Job interview. If I do wear a skirt, do I wear pantyhose?

Options

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Go naked with nipple tassels.

^This

And take pictures to share on here!
  • jmb6739
    jmb6739 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Speaking as a recruiter, for the first interview in that environment yes. After that, for any follow up interviews, take the lead of what you see when you are there. Always wear a suit first, unless you are specifically told something else. (Just my advice)
  • sexikc
    sexikc Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    People still wear pantyhose????

Exactly! Yes for the skirt ordress and blazer but pantyhose are ole school. You don't have to wear them to be professional anymore.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

Exactly! Yes for the skirt ordress and blazer but pantyhose are ole school. You don't have to wear them to be professional anymore.

If your legs have imperfections in them, I would wear something over your legs.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Um yeah ok.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    yes for sure
  • firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Both.

Add: And a white blouse under a blazer/jacket that matches the skirt if possible.

This! You can never be over dressed!
  • andivaclavicek
    Options

My thoughts exactly.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Speaking as a recruiter, for the first interview in that environment yes. After that, for any follow up interviews, take the lead of what you see when you are there. Always wear a suit first, unless you are specifically told something else. (Just my advice)

THIS!

For my current job (I am a tax accountant in the private sector), I wore a dress suit (with pantyhose and CLOSE-TOED shoes!) to both of my interviews. On a day to day basis however we are business casual. I wear dresses with sandals sometimes in the summer without pantyhose, but wouldn't have dreamed of showing up to an interview that way.
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I've been in corporate America (successfully) for 30 years and haven't owned a pair of pantyhose in 20. When I interview, I think women who wear hose are odd or uptight. Unless your skirt is too short, this should never be an issue... and even then, it's a skirt length issue, not a pantyhose issue. An absurd creation by men for men... nuts. If you're uncomfortable or unsure, wear black slacks.
  • chrisa8170
    chrisa8170 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Jst remember, although they will be looking at your interview performance, the initial impression you give within the first 30 seconds of walking in has a big influence, look smart and professional will also help you get in to the mind set and hopefully you will be able to give your best performance, good luck with it,
  • Squeeks70
    Squeeks70 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    As an HR Manager I would advise, yes, wear hose if you are wearing a skirt. First impressionsgo a long way in an interview. If you get the job and you find that the office is a little relaxed and the women don't wear hose....go with the flow!
  • andivaclavicek
    Options

When they work in corporate America they do..

Hmmm. I work in corporate America. In finance. And don't wear pantyhose.

To answer the OP, if you're questioning if you should or not, error on the side of caution and wear them to the interview. But, if you get the job, you may find that you don't need to on a day to day basis.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

To answer the OP, if you're questioning if you should or not, error on the side of caution and wear them to the interview. But, if you get the job, you may find that you don't need to on a day to day basis.

Here in the financial district of NYC they do.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, for the interview. I play it a bit fast and loose in the summers but once fall hits, the hose are back on (or tights) if I wear a skirt. :)
  • plagirl227
    Options

Yes... you do.....

Not saying that not wearing pantyhose is unprofessional, per se, but it adds polish to dress. Same goes for a man wearing a tie.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    No one has ever been offended by an applicant that comes to an interview over dressed. People are frequently offended by an applicant that comes to an interview under dressed. When in doubt always err on the side of more dressy. Pantyhose = yes. Bare legs = no.
  • andivaclavicek
    Options

Here in the financial district of NYC they do.

Well, as I said, it's something she'll have to judge by the feel of the office. I'm in the DC/Metro area, work for a huge corporation, and most of the women in my office don't wear pantyhose.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

LOL

For an interview, if you can, scope out the office ahead of time. What are the people working there wearing? Then go one step better. If you cannot scope the joint, err on the conservative side always and go for hose, low heel shoes, minimal jewelry, no perfume. Don't smoke, pop a breath mint, and good luck!
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I would, but that's because my legs are ghost white and have scars. But to tell the truth, even if I had gorgeous legs, I probably would anyway. You could simply play it safe and wear dark slacks with some pretty trouser socks. That's what I did. I wore a black blazer, white button blouse, pink pearls, black slacks, pretty black trouser socks and black flats. The pink pearls added that splash of color.

Good luck!!!! :flowerforyou: :smile: