What if your daughter's boyfriend did this?

Options

Replies

• Twisted_Wrister
    Twisted_Wrister Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Could be nothing, like a lot of other people said. However, if he's dealing meth, you may never know. If he's using meth, you should see it pretty quickly. Either way, tell him you own a shovel and a bag of lime and you doubt he'll be missed.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Why is he allowed to touch your computer in the first place? I'd be LIVID if someone I didn't know went on my computer and used it without my permission, which even if asked the answer would be no.

Why don't you password protect it?
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    IT does matter what he is searching....Searches for illegal activity suggest he is not someone I want my daughter around.
  • fraser112
    Options
    [/quote]

I used to have a copy of the anarchist's cook book on a floppy disk. (Just for sh!ts and giigles :laugh: )
    [/quote]

Its a good book, ITS A GOOD BOOOK :laugh:
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I agree with corn63. Personally I would have to talk to him about this in a non-confrontational openmanner; there may be a simple explanation but I would want to discuss it . Good luck x
  • stephc0711
    stephc0711 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    They'd be dragging me off the bloody mess I made of him.

Yeah.... This is exactly what I'd do.
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    1st off he's searching for illegal activites on your computer, so if he's searching how to make meth, perhaps next will be bombs or whatever he searches for comes back to your computer -so say he searches and out of curiosity searches and hits a website that's being monitored by law enforcement then what?.

People do search stupid stuff, why is he searching on your computer??? I learned my lesson years ago when kids were using my home computer to download music for free from sites like Bear Share.

No thanks and I do have a 20 year old daughter - so I hear your concerns
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    I'd ask him about it while cleaning my guns. Then I'd politely ask that he not use my computer for it again in the future.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    First comment: More information. How old is this kid? Why are you letting them use your computer and you're not watching? Do they have a current drug problem that you're aware of? Has your daughter asked you to purchase copious amounts of cough medicine lately?

This.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    For my high school health class, we had to choose an illegal drug, research everything we could find about it and then make a presentation to the entire class. Back then, we did research in libraries in books, so there was no cybertrail of my insidious doings.

I guess I shouldn't be allowed to date anyone's sons.

Honestly! He may have been doing something wrong, but there are more than a couple innocent possibilities. Why does everyone immediately assume the worst?

I repeat my first sentiment: ASK HIM.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I have found out that he has been using my computer to find sites on information on how to make meth. Not sure if he is actually doing this but why else would he be looking up the info?
    i would ask if he's been watching a lot of breaking bad!

i'd ask him about it, it's a chance for open communication.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    My daughter has had many projects and papers to write the past 3 yrs, birth control, STD, pregnancies, cocaine addiction, trans genders, murder of famous people....etc...

Could have have simply been researching something while doing homework with your daughter ? could it have been your daughter researching it ?

I would look at the kid, look at when he was using the pc, look at the history before and after the meth search and see if anything adds up, I am not suggesting you ignore it, but I am recommending that you look at the "big picture"
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I know the basics of how to make a lot of illicit drugs...doesn't mean I've ever done it.

this. people research dumb **** all the time. you could be frank with them and say...."so this was in my history, what is up?" and hopefully you have an honest and open relationship with them.
    This and that. What if the kid is working on a report for school... say about how easy it is to make meth, or how easy it is to find out HOW to make meth on the internet. I think people are jumping to a lot of conclusions. I'd ask him what's up. I'd be prepared to kick him out the door if he gives the wrong answer, but at least give him a chance to answer before you put a slug in his head! Geez people.
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It could be simply curiousity. Maybe he's researching the subject for school.

Without any other context there's really no way of knowing what's up. I've google-searched all KINDS of things. I'm a curious girl too.

It could mean he wants to make meth or it could not. If you know he's a good kid otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. If you've seen other clues or hints or whatever, then it might be worth looking inot further.

Why not ask him about it?
  • isabellecmiranda
    isabellecmiranda Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    themoreyouknow.jpg

I remember this! i almost died lol
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I know the basics of how to make a lot of illicit drugs...doesn't mean I've ever done it.

this. people research dumb **** all the time. you could be frank with them and say...."so this was in my history, what is up?" and hopefully you have an honest and open relationship with them.

This, and honestly, I don't think it's even dumb. I (attempted, the internet wasn't as awesome back then) to look up a ton of stuff like this as a teenager. Sometimes I still do, not because I am interested in actually doing the things I read about, but just because I'm curious about the world. Are you going to assume he's a terrorist because he owns a copy of the Anarchists Cookbook?
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Also it makes me sad seeing all these replies going "No questions asked, grounded, no longer allowed at my house, etc"

What happened to TALKING with your teenagers? I bet the OP would feel like a real jerk if he was just doing research for a school project.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    We all search for weird things. If you see it popping up again, or anything else that alerts you, THEN you can ask him about it.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I'm a writer. You do not want to know the things I have researched on the internet.

Maybe it would be wise to tell his parents and decide together with them what the right approach is. They know him best.
  • pxpwop
    pxpwop Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Easy simple answer and I am sure people have said it already (have not read most of the thread) but ask him. Straight out ask him and be open and honest. If it turns out he is trying to make meth then you have a tough decision. If he just was curious then maybe don't allow him on your computer if it bothers you. That is probably what I would do.