The Science Behind "Nice" People

Options

Replies

• Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    You're only big because you're carrying about 40-50 lbs of extra body fat on you.
  • MonkRocker
    Options
    I often take life advice from people who kill themselves. It's science guys, cmon!

As stated many times before in this thread: correlation != causation.

Price's Equation can be applied to a LOT of genetic traits, not just "kindness" which I am skeptical of even being quantifiable enough to refer to as a "genetic trait."

And your assertion that Price killed himself because he found his own "proof" too depressing to live with is a pretty large distortion. From wikipedia (not the greatest source, I realize, but still):

Helping the homeless

Unable to accept the selfish reasoning for kindness found in his own mathematical theory of altruism[citation needed] Price began showing an ever increasing amount (in both quality and quantity) of random kindness to complete strangers. As such Price dedicated the latter part of his life to helping the homeless, often inviting homeless people to live in his house. Sometimes, when the people in his house became a distraction, he slept in his office at the Galton Laboratory. He also gave up everything to help alcoholics, yet as he helped them they stole his belongings causing him to fall into depression.[citation needed]
    He was eventually thrown out of his rented house due to a construction project in the area, which made him unhappy because he could no longer provide housing for the homeless. He moved to various squats in the North London area, and became depressed over Christmas, 1974.[citation needed]
    [edit]Death

Price committed suicide on January 6, 1975, using a pair of nail scissors to cut his own carotid artery. His body was identified by his close colleague Bill Hamilton.[11] Friends said he committed suicide because of despondency over his inability to continue helping the homeless.
    A memorial service was held for Price in Euston (not in a church). The only persons present from academia were Hamilton and Maynard Smith, the other few mourners being those who had come to know him through his community work. He is buried in an unmarked grave in St. Pancras' Cemetery.

Bolding mine.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what your argument is. Does my screen name validate your constant need to prove yourself, or is it easier just to deflect?
    You named your MFP account after the son of God, and the subsequent catalyst for one of the largest religions on the planet.

Yes. Clearly it is my ego that is misguided here.

You're just projecting your own opinions.
    A Jewish person reading his title will just think that the guy likes carpentry.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Plus, it's against the rules, and I always follow the rules. ;)

Interesting.
    Your first post made me laugh out loud.

The Price Equation is not a theory and it is a mathematical description only. The predictive quality that you are trying to induce out of it is arguably misplaced meaning. You are actually confusing it with Hamilton's work. His paper on Fisher's equation which is were the Price Equation is first presented does not even mention altruism but fitness.

BTW, he committed suicide not because he gave up on humanity or felt his work disproved anything but because he could no longer help the homeless and he had been dispossessed of his place. He was going through a depression.
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    I'm curious, on which world do you reside, exactly?
    A world where every single stranger I bump into is not a potential threat...
    That does sound like a nice world.

Unfortunately, the world I live in has Department of Justice statistics that show 1 out of 3 women will be sexually assaulted at some point in their life. The same statistic say that 8 out of every 10 Americans will be a victim of a crime before the age of 40.

But, lets not focus on the crime element... that's saddy-sad. Let's talk about happy things.

Like... our Society!!! Which of course, is the greatest free-market, capitalistic society ever! And it's based entirely on competition. And nothing says, "Hey, let me be completely open and honest with you" like competition, especially when that competition dictates whether or not you'll be able to feed your children.... Ok, so maybe not society... but...

Religion!!! There's never been anything deceptive or "covered up" when it comes to reli... ooooh wait...

Ok... how about Sports! Sports are just a way to have a good, innocent time... Woo hoo... I mean seriously, when was the last time a coach ever deceived anyone and committed a crime against a.... oooh... ok ... um...

Politicians! They... yeah, ok, no.

School!!... Now, it can never be said that a teacher, one of the most trusted and revered professions on the planet, would ever violate the trust of a.... well crap.

Screw it.

