Job interview. If I do wear a skirt, do I wear pantyhose?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    You know what you are right. The policy should be that everyone men and women wear dresses with hose. Or if not that everyone men and women wear suits with jackets and ties.

I'm not wearing a tie or pantyhose, either one. Not gonna happen! :laugh: :tongue: (and, no you can't analyze my urine or tell me how to live my life outside of work) I'm just glad I don't work somewhere with old-fashioned policies.)

Our dress code at work pretty much makes everyone cover their genitalia and chests. The only things strictly forbidden is house slippers and shorts above the knee (nothing about skirts at all), which I don't wear anyway. (Why would anyone wear their house slippers to work anyway?) I work at a multi-national corporation that is always changing policies. Our industry sees constant regulatory changes, and management is always changing the rules. The major rules though are to show up on time and do your job! Put the customer first and you'll be forgiven indiscretions regarding policies.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I was about to say no then I saw it was for a finance office, so yes! They do dress very well in finance...
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    This is the 21st century. There is no reason that men should not be allowed to wear dresses, and no reason that they can't bare their legs. In fact, a man in my office used to wear a kilt from time to time, and YES, his legs were bare. I would hate to work in an office that was stuck in the 20th century in terms of dress code. Seriously. That is old-fashioned.

I've had jobs in the 21st century that required employees to have their feet covered at all times. If you wore a skirt or dress, your choices were pantyhose, knee-highs or socks. Obviously, you could choose socks, but would you?

This isn't as old-fashioned as it once was. I don't even see the big deal here. Why are people so angry about pantyhose? It's just fashion, FPS.

Is that doing food service or labor? I know those types of jobs have specific foot-wear requirements for safety reasons.

And for me, it isn't about anger. I'm just saying that you can't pay me enough to wear a pair of pantyhose. I tossed out all my "hosiery" that wasn't white or brown socks back at the end of the 20th century. There isn't enough money in the world to make me wear them again, especially on a daily basis.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    People still wear pantyhose????

Ditto

I think in offices with dress codes.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    This all seems ludicrous to me. Like someone mentioned before, perhaps it all has to do with where you live.

Curious, have any fellow Canadians ever had a job where you're required to wear pantyhose?
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options

Do you not see where I recommended she error on the side of caution and wear the pantyhose? Not sure why you feel the need to be so argumentative... Maybe your pantyhose are in a bunch. :laugh:
    [/quote]

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Probably so! I'm in Atlanta and we definitely don't wear pantyhose here. I work in a law firm and haven't seen a female attorney wear panty hose in i don't know how long! In the winter we do wear tights, but summer: Oh, hell no. I'd probably wear the hose for an interview though. After I went and figured out how to buy them again. :wink:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    This is the 21st century. There is no reason that men should not be allowed to wear dresses, and no reason that they can't bare their legs. In fact, a man in my office used to wear a kilt from time to time, and YES, his legs were bare. I would hate to work in an office that was stuck in the 20th century in terms of dress code. Seriously. That is old-fashioned.

I've had jobs in the 21st century that required employees to have their feet covered at all times. If you wore a skirt or dress, your choices were pantyhose, knee-highs or socks. Obviously, you could choose socks, but would you?

This isn't as old-fashioned as it once was. I don't even see the big deal here. Why are people so angry about pantyhose? It's just fashion, FPS.

Is that doing food service or labor? I know those types of jobs have specific foot-wear requirements for safety reasons.

And for me, it isn't about anger. I'm just saying that you can't pay me enough to wear a pair of pantyhose. I tossed out all my "hosiery" that wasn't white or brown socks back at the end of the 20th century. There isn't enough money in the world to make me wear them again, especially on a daily basis.

It was in a doctor's office before they started letting people wear scrubs. We wore professional or at least office casual and could wear heels and such, but were required to have some sort of socks on our feet at all times. It was just the dress code.

After I left there, they started letting everyone wear scrubs.

I'm not saying that I'm not glad I don't have to wear them anymore. especially in summer. But they aren't necessarily old-fashioned, they're comfortable if they fit right and with the right outfit, they can look better than tights, which don't go with everything. I'm in north Florida and the lows sometimes are in the teens in the winter with highs maybe in the 30s or 40s some days. If I want to wear a skirt or dress, I usually wear pantyhose on those days or I'd freeze. There's nothing wrong with them. And in an interview, I think it's best to err on the side of caution and overdress, which means wear the hose with a skirt or dress.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    stockings - they won't know but if you feel sexy, you'll feel confident ;)
  • IamBlackMamba
    Options
    Finance interview, large office.

In additon to a suit, button down, conservative purse, low heels and fresh paper copies of your resume on resume weight paper.
  • matroma
    Options
    Yes, absolutely. Even if you have nice legs, you need to. A cocktail party? No. Interview? Yes indeed.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

It was in a doctor's office before they started letting people wear scrubs. We wore professional or at least office casual and could wear heels and such, but were required to have some sort of socks on our feet at all times. It was just the dress code.

After I left there, they started letting everyone wear scrubs.

