5 Pound a Month 20210 Challenge

Options

Replies

• mammakisses
    mammakisses Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I have a little question for you ladies. What is your sugar daily goal?

Mine is set at 24g. for a 1200 cal diet. This morning I had 1 cup of Kellog's Bran flakes with 2% milk and a cup of coffee with 1 Tsp. sugar and a splash of milk. And I'm already over my sugar goal. I guess I will have to switch to 1% milk and maybe try Fiber One cereal instead.
  • workingitout
    workingitout Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I blew it yesterday. Good all day, then for some dumb reason, I gave in and ate a junky snack at bedtime even though I was out of calories. I feel really disappointed in myself. And to top it off, I had weighed yesterday afternoon and it actually showed me going up in weight from last week. Come to think of it, that's probably why I gave in on the junky snack, like "what the heck, why not?". I counted every calorie all week and worked out daily, so it has to be muscle. Right???

So today's a new day. I'm only 300 or so calories over from yesterday - maybe today I could go under by half of that and tomorrow go under by half. I'm just in that non-motivated state of mind. But I've worked too hard since Dec 28. I can't give up now. I will think of you guys all working so hard at this, too and I will push on. Headed to the gym soon and promise I will work twice as hard today.
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Mamma kisses,

I personally do not worry too much about going over on any one category, especially sugar if you eat a lot of yummy health fruit in a day it is very easy to go over. I usually go over on sodium (because I usually eat Weight Watcher's for lunch and eat a lot of pickles...they are crunchy, salty and yummy but high in sodium) I counter that with extra water. You have lost 44 pounds so you have a very good handle on how to get you body to lose weight.

I looked at the skim milk in my fridge and it has 13 grams of sugar in 1 cup which is the same as 1%. The first skim that comes up on MFP when I do a search does not show any sugar so there are errors in some foods here. Just shows the need to read the label.:flowerforyou:
  • Iffer75
    Iffer75 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Awesome for you! Your ticker says you are only .8 from your goal...or are you changing your goal weight? No matter what you have done great!

I am glad you are in this challenge. You are a great cheerleader! I remember that from the looking good for Christmas challenge!

Thanx :tongue: Only .8 to go. I can't believe I am there. It feels like it took forever, but I have to remember I am doing it the right way and it will stay off that way.

Yes, I was on the Christmas challenge and I was actually hoping all the girls would follow over here. Maybe they will be here soon. I am really glad you started this thread it is always nice to get support and encouragement and as you said, I love to give back. :bigsmile:
  • Iffer75
    Options
    WOW! JENNIFER! Congratulations - you are almost there. Less than a pound. Woo hoo! :happy: :happy: :happy: ~ Shivaun

Thanx :bigsmile:
  • Iffer75
    Options
    Mammakisses, thank you for the link - the videos look like a lot of fun - I think that I know what my next dvd purchase is going to be!

Hope that everyone is doing well! Had one triumph and one challenge that I didn't meet so well.

CHALLENGE: I sort of blew it a little in the food department today - ended up giving into emotional eating a little during the afternoon, at least it was with healthy food - hummus and rye crisps. It's the emotional eating part that is getting me a little down. But still came in well below my calorie "goal" so I guess that I shouldn't be too hard on myself.

TRIUMPH: I felt like I didn't have the time to exercise today, but decided that if I'm really doing to do this, I need to make it a priority. 80 minutes done! Cardio, weights, stretch. :D

Good for you for pushing through and working out. I am sure you felt awesome afterward. Keep up the awesome work. :bigsmile:
  • Iffer75
    Options
    Great Job! I would say that as long as you are below your cal goal that is two triumphs!:flowerforyou:

My Challenge:
    I finished my daughters tader tots today after dinner, :embarassed: about 5 of them. AND I didn't log them because I couldn't find it in the system. I need to be better, I would rather waste the food then lug it around on my *kitten* but I still eat it anyway! :sad:

My Triumph:
    I felt bad about the evil little potato tots so I did the elliptical for 30 mins. So now I am under my cals again for the day! :smile:

Way to go getting back on track. Keep up the great work. :bigsmile:
  • Iffer75
    Options

Mine is set at 24g. for a 1200 cal diet. This morning I had 1 cup of Kellog's Bran flakes with 2% milk and a cup of coffee with 1 Tsp. sugar and a splash of milk. And I'm already over my sugar goal. I guess I will have to switch to 1% milk and maybe try Fiber One cereal instead.

