Fake Pictures...

Options
GorillaEsq
GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
I've noticed that a vast majority of member pictures on MFP are, or at least appear to be, "real." In fact, compared to most social networks, I think there is a solid argument that MFP members are notably more honest about their pictures than most social sites.

All that said, on occasion, I browse past a profile that is CLEARLY using fake pictures. And I'm not talking about pictures of their pets, funny JPG's, etc. I'm talking about pictures in which a member discusses how great their abs look, when a Copyright © JCPennys.com notice is clearly visible at the bottom. Really?

I guess my point with this post is to ask "why?"

I'm not saying the practice is good, nor bad. I'm just curious about the psychology itself.

Keep being awesome.

Replies

• mattack
    mattack Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's a goal picture?
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    Maybe it's a goal picture?
    I've seen those. In fact a friend of my has one like that. However, she specifically says on her profile, "This is not me, but it will be."

That I understand.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I agree!!! I've seen one girl posting what appears to be body parts of many different women and oddly enough her face is NEVER in any of the hot parts pics, but only face shots. ....SMH
  • canelly
    canelly Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Pervs acting like they look good : /
  • purpleblaze
    Options
    my pictures real...this is what i look like at 1am and drunken to the point that i cant see straight...not bad i thought..(not something i do often either) im proud to be me, i wouldnt use a pic that wasnt me..thats just weird :)
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    I agree!!! I've seen one girl posting what appears to be body parts of many different women and oddly enough her face is NEVER in any of the hot parts pics, but only face shots. ....SMH
    Exactly. And my point to that is... wtf? If you don't want to use your real picture, I get it. I'm not exactly "pretty." But why try to deceive other members. That's just kinda creepy.
  • 13inchestogo
    13inchestogo Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Hmm I don't see what the point would be to lie to a virtual community about what your abs look like lol.
    Assuming they actually came here to get fit and not just screw around, I've got some random chick in the far right of my picture beside real life ones of me, I have her because I think she's freakin hot and I wanna be like her. That's my goal! :happy: One day!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I mine were fake, I'd have picked a heck of a lot better.
  • MeliJean78
    Options
    Mine is 100% Chiquita Banana.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Ya know, sometimes it could even be a man posing as a female for whatever odd reason they have to do that.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I wish mine were fake. I think I should look better!
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    yeah. saw some myself. just attention douches trying to get attention.
    But that's where it gets weird. The question is WHY do they want that attention? It's not them. Why are the "baiting" other members in??
  • Steph4454
    Steph4454 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I know people like this....I feel sorry for them. They are attention freaks. They want to hear:

"Oh EM Gee, you are awesome"

"How'd you do it?"

"You are my inspiration"

This makes them feel good, like they are important in some way, shape or form, then when/if they come back to reality, they sink down into their depression and feel bad for themselves. At least this is my observation. :)
  • jasonr1009
    jasonr1009 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    if i shave my belly hair to make it look like i have abs, does that count? :-p
  • Marlo2012
    Marlo2012 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    That's just creepy :noway:

I'm actually okay with the way I look :blushing:
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    Ya know, sometimes it could even be a man posing as a female for whatever odd reason they have to do that.
    Which is catastrophically creepy...
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    That could be a topic thread all to itself.
  • purpleblaze
    Options
    I've noticed that a vast majority of member pictures on MFP are, or at least appear to be, "real." In fact, compared to most social networks, I think there is a solid argument that MFP members are notably more honest about their pictures than most social sites.

All that said, on occasion, I browse past a profile that is CLEARLY using fake pictures. And I'm not talking about pictures of their pets, funny JPG's, etc. I'm talking about pictures in which a member discusses how great their abs look, when a Copyright © JCPennys.com notice is clearly visible at the bottom. Really?

I guess my point with this post is to ask "why?"

I'm not saying the practice is good, nor bad. I'm just curious about the psychology itself.

Keep being awesome.

lol at your message! looking buzzed haha
  • awadm
    awadm Posts: 252
    Options
    Yeah, I also have a few friends who seem to be posting fake pictures of 'themselves'...I don't get it.

If anything, this is the only social site that people should feel comfortable enough to put real pictures of themselves up without being negatively judged. After all, we're all here to improve our bodies and overall appearance, right?

Desperate for attention, I guess?
  • purpleblaze
    Options

does it count if they are spray tanned on?