So much for people NOT watching.

Options

Replies

• cjgillespie
    cjgillespie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I think one thing you need to remember is that generally people only open their mouth when they have something bad to say.. We rarely ask to speak to someones boss to pay them a compliment, whereas we are quick to ask for their boss if we feel the need to complain. Same goes for seeing people in public. When a perfectly normal looking person walks by you on the street, you probably don't pay any attention to her but if someone walks by with a crazy mullet and trashy clothes, you will definitely notice them.

Im rambling. I guess what Im trying to say is, for every *kitten* that wants to call you a name or laugh, there are dozens of people who didnt have any bad thoughts about you. There are tons of passerbys who think you look good, or who didnt notice you at all, or even people who thought "good for her!" or "i wish i had that kind of motivation!" but didnt think it was needed to speak up.

Im a BIG BIG believer in paying compliments to strangers, or at least smiling. You never know what someone else has said to them and sometimes a smile or nod of encouragement from a stranger while on a jog is all the motivation you need to KEEP PUSHING.

You got this girl.
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    People can be nasty. This is life. This is not a newsflash. The world is not filled with rainbows and butterflies and unicorns.

Sometimes people flat out suck. But why would you let that "derail" you? Seriously, how could being made fun of for being "fat" derail anyone? Isn't that why you're here? Because you're tired of being called fat?

Use it as motivation. There are rude, inconsiderate, nasty people on the planet. Crying about them is not going to change that fact.

^^^ This
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    That is immaturity! people are so rude! its such a shame. You run and keep it up! you are doing a great thing it matters not what stupid people say!
  • aesquivel47
    aesquivel47 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Karma is a bit** with good memory. Don't let the jerks get you down. Good for you. At least you're trying to do something good in this world for yourself and the people you love. Can't say the same for those morons.
  • Tarin626
    Tarin626 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My response:

"Yeah, I'm fat, but I can lose weight...you're always gonna be ugly!"

Stand up for yourself and go back to that park whenever you want! Don't let other people's *kitten* behaviour determine anything about your life :-) Congrats on your weight loss and keep going!
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    That's awful. :( Try to use it as motivation. My sister in law used to make fat jokes about me, and now I'm thinner than she is. She shutup real quick. And I've never said a word about it. I just enjoy it on the inside. :smile:
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    >> I did go walking the next day (Tuesday) and again yesterday... Has anyone else had something like this happen to them? I know, be strong, don't let the haters get you down, etc. but, as most of you will be able to agree with, this is hard enough on it's own, why the F do people, and I use this term loosely, have to try and make it more difficult? <<

HUGs to you. I used to get called out for other things that stood out about me.
    I think cause you stand out, you're moving, they're feeling insecure about something out of the norm. Keep moving. Personally, I love seeing people exercise because I know they are not ashamed of their size and they are doing something good for themselves rather than pointing fingers and saying I wish. F'em. Wear the headphones, crank the music, go into yourself. One day you will pass them.
    Keep moving sista!
  • gayje
    gayje Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    My advice is to remember to bring your music. Who knows, perhaps people have made remarks in the past when you had the ear buds in and music on but you didn't hear it. YOU know who you are. YOU know what your ultimate goals are for your journey. The idiots who make jokes and laugh at you must really be afraid of success, otherwise, they would know that it takes a lot of damn hard work to get to any goal worth accomplishing. Had they ever reached a major goal in life they wouldn't be laughing at you hun.

"You can't fix stupid with duct tape but you can avoid listening to it with a good pair of ear buds and loud music."

Keep on the path of your journey and pat yourself on the back that this insult didn't stop you from trying again :flowerforyou:
  • AnnaMC1977
    Options
    I'm sorry this happened to you. People are just intolerant and cruel these days. Keep going and just ignore these idiots. Congrats on running the hill and your WL so far!
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    you should have shot the finger at em and told them to fuk off...... punks

how do they expect you to get thin if you don't exercise.........worthless punks

I wished I would have been there.....I d give them something to talk about

hang in there hun, just keep exercising, it pays off ...... I looked like a freak show the first time I used an eliptical for about 3 minutes , and now I ve lost it all and can work out for up to 3 hours and I m 57........see , you just keep your goal and you' ll make it......best wishes
  • proudarmywife06
    proudarmywife06 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I know that it hurts in more ways than one. I was going to the gym with my husband and there were two younger women in there with a young man and they took it upon themselves to let me know how fat I was and that it was funny because I was sweating. It sucked and I cried almost half the night but then I realized that they can say what they want to. I'm going to do this. Atleast I'm not some fat and sweaty girl sitting on the couch. I'm trying to do something. Plus in a few months when I really drop some weight and they see me. I hope they will eat their words or either not recognize me at all. lol Just keep your head up and know that you're doing something great. No one ever said getting to the top would be easy and you're on a great start!
  • roundrunner
    roundrunner Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to ignore comments like that. Over the past 20 years, I've received my share of the "keep running fat *kitten*" type of comments. They hurt and honestly, I remember every single incident. After a while, the hurt goes away, and you will look back on these comments as battle scars, because you are a fighter. Hang in there & continue to work out.
  • MeganG12345
    MeganG12345 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    "FUUUUCK THEM."

