What if your daughter's boyfriend did this?

Options

Replies

• Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    If he used MY computer (her computer is owned by me also) to look up illegal activities around MY daughter, he'd no longer be allowed in my home and I'd make it as difficult as I could to make sure they were no longer boyfriend and girlfriend. I don't even care if the excuse is he was just curious. If that's the crap you're curious about, I don't want you around my daughter.

Wow. Special. I am/was curious about stuff like that. And you know what, I think I turned out okay. I don't use illegal drugs, I have a Ph.D., and a good career--but you wouldn't want people like me around your daughter.
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Casey Anthony.. is that you?.. Oh wait.. wrong drugs..
  • Zombielicious
    Zombielicious Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    My first assumption is he's curious because he probably heard something about it so he looked it up. Doesn't mean he's planning to do it. I look up random, crazy stuff online all the time.

^^ This. Curiosity generally gets the best of me more often than not....I just know how to clear my history or use private browsing.
  • fraser112
    Options
    Just because I look up horse sex, doesn't mean I want to have sexy time with them... just saying...

I don't look that up....btw....too large for me...not that I have ever seen it..
    go on.........
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Wow. Special. You probably wouldn't want your daughter around people like me and my friends either--so you better not send her to college, we all teach there.
    I don't want my daughter dating a guy who is curious about making meth and using our computer to look it up. Period. Quite different than her being in a class at a university being taught by teachers who have googled it. At least in my mind it is very different.
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Wow. Special. You probably wouldn't want your daughter around people like me and my friends either--so you better not send her to college, we all teach there.
    I don't want my daughter dating a guy who is curious about making meth and using our computer to look it up. Period. Quite different than her being in a class at a university being taught by teachers who have googled it. At least in my mind it is very different.

So,.. only eachers can google about drugs? I could be mis-reading, i am sleepy.
  • JLand918
    Options
    Meth is a huge epidemic in this country or anywhere for that matter , it is not a joke even though some on here think it is. Anyone looking that crap up isnt doing it for fun they are doing it so they can find out how to make it so be extra suspicious of his future actions. Watch what he buys etc. If it even looks like he is going to be making meth call the cops, dont care who he is to you, if he makes it in your house.garage etc it has a huge risk of explosion, its common knowledge that meth labs are extremely dangerous.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options

I'm not sure I quite get this, do you see the curiosity the same as premeditation?

It would be different if he were pricing the equipment, but simply saying, "How do they do this?" is pretty benign.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    Ive looked up some really off the wall stuff for swagbucks.. if someone looked at that history, wow.

However, this is messing with your daughter. I would deffo get to the bottom of it!
  • redlion45
    redlion45 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I know the basics of how to make a lot of illicit drugs...doesn't mean I've ever done it.

this. people research dumb **** all the time. you could be frank with them and say...."so this was in my history, what is up?" and hopefully you have an honest and open relationship with them.

This ^^^^ If you get a weasl's look and a lie you will learn something. Then you can get the shotgun and the shovel!
  • Lucianna_D
    Lucianna_D Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My son looks up all that crazy stuff, its knowlegde my son isn't a user only reason I know is his job does random drug testing & he is studying to be a firefighter..
  • JLand918
    Options
    Going to play devils advocate and if you were not there interacting with them you do not know why he was looking at it. I would say talk to your daughter and find out if they are doing a class in school. Don't ask because you are angry ask because you saw the info and are curious as to what is happening in their life.
    '

I would be um highly angry if it was a school project! "Ok kids google how to make meth and write a report on your findings to me"
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

Not really. Without context you have no idea. Maybe he learned it in school, and was impressed by some aspect of it. For instance, I am impressed with how freaking dangerous it is when you mix the two chemicals together. And, then, what it really is, just poison. If I was chatting about it with someone, and there was a computer avaiable, I would not think twice about bringing it up and showing someone, if they were interested.

Again, without context, you can make up things in your head about it. But, it could also be very innocent.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

Not that different. All we know is that the kid googled (or otherwise searched) on how to make meth, assuming that is all he did (i.e. he's not actually making, or trying to make meth) then that is really no different from me googling the same thing.
  • perfectingpatti
    Options
    I'm assuming my daughter's boyfriend is a teenager, although I don't know that the OP ever said so. A teenage boy dating my daughter and being curious about how to make meth is different in my mind than a teacher who may Google it for gaining knowledge on what to look for in students. If I found out her teacher was actually making meth, then I'd go to administration. These are different issues.
  • JLand918
    Options
    My son looks up all that crazy stuff, its knowlegde my son isn't a user only reason I know is his job does random drug testing & he is studying to be a firefighter..

Yes that is justified for job reasons Fireman and Police Officers are best to know such things to keep them and the public safe, kudos for him for working to become a Firefighter. :)
  • perfectingpatti
    Options
    Not that different. All we know is that the kid googled (or otherwise searched) on how to make meth, assuming that is all he did (i.e. he's not actually making, or trying to make meth) then that is really no different from me googling the same thing.
    The difference is that you are not dating my daughter and using my computer to Google it.
  • jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Not sure why he's using your computer but that's another point.

I would ask him, plain and simple. If he didn't go to the bother of erasing his tracks, chances are there's an easy explanation.

If you're not satisfied with the answer, then you go from there.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming my daughter's boyfriend is a teenager, although I don't know that the OP ever said so. A teenage boy dating my daughter and being curious about how to make meth is different in my mind than a teacher who may Google it for gaining knowledge on what to look for in students. If I found out her teacher was actually making meth, then I'd go to administration. These are different issues.

No they aren't because you have no context for why he looked it up.

Please don't be so close minded about things. When people look things up it can be positive, like he was saying, "OMG, I learned about this in school, this stuff is crazy, look" shows a YouTube Video of it blowing up a house (which it can do), and then other facts about what it's made out of (poison).

It doesn't mean he's going to make it, he's just looking it up. Could be a thousand reasons.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    I mean, was he recently watching Breaking Bad?