30 day shred begining 1-1-10

Options

Replies

• tamelab
    tamelab Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Hey Shredders...I haven't forgotten you this week. I'm supposed to shred today but I'll be going to the gym with hubby instead. I'll try to shed tomorrow. Have a great Friday!
  • mschelle
    mschelle Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm still doing the push ups on my knees - but I can do them now! I may have to try some the proper way eventually. :ohwell: And I can't do the sit ups. I'd like to blame it on the fact I had 2 c-sections, but my youngest son is 5, so I think I'm completely healed! LOL!

Well done on doing Day 3!

When I did my first full pushup (ever...or at least for like 25 years!) I was so excited! Once I did it, I started each push up set with however many full ones I could do, then dropped to my knees to finish out. It helped me "practice" the full ones.

I had a C-section, too - 16 years ago! - and I still use it as an excuse. :laugh: As far as situps, I kind of mix both girls - I have my knees bent, but my arms out like I'm reaching for my ankles. You could also try using weights in your hands...it gives me a little extra leverage. So like: lie on back, knees bent, arms at sides, palms up, with hand weights. As you sit up, do bicep curls with both arms. See if that helps?
  • doob
    doob Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I find easier than doing pushups on your knees (I have bad knees), put a medium sized yoga ball under your hip/thigh area, then keeping your balance with your abs, try the push ups that way. I've found that works excellent, and as you gain strengh, move the ball closer to your feet, and voila! You can then take the ball away all together and you are doing full pushups!
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    I find easier than doing pushups on your knees (I have bad knees), put a medium sized yoga ball under your hip/thigh area, then keeping your balance with your abs, try the push ups that way. I've found that works excellent, and as you gain strengh, move the ball closer to your feet, and voila! You can then take the ball away all together and you are doing full pushups!

OOoooo..... GREAT IDEA!!!
  • pz5wjj
    pz5wjj Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    When I did my first full pushup (ever...or at least for like 25 years!) I was so excited! Once I did it, I started each push up set with however many full ones I could do, then dropped to my knees to finish out. It helped me "practice" the full ones.

I had a C-section, too - 16 years ago! - and I still use it as an excuse. :laugh: As far as situps, I kind of mix both girls - I have my knees bent, but my arms out like I'm reaching for my ankles. You could also try using weights in your hands...it gives me a little extra leverage. So like: lie on back, knees bent, arms at sides, palms up, with hand weights. As you sit up, do bicep curls with both arms. See if that helps?

Good idea to "work up" to the push ups! I did try some today and I can't get all the way down - only about 1/2 way -- and I can only do 2 or 3! But, I'm getting there.

And I'll try the sit up trick. I was looking for furniture today to hook my feet under and it didn't work out so well. I found it was "easier" (and I use that term very loosely) if my knees were bent and my arms were straight. I have some lower back issues and this was less strain on my back too. I'm hoping this will help build up my core and then I won't have the issues any longer!
  • mschelle
    Options
    L3D2 done! I realized I simply don't have the coordination for the circuit 3 thing where you lift weights in plank, then lift your leg? I can't seem to stay up like that. :drinker:

Got another exertion headache halfway through today..grrrrr :mad: I've had a headache all week, though, so maybe not exercise-related (entirely).
  • momie0205
    momie0205 Posts: 232
    Options
    I do the 30 day shred dvd roughly 3x a week. I've always heard it's never good to do the same workout over & over again b/c you can exhaust those muscles & not be working others. It's a great dvd, but isn't working every muscle group.

I normally do the 30DS Monday, Wednesday, & Friday...and another workout dvd (usually from exercise tv) for the other 2 days of the week.

Just a suggestion.

I too have heard this. I thought about doing every other day with a different workout. I was thinking of doing the walk away the pounds dvd on the opposite days.
  • tamelab
    Options
    L3D2 done! I realized I simply don't have the coordination for the circuit 3 thing where you lift weights in plank, then lift your leg? I can't seem to stay up like that. :drinker:

Got another exertion headache halfway through today..grrrrr :mad: I've had a headache all week, though, so maybe not exercise-related (entirely).

