Got really mad at the supermarket today

Options

Replies

• annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I love the comments in this thread.

I will admit that I am a parent that will give my kids "junk" during the day. I have fruit snacks, chips, cookies, candy, etc. in my house -easily accessible to my kids. BUT, I also have the fruits/veggies, whole wheat bread, lean meats and make at least 90% of my meals at home during a week. I was overweight in high school and now we are all at a healthy weight. I've taught my kids that it's ok to have the "junk" in moderation and they ask before they take it. Heck, we even have Halloween Candy just sitting out and they don't really want it. They'd much rather have an apple or popcorn or whatever I'm eating for the most part. I almost fell over one day when I walked up stairs and my son (then 6) was sitting down with a big bowl of celery for a snack - just because it was cut up in the fridge. I do limit the 'junk" they have and they know if they've had 2 sweet/junky things, they need to have a healthy snack. Kids need to know the difference between the 2 and that it's okay to have a little of the "junk", but it has to be in moderation (there are a lot of adults that haven't learned that yet :tongue: )

On to the insurance thing, it's crazy. I would love for them to pay a little of our preventive care (gyms/fitness). I teach and our district will give us an extra personal day (wellness day) a year if we don't miss a day because we get sick (while dealing with how many little bodies and germs all day) so people will come to school when they're sick just to get the extra day. I don't know why they don't give it to people that are healthy.

As far as healthy food being more expensive, I think it is to some extent. BUT, what about how much longer it fills you up? How about the energy you have to do things now and the reduced cost of buying new clothes because the old stuff was tight? What about the eating out cost (I'm sure the same people complaining are probably eating out fairly often too)? What about the Dr. visits/medication costsyou're saving? It's looks really bad to just compare how many chips you get vs how many apples you get for the same price, but I'll eat more than a serving of chips vs fruits/veg and it'll fill me up longer.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Slightly off topic but to address the ignorance issue about nutrition. Personally I think there should be a class on nutrition starting in middle school. Hell, throw a few lessons in there during science portion in elementary school! They'll teach us to care for empty egg shells and how to balance a check book, use the internet for research, all 50 states and their capitals (Which we'll forget in three months) but they wont teach us to take care of our own bodies.

But of course... nutrition isn' t on the FCAT. -_-

Actually they do, it's called health class. Most schools have them. Doesn't work, obviously. It's not the school's responsibility. It's the parents. Why don't people get this? Ah well, keep on keepin on! Just for the record, I still remember my state capitals.

I teach a week on nutrition to my sports medicine classes and even though they are required to take a health class it's still an eye opener when I tell them to look at labels and how there can be more than 1 serving in a container. Most kids don't realize that a can of soup is actually 2 servings and they have to multiple everything on the nutrition label by the servings.

I'm glad that there are people out there educating young people on nutrition. My DD took a class, it was called cooking for one. She thought it would be helpful since she was going to be going off to college. It was all about using pre packaged foods and cooking easy. I'm all for easy but even that can be healthy. She said she learned more by shopping and cooking with me.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options

I will admit that I am a parent that will give my kids "junk" during the day. I have fruit snacks, chips, cookies, candy, etc. in my house -easily accessible to my kids. BUT, I also have the fruits/veggies, whole wheat bread, lean meats and make at least 90% of my meals at home during a week. I was overweight in high school and now we are all at a healthy weight. I've taught my kids that it's ok to have the "junk" in moderation and they ask before they take it. Heck, we even have Halloween Candy just sitting out and they don't really want it. They'd much rather have an apple or popcorn or whatever I'm eating for the most part. I almost fell over one day when I walked up stairs and my son (then 6) was sitting down with a big bowl of celery for a snack - just because it was cut up in the fridge. I do limit the 'junk" they have and they know if they've had 2 sweet/junky things, they need to have a healthy snack. Kids need to know the difference between the 2 and that it's okay to have a little of the "junk", but it has to be in moderation (there are a lot of adults that haven't learned that yet :tongue: )

On to the insurance thing, it's crazy. I would love for them to pay a little of our preventive care (gyms/fitness). I teach and our district will give us an extra personal day (wellness day) a year if we don't miss a day because we get sick (while dealing with how many little bodies and germs all day) so people will come to school when they're sick just to get the extra day. I don't know why they don't give it to people that are healthy.