Can I come live in your world??
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, the world I live in has Department of Justice statistics that show 1 out of 3 women will be sexually assaulted at some point in their life. The same statistic say that 8 out of every 10 Americans will be a victim of a crime before the age of 40.

But, lets not focus on the crime element... that's saddy-sad. Let's talk about happy things.

Like... our Society!!! Which of course, is the greatest free-market, capitalistic society ever! And it's based entirely on competition. And nothing says, "Hey, let me be completely open and honest with you" like competition, especially when that competition dictates whether or not you'll be able to feed your children.... Ok, so maybe not society... but...

Religion!!! There's never been anything deceptive or "covered up" when it comes to reli... ooooh wait...

Ok... how about Sports! Sports are just a way to have a good, innocent time... Woo hoo... I mean seriously, when was the last time a coach ever deceived anyone and committed a crime against a.... oooh... ok ... um...

School!!... Now, it can never be said that a teacher, one of the most trusted and revered professions on the planet, would ever violate the trust of a.... well crap.

Screw it.

I get what you are saying here, but I thought we were talking about the psychology of 'niceness' not the nature of societal design. Individuals are widely known to act differently from those same individuals in groups. Also, things like sympathy and empathy are largely internal to the psyche, and cannot be observed. They can only be accessed by asking motives, and of course people can lie. But, sometimes, they can also tell the truth. Perhaps, you are beyond trusting that.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options

Screw it.

yaye fear mongering and over-inflated statistics.

Someone stole the welcome mat off my doorstep. Damn being a victim of crime is terrible. I best lock myself away and never interact with society. By your logic, no women should be allowed out alone because something bad might happen. Locking up potential victims is backwards logic. You rather punish the victim than try to change society to a place where there is less crime. Avoidance isn't a solution. It's a cop out. Trying to change yourself instead of the problem is a temporary measure that will always fail in the long run.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Wow, I would love to read more about this. I'm completely intrigued. Going in, I would not describe myself as mean and scary like you have. I feel like a portray myself as 'nice', but secretly my bull**** meter is cranked way up, at least on 17. I am very distrusting. I put on a nice face and sometimes regret it. Some people don't deserve that, based on their actions.
    On another note, I thought scientific theories could only be disproved, and they were allowed to hold until that point might come. Or do you call the theory proven mathematically? Since it is based on a human concept, but 'proved' with math? Reminds me of logic class in college!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I am often asked why I'm "big, mean and scary." More specifically, why do I come-off as "intimidating" and/or "indifferent about other people."

The short answer... I distrust everyone until they otherwise prove trustworthy (which for most, never happens).
    I would find that a very difficult way to live my life.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options

To be fair, the majority of these women are sexually assaulted by someone they know, not by a stranger. And being a victim of a crime has little to do with whether or not you see strangers as potential threats. Often the crime is vandalism or burglary, which generally isn't controlled by distrusting strangers.

And realistically, the majority of people meet thousands of people, and the vast majority of those people don't screw them over. If I am a victim of a crime (actually, I am, because some lads in my neighbourhood vandalised my fence) the person/people who committed the crime are a negligible percentage of the people I've met. The vast majority of people don't commit anti-social behaviour, in part because of the self-preserving reason that they don't want to go to jail!
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    I get what you are saying here, but I thought we were talking about the psychology of 'niceness' not the nature of societal design. Individuals are widely known to act differently from those same individuals in groups. Also, things like sympathy and empathy are largely internal to the psyche, and cannot be observed. They can only be accessed by asking motives, and of course people can lie. But, sometimes, they can also tell the truth. Perhaps, you are beyond trusting that.
    Actually, I've been talking about societal design from the very beginning. Literally.

The psychology of this thread as taken on a life of it's own. Freud would be proud. ;)

My favorite thus far was the guy a few posts up, whom I've never met nor engaged, that was clearly disturbed by my references to my physique; thus he decided to insult my physique, in the same discussion thread about "niceness," which morphed into a discussion about the psychology of strangers.

