Job interview. If I do wear a skirt, do I wear pantyhose?

Options

Replies

• fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    YES.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    People still wear pantyhose????

When they work in corporate America they do..

Hmmm. I work in corporate America. In finance. And don't wear pantyhose.

To answer the OP, if you're questioning if you should or not, error on the side of caution and wear them to the interview. But, if you get the job, you may find that you don't need to on a day to day basis.

Here in the financial district of NYC they do.

Well, as I said, it's something she'll have to judge by the feel of the office. I'm in the DC/Metro area, work for a huge corporation, and most of the women in my office don't wear pantyhose.

Did they also interview without pantyhose? Probably not.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • cmpollard01
    Options
    for an interview of that nature, yes. i'd also suggest a red shirt instead of white-it conveys power and confidence.
  • leeshac13
    leeshac13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes please wear pantyhose!!! you always want to put your best foot forward in an interview. I work for an organization that requries hose with skirts or dresses.
  • jesshall281
    Options
    I would say pantyhose, but have a look here, some great work outfits http://www.laurenconrad.com/post/style-guide-the-perfect-interview-outfit

(I dont work in corporate america or finance, so I'm not sure how they are dressed)

In my opinion, adding a little colour brightens up the office, everyone will be wearing black and white! play it up a bit :flowerforyou:
  • Nikachelle
    Nikachelle Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You guys are mental. Or possibly from the stone age. I work in a large corporate office (at the headquarter location no less) for a national bank. I have never worn pantyhose here, let alone for my interview.
  • TinyLittleOne
    Options
    Always.
  • andivaclavicek
    Options

When they work in corporate America they do..

Hmmm. I work in corporate America. In finance. And don't wear pantyhose.

To answer the OP, if you're questioning if you should or not, error on the side of caution and wear them to the interview. But, if you get the job, you may find that you don't need to on a day to day basis.

Here in the financial district of NYC they do.

Well, as I said, it's something she'll have to judge by the feel of the office. I'm in the DC/Metro area, work for a huge corporation, and most of the women in my office don't wear pantyhose.

Did they also interview without pantyhose? Probably not.

Do you not see where I recommended she error on the side of caution and wear the pantyhose? Not sure why you feel the need to be so argumentative... Maybe your pantyhose are in a bunch. :laugh:
  • charanne52
    charanne52 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You definitely should - that type of company tends to be a bit conservative and probably wouldn't appreciate your bare legs.
  • np11073
    Options
    I am a guy and I enjoy seeing a lady who is dressed very nicely. Nothing says professional better than a dress or skirt and YES pantyhose. And not dark ones. Neutral color pantyhose give the legs a nice shimmer. Good luck on your interview.
  • nessagrace22
    nessagrace22 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    No one has ever been offended by an applicant that comes to an interview over dressed. People are frequently offended by an applicant that comes to an interview under dressed. When in doubt always err on the side of more dressy. Pantyhose = yes. Bare legs = no.

Totaly agree. Interview situation and everyday office attire....totally different. You only get one chance to make a first impression.

Good luck
  • rml_16
    Options

Exactly! Yes for the skirt ordress and blazer but pantyhose are ole school. You don't have to wear them to be professional anymore.

Um yeah ok.

It's been more than 10 years since I had a job that required pantyhose (thank goodness!), but what I wear to work most days is far more casual than I would ever even consider wearing to an interview. Pantyhose are a must. If your skirt is longer, you can get away with knee-highs and take them off when you get back in your car.

And, to the person asking if people in general still wear them -- if it's cold enough and i want to wear a skirt or dress to work, absolutely. But not in the Florida summers. Ick.
  • blackmantis
    blackmantis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I prefer no pantyhose and no panties either... J/K :-)
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options

my thoughts exactly.
  • Nikachelle
    Nikachelle Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Neutral color pantyhose give the legs a nice shimmer.
    She could throw glitter/shimmer powder on her legs and get the exact same effect.
  • Chapter3point6
    Options
    :huh: How are you supposed to wear pantyhose and flip flops at the same time? Or do they make pantyhose now with the big toe separate?
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    LOL -- If I were interviewing someone and she crossed her legs and I saw knee highs, the interview would be over due to poor judgment! ;c)
  • rml_16
    Options
    LOL -- If I were interviewing someone and she crossed her legs and I saw knee highs, the interview would be over due to poor judgment! ;c)

If the skirt reaches her ankles, you won't see them. Obviously, you wouldn't wear them with a skirt that allowed them to be seen.
  • MCproptart
    MCproptart Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Where do you live? In Phoenix, I don't know that I ever see anyone in panty hose unless it is winter. Open toe or peep toe shoes with a killer pedicure and smooth heels, though, that's de rigueur. However, when I lived back East , it was closed toe shoes with panty hose, no matter what the temperature outside.

More important is your confidence and how you carry yourself. If you have no panty hose and stride in, give the guy firm handshake, make eye contact, and know your stuff, no one will know or care if you're wearing panty hose. If you are fidgety and uncomfortable because this is the first time you've worn panty hose in forever, then your confidence won't be as evident and "you" won't really shine through.

Good luck!