up during the week preceding my cycle start like clock work. NOOOO it does not MAKE me eat I still choose to consume things when I do. I also retain heavily. It not blaming it, it just is what my body does.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy, not a total, so my ovaries were still there along with the hormones. Afterwards I never even noticed weight gain, bloating, cravings,etc at all during the month. I think that some people really do have those issues but for me I think it was in my head. We are told that it causes cravings so we believe it. Also, comfort foods increase good feeling hormones that help with depression. Perhaps that is why bodies crave carbs then? Hormone fluctuations can do crazy things, along with our brains.
  • chezileigh
    Options
    everything doesn't have to be a message all the time. sometimes we can do what we want, and leave others to do the same.
  • R_Calvillo
    R_Calvillo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    What is TOM?

EDIT: Nevermind. Pieced it together with the other posts about tampons and emotions.

you don't know TOM? Apparently he is quite mean...

Ha!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I must have missed those posts.

I've seen threads where folks commented on their appetite, which does change. But not ones where menstruation CAUSED overeating. glad I missed them.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    My will power during TOM is almost non-existent. I don't eat a lot, I just eat bad things. And you know what, why the hell not. I have to bleed for five days with cramps that make me feel like someone is churning butter in my gut, if I want a cinnabun, I will have a cinnabun dammit!!!!

BAHAHAHAAHAA :laugh:

I want CARBS. I carb load. Screw the bacon, turkey, chicken...give me carbs or give me death!!!

Exactly, carbs are the only thing that will make me feel good.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it called TOM.....I usually say Aunt Flo is visiting! Hate that "B"! hahahahahahahha
    It's generally ToM (time of the month)
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Stop making women seem pathetic and incapable of rational thought.

Actually, random, individual women don't make women seem pathetic and incapable of rational thought. If anyone thinks women are pathetic and incapable of rational thought, that is their own thought process that made them do it - no one made them think it! People who make sweeping assumptions about all women can't blame random women for the fact that they've chosen to assume that one woman represents the lot of them!

Think about it - it's like saying that an aggressive black person is responsible for people thinking all black people are aggressive. It's denying people's individuality - and their right not to fit into your little box of what people should be like. Individual women are not responsible for what people in general think of women - that's daft! Any woman has the right to be needy, whiny, passive-aggressive, weak, negative, and any number of undesirable characteristics - they may make her unpopular, but they are definitely not the cause of people making huge sweeping statements about women in general!
  • gc_tweety
    gc_tweety Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Totally agree OP. I'm in charge of me--100%. Usually I just ignore TOM, bu if he tries to bother me, hurt me, or influence me, he gets crushed by my will (he asked for it, right?). He's no match for me, really.

There aren't enough crutches in the world for all the lame excuses. :wink:

Darla, who is a match against you?!?!?!?!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I don't know who this TOM guy is, but he sounds like a real douche.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    oops - double post!
  • chezileigh
    Options
    also, (sorry pressed post half way through!) symptoms caused by increases in hormone production are not solely physical, so we're not blaming our body for something our mind chose to do, our mind is also affected by periods (ask my husband!)

I literally feel like I've been hit by a truck for a week, and that physical condition in itself definitely causes mental and emotional fall out. So I shall eat chocolate and blame whoever the hell I like.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I divorced TOM in March of 2009. The *kitten*! (hysterectomy)
  • anonymousKel
    anonymousKel Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    TOM affects people in different ways...I lost at TOM two months on the trot but the bloating does make me feel like I have put on. I do feel nibbly but aware of it so dont let it affect my healthy eating habits. Just workout harder and TRY to satisfy them that way. I am very much in charge of my own nutrition but if some people don't get affected good for them. I on the other hand feel strained each month...maybe its my age :p