The Science Behind "Nice" People

Options

Replies

• opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Ok, I see what you're saying now. So, would it be acceptable for me to simply question other people's motives, until I'm sure of their intentions?

Lol - I'm not your mum, and you're a grown man, so you don't need my permission! Obviously it's up to you to choose your own behaviour based on the evidence you see. The discussion wasn't even about acceptable behaviour, as far as I was aware, so I'm not sure why you're asking me this. But as I stated in a previous post, it's normal human behaviour to look for reasons behind people's behaviour - behaviour doesn't exist in a vacuum, and successful communication depends on working out why people are saying what they're saying and doing what they're doing. Most humans do this automatically, regardless of whether they've studied psychology or Price's theorem.
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    Do you believe that people aren't truly, genuinely nice but are just acting nice out of their own self interest?
    Until they prove otherwise, yes.

That doesn't mean I'm gonna jump-up and whoop 'em. That just means I'm guarded until I understand their motivation.

Sometimes that happens within seconds... Sometimes that never happens at all.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    You were talking about human behaviour, and the reasons behind it. That falls into the category of psychology, whether or not you use the term 'psychology' or not, and it remains in the category of psychology even when you apply statistical theorems to it. Nothing has been 'proven' about human behaviour in this way. All you can say is that there is evidence to suggest a theory. However, obviously in this case, there is contradictory evidence. You can predict, but the predictions will not always be correct. And even if they were, this would still be a theory. The Price equation isn't a proof. It's a theorem, also called the Price theorem. And the results that derive from it are not a proof about human behaviour.
    Ok, I see what you're saying now. So, would it be acceptable for me to simply question other people's motives, until I'm sure of their intentions?

Do you believe that people aren't truly, genuinely nice but are just acting nice out of their own self interest?

That's not how I interpret the theorem. Being nice is in our self interest, so feelings and rewards have developed to encourage that behavior. It's no accident that we "feel good" when we help other people. It's a build in reward which developed because getting along with others is in everyone's interest, including ours.

I think to look suspiciously on nice bahavior based on this theory is ascribing an ulterior motive to people that they really don't consciously have.

I interpret this theorem the same way. It's genetically encoded into us to be nice to each other for the survival of ourselves and society as a whole. The way it is encoded is a built in reward system for being nice to others.

It's not normally a conscious thing. We do nice things- we feel good about ourselves or have more positive feelings as a whole. Most people don't see that as motive, precisely because they don't connect the dots on a conscious level. That's why most people on here assume that they don't have ulterior motives for being nice to people.

That being said, using this theory to justify mistrusting people is counterintuitive because you're assuming a level of conscious selfishness that most people being nice to you simply do not have.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I think you've confused "big and scary" with "self-righteous and idiotic."
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    ayeeee.....I feel like im in college again. this too much critical thinking.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I think that's healthy enough, as long as it doesn't consume you or cause you to go all attorney on the person being nice. Caution is well advised in the world.
    I'm gonna apologize in advance because I set you up with that on purpose. (In fairness, I did ask you to go read it again.) :wink:

In my original post, I said...
    The short answer... I distrust everyone until they otherwise prove trustworthy (which for most, never happens).
    Which you affirm is "healthy enough." When it comes to strangers, I'm not rude. I'm indifferent.

As for me being big, scary and intimidating... I would be such if I were carrying a bouquet of roses, wearing a sundress and singing the theme song from Barney & Friends.... I'm a 6'3, 270 pound, meathead, combatives & firearms instructor, that went to law school.

My physique and disposition don't exactly scream, "Hey there friendly-friend... let's spoon." :tongue:

I think you are responding to someone else. I don't have any issues with *anyone* being distrustful until proven otherwise. My job ensures that people trust me. When people ask why they should, I tell them that they absolutely should not feel pressured to until they have made up their own minds. I didn't say anything about you anywhere, just that I disagree that Price's equation is "proven." I do agree that it is impossible to argue that people are 100% nice with no personal gain.

The mother who referenced comforting her sick child--the gain is that you are not experiencing guilt or having child services called. That doesn't answer why you would feel guilt. (Price may argue it's related to furthering your line--I disagree with that. It may be one of the factors, but it is not the only factor.)

