E-reader....yes or no?

Options

Replies

• marcf2001
    Options
    I have a Kindle (the cheap no touch one).
    I was a bit sceptic at beginning, as I was thinking I would never drop books and my eyes tire reading on a screen for long, but I love it now and the e-ink is quite easy on the eyes.
    When traveling, it is just fabulous. a 100 g and all the books you have with you.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I have a Kindle (the cheap no touch one).
    I was a bit sceptic at beginning, as I was thinking I would never drop books and my eyes tire reading on a screen for long, but I love it now and the e-ink is quite easy on the eyes.
    When traveling, it is just fabulous. a 100 g and all the books you have with you.

The device costs $100 (at the least). You still have to buy most of the books, which aren't much cheaper than the hard copies.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I like both... and besides the glare, I have really no preference as to the Kindle or the Ipad... I have an Ipad so that is what I read the most on, but I know with the Kindle, if you have Amazon Prime (and an actual Kindle device, not just the app) you can "borrow" books for as long as you want/need for free.

But I personally don't like buying an eBook that costs as much as a hard copy... so I will only buy ebooks when they are least half the price of the hard copy, otherwise I buy the hard copy.

Oh and I borrow ebooks from the library all the time too.
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    Options
    Damn you MFP and your ereader threads! I've just gone and bought one!

Ah well!

For UK readers who want a Nexus 7, this is the cheapest current way to get one:

Go via Quidco (3% Cashback when using Tesco Direct). Then click on Tesco Direct and add a Nexus to your basket. Then add some cheap batteries that are in stock that you need that takes the price over £200. Then use code TDX-KNHP at checkout. You then get a 16GB Nexus and some batteries for a combined cost of ~£175. I'm picking mine up after work from the local Tescos.

Not made it very clear here, but the Code gives you £20 off.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I loved my Nook tablet.
  • johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I have the Kindle with the keyboard and i love it... it's so light. You can read outdoors with zero problem. You can't read at night cause it's not backlit but you can get and external light that you can clip onto the Kindle cover (which you'll need to get) and you'll be all set.
  • jeolds
    jeolds Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It just depends on what all you want to use it for. I had a Nook for some time and upgraded to the Kindle Fire last year. It makes things easier in that I can purchase a book while I am at the airport and "carry" several with me that takes up less space than the physical ones I used to.

I usually travel a lot for work so the Fire started to fit better because I could read, and use it for videos as well as web pages on a bigger screen than my phone. It is all in what you plan on using it for.
  • marcf2001
    Options
    The device costs $100 (at the least). You still have to buy most of the books, which aren't much cheaper than the hard copies.

Cheap in the context of most other e-readers and tablets. Agree it is still $100 or euros.

Yes, you still have to buy the books, but most of the ebooks are cheaper than the hardcopies, esp in the US.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Cheap in the context of most other e-readers and tablets. Agree it is still $100 or euros.

Yes, you still have to buy the books, but most of the ebooks are cheaper than the hardcopies, esp in the US.

By about $1 or $2. That is not a significant level of "cheaper," especially when you have to buy the device and the publisher has saved a TON of money on publishing costs.

Some classics are available free digitally, which is worth it. But contemporary works and even many classics cost almost as much for the digital as the hard copy. I'm in the US. I have compared prices.

(And if you buy used through Amazon or Goodwill or whatever, you can get hard copies significantly cheaper than digital, which don't get discounted for being "used.")
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I will NEVER get one. I love real books.
  • allegedglobalconspiracy
    Options
    Resounding YES! I have hundreds of books on my iPad and it is possibly the best gadget I've ever bought! Highly recommended, as you do get used to it, and it's better for the planet!
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I got the Kindle app on my phone to check it out. I love that I can read while I'm out and bored (long supermarket lines) but I only get actual hardback book from my favorite authors. I just want the real book too much to go ebook on them. I did, however, try to get an ebook recently and it told me that I had too many devices registered. I only have the app, on 1 phone so I don't know what is going on there and haven't gotten it straightened out yet.
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Last February I treated myself to a Nook Tablet. I love that little thing!! It's nice to read in bed without needing a lamp on. I would recommend.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    It's more an issue of convenience than price. I use the Kindle app on my iPad and it works great. I always have my library with me. I can download books from the US store, even though I reside outside of the US (huge cost savings for me when buying outside of the US, but probably not an issue for most). I love not having to lug 2-3 books with me on each business trip. And because I carry my iPad just about everywhere with me, I always have something to read when I grab a coffee, or sit on the train. And I've moved 5 times in the past 5 years, twice internationally. I still have analog books in my home, but significantly fewer now, thanks to my Kindle app.

So, my answer is definitely yes...

--P
  • MyIrishSpirit
    MyIrishSpirit Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I got a Nook Tablet a couple months ago and I am in LOVE with it! I don't like reading on a backlit screen a lot either but I found that if you set it for "night" reading its way easier, it turns the letters white and the background a dark gray. Doesn't hurt my eyes, I get my newspaper every day delivered to it, and my favorite part is the magazines. Time and the New Yorker delivered to my Nook every week!

I love it so much that instead of earphones at the gym I bring my Nook and read while I exercise. It takes my mind off of it and I feel like I can go forever because I'm involved in my story. :)
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I love the Kindle! The anti-glare screen makes it the best, haha.
  • nbhobbes
    Options
    Whatever you do DO NOT spend the money for a Kindle or the Nook by BN.

You are way better off picking up the Nexus 7 by Google.

Here are the reasons why

1) It has the full Android OS (Unlike the kindle and the nook which have limited editions and aren't that good by comparison.)
    2) Better resolution display.
    3) You can buy things on the Amazon and BN markets with the Nexus (Aswell as the Google Play market.)
    4) If you use gmail, Google + or any other google services it wil automatically link with it.
    5) for about the same price you get essentially a tablet which fits in your jeans pocket and still works as an e-reader.
  • mmychal
    Options
    Yes. The end.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I read much more now that i have a kindle. The books are cheaper and I can move from book to book more quickly.

If you are into arcane historical subjects, you can sometimes find primary sources quickly and for free.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    YES YES YES!

I LOOOOOOVE my Kindle! It is the most awesome, most-often used thing I own! Plus, we figured out how to find free versions of ANY book online, and can transfer it to my device, so I never have to pay for another book again as long as I live. WIN!