You can't make that stuff up. Hahaha.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    To be fair, the majority of these women are sexually assaulted by someone they know, not by a stranger.
    That is absolutely and completely true. Now... let's discuss "trustworthiness" ;)
    (Ok, I set you up for that one too. Sorry. Well, not you specifically, but I knew it was coming) :smile:
    And realistically, the majority of people meet thousands of people, and the vast majority of those people don't screw them over.
    YES! Keep going! Whyyyy don't a vast majority of people screw over other people???
    (I will bring this full circle if it kills me.)
  • missym357
    missym357 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Forgive me for sticking my opinion in here without reading the whole thread . The way I see it, everything can be explained by evolution. We exist in our present state because lots of things worked. So what? If I am kind to others even if it costs me in some other way then my ride through life is that much more enjoyable and hopefully more successful (which ultimately means I benefit). Selfish? If you think about it for long enough, well yes, it is ultimately selfish. Is that a bad thing? I don't think so.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options
    Actually, I've been talking about societal design from the very beginning. Literally.

The psychology of this thread as taken on a life of it's own. Freud would be proud. ;)

My favorite thus far was the guy a few posts up, whom I've never met nor engaged, that was clearly disturbed by my references to my physique; thus he decided to insult my physique, in the same discussion thread about "niceness," which morphed into a discussion about the psychology of strangers.

Just because you change your username, doesn't mean that people forget who you are.
  • _VoV
    Options

Yes, for sure I would say that comment is unkind (not 'nice'). I think people are angry with the cartoonish way you are approaching this subject.

You color society, yourself and others in broad strokes, and cite science intended to debase the motives underlying human kindness. I understand what you are saying, but might you concede that there are genuine acts of kindness whose primary motives are altruistic. I know you see the rough underbelly of society in the work that you do, which tends to make you see an otherwise 'nice' person differently than others of us who don't see Machiavellian horrors so up close and personal.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    The short answer... I distrust everyone until they otherwise prove trustworthy (which for most, never happens).

I'm curious - in what way do you distrust them? I mean, realistically, there are levels of trust.

I wouldn't leave my purse sitting around in a public place, because of course there are people out there who will happily steal it. And I imagine most people would say the same. I also don't leave my front door unlocked when I go out, because obviously potentially someone could break in. And most people are the same in this.

But when I casually meet someone, say at the bus stop, and they talk to me, I talk back - I'll smile and do small talk. This doesn't mean I'd entrust them with my life - I don't know them - but I'm happy to be friendly and pass the time of day with them. Potentially they could then be rude to me and hurt my feelings - but this is unlikely, as they'd have nothing to gain by this. And I'd have nothing to gain by being mean and scary, or ignoring them. It'd be pointless.

So I'm just curious what exactly you aren't trusting about, and in what way your distrust manifests. Most people are a little bit guarded with strangers (unless they have certain neurological disabilities - but then we teach people with such disabilities to be more cautious and not to automatically trust strangers, just as we teach children). But being a little guarded with strangers doesn't stop people being generally friendly and kind, if they are so inclined.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    yaye fear mongering and over-inflated statistics.

Someone stole the welcome mat off my doorstep. Damn being a victim of crime is terrible. I best lock myself away and never interact with society. By your logic, no women should be allowed out alone because something bad might happen. Locking up potential victims is backwards logic. You rather punish the victim than try to change society to a place where there is less crime. Avoidance isn't a solution. It's a cop out. Trying to change yourself instead of the problem is a temporary measure that will always fail in the long run.
    Actually, nothing you posted was referenced, nor had anything to do with anything that was posted, anywhere.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    Just because you change your username, doesn't mean that people forget who you are.
    Hmm. I thought I was plain and forgettable. Weird.
  • _VoV
    Options
    Hmm. I thought I was plain and forgettable. Weird.

I would say you have a hard time pulling your punches, Hudson.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options

I'm curious - in what way do you distrust them? I mean, realistically, there are levels of trust.
    I always question motivation. The word "trust" is too broad (someone mentioned that earlier).
This discussion has been closed.