As far as healthy food being more expensive, I think it is to some extent. BUT, what about how much longer it fills you up? How about the energy you have to do things now and the reduced cost of buying new clothes because the old stuff was tight? What about the eating out cost (I'm sure the same people complaining are probably eating out fairly often too)? What about the Dr. visits/medication costsyou're saving? It's looks really bad to just compare how many chips you get vs how many apples you get for the same price, but I'll eat more than a serving of chips vs fruits/veg and it'll fill me up longer.

I think you said it all beautifully:flowerforyou:
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    [/quote]

In my experience it isn't that its more expensive, but it is more of hastle to spend the same now as I used to. Used to I could run to the store grab what I needed and go home. Now I have to look at the sales papers, clip coupons and alot of times I have to go to 2 or 3 stores to save extra money. I know it can be an inconvienience trying to buy healthy food on a budget and I can't emagine doing all this with a child with me. I also found that when I started eating healthy we ate out less so alot of money was saved there. However I would rather be inconvienienced rather than feed a child junk all the time.
  • annhjk
    Options

I think you said it all beautifully:flowerforyou:

Thank you - I got on a roll once I started.

PS - I liked your comments too.
  • mh3939
    mh3939 Posts: 12
    Options
    Right On!
  • mh3939
    Options
    Maybe if women didn't have to work so much, they could stay home with their children and learn how to cook healthy foods. Unfortunately, people want the American dream, and they live to compete materialistically with others. As a result, both parents work to sustain the dream, and everyone in the family suffers from the habitual drive through dilemma.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

I grew up in a household where I had access to healthy and junk food as well. I think it's really important to teach moderation to children. You can have the Kraft Mac N Cheese and be fine......just don't have it every day. Shoot.....I loved spam and mac n cheese when I was little! It was instilled in us to eat our veggies and fruit as well. MODERATION IS THE KEY! If you can get your kid to understand that your set.

I always thought it was weird when I would go to a friends house and they would have to ask permission from their parent to get a snack or have a drink.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

In my experience it isn't that its more expensive, but it is more of hastle to spend the same now as I used to. Used to I could run to the store grab what I needed and go home. Now I have to look at the sales papers, clip coupons and alot of times I have to go to 2 or 3 stores to save extra money. I know it can be an inconvienience trying to buy healthy food on a budget and I can't emagine doing all this with a child with me. I also found that when I started eating healthy we ate out less so alot of money was saved there. However I would rather be inconvienienced rather than feed a child junk all the time.
    [/quote]

Point taken, Rose...........anything worth having is worth working for.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I was amazed there were 4 servings in 1 box of mac and cheese. I do not even want to TELL you what we ate prior to my new knowledge!
  • annhjk
    Options
    Maybe if women didn't have to work so much, they could stay home with their children and learn how to cook healthy foods. Unfortunately, people want the American dream, and they live to compete materialistically with others. As a result, both parents work to sustain the dream, and everyone in the family suffers from the habitual drive through dilemma.

I don't think it's so much that both parents are working as that they aren't organized. Maybe I'm at an advantage that I'm done with work at 3:30, but I'm still able to make meals more often than do a drive thru. I'm not good at planning a menu for the week, but I know a lot of people that are, they prep as much as they can on the weekends, the night before, or even throw something in the crock pot before work in the morning. Knowing what to make is half the battle - then know what you need to do so you can come home and make a healthy supper. I still do fast food for the boys, but it's because it's a special treat - not the norm or because I don't have time to cook. There are a ton of meals that take less than 30 min. to prep.
  • JennCh
    JennCh Posts: 63
    Options
    The insurance issue is very interesting, and it made me think about how many companies offer some kind of incentive to people to work out. My husband's company paid a portion of his gym membership while he was a member, and when we decided to make our own gym his company paid for a portion of the treadmill we bought. The company being willing to help us work at being fit was great. No matter what company a person works for, he/she should contact HR and ask if the company will pick up some of the cost. If the company does not, plant the seed and push for it, maybe even going so far as to give HR info on how fit/healthy workers cost the company less in the long run.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    One day maybe we'll have health insurance policies that work like my automobile policy. They pay a portion of the preventative maintenance costs and if you do not do certain things (change oil, rotate tires, have fluids checked, etc.) on a regular basis, your policy is voided. However, if you eat right, exercise, and have regular checkups, all your ailments are covered.

