Fake Pictures...

Options

Replies

• rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    I had a friend on FB that I kept thinking looked familiar and one day it dawned on me it was an actress I had seen. I looked up photos of the actress and sure enough...it was the same ones on this ladies profile. Everyone kept telling her she was beautiful, asking if she was a model, etc. When I asked her about it (in a nice non-confrontational way) she deleted me. Ego boost I guess.
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that a vast majority of member pictures on MFP are, or at least appear to be, "real." In fact, compared to most social networks, I think there is a solid argument that MFP members are notably more honest about their pictures than most social sites.

All that said, on occasion, I browse past a profile that is CLEARLY using fake pictures. And I'm not talking about pictures of their pets, funny JPG's, etc. I'm talking about pictures in which a member discusses how great their abs look, when a Copyright © JCPennys.com notice is clearly visible at the bottom. Really?

I guess my point with this post is to ask "why?"

I'm not saying the practice is good, nor bad. I'm just curious about the psychology itself.

Keep being awesome.

haha.

If you're gonna fake it people, AT LEAST remove any watermarks first ...
  • nbeth901
    nbeth901 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think most of the internet is fake period. You never know who is really who behind a computer!!
  • xXMollySarusXx
    Options
    Maybe it's a goal picture?
  • HarleyQuinn_12
    HarleyQuinn_12 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I know someone who not only posted a fake picture....but an entire fake profile.
    That is when you realize how crazy and ridiculous people can be. Sad.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    This is not really me<<<<<<<<< lol but the ones on there are!
  • PicNic00
    PicNic00 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    < This pic really is me. I don't care if others judge my orange skin
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I think most of the internet is fake period. You never know who is really who behind a computer!!

To be fair, you never know who someone really is in real life either, but at least with face to face you know what they really look like. But looks don't matter if they're a psycho.
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    You mean, people online brag about things that aren't true and are completely fabricated?? That's just CRAZY talk!!

I'm so upset can barely type this post while I drive my rocket-powered Ferrari to my supermodel-girlfriend's house for a three-way with her cyborg, nymphomaniac roommates. I doubt I'll even be able to curl my regular set of 1000 pound dumbbells tomorrow morning.

True story.

[DISCLAIMER: No nymphomaniac cyborgs were harmed nor injured, neither physically nor emotionally, during the drafting of this post.]

(Yes, I did post that earlier)
  • Presleyforpresident
    Options
    my full face will never be on this website, so for me it's hard to tell sometimes... for the most part people generally seem to use their actual pictures.
    but i agree with you! when a picture is so obviously not you, and you're not saying that this is your goal look, what's the point?
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I knew a girl I used to game with that tried to pass herself off as Liz Vicious. It's too common in games though... and she was probably a guy. Whatever floats their boat.
  • purpleblaze
    Options
    You mean, people online brag about things that aren't true and are completely fabricated?? That's just CRAZY talk!!

I'm so upset can barely type this post while I drive my rocket-powered Ferrari to my supermodel-girlfriend's house for a three-way with her cyborg, nymphomaniac roommates. I doubt I'll even be able to curl my regular set of 1000 pound dumbbells tomorrow morning.

True story.

[DISCLAIMER: No nymphomaniac cyborgs were harmed nor injured, neither physically nor emotionally, during the drafting of this post.]

(Yes, I did post that earlier)

HEY! you cant got to your supermodel girlfriends house in your ferrarri because im coming over for the magical bacon party!
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    HEY! you cant got to your supermodel girlfriends house in your ferrarri because im coming over for the magical bacon party!
    Bacon tease.
  • purpleblaze
    Options
    Bacon tease.

why yes, yes you are ;) and i had my unicorn all ready to go :(
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I took so many real pictures of myself this year I'm surprised I didn't wear out my camera. And I still suck at it. I can't imagine why youwould post fake ones. That would be like making a fake food diary too lol.
  • MsMandy23
    Options
    As far as the face not being in it part, I don't see how this means its not the real person. My pic doesn't have my face in it.. but its me. Some people just might want to remain slightly anonymous. I also know a lot of women who have VS models or the like as their pics. They arent saying thats them, its just a goal to strive for.
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    There have been people who I have believed are fake on here and even had a couple on my friendlist.
    But it doesn't effect me. I just delete and move on since I'm not the guy they're flirting with. LOL.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I'm in recovery and something I have learned is that there are many things I am powerless over. If I can't do anything about an issue I just leave it alone. The only thing I can control is myself. I don't concern myself with things that I have no control over. Its a waste of time and energy. If people are posting fake pics the only one that is hurting is themselves.
  • n_gal87
    n_gal87 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I don't put my real picture on here for several reasons, mostly because I don't want my picture online but also because I'm just not comfortable with myself yet. Maybe when I've lost some of this weight and am feeling more confident I'll put one of myself up. Until then I've got a goal picture up, I'm on here a lot so I find it helpful to look at, every time I look at I think about what I want to look like.

Real picture or not though, its just a picture, all of my comments on here are 100% real. To me that's whats more important - so why does it even matter if people chose to put real or "fake" photos of themselves on here?
  • MizzTweezy
    MizzTweezy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I had a friend on facebook that used some morphing program to make her look skinny and was using it for a profile picture forever, and then she started adding more pictures of her and her kids and family and she was quite large... That was REALLY weird to me!