And please don't dismiss theories put forth by "manic depressives!" Some of the most brilliant people in the world have had Bipolar or Depression. Check out NAMI's lists. It's argued that Abraham Lincoln suffered from Bipolar Disorder. And having manic depression does not stop someone from being a brilliant mathematician.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    I think you've confused "big and scary" with "self-righteous and idiotic." ...said the Globe to the big, scary man, as he scurried back behind his anonymous picture and the safety of his home computer.
    See, now I know not to send Globe a friend request. He's expressed his feelings honestly. :happy:
  • opuntia
    Options
    What about mothers? I am certainly not experiencing any personal gain at the moment (1am) as I sit & comfort my sick child.

The idea behind parents is that their children carry their genes. So keeping your child safe and alive ensures that you will not die out - when you die, there will be someone to carry on your genetic material and have children of their own. So you're automatically protective of your own flesh and blood. It's an instinct. Selfishness isn't automatically a bad thing - people need to have an instinct to look after their own, because otherwise people would die out. Just like people have an instinct to look after themselves - if you see a truck hurtling towards you, you get out of the way quick. That is a good thing.

It's not as simplistic as the OP suggests. People act out of a variety of motives. People are often kind to people with no possible reward simply because they like to see themselves as a nice person, and they like to be doing something productive and positive. This can be seen as selfish, strictly speaking, but then you don't act outside of yourself. You are yourself, you act in accordance with your own values, your own sense of self - you can't easily separate your actions form this.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Sorry if someone already mentioned this, but I've been thinking: If being nice is an evolutionary advantage, our species has probably evolved not just to be nice but to genuinely enjoy being nice, just as we evolved to enjoy the act of procreation because it passes on those genes.

So not being nice is probably a recipe for being miserable. So most people should probably just enjoy both the feeling and benefits of being nice and don't worry about it.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Until they prove otherwise, yes.

That doesn't mean I'm gonna jump-up and whoop 'em. That just means I'm guarded until I understand their motivation.

Sometimes that happens within seconds... Sometimes that never happens at all.

I think that's a perfectly valid attitude, FWIW. And while I don't believe it is supported by the theory you described, I'm sure there are any number of other theories out there in support of it.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options
    I think you've confused "big and scary" with "self-righteous and idiotic." ...said the Globe to the pathetic impotent child, as he walked away feeling pity for the misguided kid who believes his perception is the right one.
    See, now I know not to send Globe a friend request. He's expressed his feelings honestly. :happy:

For the record, I'd gladly say it to your face. I find it amusing that you think your physical size is threatening to everyone.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I think you've confused "big and scary" with "self-righteous and idiotic." ...said the Globe to the big, scary man, as he scurried back behind his anonymous picture and the safety of his home computer.

Actually, he expressed his opinions and you changed what he said to try to make yet another 'I am big and scary' comment. Yes we get it, you are a lawyer, you do martial arts, you are big, you feel the need to equate yourself to a gorilla ad nausea. The scary bit, well, you are entitled to your self-aggrandizing opinions of yourself.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Sorry if someone already mentioned this, but I've been thinking: If being nice is an evolutionary advantage, our species has probably evolved not just to be nice but to genuinely enjoy being nice, just as we evolved to enjoy the act of procreation because it passes on those genes.

So not being nice is probably a recipe for being miserable. So most people should probably just enjoy both the feeling and benefits of being nice and don't worry about it.

Yeah it's been mentioned twice actually. Not that it shouldn't be mentioned again.

That's not how I interpret the theorem. Being nice is in our self interest, so feelings and rewards have developed to encourage that behavior. It's no accident that we "feel good" when we help other people. It's a build in reward which developed because getting along with others is in everyone's interest, including ours.

I think to look suspiciously on nice bahavior based on this theory is ascribing an ulterior motive to people that they really don't consciously have.

and
    I interpret this theorem the same way. It's genetically encoded into us to be nice to each other for the survival of ourselves and society as a whole. The way it is encoded is a built in reward system for being nice to others.

It's not normally a conscious thing. We do nice things- we feel good about ourselves or have more positive feelings as a whole. Most people don't see that as motive, precisely because they don't connect the dots on a conscious level. That's why most people on here assume that they don't have ulterior motives for being nice to people.