Funny, I've had a bad headache this week too but I think mine is TOM related.
  • pz5wjj
    Options

I have the same problem with those! I did realize they are easier with 5lb weights because they are big enough to keep my fingers from being crushed from under the weights.

I also can't do the jumping lunges. I'm not coordinated enough!

Sorry about the headache. Are you doing South Beach or low carb? I've never had luck with them because they give me really bad head aches - if you are, try eating a little bit of carbs before you work out (Ezekiel Bread or brown rice).

But it could be something else... weather or getting sick?
  • mokabean82
    Options
    I did level 3 finally! Today will be my 29th day in a row of the Shred! I can't believe it! AND I ran a whole mile for the first time ever! In February I'm debating between doing Jillian's book Making the Cut or Mariel Hemingway's book Healthy Living from the Inside Out. :)

Read all about my journey at http://emilyroach.blogspot.com
  • mschelle
    Options

I have the same problem with those! I did realize they are easier with 5lb weights because they are big enough to keep my fingers from being crushed from under the weights.

I also can't do the jumping lunges. I'm not coordinated enough!

Sorry about the headache. Are you doing South Beach or low carb? I've never had luck with them because they give me really bad head aches - if you are, try eating a little bit of carbs before you work out (Ezekiel Bread or brown rice).

But it could be something else... weather or getting sick?

I have a hard time with the jumping lunges, too!

I am not on any diet - just counting calories. In fact, most of my diet is carbs (bad, I know, but I'm very picky and still staying under calories).

I have a history of headaches; sometimes they're weather related. Since we dropped 20 degrees in one day this past week, I think it might be that. I also get them when I eat dairy, when I sit at the computer all day, when work is extra stressful, when allergies act up, when I'm awake, etc. :wink:
  • mschelle
    Options
    L3D3 done! One more week!
  • pz5wjj
    Options
    L3D3 done! One more week!

Well done! Me too! It was easier today. I wonder if that's because I didn't do it at 5am!?

I may be taking the day off tomorrow. Not sure. Looks like our day is pretty packed with Cub Scout and Birthday Parties and such - we'll see though!
  • mschelle
    Options
    No shredding for me today :frown: After breakfast, I stood up and my lower back went :explode: :mad: :devil:

So unless it releases fully this afternoon, I'm on my back all day :sad:
  • mschelle
    Options
    L1D4 done! My back got better yesterday, but bad again this morning. Not as bad as yesterday so I worked out - but you have no idea how much your lower back plays into all these moves until you try doing them with a spas'd back! Wow! Got through it with a lot of modifications...kind of feel like I cheated, but I am still sweating like crazy and I think its better than doing nothing.
  • 33KIKI
    33KIKI Posts: 304
    Options
    So I stayed with my goal of starting February fresh and waking up early to do the Shred..I DID IT! :happy: I am proud of myself.

Today I am off to the gym also - should have listened to everyone and done the Shred in the AM I feel quite awake and alert and ready to start to the day.

For January I dropped 5.4 lbs and have lost inches...:bigsmile:

Happy Monday and have a great week!
  • pz5wjj
    Options
    Level 3 day 4 done! Took the day off yesterday and paid for it this morning! Also the wine last night may have contributed, but it was worth it! :happy:
  • tamelab
    Options
    L2D7 done...It is much easier. I went up on the weights for the most part. I am still sweating but not like I was. I will do this level on Wednesday and Friday and then I'm moving to level 3. I am going to try my best to do it 10 days in a row because I have Turbo Jam coming in about 1-1/2 weeks and I want to be finished with the Shred before I move on. Hope everyone is doing well.
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I started later in 2010 than most others, as i was getting to know my wii fit first. I am on level1,day5 today and am loving it :) I look forward to continuing and seeing changes :)
  • mschelle
    Options
    L3D5 done!!! I was an animal today! Raaawwwwrrrrr!!!!!:devil: