Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred--Beginners

Options

Replies

• lolly333
    Options
    Thanks, pmjsmom! I'll post my progress - hope it works!
  • melissahager
    Options
    It's almost 6pm and I just got home from work- late meeting... I was determined to take the day off from exercise but after reading through last night's and today's posts I am now determined to get my Shred in since it's too late (and too cold!!) to go for a walk!! Thanks for the motivation! Level 1 day 5 here I come!!
    Melissa
  • pinkpoole
    Options
    Congrats on getting in your shred, Melissa!

I did L1D5 today, and I didn't have to take any breaks! Not even during the push-ups, which are the hardest part for me. I think it's time to up the weights to push myself a little more.

Lauren, I think this program really does work! I too was so sore after Day 1 and Day2 that I could barely walk upstairs! Give it a few more days & I'm sure you'll notice a difference!
  • missyjane
    missyjane Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I count is as circuit training, general. And I eat my exercise calories and I'm losing consistently so far (two weeks) so that seems to be relatively accurate.

I did an old Billy Blanks Ab boot camp tonight. Ouch!!!!
  • pz5wjj
    pz5wjj Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi guys... new here (well new posting). I just got the DVD today and started L1D1 and wondered if I could join in the group.

Have to say, it kicked my hind end! :ohwell:

I know I will be sore tomorrow and will just have to get back on the horse and do it all again! Do you all do it every day or every other day? I'm trying to decide if I should do the DVD every other day and then run on the days with no DVD or just do the DVD every day for a month and go from there.... ??

Thanks!

Mimi
  • melissahager
    Options
    Welcome! You are joining the most encouraging group of people! Some of us (me included) are doing the Shred every other day. Personally, I am alternating the Shred video with the Couch to 5K running program. I am exercising 6 days a week with Friday's being my off day.
    Good Luck!
    Melissa
  • missyjane
    missyjane Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Shred every other day and another workout video on the other days. I can't handle Shred on a daily basis!
    Welcome!
  • pz5wjj
    pz5wjj Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You are joining the most encouraging group of people! Some of us (me included) are doing the Shred every other day. Personally, I am alternating the Shred video with the Couch to 5K running program. I am exercising 6 days a week with Friday's being my off day.
    Good Luck!
    Melissa

Melissa -- thanks! The Couch to 5K is what I was going to do too! I've started it several times, but kept getting sick or injured!
  • csnealey
    csnealey Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. I done L2 D5 today. Hope everyone is doing well.:flowerforyou:
  • Beconsistent
    Options
    Welcome to all of the new members!

As Melissa H. said, this is one of the most supportive groups so let me take this opportunity to thank Kathy (pmjsmom) for initiating this wonderful thread. I didn't get a chance to post yesterday but I did L1D5 and L1D6 today. Can't wait to make it to Day 7!

Today I decided that I would stop thinking about my challenges for a moment and focus on what I do like about the 30 Day Shred. It's still kind of early in the game but I figured that I would throw this questions out there.

WHAT ARE YOUR TOP THREE 30 DAY SHRED EXERCISES AND WHY?

1. BUTT KICKS - When 30 days is over, I won't have any butt left to kick!

2. CHEST FLYS - I'm very focused and in control when I do this move. I always envision how great my upper body is going to look soon. They also give me a moment to recover.

3. STATIC LUNGES AND BICEP CURLS - I can feel various parts of my body working which makes me feel good.

Seize the day!

Melissa

Note: I'm still on level one so if you are on a different level please specify. Thanks!
  • mschelle
    mschelle Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Interesting question..hmmm...
    (also on Level 1)

1. Bicycles - I love feeling my core do all that work knowing it's tightening up a little every time

2. Push ups - OK I *hate* push ups, but I am so stoked that I can *do* push ups. I did my first full (not girl) push up yesterday..maybe in 20 years??