Seriously I know this sounds crass and horrible but for me that has been one of the most empowering sentences. Some people are just terrible and the best way to deal with them that I've found is to just acknowledge that fact. The people who yelled that are freaking miserable human beings who aren't worth a second though. Fuuuck them.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    So, what is it about people that make us hard wired to try and hurt each other? Why do perfect strangers have to be so hurtful? You always see people post here (and say it in real life) don't be worried that others are watching @ the gym, park, etc. They're not worried about you or what you're doing. This is so not true. A girlfriend and I have been walking at a local part together. The other day we decided to get ambitious and we actually managed to run up most of the hills. So, the next day, I went walking alone and went to a different local park (the one I normally go to when I'm alone). I decided to try and run some of this trail due to it being flat, I figured, if I ran uphill, I should be able to run longer on a flat surface. I forgot my headphones this day so I didn't have music blasting like I usually do when I'm alone. I was the only one on the trail that day (it circles a lake). So, as I'm running, I hear someone yell out., "OH MY GOD! Would you look at that fat girl trying to run?!?!? HAHAHAHAHAHA". And, then, several people burst out laughing. Needless to say, that about killed me emotionally.

Something like that could derail someone's journey completely. I did go walking the next day (Tuesday) and again yesterday. (Not Wed because I worked a double shift at work) but, I have a feeling going back to that park, alone, is going to be difficult. Has anyone else had something like this happen to them? I know, be strong, don't let the haters get you down, etc. but, as most of you will be able to agree with, this is hard enough on it's own, why the F do people, and I use this term loosely, have to try and make it more difficult? Today's weigh in day for me....here's hoping the scale moves in the correct direction...if it doesn't, after this, I'm going to be very extremely upset.

Happy Friday everyone.
    You know what?
    GOOD FOR YOU!!!!

It is really easy for someone who is in great shape to go out and run/lift/bike however, it is REALLY difficult for someone who is out of shape to do the same.
    Not only do you get to wake up at "screw you" o'clock but then you have to contend with short breath, acking knees, and all kinds of other stuff PLUS the outside conditions.

In all seriousness, I respect the absolute crap out of you.
  • babymamahowell
    Options
    Honestly I think when people do those things it is really just their own insecurities coming out. It's to hard to look at yourself so you make fun of someone else. You are doing great and keep it up. Like others have said you are getting healthy and I would guess they probably aren't doing anything.

Great job!!!
  • mrtobias50
    mrtobias50 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My mother used to say "consider the source" when people were rude. What a sad and tiny life those folks must have if they need to make fun of someone.

You are so strong and brave for getting out there and working on your health. Keep going. The most important person is you and I suspect that you also have a supportive group of friends. You certainly have all of the support from here!

Consider this: You could let them get to you and in 30 years you could still be fat and have ruined your knees so that you couldn't run. That's me. I wish I could turn back the clock but I can't. So I am doing everything I can with the 62 year old damaged body that I do have. I am not giving up and you shouldn't either!

Fight the good fight and don't let the turkeys get to you!
  • yowla
    yowla Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I give you so much credit. It has taking me a long time to run by myself just for that very reason. I don't like people looking at me because I feel they are judging me. But in a way I think to myself I am actually doing this, making myself feel better, making myself look better, making my life live longer. I would love to see those people who judge get out and do this themselves. You keep going girl. They will always be jerks. They will never change. They will never be happy. ANGER will eat them alive. You will be happier with yourself knowing that you took care of YOU!
  • yowla
    yowla Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    "You can't fix stupid with duct tape but you can avoid listening to it with a good pair of ear buds and loud music."

Love it. Actually we could duct tape them to a treadmill and put it on full power and make fun of them. Haha
  • October11th
    Options
    "You should never laugh or make any comments about anyone who is walking, running, or doing any type of workout because at least they're trying". Yup I quoted myself :D

I wrote a big long thing because I got so worked up lol but basically it comes down to...
    people are rude and are never going to change.
    That person is a low life for saying that.
    Don't let anyone bring you down no matter what.
    You give it your all and that's all that matters. Go back to that same park and you do what you got to do! Then once you reach your goal I hope that same person is back at the park while you're there and you can show them what hard work and dedication can do. Maybe it will inspire them to go out and do something with there own life because from the sound of it they're not doing a whole lot. :)

Have a good day and please please please brush them off!
  • m16shane
    m16shane Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    After reading most of these comments, this is why I love MFP and this community!