Job interview. If I do wear a skirt, do I wear pantyhose?

Options

Replies

• jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    People still wear pantyhose????

hahah I was thinking the same thing! lol

me too....
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I would say yes, since it's in a large Finance office. But the rules of etiquette for interviews are really based on the place you're interviewing. You should wear what makes you look professional but that you still feel comfortable in. An interviewer is more likely to notice you in a bad way if you are fidgeting in pantyhose than if you are not wearing them.
  • lizdavis07
    lizdavis07 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I actually have a job interview today for a county government job. I am not wearing pantyhose because I have great legs. Why would I hide them?? :flowerforyou:
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Let's hear for stockings and garters!!!! YEA!!!!!!!! And no panties!!

Ha ha Sharon Stone!!!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    No one has ever been offended by an applicant that comes to an interview over dressed. People are frequently offended by an applicant that comes to an interview under dressed. When in doubt always err on the side of more dressy. Pantyhose = yes. Bare legs = no.

^ this also.

Over-dressed is much safer than under-dressed for first interviews. Go in looking polished (nice handbag in good condition, nice shoes, nice but not gaudy jewelry, pressed clean outfit, etc.) and you'll get the interviewer's attention right up front.
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    This might be a matter of semantics, but is there a difference between tights and pantyhose? I live in the UK, and I always thought the two were synonymous, but seeing some of the reactions I'm wondering if there's actually a difference between them.

Also, I would totally wear tights with a skirt and suit jacket for an interview. The darker the tights the better, no one needs to see my tattoos until I'm working for them and they're stuck with me! :wink:
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    This might be a matter of semantics, but is there a difference between tights and pantyhose? I live in the UK, and I always thought the two were synonymous, but seeing some of the reactions I'm wondering if there's actually a difference between them.

Also, I would totally wear tights with a skirt and suit jacket for an interview. The darker the tights the better, no one needs to see my tattoos until I'm working for them and they're stuck with me! :wink:

Tights are much thicker and usually opaque or just barely see-through. Pantyhose are usually sheer and add some color and evenness to the legs.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    In some ways it depends on where you live what will be professional. Florida/California might actually seem very old school and not as appropriate as in the financial districts of Boston and New York. Personally, I think not wearing hose with business attire to an interview is inappropriate. I'm in a business casual office and in a skirt today which I wore hose today ( but that is more to do with pasty white legs even after being out in the sun this summer than a requirement)

If you are wearing skirt/blazer/suit then wear hose. Once in the office and you see the enviornment, you can adjust for the next interviews. Always dress your best and put foward a complete and professional appearnce from day one.

Hose is not for old ladies and royalty only. Personal opinion, we have gotten WAY to slack in our appearance and appropriateness in many environments.

I would disagree. I think that your appearance only plays a small role in your interview. If you are the right person for the job, you should be able to exude that through personality and your answers to the interview questions. If a woman is not used to wearing pantyhose and they make her itchy or uncomfortable, she will come across as unprofessional and intimidated by the position, both big no-nos in an interview.

I personally NEVER wear pantyhose. I am allergic to the material. That doesn't make me less professional. Not one bit. My professionalism exudes in the rest of my attire and through my personality. Besides the fact, pantyhose serve ZERO purpose except to add some color to your legs. If you have nice looking legs or are comfortable with yourself, there should be no need to wear them.

Pantyhose are also NOT about professionalism. They were created as a replacement for tights which were used to hide a woman's body because weren't supposed to show off any skin. It's an antiquated ritual that has nothing to do with professionalism and has everything to do with inappropriate control.

I suggest just not dressing like a slut.
  • happyjoyousfree1
    happyjoyousfree1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Simply put: You can never be over dressed or over educated.
    Dress conservatively for business/finance abd you'll never go wrong. First impressions are very important in the business world.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    So long as women are allowed to wear pants, then I would be fine with that policy. I refuse to work somewhere that puts me in "gender-assigned" clothing.

There is no company that would say that woman are not allowed to wear pants.

