Job interview. If I do wear a skirt, do I wear pantyhose?

Options

Replies

• melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Wear the hose, the Duchess has made them more popular than ever in fashion never mind interviews for a finance office. Plus, you can look like you still have a nice summer tan with zero effort (except for pulling them up! lol)
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should!
  • Angie_Fritts
    Angie_Fritts Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Yes wear pantyhose with a skirt. And make sure your shoes are closed toe. Good Luck!!!!
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    People still wear pantyhose????

Exactly my thoughts! I work in a conservative office but I NEVER wear pantyhose. The word alone gives me the shivers. I'll wear tights (colored or black or patterned) in the winter so my legs don't freeze, but I think pantyhose are totally gross. Perhaps I need to rethink my position on them though since it seems that the overwhelming consensus in this thread is that they should be worn. *shrugs*
  • JOEYJACKMOM
    Options
    Yes, always wear hose to an interview. Wear only light/flesh toned hose, dark hose are for night or business casual only.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Yes!! Right or wrong when you are going for an interview you don't want to give anyone reason not to hire you. Even though it may sound silly and ridiculous if you and another candidate are equally qualified and both speak/interview well what else do they have to go on but the way your presented yourself. For the most sophisticated polished look wear the pantyhose. If you get the job you'll know if the other women wear pantyhouse quick enough. I now live in Florida but I wore pantyhose whenever I wore a skirt or dress from beginning of fall to end of spring (depending on the type of office dress code you may get away with not wearing hose during the summer). Now that I live in Florida practically no one wears hose unless there is a big official meeting going on or you are interviewing.
  • Destinie589
    Options
    I work in a large upscale law firm and most of the women do not wear pantyhose. But maybe finance is a whole different story.
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options

Exactly my thoughts! I work in a conservative office but I NEVER wear pantyhose. The word alone gives me the shivers. I'll wear tights (colored or black or patterned) in the winter so my legs don't freeze, but I think pantyhose are totally gross. Perhaps I need to rethink my position on them though since it seems that the overwhelming consensus in this thread is that they should be worn. *shrugs*

Errr.. I thought pantyhose were tights?
    What are they then?!
  • mattmoo33
    Options
    I work in corporate finance and it largely depends on what department you would be working in, but in the main I would say yes err on the side of caution and wear the tights unless you would feel uncomfortable and fidget then I would go with trousers.

Having been the interviewer on numerous occasions - it is something that you notice!

Someone once told me to go to an interview wearing an outfit suitable to the role above the one you are applying for. It has worked for me!
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options

I know right? They are so uncomfortable. >.<
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    This is why I will wear pants to my interview today. If you chose a skirt than pantyhose are a must even if it's just for the interview and never again.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Is there a difference between tights and pantyhose?

Here in Ireland it is RARELY warm enough to go bare legged - but even on sunny days I'd feel under-dressed in the office if I had bare legs (plus I'm over 50, dont always shave my legs, and they usually have a bruise or 2 from my dogs' waggly tails, so trust me, they're better being covered!)

Occasionally I might, with a longish skirt, well below the knee. But I always have the problem of what shoes to wear with bare legs/ feet that dont result in blisters?

Today I'm wearing red tights, with a knee length red dress, and green high heeled brogues.

And I'm a senior accountant.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Errr.. I thought pantyhose were tights?
    What are they then?!

Tights tend to be a little thicker and more opaque. It's a subtle difference, but there is a difference.

And if your pantyhose are uncomfortable, you're wearing the wrong size.

And to reiterate: Even if you wouldn't wear pantyhose once you GOT the job, you don't HAVE the job yet. The dress code for the office is not the dress code for the interview. Dress to impress. Always.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Hell yes. Skirt not too short (i.e. max 2 inches above the knee), natural tights (not sheer black or fishnet or patterned or coloured that's for evenings/weekends), top should be white / pink/ pale blue and not sleeveless and ideally a jacket to match the skirt.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options

This.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options

I think the overwhelming consensus is to cover the leg skin in whatever way necessary. I'd wear tights over pantyhose anyday, and I'd wear pants instead of pantyhose were required. I'd get a run in them before I even got to work... they're useless.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    good old wikipedia:

In American English, the difference between pantyhose and tights is determined in the weight of the yarn used and the thickness to which the garment is knitted. Generally, anything up to 40 denier is known as pantyhose and anything over can be classified as tights, as for example 'running tights' and 'cycling tights'. In the United Kingdom, the word "tights" is used in all cases when referring to pantyhose, and "leggings" for hosiery of heavier, normally opaque material. Tights can be sheer yet solid in colour, whereas leggings are opaque, not sheer.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options

When they work in corporate America they do..

I work in Corporate America and have worked for various Fortune 100 companies. I agree that to an interview you probably want to wear a pantyhose if wearing as skirt suit. On a daily basis, I don't wear them and I don't see people wearing them as much any more. I have been working in Finance for about 10 - 11 years now so I know what I am talking about.
    I wear pantyhose if giving presentations to upper management or to present at Offsites.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I know right? They are so uncomfortable. >.<

Agreed that pantyhose suck, and you may not have to wear them once you get the job, but you need to wear them to the interview.
  • mcjmommy
    mcjmommy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    If you wear a skirt, wear pantyhose. My husband hires for the bank he works at and it is their dresscode.
    I hate wearing pantyhose, so I would wear a suit that has pants to get around them.
    Good Luck!