3. Squats - I love squats (wow, that's like my daughter telling me she lovesd going to the dentist...just sounds wrong!). But squats don't hurt my knees or ankles like lunges do, and they work the biggest muscle group. The results are fast, too.
  • breezy81
    breezy81 Posts: 186
    Options
    Hmm, my Favs...

1) I love butt kicks, if nothign else my kis crack up at them and I love to hear tose giggles!!!
    2)punches, love them they really get that heart rate up!!!
    3)push-ups are very love-hate, I suck at them but am getting better, an that feels great!!

I am on levle one but going to 2 today, Lord help me!!
  • jpasch01
    Options
    I do the Jillian Michaels Burn Fat Boost Metabolism. If you want to sweat, this one is great! Excellent for getting in your cardio! Really kicks your butt!
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    :smile: Let's see--what I love about the Shred:

1. Jillian! I don't find her annoying at all. I find her to be very motivating and encouraging--in her own way, of course!:laugh:
    "No Shame!" That's becoming my new motto.:happy:

2. Punches--I, too, like how they get my heart rate up.

3. Squats and lunges--My legs need the work, that"s for sure!:laugh:

4. Push-ups--I'm not very good at them yet and I'm still doing the 'girlie' ones but I can see the improvement already!

Okay, so far I'm loving every bit of the workout--even those darned jumping jacks!:tongue: I have a ways to go with those!

BTW--for those of you who might be interested--Jillian is on the Ellen Degeneres Show on Monday! (:heart: 2 of my favorite women at the same time! :heart: )

Have a good day! Its supposed to be nice here today so I'm going to get some things done so I can get outside later!

Welcome to all our new people!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: We are SO glad you're here!

Kathy
  • mschelle
    mschelle Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    L1D6 done.

I want to concur with pmjsmom about Jillian. I know a lot of people don't like her personality; that she's "mean". However, for the same reasons they don't like her, I love her! I don't need someone who can't see me cheerily yelling "You're doing great!" while they lead me through lame grapevines, I need someone saying "Don't give up on me!" and "If you want it, you have to fight for it!" while they force me to do pushups!!!
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    Level 1 Day 4 done- it's getting easier. Don't have to do the pushups on my knees anymore:) which is a plus- and when it came time to do the punches, I just imagined my ex's face was the punching bag and was smiling the whole time. Jillian may grate on some people but I like her no-nonsense approach and the way she refuses to "water down" the moves.
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I do the Jillian Michaels Burn Fat Boost Metabolism. If you want to sweat, this one is great! Excellent for getting in your cardio! Really kicks your butt!

I have that video, the Shred, and No More Trouble Zones. I think when I get done with this round of the Shred that I'll move on to one of the others.
  • pinkpoole
    Options
    Good morning Ladies! My exercise this morning was shoveling snow! :grumble: But I wanted to chime in on the fav's list:

I, too, love Jillian - I love the way she can read my mind & tell me not to even THINK of turning off that DVD! :laugh:

I like that the exercise changes every 30 seconds or minute, so I don't have time to get bored.

I love the way my body is begining to feel - no real weight loss yet, but my tummy muscles feel tighter just sitting here!

Thank you to Jillian, and all you wonderful supportive women, for helping me become a healthier person! :flowerforyou:

Have a great day everyone!
    Christie
  • janebo
    janebo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    L1D4....ouch! I think today was tougher than day 1, but I am determined to stick it out.

Could you tell me approximately how many calories L1 workout burns? And, as long as you are at it, how about levels 2 and 3? (As you can tell, I AM planning ahead.)

It's so cold in Kansas today that the workouts serve to keep us warm.

Great job to those of you who are moving on to L2! That's what I call motivation!
  • breezy81
    breezy81 Posts: 186
    Options
    It's so cold in Kansas today that the workouts serve to keep us warm.

Great job to those of you who are moving on to L2! That's what I call motivation!

IT is way too cold in Kansas, I am in Topeka and frozen solid under like almost 2 ft. of snow now!!! And man the drifts, they are crazy! I did level 2 shred to warm up earlier and think I will hit the treamill in abit to get warm again!