Sugar is not your friend January Challenge

Options

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Dang. I STILL can't find China Glaze. :grumble: oooooh maybe Internet........

Do You have Sally Beauty Supply in your area? Because they carry it. I raid them whenever I spend time in the states.

Yes, we do. And now I remember someone who works there telling me they have it. FYI can't buy it online either...

Victoria Nail Supply carries it, and will ship it.

Since nail polish is considered "hazardous material". . .no one can ship it internationally. Boo!

Hey, check it out. Total threadjack!

We now resume our regularly scheduled discussion of being strong sugar-free sisters. Brothers welcome, too.:flowerforyou:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Dang. I STILL can't find China Glaze. :grumble: oooooh maybe Internet........

Do You have Sally Beauty Supply in your area? Because they carry it. I raid them whenever I spend time in the states.

Yes, we do. And now I remember someone who works there telling me they have it. FYI can't buy it online either...

Victoria Nail Supply carries it, and will ship it.

Since nail polish is considered "hazardous material". . .no one can ship it internationally. Boo!

Hey, check it out. Total threadjack!

We now resume our regularly scheduled discussion of being strong sugar-free sisters. Brothers welcome, too.:flowerforyou:

Hazardous, LOL. Yeah, that's why airport security "Pulled me over" last time I flew. There were two bottles of nail polish in my purse I forgot about.

Oddly, the small switchblade knife on my keychain made it through, tho. :noway:

Want me to send you any particular colors?

OH AND:

Sugar free as always.
  • kaytbognar
    Options
    ...I love OPI but I sadly can't use it on my fingernails becuase of work, the idea of person gunk getting stuck up under fingerpolish just...ICKS me out. I have funky and fun yellow and green for my toes though!

BUT, another long-lasting polish brand that the girls at my old spa liked was called Spa Rituals. They had a white my old roommate loved. DO NOT BUY Orly (O RLY!) nailpolish cuase it's sucky and doesn't last. Except the Orange Punch colour, that one lasted foreeeeever.

Cheryl, what's a touch up brush?

I meannnnnnn...I don't eat sugar, and haven't for just about month! (...with the exception of that one time...werp) That went pretty fast!
  • gabrielled
    gabrielled Posts: 247 Member
    Options

I swear if I don't exercise I want to eat lots more. Especially at night. What's that about?

I have no scientific backup for this, but I think it's endorphins, pure and simple. I get the same "wheeeee!" after an exercise session that I do during a sugar buzz. And, if I'm missing that, I find a place to get it. (check it, I'm a "wheeeee!" junkie)

On a slightly more scientific note, if your body thinks it's tired (night-time, but you keep going) it does crave energy, and sugar is certainly the surest form.

Guess what I learned from my diabetic student? From around 10pm - 3am your body produces very little insulin. If you are awake, or burning the midnight oil, it isn't just oil you are burning. You burn through the insulin your body produces very quickly, thus the late night cravings, and the early morning low blood sugar. We need sleep. Not just for our mental abilities, but so we can help our bodies correctly metabolize the energy we feed it.
  • TwentyTen
    TwentyTen Posts: 585
    Options
    Kicking sugar is my toughest challenge. It goes into the coffee daily, and alot of it. Other than that I can easily avoid sweets. It's a bad bad habit since I was a kid. I know I will not progress until I can kick that, and I have never so far been successful for more than a few days. It's all or nothing for me with the coffee/sugar . I don't even keep coffee in the house, but it flows freely at work. It's evil! Preparing my head now to take on and break that habit once and for all, as I am certain, above all other things, that it is the reason the weight sticks. I wasn't here In January for this challenge, but I am here now, and know that the motivation i find here can help me do this!
  • cmriverside
    Options

I swear if I don't exercise I want to eat lots more. Especially at night. What's that about?

I have no scientific backup for this, but I think it's endorphins, pure and simple. I get the same "wheeeee!" after an exercise session that I do during a sugar buzz. And, if I'm missing that, I find a place to get it. (check it, I'm a "wheeeee!" junkie)

On a slightly more scientific note, if your body thinks it's tired (night-time, but you keep going) it does crave energy, and sugar is certainly the surest form.

Guess what I learned from my diabetic student? From around 10pm - 3am your body produces very little insulin. If you are awake, or burning the midnight oil, it isn't just oil you are burning. You burn through the insulin your body produces very quickly, thus the late night cravings, and the early morning low blood sugar. We need sleep. Not just for our mental abilities, but so we can help our bodies correctly metabolize the energy we feed it.

THAT is reeeeeeaalllly interesting ( I say "Interesting" a lot..) and it makes sense. Yet another reason to get to bed by 10.

and Kayt:
    Cheryl, what's a touch up brush?