1% is good, but Skim is better for you. I know, a lot of people don't like it, but if you are using it in cereal you can't tell the difference. Skim milk is fat free. There is no sugar in Skim or Fat Free milk. Fiber One cereal is great, my favorite is the Caramel squares. Yummy. I am drooling just thinking of it. LOL

What happens when Sugar intake is too high?
    Added sugar, which does not contain vitamins and minerals, displaces nutritious food in the diet. High intakes of sugar promote overeating because of its stimulating taste. Excess calories consumed over time result in obesity with its myriad of health risks and problems. A high sugar intake is closely associated with dental caries especially when the sugar is eaten as a sticky food. Carefully controlled studies have not found a correlation between sugar and behavioral problems, although preliminary animal research has shown evidence of sugar-dependence.

I found this on http://caloriecount.about.com/sugar-facts-nf269

Thought this could help answer your question about sugar.
  • Iffer75
    Options
    I blew it yesterday. Good all day, then for some dumb reason, I gave in and ate a junky snack at bedtime even though I was out of calories. I feel really disappointed in myself. And to top it off, I had weighed yesterday afternoon and it actually showed me going up in weight from last week. Come to think of it, that's probably why I gave in on the junky snack, like "what the heck, why not?". I counted every calorie all week and worked out daily, so it has to be muscle. Right???

So today's a new day. I'm only 300 or so calories over from yesterday - maybe today I could go under by half of that and tomorrow go under by half. I'm just in that non-motivated state of mind. But I've worked too hard since Dec 28. I can't give up now. I will think of you guys all working so hard at this, too and I will push on. Headed to the gym soon and promise I will work twice as hard today.

First off, do you weigh yourself every Monday afternoon? If you don't then quit weighing yourself in the afternoon. Weigh yourself only once a week, I can not emphasise that enough. Weighing every day and at odd hours is just going to frustrate you. In this thread everyone is weighing in on Friday mornings. I would stick with that and make sure to do your measurements once a month. Also, think about how you feel in your clothes. Quit giving yourself such a hard time. We all splurge on occasion and that is okay. Just chalk it up to one bad meal and move on from there. Make sure your next meal is back on schedule. You can do this, just remember why you are here. We are all here to help you along the way. Hang in there, it will get easier. :bigsmile:
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Mammakisses, thank you for the link - the videos look like a lot of fun - I think that I know what my next dvd purchase is going to be!

Hope that everyone is doing well! Had one triumph and one challenge that I didn't meet so well.

CHALLENGE: I sort of blew it a little in the food department today - ended up giving into emotional eating a little during the afternoon, at least it was with healthy food - hummus and rye crisps. It's the emotional eating part that is getting me a little down. But still came in well below my calorie "goal" so I guess that I shouldn't be too hard on myself.

TRIUMPH: I felt like I didn't have the time to exercise today, but decided that if I'm really doing to do this, I need to make it a priority. 80 minutes done! Cardio, weights, stretch. :D

Great Job! I would say that as long as you are below your cal goal that is two triumphs!:flowerforyou:

My Challenge:
    I finished my daughters tader tots today after dinner, :embarassed: about 5 of them. AND I didn't log them because I couldn't find it in the system. I need to be better, I would rather waste the food then lug it around on my *kitten* but I still eat it anyway! :sad:

My Triumph:
    I felt bad about the evil little potato tots so I did the elliptical for 30 mins. So now I am under my cals again for the day! :smile:

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: WAY TO GO! I LOVE THE LINE "I WOULD RATHER WASTE THE FOOD THEN LUG IT ON MY *kitten*....":laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Great thought!

I was raised by a single mom who didn't waste food. Now I am the one who doesn't want to waste. I don't buy that kind of stuff norm and my daughter asked for it so I thought "Well just because I cook it does not mean I need to eat it" I had a healthy dinner and wasn't even hungry but then I found myself finishing her plate as we talked about our day. I was like OMG WHAT am I doing?!?!?!

But 2 late, they were chewed. :explode:
    At least I stopped myself before I made it over to my sons plate :ohwell: the old me would have eating all of it just so it didn't go into the trash. But why? If it is in the trash or if it is in my tummy it is still gone!
  • Iffer75
    Options
    I was raised by a single mom who didn't waste food. Now I am the one who doesn't want to waste. I don't buy that kind of stuff norm and my daughter asked for it so I thought "Well just because I cook it does not mean I need to eat it" I had a healthy dinner and wasn't even hungry but then I found myself finishing her plate as we talked about our day. I was like OMG WHAT am I doing?!?!?!

But 2 late, they were chewed. :explode:
    At least I stopped myself before I made it over to my sons plate :ohwell: the old me would have eating all of it just so it didn't go into the trash. But why? If it is in the trash or if it is in my tummy it is still gone!

You said you don't normally buy that type of food and bring it into the house. I would not worry too much about it, since this is not a regular occurence. Once in a while is not going to hurt you, as long you exercise daily and eat healthy the rest of the day, those 5 little pieces are not going to hurt you. You are doing a great job, keep up the good work. :bigsmile:
  • mammakisses
    Options
    Mamma kisses,

I personally do not worry too much about going over on any one category, especially sugar if you eat a lot of yummy health fruit in a day it is very easy to go over. I usually go over on sodium (because I usually eat Weight Watcher's for lunch and eat a lot of pickles...they are crunchy, salty and yummy but high in sodium) I counter that with extra water. You have lost 44 pounds so you have a very good handle on how to get you body to lose weight.

I looked at the skim milk in my fridge and it has 13 grams of sugar in 1 cup which is the same as 1%. The first skim that comes up on MFP when I do a search does not show any sugar so there are errors in some foods here. Just shows the need to read the label.:flowerforyou:

Thanks for the info. It was becoming a real puzzle to get in my calories without going over my sugar eventhough most of the sugar was from fruits and cereal.

Oh and I couldn't wait until friday so I weighted myself this morning and I lost 3 more pounds since last week. woohoo. I might just lose the whole 5 pounds before the end of the month eventhough I joined this group late.
  • mammakisses
    Options

1% is good, but Skim is better for you. I know, a lot of people don't like it, but if you are using it in cereal you can't tell the difference. Skim milk is fat free. There is no sugar in Skim or Fat Free milk. Fiber One cereal is great, my favorite is the Caramel squares. Yummy. I am drooling just thinking of it. LOL

What happens when Sugar intake is too high?
    Added sugar, which does not contain vitamins and minerals, displaces nutritious food in the diet. High intakes of sugar promote overeating because of its stimulating taste. Excess calories consumed over time result in obesity with its myriad of health risks and problems. A high sugar intake is closely associated with dental caries especially when the sugar is eaten as a sticky food. Carefully controlled studies have not found a correlation between sugar and behavioral problems, although preliminary animal research has shown evidence of sugar-dependence.

I found this on http://caloriecount.about.com/sugar-facts-nf269

Thought this could help answer your question about sugar.

Thanks for the info. I will check the site out.
  • cannon15
    cannon15 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Is it ok to always eat your exercise calories? Will I still lose if I do? I've been exercising daily (and twice today!), but I find that I'm eating more then. Is that ok?
  • siobhannestor
    Options
    JennPlus, Mammakisses, Jennifer, thank you all for the encouragement!

