I am so done with this program!!

Options

Replies

• Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone noticed but Dlmowrey stated in her profile "..had my thyroid removed 7 years ago".
    As "the thyroid gland produces hormones that balance all body functions, including your metabolism" this has gotta be a factor in her weight loss programme.
    If I were in this situation I would be consulting a dietician or some other professional.
    Well intentioned as the MFP community is, it may be counter-productive or even dangerous to tell someone without a thyroid gland, "your not eating enough"....

Considering this important bit of information was NOT there when the thread was started it would be hard for us to notice it. Not sure when it was added but when I looked and made my reply in the first pages the profile was empty.

When you go and ask people for 'help' then it is in your best interest to actually give people details. This - if it's even true - would have been a good detail to know!
  • Anon4678
    Options
    you shouldn't skip any meals! it just makes things worse.

why?

They meant that you shouldn't skip DURING any meals. A hamburger or piece of fruit is fine but soup goes everywhere!

I legit had soda come out of my nose. First, ow. Second, *wild applause* :drinker:
  • debs6
    debs6 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't work then clearly I am delusional as I imagined that I have lost 97lbs- Yikes!!!
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    dlmowrey, I hope you are at least still reading this thread. I saw another post of yours where you said that your thyroid was removed 7 years ago. Have you been to the doctor recently to see if your thyroid medication is keeping you at a level you need to be at?
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone noticed but Dlmowrey stated in her profile "..had my thyroid removed 7 years ago".
    As "the thyroid gland produces hormones that balance all body functions, including your metabolism" this has gotta be a factor in her weight loss programme.
    If I were in this situation I would be consulting a dietician or some other professional.
    Well intentioned as the MFP community is, it may be counter-productive or even dangerous to tell someone without a thyroid gland, "your not eating enough"....

EXACTLY!
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    It really gets me how the clean eating people jump down peoples throats for eating hot dogs! OP isn't even getting to calorie target and yet still getting grief for what they are eating. Some people don't jump into the healthy, clean-eating, maniac exercising straight away, I've been here nearly a year and I'm still not there. Hopefully I never will be, it seems to turn people mean!
    OP: Try to get to your calorie limit every day, maybe add some fresh fruit and vegetables in where you can. If your diary is set at sedentary you can log any major movement as exercise. Give it a couple of weeks. I would also suggest tracking your sodium and trying to stay below 1800mg a day and drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day. I attribute most of my weight loss to these 2 factors. Good luck :flowerforyou:

Completely agree with the above poster. By enlarge people on here are selfless and supportive, and offer useful information when others are struggling. However, there are more than a few narcissistic body Nazis eager to gloat and cast scorn on anyone not following their strict regimes. Kudos to anyone who gets a ripped body, especially if they've shifted a lot of weight to get there. But a fit body and a poisonous personality is still an unattractive package - bear that in mind.

Beautifully said!!! :)
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Um... MFP is not a program. It's a tool for tracking...
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have followed this program to the letter for a month now, and thanks to MFP, I am now at the highest weight I have ever been. It doesn't work!!!!

You're clearly doing it wrong.

Clearly.
  • juicy_cat
    juicy_cat Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    and the thread roles on.....
  • emaildianeb
    emaildianeb Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the posts so ignore if this already hasn't been stated...

you recently posted on someone elses thread that you have no thyroid. Is your doctor aware that you have had difficulty losing weight?

I agree with the other posters, you need to eat your calories every day, drink your water, do some exercise. Make sure you aren't guessing on portion size. Measure it out for awhile...you may be surprised.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Um... MFP is not a program. It's a tool for tracking...

So true, there are some who appear to think that signing up for MFP makes you lose weight. Sorry, but you have to also change your lifestyle.
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    How about dropping the sarcasm, and either say something supportive to someone who clearly needs a couple of nice words or else dont say anything at all

Easy to be rude to ppl when your sitting behind your computer isn't it?

^^Agreed^^ I think the OP just needed to know that it is possible. We all were new once, and we all thought we were doing the right stuff, but maybe we just needed for those who had more experience to TEACH us what we needed to know, not berate and belittle... When we do that, we cause the person to immediately go to the defensive side and we all need to take a step back and HELP where we can... You can say the same things but with a different tone.
  • winterdancer
    Options
    its worked for me I started at 220 pounds and am at 182 pounds. it has to do with how much you work out? how many calories you eat? are you eating healthy? foods that are high in fat, carbs, etc? how disciplined you are in your eating/ weight loss journey.
  • jennifermaffei17
    Options
    Food diary isnt open to me :-(
  • thelaurameister
    thelaurameister Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I cannot see your diary...I'm guessing you've made it private again? Based off what people are saying, I just have a little encouragement to provide.

A lot of people are mentioning that you're "not eating enough". You certainly don't want to stuff yourself if you're full, but it really is true that starvation mode exists. Some people mentioned that you sometimes eat under 1,000 calories a day, which really isn't good and will likely make you gain weight. Especially if you're eating 1,000 calories in hot dogs/chicken wings. I'm not one of those clean eaters that will tell you not to indulge in a hot dog, I eat those types of foods all the dang time, but it's also good to educate yourself and know that calories come from different sources (carbs, protein, fats) and your body will react differently to each source. A meal that is 1,000 calories worth of chicken wings is going to make your body respond 10x differently than 1,000 calories worth of fruits, vegetables, lean meats, etc. Counting calories is a step in the right direction for living a healthier lifestyle, and I commend you for that! But now that you're in the habit of tracking your food and counting calories, I recommend paying attention to other macros (fat, carbs, protein, fiber). MFP does a pretty good job at providing the ideal amount for you to follow. From personal experience, I lost 10 pounds right off the bat when I started MFP, but then I plateaued and starting slowly gaining. I didn't know why. I was frustrated, much like your are now. It took a lot of trial and error for me to find out that my body ideally needs high protein, low fat, and low carb to lose weight at a decent rate. Don't give up!

I recommend figuring out your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate...which is basically how many calories you burn in a day just by living, breathing, etc.). It might help give you a better understanding of how your body works. Weight loss is all about calories in vs. calories burned, but if your body doesn't have adequate nutrition and calories that can be used for energy, your body will think it's starving and hold on to every last bite of food you ingest. Making sure you're getting plenty of nourishment makes the body relax and say "Hey, I'm just gonna get more awesome food in like 4 hours, no need to keep that food around". Last, do you track your sodium and sugar? Each person's body is different, but I blow up like a balloon if I have too much sugar or sodium. Most of the time it's just water weight, but water weight still makes you feel gross and bloated.

I hope that helps. I had a really hard time understanding that for a long time, so I hope I wrote that in a way that makes sense to you! Good luck, and don't give up!:flowerforyou:
  • juicy_cat
    juicy_cat Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    and the thread roles on.....

rolls on dammit!!!
  • terrabit
    terrabit Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am down 90+ lbs. What are you doing wrong?
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    LOL at everyone still posting advice in this thread.

It's 7 pages long and it became clear after page 1 the OP isn't taking on board any thing people have to say.

But, but, but....we like to hear ourselves talk!!! :smokin:

:yawn: 8 pages now....:yawn:
  • Melbot1000
    Melbot1000 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks to those of you who posted postive thoughts, and to those who didn't, BITE ME! You obvouisly don't understand what it's like. I have friended many people through this thread, and they will now be my support! The rest of you should be much more considerate! Rudeness isn't going to get you far in life. Since this my last community post, my thanks to some, the rest can KMA!!

No thanks, I'm going to stick to chewing on clean foods. I don't think I'd like the taste of desperation and chicken wings.

Good luck on your journey!
  • thelaurameister
    thelaurameister Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    LOL at everyone still posting advice in this thread.

It's 7 pages long and it became clear after page 1 the OP isn't taking on board any thing people have to say.

But, but, but....we like to hear ourselves talk!!! :smokin:

:yawn: 8 pages now....:yawn:

Sometimes, I feel like I don't know "proper etiquette" for forums...But I have to ask...Why are you guys being so negative towards people just trying to help out? Isn't that what MFP is all about? Providing a nonjudgmental, supportive community to help each other through weight loss journeys? Maybe the OP hasn't replied to the forum, but you don't know that they're not reading it, plus there's plenty of people who browse forums and might come across some valuable information. Browsing these forums is one of the biggest tools I've used in learning to eat right. With the things people have been saying, I don't blame her for not replying! I've read a few (not all are like this, but there's a decent amount) who say things along the lines of "well if you eat junk, of course you're not going to lose weight". This is a true statement, yes, but can you imagine how embarrassed she must feel? It's basically screaming "You're dumb, you can't eat hot dogs, your wrong in EVERYTHING that you're doing". She obviously thinks that she's eating the right things if she believes she's "doing everything right down to the letter". Ever thought maybe they don't know any other way of eating? I used to eat fast food ALL the time, 2 times a day sometimes, and I honestly didn't believe that it was THAT bad for me. Through MFP and general research, I learned how to choose healthier foods, and I learned how truly unhealthy my prior habits used to be. I wasn't born knowing that information though. I learned through support and questions, and I know if I had people react the way people react on here, I would feel even worse about myself than I already did.

I guess I just find it a shame that so many people are ready to jump down somebody's throat for not eating healthy enough, instead of providing constructive criticism that will actually teach them WHAT they're doing wrong and WHY. That's what made me love MFP so much, the community helped me learn right from wrong.

I'll get off my soap box now...lol