I don't know. I didn't say that :huh:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.... Cheryl, I just got back from the gym. I worked hard. Followed the plan the PT gave me on Monday. Today was cardio and strength training. I decided to use the treadmill, since I don't usually like it, I prefer the big burners so I could eat more. Since my RD says no more exercise calories to eat, it doesn't matter anymore. Anyways, warm up 5 min (3.0 to 3.2 halfway through), 2 minutes 3.5, 2 minutes 3.8 and repeat until my time was done. Didn't feel too tough, so I upped the incline, and did the 3.8 for 3 minutes instead of 2. Whooo the higher incline kicked my booty. My average HR throughout was 167, and I had a high of 179. Obviously, I was working hard. After 45 minutes, still no endorphins:sad: :sad: :sad: Then I did the weight machines, and I actually added 5 pounds to everything and really pushed myself. I fatigued usually before 10, on a couple, I could only make 6 reps. I did two sets, and still no endorphins:sad: :sad: :sad: I spent 15 minutes stretching and came home. Made my dinner, am typing this while I eat, then I will shower.

Where the heck are my friggin' endorphins????? I'm gettin' gyped! lol

Anyways, tonight we are going to the theater. It's easier for me than it used to be, because now I can't have buttery popcorn. Last time I took a few circus peanuts with me (soooo dang sweet you can't overeat those). This time, I made a snack bag to take with me. (And yes, I am consciously making the decision to take some chocolate--milk free semi sweet morsels). I have 4 cups of popcorn that I made, with 32 of my semi-sweet morsels, and an ounce of almonds thrown in. I taste tested and decided it needed something more, so I mixed 1/2 tsp cocoa powder with 1 tsp of splenda and sprinkled that over the whole concoction. Yummy! And not too tremendously bad for me. Definitely within my calories for the day.
  • kaytbognar
    Options
    Sorry Cheryl, I'm clearly in sugar withdrawal and it's going to my head. (really, I think it's the coffee pollen/allergy medication I've been taking. It's turned me into a helium balloon!)
  • cmriverside
    Options

It's an "after" thing for me. Didn't you feel great after? If not, then yeah, you're getting' gypped or gyped or howeryouspellit. Do you take a lot of supplements or prescriptions? dunno.gif

Oh, Pettmy, edit to add - I put olive oil and cajun seasoning on my popcorn. I swear I'm gonna package it and make millions. Butter = too much saturated fat. So I've pretty much eliminated it anyway and use olive oil. Not the extra virgin stuff. The regular olive oil. yummmmm. Maybe that's why I get endorphins.........pffffffft. Right.

Oh, wait, that's Kayt! :wink:
    Sorry Cheryl, I'm clearly in sugar withdrawal and it's going to my head. (really, I think it's the coffee pollen/allergy medication I've been taking. It's turned me into a helium balloon!)
  • pettmybunny
    Options

It's an "after" thing for me. Didn't you feel great after? If not, then yeah, you're getting' gypped or gyped or howeryouspellit. Do you take a lot of supplements or prescriptions? dunno.gif

Oh, Pettmy, edit to add - I put olive oil and cajun seasoning on my popcorn. I swear I'm gonna package it and make millions. Butter = too much saturated fat. So I've pretty much eliminated it anyway and use olive oil. Not the extra virgin stuff. The regular olive oil. yummmmm. Maybe that's why I get endorphins.........pffffffft. Right.

I didn't feel great after. Kinda sick feeling actually, but that went away after I ate. Now I just want to curl up and snooze. Unfortunately, we have that movie to go to tonight. As to supplements, I just take a multivitamin, extra iron (always been borderline anemic), and a daily allergy pill (zyrtec). Generally, I'm pretty healthy. I just wish I got a buzz from working out. It might make it worth it, lol.
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    So yeah, just got back from gelato. Had a small (think child's size) and left satisfied.

It's been thirty minutes since I last used.

Oddly, I feel like it was a positive thing. I got to practice moderation, and really enjoy what I was eating versus just random gluttony by myself.

Anyways, re-booting.
  • kaytbognar
    Options
    Mmmm...what kind of gelato did you get, V? I must live vicaryously through you. Last time I had any kind of ice cream was back in November when we had a visiting vegan chef make this amaaaazing vegan pumpkin ice cream.

Well done on mederating :) Just think, you COULD ahve gone to Dutch Dreams (up at st Clair W. and Bathurst--ever been?) and had an enoooooormous banana split, covered in (you guessed it) whipped cream :P
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    Hi kayt,

If you must know, I had marscapone (dairy double whammy) and chocolate hazelnut. It was very good, but not amazingly good (which made me glad, because I literally get to/have to walk by it multiple times every day.

I've been to Dutch Dreams, but I'm a fan of "Il Gelataria" on Mount Pleasant and I forget. . .their gelato is actually transcendent. The family is from Rome, and used to operate a gelataria in Rome, apparently. Also, most of their fruit flavours are completely dairy free (file that away for when you come back to town).:wink:

anyways, feeling strong today. Even passed up cookies at coffee hour at church. Almost picked one up without thinking. It's amazing to me how in social situations I start to eat something completely not realizing that I'm doing it.

