Sugar is not your friend January Challenge

Options

Replies

• 72lori
    72lori Posts: 6,756 Member
    Options

I don't make dessert daily, but it's becoming more and more expected, hubs even said so the other night. I'll do stuff like a sprite cake, banana bread, apple crisp, brownies, jello, sugar free pudding and cool whip. All stuff that is fairly inexpensive to make, cheaper than buying store bought, and better for them. But once again, am I feeding their sugar addictions? Am I making them dependent on sweets after meals?

Just MHO, but every day seems like a lot. Maybe, in the interest of moderation, cut back to once a week or so. Because I think you might be right about training a sugar addiction. I think it's a bad idea to be conditioned to think that dessert automatically comes after dinner. Just MO, but dessert was a daily (sometimes twice daily) thing in my household growing up, and I wish now that it hadn't been.

In other news, I am still strong, with few cravings.

Thats sort of my thoughts too. Dessert is not the end of dinner. I don't make stuff every day. Maybe a few times a week, a cake will last 2 nights, etc. In the summer we do much better with fresh fruits, it's harder this time of year.

I struggle between what I need to do for me and what is ok for kids. I don't buy Hostess Cupcakes and such for lunchboxes. They take Fiber One bars, animal crackers and stuff like that, so I'm not feeding them total sugar all the time.

Speaking of Hostess Cupcakes.... I was at Walmart and couldn't help but notice the heavy set woman filling her cart with Hostess and Little Debbie treats. She must have had 6 or 7 boxes of that stuff. Isn't it funny how I would have never noticed that before? Now all I could think about was the sugar and fat!

Those words have been typed by me more times than I can count.

Exactly, you are teaching your kids how to eat.
    Exactly, look at what people have in their carts and then look at the people.

Good job, V. Way to hang tough.

I think I may have been weaned on Little Debbies! I can remember eating nothing but them for days as a child (I wasn't watched very much). I would still put a hurt on a package of nutty bars or star cakes or those stupid little walnut brownies if given the chance. I would hope that they would taste awful to me, though. A few years ago I bought some hamburger helper (because I have childhood memories of loving the stuff) and I literally had to throw it away after a few bites.

Little Debbies. While I will not say they are 'num num, need more', I wouldn't say they taste terrible either. Oatmeal Creme Pies. I still find them yummo. I buy them on rare occasions for the kids, usually when we travel the 16 hours from FL to PA. Although last trip I cut them off and made banana bread instead. I couldn't stand that long in the car smelling their Little Debbie fumes in the front seat. Oh how good some of those things smell when they unwrap them. Nutty bars smell awesome!

As far as teaching my kids. I try. Yet I still want them to be kids, so sweets in moderation are around. They can eat what they want after school- within reason of course- a normal snack. If they want food after dinner, it's fruit or veges.

You should see the looks when I try and tell my 12 year old DS what he is doing to his metabolism by skipping lunch every day. As I drone on about the importance of fueling his body frequently I can see his eyes glaze over. Kids! Can't tell 'em nothin'.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong Lori. (Well you can if you want) I LOVE those oatmeal Little Debbie things. Oh Emm Gee. And when I go to the Bahamas this summer, I fully know and expect to buy a box of 12 of them every three days with a few oranges as my in-room-or-between-meal snack. Because literally in Bimini there are no choices. And Customs doesn't let ya bring in your own food.

Although, my dive pal Don brought all kinds of yummy Trader Joes treats to Roatan last month. He had to lie to Customs. They ask you if you have any guns or food? How do those two things relate to one another? I dunno.

Vacations and holidays don't count in my world. Why do you think I take so many trips?????? :wink: :tongue:
  • 72lori
    Options
    Don't get me wrong Lori. (Well you can if you want) I LOVE those oatmeal Little Debbie things. Oh Emm Gee. And when I go to the Bahamas this summer, I fully know and expect to buy a box of 12 of them every three days with a few oranges as my in-room-or-between-meal snack. Because literally in Bimini there are no choices. And Customs doesn't let ya bring in your own food.

Although, my dive pal Don brought all kinds of yummy Trader Joes treats to Roatan last month. He had to lie to Customs. They ask you if you have any guns or food? How do those two things relate to one another? I dunno.

Vacations and holidays don't count in my world. Why do you think I take so many trips?????? :wink: :tongue:

I sort of live in the same world, then come home needing to lose 8-10 pounds. I've lost those same pounds over and over since last May. :ohwell: The only good news is that it comes off quickly.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Haven't been around much (DH has the laptop on a business trip and I hate sitting at the desk, lol), but have been hanging in there. I did have 5 jelly bellies a couple of nights ago. But then again, I bought the bag for going to the movies, and didn't open it at all. DH opened it and ate half the night before he left. The open bag has been taunting me, not so much.

Tonight though, I'm having some major chocolate cravings. I have some chocolate coconut milk yogurt in the fridge. Am thinking about having a container of that with 1/4 cup sunflower seeds dumped in. I'm kinda trying to wait out the craving though, because I only ate dinner an hour ago, and it's not that I'm hungry. I just want chocolate and I know I have plenty of calories left.

One good thing about the milk allergy, I'm not just scrounging in the cupboard for the white chocolate (and milk chocolate too) chips that are in there! An interesting thing... After being told about the milk allergy, I switched over to soy milk, soy yogurt, soy cheese etc., and in two weeks I gained almost 10 lbs. I'm being a lot more careful now, bouncing between hemp milk, coconut milk (and yogurts), rice milk, almond milk, and soy milk. I've lost 5 of those 10 pounds already this week! The frustrating thing is, all these milks are soooo high in sugar. My sugar total today, according to MFP is 90mg. 36 of those are from fruits and veggies. And 53mg is from yogurts and milks. Sheesh!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    went to IHOP last night - had 2 pancakes with a little syrup....

no sweets today....period!
  • cmriverside
    Options

You can do it Chrissy.
  • chrissyh
    Options

You can do it Chrissy.

