What is with all the stipulations when friending someone?

Options
Gurlyknockout
Gurlyknockout Posts: 115 Member
What is with all the stipulations when friending someone on here?

I have read on many people bios that you…..A) Have to send them a message when friending them; of when and why your friending them. B) You can’t have too less of a calorie intake C)You have to log in all the time unless you have a excuse, D) Be a frequent commenter E)You have to engage with the person on a regular basis F)No people with a eating disorder.

WOW! That’s a lot of stipulations of being ones interwebs friend. I am new here but I guess there are many who have ed's that you have to put that in your bio? Are these stipulations common to being ones friend on here? Or are these people extreme?

Replies

• lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    They may have had some bad experiences with mismatched interweb friendships. It has happened to me a few times. As much as we'd like to believe we're all here for the same reason....there are a lot of people out there with a way different approach and philosophy to weight loss and maintenance. I'm a 'eat more to weigh less' person and seeing constant posts in your news feed from a friends who eat less than a 1000 calories a day not positive, motivating or inspiring to me. I think people are just trying to cultivate a list of like minded friends. Although I admit when I was a newbie on here and saw people with restrictions to who their friends could be I thought it was kind of arrogant and pompous. Now i get it!
  • guapogringo
    Options
    Too many creepers! Plus you are known by the company you keep.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I agree with lizziebeth. I am not in the business of "collecting" friends. I like to keep my friend list manageable because I like to remember who my friends are and why we connected in the first place. For me, having hundreds and hundreds of anonymous friends defeats the purpose.
  • juicy011
    juicy011 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    yeah..... that's way too complicated. If you're hot it's motivation & a YES! :)

edit : but..... I usually don't accept if their profile's not OPEN to read about them
  • Colonel_Brandon
    Colonel_Brandon Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    But all of you must admit - when you're new, you don't discriminate. It's the friendships you make initially that last the longest. And you didn't discriminate against them.... right? Just playing devil's advocate :)
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    My personal one is that you send a message with your FR. Especially if we've never talked or bantered on the board before. If you don' t, that's a red flag creeper.
  • Gurlyknockout
    Options
    Yes I understand not wanting the ed around you but C, D, & E? Just seems a bit much. It’s almost a job in its self to be the person’s friend.
  • VTXJOCKEY
    VTXJOCKEY Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    It almost appears snobbish.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Would you walk up next to a person and not say a word and expect them to consider you a friend? Same thing here.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    As long as they are friends with Brett, they must be good people.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is referred to as the hero trump card \m/
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    It's called having high expectations? I suppose. I don't know.

I'm easy. I just friend whoever friends me and if I see someone really interesting on the forums I'll friend them. :)
  • Gurlyknockout
    Options
    But all of you must admit - when you're new, you don't discriminate. It's the friendships you make initially that last the longest. And you didn't discriminate against them.... right? Just playing devil's advocate :)

My favorite play of them all :wink:
  • juicy011
    juicy011 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It almost appears snobbish.

^^^^^ this
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is referred to as the hero trump card \m/

*slapfight* Stop this both of you! No one friend me! I won't accept, you hear me!
  • Chapter3point6
    Options
    yeah..... that's way too complicated. If you're hot it's motivation & a YES! :)

edit : but..... I usually don't accept if their profile's not OPEN to read about them

Right now is as good of time as any to OPEN my profile :bigsmile:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Would you walk up next to a person and not say a word and expect them to consider you a friend? Same thing here.

If I just walked up to you and started touching your pecs, would you consider me a friend?
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I've been here 625 days. My only "stipulation" is I'd like a quick note. I get too many creepers otherwise. If you can't send one sentence, why do you want to be friends? I interact with all my friends we motivate and inspire each other, that requires more than 1 sentence. If not, why bother? This isn't facebook with friend collectors. We're here to be healthy.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    If I just walked up to you and started touching your pecs, would you consider me a friend?

I'd touch yours back.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lot of stipulations but this isn't Facebook, either, and I am not collecting friends. I want people who will support me as much as I do them. And if they have an eating disorder, I cant really help with that. I have tried and I just end up sad over it. That sort of person needs a special kind of interaction with someone who has been in their position and come out of it. I cant identify with that.