Jenn, it looks like we both had triumphs today. Like TCasmey, I love that line, “I would rather waste the food than lug it around on my *kitten*” too! Another of your lines that I had to chuckle at, “But why? If it is in the trash or if it is in my tummy it is still gone! “

TCasmey – I love that line, too!

Mammakisses, regarding a sugar goal – I just ignore it. I eat almost no refined carbs or processed foods and don’t eat sugar at all, but on days when I eat fruit, I always come in over. The one that I am really concerned with personally is the sodium – I’m always a little high even though I do most of my own cooking and try to buy low-sodium versions of chicken stock, canned tomatoes, etc.

WorkingItOut – I identify with the frustration, and eating when you feel like you’re not getting the results. I think you have just reached a plateau. Sometimes it just doesn’t show on the scale. I like Jennifer’’s advice – feel like I need to listen to it, also as I always feel like weighing myself every morning. Regarding “going under” tomorrow – if that were me, I’d just end up feeling like I was punishing myself. One of the things that I think is actually good about this process of checking in is that it makes us aware of what our “Achilles Heels” are – that seems like a triumph of a sort to me. Anyway, we are here for you – just pick up.

Cannon, I always try to eat at least some of my exercise calories, only because I’ve learned that if I don’t, I quickly reach a plateau. I think that your body will tell you what to do. If you’re losing weight, then do ahead. If not, then cut back, if that makes any sense.

So: challenge today – didn’t get enough sleep last night due to work. I know, I should – it was really hard not to overeat because I was so tired, but I stuck to my planned meals, so I guess that was my triumph!

Have a great day tomorrow, everyone!

Shivaun

P.S., Have I mentioned how much I value this group? You are all wonderful!
  • TCASMEY
    Options
    Is it ok to always eat your exercise calories? Will I still lose if I do? I've been exercising daily (and twice today!), but I find that I'm eating more then. Is that ok?

Yes! MFP sets a calories deficit for you to help you lose your 1-2 pounds per week. I usually enter 10-20% less than my HRM stated calorie burn. That gives me a margin of error and keeps me from eating back 100% of my exercise calories. You probably eat more on exercise days because your body is craving those calories to help it keep functioning and recover from exercise.

Have a great day!
  • workingitout
    workingitout Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You guys rock. Keep up the good work and we will all be healthy together! You're all such an inspiration to me as I workout - I think of the members of MFP and it makes me work harder! Yay for us!
  • TCASMEY
    Options
    Sorry I did not get around to kicking your mental game up a notch yesterday....time just got away from me. But here is the idea for today

EXERCISE YOUR FUNNY BONE!

Get a good belly laugh every day.

visit www.jokeoftheday.com

Ever notice how after a good laugh you feel better, your mood improves and you generally have a better outlook on life. Find something to laugh about today. I do home daycare and I can find several things a day to make me laugh. I will have to try and remember some and share from time-to-time to help you laugh.

One of my favorites is from back when I taught 2nd grade. One of the students asked me where babies came from, but then in the same breath the changed it to "I know where babies come from, how do they get there?" Great question!
  • cannon15
    cannon15 Posts: 26 Member
    Options

Yes! MFP sets a calories deficit for you to help you lose your 1-2 pounds per week. I usually enter 10-20% less than my HRM stated calorie burn. That gives me a margin of error and keeps me from eating back 100% of my exercise calories. You probably eat more on exercise days because your body is craving those calories to help it keep functioning and recover from exercise.

Have a great day!
    Thank you!
  • Iffer75
    Options
    Thanks for the info. It was becoming a real puzzle to get in my calories without going over my sugar eventhough most of the sugar was from fruits and cereal.

Oh and I couldn't wait until friday so I weighted myself this morning and I lost 3 more pounds since last week. woohoo. I might just lose the whole 5 pounds before the end of the month eventhough I joined this group late.

3 pounds that is awesome. Keep up the great work. :bigsmile: