Sugar is not your friend January Challenge

Options

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Ended up in the Valentine's aisle at the drugstore after a bad teaching day. (one of those days that I felt like I was talking to a painting of a group of students instead of people. . .ugh.) Managed to make a u-turn into the nail polish section. Left with four new bottles of polish (hey, they were on sale and I have an addiction to them) but no chocolate. I now have lavendar-y pinkish nails that are sugar-free.

fighting the urge to om nom nom some salty sweet peanut butter chocolate combo in my chompers.

But, staying strong.

kayt, good job deferring gratification. I suck at that. I am of the "shove it in my mouth immediately" school. . .but I'm working on it.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    So I made black bean brownies tonight. Saw the recipe on another thread and thought I'd try it. I did find a different recipe though, that was tweaked to avoid my allergies. Here it is...

Ingredients
    •15 ounces black beans, drained and rinsed
    •2 whole bananas
    •0.33 cup agave nectar
    •0.25 cup unsweetened cocoa
    •1 tbsp cinnamon
    •1 tsp vanilla extract
    •0.25 cup raw sugar (optional)
    •0.25 cup instant oats

Instructions:
    Preheat oven to 350F. Grease anf 8x8" pan and set aside. Combine all ingredients, except oats, in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth, scrapping sides as needed. Stir in the oats and pour batter into the pan. Bake approx 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool before slicing Chef's Note: if you find these brownies are too soft or too fudgey, add another 1/4 cup oats or flour.

I almost don't want to count it as having sugar, since I only used the agave nectar and not the sugar. I started out cutting it into 12 squares, but then after trying one, cut all of them in half again, they are rich. Or maybe avoiding added sugars has sensitized me to the sweetness???? Shazaam!, She can be tought!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    I now have lavendar-y pinkish nails that are sugar-free.

Me too! Mine is called "India Mood For Love" (which I'm NOT, thankyouverymuch)

That, right there, made my day. Nail polish is one of the great joys of my life. Sugar doesn't even come close to nail polish.

...........my day sucked too, and I have no idea why.

Nite, all.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    So I made black bean brownies tonight. Saw the recipe on another thread and thought I'd try it. I did find a different recipe though, that was tweaked to avoid my allergies. Here it is...

Ingredients
    •2 whole bananas
    •0.33 cup agave nectar
    •1 tbsp cinnamon
    •1 tsp vanilla extract
    •0.25 cup instant oats

Instructions:
    Preheat oven to 350F. Grease anf 8x8" pan and set aside. Combine all ingredients, except oats, in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth, scrapping sides as needed. Stir in the oats and pour batter into the pan. Bake approx 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool before slicing Chef's Note: if you find these brownies are too soft or too fudgey, add another 1/4 cup oats or flour.

I almost don't want to count it as having sugar, since I only used the agave nectar and not the sugar. I started out cutting it into 12 squares, but then after trying one, cut all of them in half again, they are rich. Or maybe avoiding added sugars has sensitized me to the sweetness???? Shazaam!, She can be tought!

Wow-- I'm sorry, but this just sounds sooo unappealing.

Maybe it has something to do with my black bean/kidney bean/chick pea medley that I'd had stored in my fridge to put on my salads. Apparently, they didn't like sitting stored together in the fridge, and the gasses all mixed and just about blew out the Tupperware lid-- the whole fridge stunk, and I had to throw out the container-- total, total blech.

Black bean brownies? Maybe not.
  • pettmybunny
    Options

Ingredients
    •2 whole bananas
    •0.33 cup agave nectar
    •1 tbsp cinnamon
    •1 tsp vanilla extract
    •0.25 cup instant oats

Instructions:

Wow-- I'm sorry, but this just sounds sooo unappealing.

Maybe it has something to do with my black bean/kidney bean/chick pea medley that I'd had stored in my fridge to put on my salads. Apparently, they didn't like sitting stored together in the fridge, and the gasses all mixed and just about blew out the Tupperware lid-- the whole fridge stunk, and I had to throw out the container-- total, total blech.

Black bean brownies? Maybe not.

Yeah, I was willing to try it (there's a kid on Brandon's swim team who is allergic to everything and never gets to eat when we have banquets--I'm looking for recipies that I can make that he can have). My husband said he didn't like them, mainly because he knew what was in it he thought... Three kids were afraid to try it, one kid didn't like the consistency (they were soft and gooey in the middle), one kid said they were good, and one kid had 2 of them. If I make them again, I'm going to cut the cinnamon (it was all I could taste) to a teaspoon, and increase the cocoa and vanilla a bit. I'm also going to use a bigger pan, because I just couldn't get the middle to dry out at all, so I'm thinking thinner brownies, less middle gooeyness.

I also made my own pizza last night, making my own dough and using soy mozzarella cheese. It was divine! No more pouting because I can't eat what eveyone else is having!
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    So, I just had to come on this morning and brag a bit. Last night I had the munchies. Major munchies. I was already at my calories for the day, but I just didn't really care. I had a bowl out on the counter and was digging in the freezer looking for the tofutti chocolate cookie crunch I know was in there. As my fingers gripped the frozen treat, I stood up, closed the door, and backed away. I walked to the bathroom and stepped on the scale. I saw what I weighed (and yes, I had weighed that morning, and yes, I know you gain during the day due to food and water, etc). I got off the scale, walked back to the kitchen, and put away the bowl.

I was (and am) just so damn proud of myself! Sugar is not my friend!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    So, I just had to come on this morning and brag a bit. Last night I had the munchies. Major munchies. I was already at my calories for the day, but I just didn't really care. I had a bowl out on the counter and was digging in the freezer looking for the tofutti chocolate cookie crunch I know was in there. As my fingers gripped the frozen treat, I stood up, closed the door, and backed away. I walked to the bathroom and stepped on the scale. I saw what I weighed (and yes, I had weighed that morning, and yes, I know you gain during the day due to food and water, etc). I got off the scale, walked back to the kitchen, and put away the bowl.

Good for you!! WOOT!!! *insert cute woot emoticon here*
    (I just went to photobucket and got a red security warning.....so everyone BEWARE if you don't have virus protection!!!) anyway....

I was just on the "Adultery Diet" thread and I really needed some good news, so thanks, pettmy! :flowerforyou:

I realized when I got up this morning that it is the 24th already, and I've had honey on three days this month - but NO sugar. Why is that? Because sugar is not my friend. :glasses:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

{{{{{{{{{{{{{Applause}}}}}}} That is awesome.

Sugar is NOT our friend:angry:

(btw I walked past the elephant ears at the Swap Shop yesterday!! and got an ear of corn instead!!]
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    MMMMM elephant ears. That is willpower Jeannie!
  • Marla64
    Options
    :grumble: Why do I never know what anyone's talking about?

Elephant ears? :huh:
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    I don't know what's in elephant ears, but it's a big round flat fried sweet dough that is covered in cinnamon sugar. If I remember correctly, there's syrups you can pour over them too. It's been forever and a half since I've had an elephant ear.
  • arewethereyet
    Options

:laugh: Sorry Miss Marla!! Robin is right ....they are HUGE fried dough with sugar...........and more sugar......:love:

Had an ear of corn
  • 72lori
    72lori Posts: 6,756 Member
    Options
    Sugar is not my friend, but I've been playing with it too much lately.

Needing to reel my moderation back in... it's been slipping away. I've been indulging way too much. Quite frankly, I've been in a mood for several days. TOM is nearing and I've had a brutal month with PMS (which I NEVER do) and I haven't given two diddly craps what I ate.

Just one of those things I suppose. Tomorrow is a new day, I am going to work on a new attitude. I need to remember sugar is not my friend. My extra pudgy belly is reaffirming that.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    You wanna know what I saw in the drugstore today? A (insert expletive here) Cadbury Creme Egg. Are you kidding me? I just took my Christmas decorations down three weeks ago.

And (insert another expletive here), I wanted the thing. Didn't.

going on my tenth day since my last sugar, and will allow one serving again on Feb. 1st. Until then, the egg can suck eggs.
  • Marla64
    Options

:laugh: Sorry Miss Marla!! Robin is right ....they are HUGE fried dough with sugar...........and more sugar......:love:

Had an ear of corn

Sounds yummy--
  • Marla64
    Options
    You wanna know what I saw in the drugstore today? A (insert expletive here) Cadbury Creme Egg. Are you kidding me? I just took my Christmas decorations down three weeks ago.

And (insert another expletive here), I wanted the thing. Didn't.

going on my tenth day since my last sugar, and will allow one serving again on Feb. 1st. Until then, the egg can suck eggs.

LOVE Cadbury Crème Eggs--

I'll refrain until Easter-- I hope. :wink:
  • Marla64
    Options

Needing to reel my moderation back in... it's been slipping away. I've been indulging way too much. Quite frankly, I've been in a mood for several days. TOM is nearing and I've had a brutal month with PMS (which I NEVER do) and I haven't given two diddly craps what I ate.

Just one of those things I suppose. Tomorrow is a new day, I am going to work on a new attitude. I need to remember sugar is not my friend. My extra pudgy belly is reaffirming that.

Lori-- you got a lot on your mind-- it's all good. You'll get 'er back in gear-- you know what to do.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Did well with sugar and cals this weekend. Even exercised a lot. Now I am sick as a dog.Crap.:frown:

Maybe THAT will help me kick start my loss:ohwell:
  • arewethereyet
    Options

Had an ear of corn

Sounds yummy--

:sad: I wouldn't knooooooow:sad:
  • arewethereyet
    Options

Lori, could it be that along with these issues comes the news of deployment for DH? I know for me I get physically ill when I have stress...........my body knows before my mind does.

{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}} Jeannie