As for school nutrition classes....since when do schools know anything about nutrition and healthy foods? Has anyone looked at what they serve? They cover the food groups (like I used to do), but it's not healthy food. It's food like chicken nuggets, tater tots, frozen pizza, processed beef patties, canned fruit and baked beans. Fresh veggies, fruit, and whole grains are no where to be found.
  • keiko
    Options
    One day maybe we'll have health insurance policies that work like my automobile policy. They pay a portion of the preventative maintenance costs and if you do not do certain things (change oil, rotate tires, have fluids checked, etc.) on a regular basis, your policy is voided. However, if you eat right, exercise, and have regular checkups, all your ailments are covered.

As for school nutrition classes....since when do schools know anything about nutrition and healthy foods? Has anyone looked at what they serve? They cover the food groups (like I used to do), but it's not healthy food. It's food like chicken nuggets, tater tots, frozen pizza, processed beef patties, canned fruit and baked beans. Fresh veggies, fruit, and whole grains are no where to be found.

I want your car insurance! and yes, that would be great if our health ins worked that way.

My DH was just reading an article that said the foods in fast food restaurants are higher quality than school foods. That is sad. When my kids were little we lived in a small town that had a good hot lunch program, they made most everything from scratch, subs were on fresh rolls, soups & chili were made fresh. Sadly there are not many of those left.
  • keiko
    Options

I don't think it's so much that both parents are working as that they aren't organized. Maybe I'm at an advantage that I'm done with work at 3:30, but I'm still able to make meals more often than do a drive thru. I'm not good at planning a menu for the week, but I know a lot of people that are, they prep as much as they can on the weekends, the night before, or even throw something in the crock pot before work in the morning. Knowing what to make is half the battle - then know what you need to do so you can come home and make a healthy supper. I still do fast food for the boys, but it's because it's a special treat - not the norm or because I don't have time to cook. There are a ton of meals that take less than 30 min. to prep.

My youngest begged me to work so we could eat out at McDonalds like her friend. Now she is thankful for all the homemade food and family meals we had together.

Your right about doing prep work and still being able to cook. I had times that I worked and times I didn't but I still cooked. I do think it comes down to organization and planning. Sadly that is not taught in school either.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

Health class doesn't take place in the cafeteria. Schools are trying to make an effort at becoming better.....they're not a 100% perfect yet. Informing the kids of what is good and what is bad so they can make better choices is what's most important.

Our school doesn't sell any sodas on campus and the food machines all have healthy items in them. The kids aren't even allowed to sell candy for fundraisers on campus anymore because it's not allowed.
  • Nicmc8
    Nicmc8 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I work in a supermarket... trust me when I say I see this on a daily basis. What gets me really mad is when they are paying for that junk with food stamps... the government needs to regulate what can be purchased with our tax dollars... no candy, soda, chips, etc... just the basics. I am not saying the lady you saw today was paying with food stamps or that all people on food stamps purchase junk food, I was just venting:)
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    i think you are being really judgemental. that is not a full cart of groceries for family for a day, let alone a week. those could possibly be snacks or replenishing the pantry or for special occasions (like, i don't know, NEW YEAR'S EVE). you have no idea what this women has at home in the manner of fresh fruits or veggies, or what her child is eating.
    dawn

**edited for spelling

I agree with this person. You accused her of borderline child abuse? What an insult to children who are beaten and bruised and verbally abused as well as any other kind of horrible abuse that happens in our society. They probably wish that their abuse was being given a pepsi. I think we should feed our children healthy food, do nOT get me wrong, I just think you were a bit harsh on this woman not knowing if this was for a special occasion or not. I also think we should help keep our children from being over weight and encourage them to play, but I still say you were too harsh.
  • mh3939
    Options
    Maybe they are on food stamps because they lack job skills, or an education and can only work for minimum wage. As a result, these people are going to eat bad. Why? Well, because they lack or refuse opportunities that will allow them to LEARN what a healthier lifestyle is.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Maybe they are on food stamps because they lack job skills, or an education and can only work for minimum wage. As a result, these people are going to eat bad. Why? Well, because they lack or refuse opportunities that will allow them to LEARN what a healthier lifestyle is.

As a child I went hungry.... when my mom was finally too sick to work at her 2 dollar an hour job, the Government finally gave us foodstamps. THEN we ate healthy!! Roast beef, potatoes, fresh corn, cheese, wholewheat bread.

I was 12 and taking care of a term. ill mother. We were required to go to a class teaching us about good nutrition.

edited to correct my horrible gramma..grammer...grammor...oh hell...you know