Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred--Beginners

Options
1192021222325»

Replies

• TaysMum
    Options
    Lisa, Those side lunges + weights kill my arms so bad! They're so hard!! You're not the only one finding them difficult, I assure you!

I'm back after a four day mishap, today I completed D5 - L1! A little rusty, not as good as I was getting on D4! I just hope I dont get sore from point zero again!

Congrats to Mimi!! :flowerforyou:
  • weebles
    Options
    So today I started L1D1....holy crap! Here I thought it would be fairly okay for me as I have been doing some resistance training and my gazelle daily. Whatever! Jillian totally kicked my _ _ _ ! :laugh:

I also am starting with 3 lb weights as the 5 lb is too heavy right now. Someone had mentioned on here that his DVD is for the last 10-20 lbs you want to lose? Is that so? I guess I didn't realize that. But if it helps me tone and lose a few lbs...there shouldn't be anything wrong with continuing to do it to lose the rest..right?

Good Luck to everyone today and happy shredding! :happy:
  • mschelle
    mschelle Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    So today I started L1D1....holy crap! Here I thought it would be fairly okay for me as I have been doing some resistance training and my gazelle daily. Whatever! Jillian totally kicked my _ _ _ ! :laugh:

I also am starting with 3 lb weights as the 5 lb is too heavy right now. Someone had mentioned on here that his DVD is for the last 10-20 lbs you want to lose? Is that so? I guess I didn't realize that. But if it helps me tone and lose a few lbs...there shouldn't be anything wrong with continuing to do it to lose the rest..right?

Good Luck to everyone today and happy shredding! :happy:

Welcome to the club! The workout is awesome...you just have to keep with it through all the soreness. It pays off!

I never heard it as something to get those last 10-20 pounds. 20 pounds in 30 days (especially the *last* 10-20 lbs!) is not a realistic goal anyway. I think it's more of a mega-jump start to get quick progress and motivate you during the time it takes to develop the workout habit.
  • lisa811
    lisa811 Posts: 363
    Options
    Congratulations Mimi!

Debbie-you too! Let me know how the second go-around goes.

Everyone: Does anyone else pretend their punching Jillian during the boxing move? She is evil, but I love her for it.
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good Morning, everyone!

I couldn't find my measuring tape yesterday :grumble: so I didn't enter my measurements. I found it last night and so here they are:

B-40.25 Down from 42 (47 starting)

W-38.5 Down from 39.33 (41.5 starting)

H-43.5 Down from 45 (48 starting)

My weight didn't change--still at 212 last Friday--but I'm happy to be losing the inches!:happy:

Did L2D2 this morning. I think I like L2 better than L1!:laugh:
  • leeslim4life
    leeslim4life Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    You Ladies have me cracking up!!!! :laugh: I am glad I am not the only one still suffering through level 1!!!

Lisa- I am with you, I'm going to do it a 2nd go around after completing the 1st round!!! No, I don't imagine punching Jillian, maybe I should start and see if that helps! :happy:

Debbie- You are right when you say we all are different and struggling in different parts of the DVD!!!!

Weebles- :laugh: I thought the same thing when I started. "Oh I can do this!! After all I have been riding the bike & doing strength training" PAHHHH That went right out the window when I did Day 1!!!! I feel your pain hun!! :happy:

Today, I'm doing D8L1!
    I lost 1.6lbs this week & overall 1.6% of Body Fat!!!
    I'm looking forward to the butt kicking this afternoon!!!
  • volks80
    Options
    Question for you guys doing Shred, I was thinking of getting it but I can't do a push up to save my life, I'm good on other stuff. Are there alot of pushups or will it be a waste for me?
  • mschelle
    Options
    I could barely do girl-style pushups when I started the shred. I didn't think I ever would be able to do full push ups.

30 days later...I can totally do push ups! Not like 100 in a row or anything, but far more than I think I have in my life!

Yes, there are a lot of push up type moves, and planks as you progress, but you *will* be able to do them!
  • maryann73
    maryann73 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm MaryAnn, just finished D4L1. (I hear everyone "Hi MaryAnn!) Turned on to the Shred by Lisa. I think I'm thankful...:wink:
    My girls don't just imagine during the punching, they YELL. It's like "Of course you aren't out of breath Jillian! Natalie is doing the hard stuff! You haven't done one crunch! DO IT!!!" lol. They are crazy. It's more fun listening to them than anything else. My super fit 16 year old uses the 5 pound weights for everything. (Show off!) I'm only on two pound weights, but at least I'm doing it, right?
    It's better than the soup cans I used on day one!:bigsmile:
  • lisa811
    Options
    Everyday during the shred, I try to do a "normal" push-up. Still can't do it. But I'll keep trying, and one of these days I'll be amazed!!

Good to see you here MaryAnn!
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    No worries, I used bean cans my first day! lol

Today is my day 13, I've never worked out this many days in a row before, yah me!
  • leeslim4life
    leeslim4life Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    D8L1 is in the bag!!! I also rode the bike!!!
    You girls are never going to believe this....I can't get through the jumping jacks bc I have been doing them faster than they're going!! Today I worked out in my living room where there is no full length mirror and had to watch the tv & I'm like why aren't we doing this together. I stopped to get in pace with the girls & I was like DOH!!!! No wonder why I'm huffing & puffing by the 2nd set!!! I am doing 2 to their one. I felt so relieved and slowed it down today, I even added my regular push-ups back in the 1st set!!! :happy:
    Oh and I know which part I'm going to have trouble with.....those oblique twist....YIKES!!!!!

volks80- almost every move there's a modified version to it. You can do the push ups on your knees and break when you need to. You are going to have to build yourself up to the speed they're going at. So, take your time and do what you can!!! I believe 30DS is the Bomb!!!! Good Luck to you!

Welcome Maryann!!!
  • mschelle
    Options
    OK I just have to share this for all you Shredders...you think 30 seconds of fake jump roping is rough?? Check this out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2WK44cH2J0
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    OK I just have to share this for all you Shredders...you think 30 seconds of fake jump roping is rough?? Check this out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2WK44cH2J0

:happy: That's amazing! Thanks for sharing!
  • lisa811
    Options
    I did Level 2, Day 1 (Day 11 total) today. Wow! Definitely a step up, but I made it through pretty well! I can do this.

One more way I know it's working: For the first time in my life, I can bend over and touch my toes. Easily. I'm becoming so much more flexible! I was so excited to realize that today. :happy:
  • DebbieW
    DebbieW Posts: 187
    Options
    Good morning Shredders,

mschelle - I'm curious about the youtube site, I'll have to check it out later.

Lisa - You can touch your toes now! YEAH!! I remember when I could touch my toes for the first time. It really is exciting and encouraging. You are definitely making excellent progress. Keep up the great work!

Well, I just finished doing Level 1 (2nd time around) and I was determined to keep with the 5lb weights and not drop down to the 3lb weights. I could just "hear" Jillian in my head screaming at me "NO YOU WILL NOT USE 3 LB WEIGHTS, JUST DOOOOO IT"!!!! Yea, I think of bad names for her.

Well I listened to Jillian screaming at me and didn't dare drop down to 3lb's (lol). You know what? I did it! I stayed with the 5 lbs the whole way. It wasn't easy do those front arm raises with the side lunges though. I have to be honest and say that I was going slower than Anita and Natalie. I just focused on a point in front of my eyes and just went at a pace that I could manage and control myself better.

PROGRESS!!! Yeah!!

Oh and one more thing, when I was doing the crunches, I could tell that my belly has shrunk down in size AND I could feel my abs working, YEAH!

Have a super day getting shredded everyone!

Just think how great it will be wearing those summer clothes.

Debbie
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    WTG Debbie on the 5lb weights. I can do them for some exercises in level one but not all :) That is super.

I feel like i'm fighting off a cold, so instead of feeling great after the shred last night, I felt awful. Sigh. Hoping to still push thru today, I don't want to lose mementum.

An aside, Those last set of abs in level 3, i'm really struggling with. I feel like i'm twisting my knee the wrong way. Going to have to watch them again more closely. I can hold the plank position easily i just can't manipulate my legs or torso to the proper way. Any advice?
  • TaysMum
    Options
    Lol at Debbie!! I do the same thing too, go at my own pace and focus at a space infront of me. sometimes I feel that when I look at them I get put off cause they're so damn good!!! :laugh:

D6 - L1 for me today. I really, really enjoyed, the soreness in my body's gone. I'm feeling lighter and bouncier with the jumping jacks too! :happy:
  • pz5wjj
    pz5wjj Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Finished Day 29 today! Me happy but my bum is killing me!

I got No More Trouble Zones, Banish Fat - Boost Metabolism and BL cardio yoga DVD's today. Starting next week I'm going to be incorporating them into my work out.

Since NMTZ & BFBM and 50 minutes each, I may have to think about how I do those because I don't really want to get up at 4:30! I may do a few circuits some days and the other circuits on other days. I'll have to see how I do for time. You'd think being up at 5:00 would give me enough time to do an hour long work out! We'll see though!