The Science Behind "Nice" People

GorillaEsq
GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
I am often asked why I'm "big, mean and scary." More specifically, why do I come-off as "intimidating" and/or "indifferent about other people."

The short answer... I distrust everyone until they otherwise prove trustworthy (which for most, never happens).

The longer answer is the Price Equation.

In 1973, George Price, a Harvard professor, chemist and evolutionary statistician established a mathematical covariance equation that definitively calculates altruism and mutability as conjunctive elements of evolution and natural selection.

In lay terms... He proved mathematically that people are only altruistic (aka "nice") to survive and serve their own best interests.

Fundamentally, the algorithm establishes scientific proof that people are only "nice" to serve their own needs of survival and propagate their own genetic code.

The theory is extremely complicated from a mathematical perspective, however fundamentally, it's easy to understand when one boils-down the premise to the old adage "strength in numbers."

By working together as a group, human beings are more likely to thrive and subsequently propagate. Being "nice," is attractive to other with whom one would cooperate and/or breed.

Example: When a woman finds a man attractive, she does so because that male displays physical and/or mental characteristics she would like her offspring to inherit. Thus, in most cases, that female would be "nice" to the potential mate.

Very rarely would a woman find a man attractive, and commence to beating that male with a stick.

Thus, thousands of years ago, tribes were formed. They shared food, water, social conventions, and other basic instruments of conveyance. They also bred with each other.

Tribes became towns... towns became cities... governments... countries.... entire societies... etc.

All that said, the core issue remains true to this day... People are "nice," because they "want something from you" and/or it serves their genetic agenda.

It's been proven, mathematically.

Something to ponder on your way to Sunday school this morning.

Keep being awesome.

Update
For those posting things like, "Well sure, if you look at scientifically..." George Price killed himself two years after this paper was published because he couldn't handle the fact that he eliminated the notion of "humanity," with a proven scientific principle.

Replies

• DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Yea, this expalins why I'm a b****.

That was actually an awesome read. Thanks.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    what a load of cynical crap
  • jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    enjoyed the read. I agree about the not trusting people until they prove it. I do however try to be nice to everyone i first me. Genetically it's me not wanting bad things to happen.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    I'd say it's more correlated than proven.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Seems obvious. I'm sure there is also an evolutionary advantage to being "big, mean and scary". Everything we do boils down to DNA propagation.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Well, sure, people do things largely for themselves. It's how we're designed.

I try to be nice just because I cba to argue or fight with others. Got more important things to worry about. (I'm only human, however, and if pushed will snap, but I've got good at pushing the limit further and further back... it's just not worth the hassle.)

And no, it's not a sign of weakness. I've studied how to injure people for most of my life. I just cba with that hassle, either. Even if it is self-defence, I would still have to waste time going into court, paying a lawyer etc plus the worry that some screwed up judge finds you guilty, anyway!
  • GorillaEsq
    Actually, it's one of the most highly accepted scientific theorems in history. Google "Price Equation."
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    If you want to look at it that way, then everything we do is because we want to get ahead or get laid. I find being 'nice' is just easier than being a *****, which is my natural inclination. When you are 'nice' then people are more receptive to your ideas and cooperative. When people mistake my 'niceness' for weakness then they meet Evil Cheryl. She is always looking for an eager victim...
  • GorillaEsq
    I'm sure there is also an evolutionary advantage to being "big, mean and scary".
    That's the rumor. ;)
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    This. Sure, taking care of each other helps society as a whole, providing a better environment for all of us (can you tell I'm not a republican)? But to say that's the ONLY reason someone would be nice is pretty narrow-focused and discounts all the other motivations driving people.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    I agree we are all selfish but we do not need to be self centered. It goes against our nature to think of others first but it doesn't make it a bad thing to strive for.

Personally, I know that I am selfish but I strive to not be self-centered, so that selfishly, I can be a better person.

D
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    And to think I always thought that women chose men for two reasons:

1.) They drove a way cool sports car.
    2.) They were incredibly handsome.

And my conclusion--cars are not forever!
  • reklawn
    reklawn Posts: 112 Member
    Everything we do is for 'ourselves' if you take it from that perspective. Whether you are nice or intimidating, you are trying to get something... may it be trust, acceptance, companionship, disdain, fear.

I do nice things, yes, because it makes me feel good but also because it makes the other person feel good as well. If there was no positive response from the other person I would not do it. If we didn't get a shot of serotonin for doing positive things, we wouldn't be motivated to do anything.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 441 Member
    Wow, that must be a very miserable world you live in where you a) will not trust anybody and b) you have to break down niceness into a equation that proves that everyone you meet is a self-serving pr*ck.

I'd rather appreciate it when somebody's nice to me and accept, yes there are horrible people out there but it us up to me how I allow that to influence my view of the world. You give horrible people a LOT of power if you allow them make you so cynical.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    This. Sure, taking care of each other helps society as a whole, providing a better environment for all of us (can you tell I'm not a republican)? But to say that's the ONLY reason someone would be nice is pretty narrow-focused and discounts all the other motivations driving people.

I don't think it's saying that that is a conscious reason. Just that that is the reason the attitude of "niceness" developed in the first place.
  • GorillaEsq
    George Price killed himself two years after this paper was published because he couldn't handle the fact that he scientifically eliminated the notion of "humanity."
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member

I actually agree with you and I *am* a Republican. But ridiculous, unfounded mud slinging is always fun, right?
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Oh sh++ I better stop being nice
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    the fact that he scientifically eliminated the notion of "humanity."

one of the most absurd things I have ever read on the internet
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Actually, it's one of the most highly accepted scientific theorems in history. Google "Price Equation."

I accept that it's highly accepted. I don't accept that it's proven in the same way that other scientific facts are proven. Human motivations are complex. It's proven that homicide rates go up with ice cream consumption, but it is not proven that ice cream causes this.

Of course a woman is not beating a man that she wants to date. But it can't be ascribed as simply as she won't get what she wants if she's mean. There's also the happiness, excitement, lust that contribute to positive actions.

When I'm nice, I get something out of it--I prefer to be nice than to be mean. When I get into a heated discussion here, I end up feeling bad and ashamed of myself. So yes, I get something out of it-I feel better and avoid unpleasant feelings. But that explanation is only part of the story.
This discussion has been closed.