I wouldn't think so, but I never heard of one that required pantyhose either. These are probably the same type of companies that also want to examine your urine first. I don't work at those type of places.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    In some ways it depends on where you live what will be professional. Florida/California might actually seem very old school and not as appropriate as in the financial districts of Boston and New York. Personally, I think not wearing hose with business attire to an interview is inappropriate. I'm in a business casual office and in a skirt today which I wore hose today ( but that is more to do with pasty white legs even after being out in the sun this summer than a requirement)

If you are wearing skirt/blazer/suit then wear hose. Once in the office and you see the enviornment, you can adjust for the next interviews. Always dress your best and put foward a complete and professional appearnce from day one.

Hose is not for old ladies and royalty only. Personal opinion, we have gotten WAY to slack in our appearance and appropriateness in many environments.

I would disagree. I think that your appearance only plays a small role in your interview. If you are the right person for the job, you should be able to exude that through personality and your answers to the interview questions. If a woman is not used to wearing pantyhose and they make her itchy or uncomfortable, she will come across as unprofessional and intimidated by the position, both big no-nos in an interview.

I personally NEVER wear pantyhose. I am allergic to the material. That doesn't make me less professional. Not one bit. My professionalism exudes in the rest of my attire and through my personality. Besides the fact, pantyhose serve ZERO purpose except to add some color to your legs. If you have nice looking legs or are comfortable with yourself, there should be no need to wear them.

Pantyhose are also NOT about professionalism. They were created as a replacement for tights which were used to hide a woman's body because weren't supposed to show off any skin. It's an antiquated ritual that has nothing to do with professionalism and has everything to do with inappropriate control.

Professionalism is more about attitude than about dress style. The way you look is part of it, but the way you communicate is much more important.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

Actually, appearance is a very large part in whether you get a job offer or not.

Pantyhose cover the legs, just as pants do. It has nothing to do with "antiquated rituals". It has to do with professionalism. If men are allowed to wear shorts/skirts without covering their legs, then of course women should be permitted to do the same. However, if men are required to cover their legs, women should be held to the same standard.

And honestly, when you are going into an interview, it's not about you and your personal beliefs. It's about making the best possible impression on the interviewer. Why take the chance? Put on pantyhose.
  • sexikc
    sexikc Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I've been in corporate America (successfully) for 30 years and haven't owned a pair of pantyhose in 20. When I interview, I think women who wear hose are odd or uptight. Unless your skirt is too short, this should never be an issue... and even then, it's a skirt length issue, not a pantyhose issue. An absurd creation by men for men... nuts. If you're uncomfortable or unsure, wear black slacks.

SEE!! I told yall...especially the Ms "yeah um ok" lady Lol
  • Chapter3point6
    Options
    This thread could use this

300px-Sample_Pantyhose.jpg
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    yes, and a suit jacket or black cardigan. If you hate pantyhose or think that it'll make you look uptight (according to someone aparently - I think adding pantyhose makes women look way more professional), then don't wear the skirt!
  • TattedXMomXStace
    Options
    If you want that finance job. . . yes you do. . . .

if you want to not get it. . . then dont.

Dress to impress. . . .if its corporate america. . . you ALWAYS wear conservative business attire, if a skirt pantyhose, skirt not above the knee. . . button up blouse, no cleavage showing, nice shoes, hair done....

Ive been declined a job because of not wearing pantyhose. . they didnt think it was professional

did you know that pantyhose are considered pants with a skirt?? thats why they were made, to take the place of pants when your not wearing a full length pant leg. . . .
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    One last post -- I am SO GLAD that when I start looking for a new job, some of the people in this thread will be my competition. :laugh:

Or should I say, people like some of the people in this thread.
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I would disagree. I think that your appearance only plays a small role in your interview.
    How many interviews have you conducted? Or how many professional jobs have you interviewed for successfully?

This is hilarious. First you rant about "inappropriate control" and then you use the word "slut".
  • krissyliz78
    krissyliz78 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    One last post -- I am SO GLAD that when I start looking for a new job, some of the people in this thread will be my competition. :laugh:

Or should I say, people like some of the people in this thread.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :laugh:
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Nothing says corporate and power than a well fitted suit with dress pants...not a skirt. Wear a nice pant suit with a great blouse/shirt and and a long necklace, you can add low heels to it....

Something like this :
    http://womeninbusiness.about.com/od/businessattireforwomen/ig/Biz-Attire---The-Wow-Factor/The-Classic-Pant-Suit.htm