That being said, using this theory to justify mistrusting people is counterintuitive because you're assuming a level of conscious selfishness that most people being nice to you simply do not have.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options

Actually, he expressed his opinions and you changed what he said to try to make yet another 'I am big and scary' comment. Yes we get it, you are a lawyer, you do martial arts, you are big, you feel the need to equate yourself to a gorilla ad nausea. The scary bit, well, you are entitled to your self-aggrandizing opinions of yourself.

shhh. If you say too much it will be obvious that he's over-compensating for something.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    What about mothers? I am certainly not experiencing any personal gain at the moment (1am) as I sit & comfort my sick child.
    Really? I mean, really? As a parent, you are in no way "gaining" from nurturing your sick children?

Ok... stop for a second. I want you to think about what you said there. Take your emotion out of it. Take your empathy out of it. (I have 4 kids... I get it... but humor me for a second....)

Price's Evolution of Altruism mathematically proves that altruism is a component of evolutionary development. Which means if you are altruistic, you stand a better chance of surviving and continuing your genetic code.

If you nurse your children back to good health ....and they grow-up healthy ...and they have healthy, altruistic kids ...and those healthy kids grow-up and have healthy, altruistic kids.... thennnn....

Ohh... Oohhh.... I think.... I think the light is starting to flicker.... Stay with me..... You can do it...
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I think you've confused "big and scary" with "self-righteous and idiotic." ...said the Globe to the pathetic impotent child, as he walked away feeling pity for the misguided kid who believes his perception is the right one.

For the record, I'd gladly say it to your face. I find it amusing that you think your physical size is threatening to everyone.

I rarely crack a grin in these mindless forums. I did at the first (original, not modified) post in this quote and again at the follow up.

I do love the thought of the "big tough guy" philosophizing about how and why is is out there striking fear into everyone's hearts when really just looking like an a**.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I just read up on George R. Price, it was an interesting read. He sounds like a man who struggled mightily with his theory.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_R._Price#Conversion

I aspire to become a truly nice person, I think it is admirable to be generous of spirit with no intention of personal gain. I have met few people in life who are genuinely nice...one of them was my husband's grandmother on his dad's side. She passed away yesterday, and she was one of the kindest people I have ever met. She is one of the people who inspired me to become a positive thinker and choose to try and extend courtesy and genuine decency to everyone. This is something I often fail at miserably, but I'm trying.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Not if he consents she's not. There are a number of legal precedents for consenting to assault--professional boxing being the most obvious.
    I can promise you, there are no legal precedents in which someone "consents to assault." Mainly because the legal definition of "assault," is battery, or the threat of battery, without consent.

The "precedent" you're attempting to quote (badly by the way) is known as "assumption of risk." "Assumption of risk" is a tort defense which prohibits a plaintiff from recovery against a tortfeasor upon the defendant's demonstration that the plaintiff voluntarily and knowingly assumed the risk associated with a dangerous activity that subsequently caused damage or injury.

Again, none of this has anything to do with the discussion.

Just out of curiosity, why do you feel the need to argue with me and opine on topics you clearly do not understand?

I could easily ask the same of you with regard to your original post. However, you are correct, the law is not my area of expertise, so I won't bother continuing the argument. I would be curious to see an explanation of why, if battery is always illegal, professional boxers, MMA fighters, etc. aren't all arrested when they exit the ring.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    Thanks. Do I have your permission to continue? Moving forward, I'll email you my string topics in advance for your prior approval before I go off discussing things on the forum.

Please accept my apologies. How dare I do and say things as though I have the right to do and say things.
  • opuntia
    Options

shhh. If you say too much it will be obvious that he's over-compensating for something.

Lol - seriously, I do find that people who like to see themselves as big and scary are often trying to compensate for insecurity. And I guess this could be quite common among people on a site like this, because body-building is one obvious way for a person to build visible bulk and strength. Not, of course, that everyone does it for this reason, but it's likely to be the reason for a few. Wonder if we could apply Price's theorem to that too. We need a thread on the science behind people who lift weights too - I imagine there are a few interesting reasons for it.
This discussion has been closed.