The Science Behind "Nice" People

Options

Replies

• opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Well, technically, by definition, this 'computing slang' is about posting messages on online forums, so doesn't apply to real life court situations. People posting on a 'chit-chat, fun, and games' forum aren't on trial, and it's not your job to persuade a jury that they're guilty. Context is everything - things may be the accepted norm in one situation, but not in another. For instance, it's considered perfectly acceptable to strip naked in your bathroom before you get into your bath, but it's not considered acceptable to do so in the middle of the street before you step into a puddle.
    Yes. I know. I was making light of the "antagonistic" and "publication" aspects of your definition.

Lol - okay. Making a joke to evade the fact that the definition nailed you! :tongue:
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    Lol - okay. Making a joke to evade the fact that the definition nailed you! :tongue:
    Hahaha... C'mon... I opened the entire thread by disclosing that I'm mean and scary. Claiming I'm a "troll" is like poking a grizzly bear with stick, then wondering why he ate you... really? lolol
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    And speaking of "troll," have you seen the posts that some of these people put on my discussion thread?

One guy called me "fat," and the Blue Globe guy follows me from thread to thread, continuously explaining that he's disgusted by my posts, and that he's ignoring me. Constantly. And just to make sure I know he's ignoring my posts, he reminds me, that he's ignoring my posts.

Seriously? lolol
  • MIchelleH2027
    MIchelleH2027 Posts: 1,239 Member
    Options
    Someone needs a hug (and to touch some boobies and some bacon.)!!!
  • opuntia
    Options
    Hahaha... C'mon... I opened the entire thread by disclosing that I'm mean and scary. Claiming I'm a "troll" is like poking a grizzly bear with stick, then wondering why he ate you... really? lolol

Lol - I didn't call you a troll, and you didn't do anything that would equate to eating me! I don't actually care whether you're a troll or not - trolling doesn't bother me - but hey, I was curious as to your reasons for starting the thread, you told me, I pointed out that this is technically trolling, and you stated you had a different definition of trolling. So I naturally looked it up in the OED to check, and shared my findings with you!

And you didn't disclose that you're mean and scary - you said that's how other people describe you. Could be true. See, cuz I don't automatically distrust what people say! :tongue:
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty nice. Not to get ahead or serve any hidden agenda. I'm just a pretty nice gal. I care about people's feelings, using manners, and having social responsibility. I try to apply basic Golden Rule principles to everyday life and top that off with my Christian upbringing and being raised by a mama who instilled Southern charm in us at a young age. It isn't a hardship for me to treat people courteously and with respect. And I do the right thing whenever I can. I'm not perfect, but I'm not gonna let my shopping buggy roll and dent your car door and just walk away even if no one saw it. That being said, my sweetheart is even nicer than me. Nice enough I think people sometimes think they can walk all over him. He will eventually stand up for himself, in the nicest possible way. By that time I just wanna smack someone for taking advantage of his huge heart. I usually give people the benefit of the doubt but I don't let people mistreat me or others around me. It's possible to be nice without being a doormat. Most people I run into are pretty nice too. Maybe you're right...they probably have a selfish motive... I know what they're up to! They're trying to butter me up so they can be my friend! And I'm so polite I'll reciprocate. ;-)
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Gorilla, I'm going to beat YOU with a stick. :tongue:
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    And you didn't disclose that you're mean and scary - you said that's how other people describe you. Could be true. See, cuz I don't automatically distrust what people say! :tongue:
    Darth Gorilla says, "Your transition to the Dark Side is nearly compleeeete."
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    Gorilla, I'm going to beat YOU with a stick. :tongue:
    Again?

(She's my pimp)
  • opuntia
    Options
    And speaking of "troll," have you seen the posts that some of these people put on my discussion thread?

Of course - I stated earlier that you're definitely not the only one here to indulge in trolling! But you could be seen as the master troll of this thread, if you like, since you started it and all!
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    Of course - I stated earlier that you're definitely not the only one here to indulge in trolling! But you could be seen as the master troll of this thread, if you like, since you started it and all!
    We prefer the term "Alpha Male." Hahaha.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    Someone needs a hug (and to touch some boobies and some bacon.)!!!
    Technically, those are two of my favorite things.
  • opuntia
    Options

Nah, I'm quite enjoying the concept of random people approaching you and asking why you're big, mean and scary. I refuse to be disillusioned of that entertaining image!
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Context is everything - things may be the accepted norm in one situation, but not in another. For instance, it's considered perfectly acceptable to strip naked in your bathroom before you get into your bath, but it's not considered acceptable to do so in the middle of the street before you step into a puddle.
    Aaahhh! This would explain all the funny looks I get on rainy days...
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    Nah, I'm quite enjoying the concept of random people approaching you and asking why you're big, mean and scary. I refuse to be disillusioned of that entertaining image!
    Actually, they never "walk up and say it." Most of the time, it's after the fact. "When I first met you, I thought you were scary..." etc ... etc..

BUT... funny truism... kids and dogs LOVE me. No joke. Grownups ... terrified. Toddlers and dogs... I can't peel them off of me.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

I have lived many years with people thinking the following of me as though it's all one word: fatstupidandlazy. People sometimes judge based upon a single physical trait or constellation of them. Now that's grist for another possible thread here.

Edit: missing part of a phrase
  • CharityPearce
    Options
    I generally trust people who are nice to animals more than people who are nice to people.

If you're nice to another person, you might have a motive.

But the only thing you're going to "get" from being nice to a cat is fur on your clothes.

^^^Love it! However... the feeling I get when my kitty plops in my lap and purrs could be considered self-serving I suppose... lol
  • CharityPearce
    Options
    Actually, they never "walk up and say it." Most of the time, it's after the fact. "When I first met you, I thought you were scary..." etc ... etc..

BUT... funny truism... kids and dogs LOVE me. No joke. Grownups ... terrified. Toddlers and dogs... I can't peel them off of me.

And how do you feel about/treat them? And do you trust them? Just sayin...
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Gorilla, I'm going to beat YOU with a stick.
    Again?

(She's my pimp)

Yes, AGAIN, if you can't learn to behave and stop shaking your ant farm. You're just upsetting the poor lesser-minded creatures! Now go sit in the corner and think about what you did.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    The level of butt hurt in this thread is amazing for something that makes complete sense.
This discussion has been closed.