I'm not saying that I'm not glad I don't have to wear them anymore. especially in summer. But they aren't necessarily old-fashioned, they're comfortable if they fit right and with the right outfit, they can look better than tights, which don't go with everything. I'm in north Florida and the lows sometimes are in the teens in the winter with highs maybe in the 30s or 40s some days. If I want to wear a skirt or dress, I usually wear pantyhose on those days or I'd freeze. There's nothing wrong with them. And in an interview, I think it's best to err on the side of caution and overdress, which means wear the hose with a skirt or dress.

well I can't imagine "wanting" to wear a dress or skirt either! :tongue: I was forced to wear them to church as a kid, and to chapel at school on Fridays. (I went to a private, Christian school) I have always hated dresses and dress shoes. I also like to work for employers who are more concerned with your performance than with your attire. :smile:
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    This thread is still going?! FFS
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I haven't worn pantyhose in years and refuse to do so. I hate them. But then... I gave up working for others 3 years ago and work from home, self-employed. So... I guess I'm probably not the one you should listen to if you're going for a job in corporate finance.

If you must wear them, I'd go for old fashioned stockings with garters or something... at least your crotch can breathe that way.
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    This thread is still going?! FFS

Guess people love to talk about stockings...
  • kobashi
    kobashi Posts: 164
    Options
    Finance interview, large office.

Okay so here is the joke. On my phone, this appeared as "Job interview, If I do wear a skirt, do I wear panty." I immediately assumed the worst and was going to reply with something like "Not if I am interviewing you!"

But, since we are being serious, I would say the more professional you dress, the better. I work in Finance and do tons of interviews in a year and your attire means a lot. I like to see someone who takes dresses adult and appears to be smart in their choices.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    If you want that finance job. . . yes you do. . . .

if you want to not get it. . . then dont.

are you for real? where do you people live that you would not be considered for a job for not wearing pantyhose? :laugh:

In America...

ALWAYS overdress for the interview. Especially in this economy, you cannot take any chances. My son just received his first job offer. He graduated from college in May with a BS in Engineering and had to submit over 600 applications before receiving this offer. He probably only had 15 interviews out of those 600+ applications. That's just over a 3% return. The pool is large, and FULL of fish. Most of those fish are just as qualified as you. Any advantage helps. :)
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    If you want that finance job. . . yes you do. . . .

if you want to not get it. . . then dont.

are you for real? where do you people live that you would not be considered for a job for not wearing pantyhose? :laugh:

In America...

ALWAYS overdress for the interview. Especially in this economy, you cannot take any chances. My son just received his first job offer. He graduated from college in May with a BS in Engineering and had to submit over 600 applications before receiving this offer. He probably only had 15 interviews out of those 600+ applications. That's just over a 3% return. The pool is large, and FULL of fish. Most of those fish are just as qualified as you. Any advantage helps. :)

This.

It's an employer's market not an applicant's. Employers don't care if you don't like dressing professionally or if you hate pantyhose. If you're applying for a job, and they don't find your attire appropriate, you're gone before you even open your mouth. Someone else will gladly dress well and present themselves well.
  • akoivisto
    akoivisto Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    "This is the 21st century."

And people have the freedom - No! The RIGHT, to go to work in a full winter parka, while sporting a thong with waterwings and scuba mask to accessorize! Even if they are attending an office board meaning, with the corporate CEO in attendance, this should not reflect poorly what-so-ever to the potential investors!!

*stands on his soap box and takes off his tie then lights it on fire throwing it on the ground*

Down with professionalism!!

Kekekeke.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    well I can't imagine "wanting" to wear a dress or skirt either! :tongue: I was forced to wear them to church as a kid, and to chapel at school on Fridays. (I went to a private, Christian school) I have always hated dresses and dress shoes. I also like to work for employers who are more concerned with your performance than with your attire. :smile:

If you're working with the public (customers who pay your salary, basically), it's like a job interview every day. Attire matters. If you work for a pool company, obviously you can be more casual and still considered professional. It's all about context.

I don't really see anyone outside of my workplace, so I can get away with more casual clothes. I wear sundresses all summer, though I have to throw a sweater or something over the sleeveless or spaghetti strapped ones. I would, anyway, since it's FREEZING in here! lol But there are people here who have to deal with the governor and attend legislative sessions, so when they do those things, they must dress more professional. I don't know if the women wear pantyhose to those kinds of things, though.

Either way, I wouldn't attend a job interview in a skirt or dress without pantyhose or at least flattering tights, even in Florida.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

If you're working with the public (customers who pay your salary, basically), it's like a job interview every day. Attire matters. If you work for a pool company, obviously you can be more casual and still considered professional. It's all about context.

I don't really see anyone outside of my workplace, so I can get away with more casual clothes. I wear sundresses all summer, though I have to throw a sweater or something over the sleeveless or spaghetti strapped ones. I would, anyway, since it's FREEZING in here! lol But there are people here who have to deal with the governor and attend legislative sessions, so when they do those things, they must dress more professional. I don't know if the women wear pantyhose to those kinds of things, though.

Either way, I wouldn't attend a job interview in a skirt or dress without pantyhose or at least flattering tights, even in Florida.

I quit working directly with the public at the tail end of the 20th century. Dress codes were part of the reason why. I like being in my cozy office, only dealing with people over the phone or through email. I get to wear what I want. There are a few people who think our dress code is too restrictive, but it's perfect for me. Our office is always cold too. I have my Winnie the Pooh jacket to warm me, and the sun shining through the window helps some, on sunny days.

When I go to job interviews, I wear slacks. On my feet, I wear socks, either brown or black, depending on the outfit.