Oh, and Cheryl, guess what I found yesterday about ten minutes away from my apartment? A Sally Beauty Supply. I actually squealed with delight, as when I first moved up here, they were states only. I'm going to start asking the universe for more things.:laugh:
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Gelato in Vegas at the Venetian. I'm finding more and more reasons to go to Vegas. Too bad it's $6 a scoop. Totally worth it. Pistachio for me, please. :flowerforyou:

Kay and V are from the same town? Two of my favorite mfpers? - you two could get in all kinds of trouble. And apparently paint each others' nails with China Glaze from Sallys. :smile:
  • cmriverside
    Options
    And now more about sugar and late night.

Last night at 9:15 when I settled into the last act of my movie, I really wanted something sweet. I remembered what someone said yesterday about the insulin our body doesn't produce between 10PM and 3AM and I was able to relax about the cravings. I had just eaten popcorn, so maybe it hadn't kicked in yet, but I was thrilled to have some physiological factoid to grab onto to keep me away from the kitchen.
  • kaytbognar
    Options
    Hi kayt,

If you must know, I had marscapone (dairy double whammy) and chocolate hazelnut. It was very good, but not amazingly good (which made me glad, because I literally get to/have to walk by it multiple times every day.

I've been to Dutch Dreams, but I'm a fan of "Il Gelataria" on Mount Pleasant and I forget. . .their gelato is actually transcendent. The family is from Rome, and used to operate a gelataria in Rome, apparently. Also, most of their fruit flavours are completely dairy free (file that away for when you come back to town).:wink:

EEEP! Il Gelateria is RIGHT in my old neighbourhood--I used to live at davisville/mt pleasant in those apartment complexes. I remember how tasty their gelato is, though I can't recall which flavors I tried. I think they're way better than the Hollywood Gelato place on Bayview (if you can't been there, don't bother, the lineups are huge and there's this irritating duck on a bicycle with an ice-cream cone out front that just...really rubs me the wrong way) Awwwwe, nostalgia and homesick for the neighborhood now :( I can wait 'til May, though, when I can ride my bike comfortably.

Side note: I was sixteen the first time I had gelato, in Rome, no less. I thiiiiink that I had nutella and rasberry? I think the BEST gelato I've ever had was limoncello stuff I got in Capri, possibly becuase it took me four hours to travel to get it. Uhm....Anyone want to go to Italy with me? (...anyone got a teleporter?)

TEE-DAWT, Cheryl. Represent! Hahaha, you should come for a visit and we can all not-eat-sugar together. (Dear universe--guiltless, all natural, calorie and sugar free gelato in wide ranges of flavours please!)

Wanted sugar--craving President's Choice wildflower honey for some reason, I could eat the stuff by the JAR, very glad I can't get my hands on it. Skipped the generic honey we have in the kitchen and played with my yo-yo for an hour instead (while listening to yo-yo ma! The amusement I got from that was sweeter than honey ANYway.)
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    I did not have cake and frosting today at my niece's birthday party. As much as I complain about these allergies, it does make saying "no" a lot easier. I have a built in excuse, and immediate punishment system in place when I do indulge. Ha ha I did take the leftover 3 cups of popcorn and sprinkled that with a bit of cocoa powder mixed with some splenda. DH started dipping in my bag for some, then said that after the cake, it didn't seem very good. That whole sweet level thing. When I had it last night, it made my toes curl, especially when I hit the first chocolate chip. I didn't put any chocolate chips in my bag today. Just the flavoring sprinkle I made.

All this talk of ice creams and gelato... YUMMMMM
  • gabrielled
    Options

Last night at 9:15 when I settled into the last act of my movie, I really wanted something sweet. I remembered what someone said yesterday about the insulin our body doesn't produce between 10PM and 3AM and I was able to relax about the cravings. I had just eaten popcorn, so maybe it hadn't kicked in yet, but I was thrilled to have some physiological factoid to grab onto to keep me away from the kitchen.

You are welcome! I thank my student every day. Teachers learn as much from students as they learn from us, maybe even more!
  • gabrielled
    Options
    I did not have cake and frosting today at my niece's birthday party. As much as I complain about these allergies, it does make saying "no" a lot easier. I have a built in excuse, and immediate punishment system in place when I do indulge. Ha ha I did take the leftover 3 cups of popcorn and sprinkled that with a bit of cocoa powder mixed with some splenda. DH started dipping in my bag for some, then said that after the cake, it didn't seem very good. That whole sweet level thing. When I had it last night, it made my toes curl, especially when I hit the first chocolate chip. I didn't put any chocolate chips in my bag today. Just the flavoring sprinkle I made.

All this talk of ice creams and gelato... YUMMMMM

Gelato is kinda neat. I have been thinking of playing around with recipes and creating something 'healthy'. Pumpkin cheesecake is what I'm thinkin'.
  • cmriverside
    Options

You are welcome! I thank my student every day. Teachers learn as much from students as they learn from us, maybe even more!

Gabrielled,

Yep, kids can be pretty smart. I couldn't remember your screen name earlier when I wrote that. . . . .& I was too lazy to close out the post and go back for the name. So Thank You Gabrielle's student!

Signed,

Waiting for the Universe to show Gabrielle how to make sugar-free-guilt-free-Pumpkin-Cheesecake-Gelato. crush.gif