Yeah so that's blown - I've got to put a note on the fridge or something-just a little brown sugar in oatmeal with cinnamon and natural no sugar applesauce...but it's still sugar....

No Sugar, must avoid sugar, cannot have sugar.....maybe I'll remember
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Will someone please get this damn cookie off my table:mad:

They are sinful.........and oh so yummy.

Today I had fruit and veggies instead of a cookie. But there is one left. It is 280 calories!! ONE cookie! That can be an entire meal for me!

Ok............put it that way and I do not want it any longer.:ohwell:

Water is goooood mmmmmmmmmmmmm:love:
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    Last night when I was craving the chocolate, and put in the chocolate yogurt, I ended up spending an hour on the forums, and decided not to eat the yogurt. Hooo-rah
  • pettmybunny
    Options

Today I had fruit and veggies instead of a cookie. But there is one left. It is 280 calories!! ONE cookie! That can be an entire meal for me!

Step away from the cookie, Jeannie!
  • arewethereyet
    Options

Step away from the cookie, Jeannie!

I know......right Robin? Damn thing is taking on a life of it's own :laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Last night when I was craving the chocolate, and put in the chocolate yogurt, I ended up spending an hour on the forums, and decided not to eat the yogurt. Hooo-rah

that is cool. I eat much better and exercise more when I hang out with you guys
  • 72lori
    Options
    I have been doing well with my sweets in moderation thing. Right now I'm having Chex Mix issues. I don't even go for salty stuff, but I bought a huge bag for the kids really cheap and I keep finding my hand in it. My hand needs to stay OUT.
  • chrissyh
    Options
    Did well for the remainder of yesterday and so far so good...even went to starbucks and got sugar free vanilla rather than the decadent sweet creamy Mocha...actually I only use 1/2 the flavor so either one is pretty good to me....now with the extra shots (4 total) I am bouncing off the walls! Wooo HOOO!!
  • chrissyh
    Options
    I have been doing well with my sweets in moderation thing. Right now I'm having Chex Mix issues. I don't even go for salty stuff, but I bought a huge bag for the kids really cheap and I keep finding my hand in it. My hand needs to stay OUT.

When I am fixing lunches for my kids - I use a scoop and then wash my hands after to remove any smell of that kind of stuff. Keeps me from having to have "just one" - I know me and just one ain't happenin'
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Did well for the remainder of yesterday and so far so good...even went to starbucks and got sugar free vanilla rather than the decadent sweet creamy Mocha...actually I only use 1/2 the flavor so either one is pretty good to me....now with the extra shots (4 total) I am bouncing off the walls! Wooo HOOO!!

:noway: :laugh:
  • cmriverside
    Options

This is so true! Marla posted this on fb a couple days ago, and of course I swiped it.........

Self-control — or lack of it — is contagious
    Friends with amazing restraint are healthy to have around, study suggests

When you refrain from scarfing down unhealthy foods or hold back on that extra drink, others may deserve some of the credit. Self-control is contagious, a new study suggests.

In a series of studies in a lab setting, researchers found that watching or even thinking about someone with good self-control makes others more likely to show the same restraint.

And they found the opposite also holds true — people with lousy self-control influence others negatively. The effect is so powerful, in fact, that just seeing the name of someone with good or bad self-control flashing on a screen for 10 milliseconds changed the behavior of volunteers.

Here's the whole article.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34881243/ns/health-behavior/
  • arewethereyet
    Options

This is so true! Marla posted this on fb a couple days ago, and of course I swiped it.........

Self-control — or lack of it — is contagious
    Friends with amazing restraint are healthy to have around, study suggests

When you refrain from scarfing down unhealthy foods or hold back on that extra drink, others may deserve some of the credit. Self-control is contagious, a new study suggests.

In a series of studies in a lab setting, researchers found that watching or even thinking about someone with good self-control makes others more likely to show the same restraint.

And they found the opposite also holds true — people with lousy self-control influence others negatively. The effect is so powerful, in fact, that just seeing the name of someone with good or bad self-control flashing on a screen for 10 milliseconds changed the behavior of volunteers.

Here's the whole article.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34881243/ns/health-behavior/

So, we are only as skinny as the company we keep?

Hot DOG I am going to be thin!!! :heart: Jeannie
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    So, I just walked through the dining room and noticed one of the kids snacks.... banana slices with peanut butter. Yum, healthy and nutritious (we make them eat fruit if they want a snack after school). Until you look at the fact that the kid packed probably a tablespoon of peanut butter on each of the banana slices:noway: :noway: :noway:

So, I sat down and pointed out the label (they already know how to read serving sizes, I showed them last year, when we were going through a bag of chips every day). Two tablespoons is a serving, is 180 calories, 160 of that was fat calories... blah blah blah. Kid was practically rolling his eyes. I told him that while it wasn't that he needed to watch his weight now, look at me, his dad, his mom, his stepdad. We're all overweight. And I pointed out that maybe if our parents had taught us how to properly eat, maybe we wouldn't look like we do now, etc.

I got done, and was walking away, and out comes his dad... asking if the kid felt like I was nagging. Ummmmm what???? Lets not back me up here or anything... Jerk!
  • kaytbognar
    Options
    I succumbed today. Ate that Coco Blanco sweet that our housekeeper gave me. Oh gosh, it was SO SWEET, and so delicious.

Luckily, it didn't set off any other sugary cravings, so I think I am safe. And proud of myself for waiting until I really wanted it instead of just showing it in my face.