Ghosts/spirits/unexplainable happenings??

Options

Replies

• NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I always love these threads..keep em' coming. Love it!!! :-)
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Our house is a very old victorian house built b4 the civil war by a naval captain. Our children swear they've seen a man wearing a uniform walking around the house but my husband and I have never seen anything. Kids say they've seen things move or heard things moving around in their rooms when they're trying to sleep. They hear foot steps etc. They've taken photos in the basement where youc can see a weird fog type thing in the image but as a former photographer to me it looks like something wrong with the camera itself. When the images are downloaded the fog doesn't show up. Its only visible on the screen on the back of the camera but only visible on those particular frames so strange for sure.

After my dad passed away I've seen him standing in door ways around my house and my mothers. I've heard him talk to me, turn around and he's not there. Probably just my imagination. I'm sure I was just thinking of him and thought I heard his voice or something. I've also had dreams about my dad where we have our usual deep discussions about things. Be it super natural or not I find it very comforting that I still see my dad or hear him.
  • marylovehellokitty
    Options
    bump
  • gregre04
    Options
    When I bought my house it was about 75 years old. I remember waking up one morning to hear a creaking sound, sort of like an old rocking chair or stepping on a lose board. I SO want to stop breathing because I didn't want anyone or anything to hear me.
  • silentnemesis
    silentnemesis Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If you guys want to do your own investigating, I've tested an EMF meter app on my droid, it works perfectly (tested it with a UPC scanner at work) it reads electromagnetic frequencies very accurately!

so give it a whirl and see what you come up with, I've tested it in the park late at night and gotten some unexplainable things... just remember if you use it in your house, there could be interference from wires running through your walls
  • nikinonsense
    Options
    My mom had an old clock that was supposed to chime and it had a pendulum that she got from my grandparents' house. I think it was about a year after they died. She took it into a clock repairman and he got it to work but said it would never chime because something was broken in it. She put it on the bookshelf in the basement. One day she was down there and the clock chimed 5 times. It wasn't 5:00. It never chimed again. She thinks it was my grandparents. My mom is one of 5 kids and she thinks that's why it chimed 5 times.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love ghost stories and the like. So I gotta chime in with mine.
    About 20 years ago, I was a student and my program had a quarter that we spent in Washington, D.C. I had to write an article, and, as I have always been the type who has to test boundaries, instead of writing about government or some momentous D.C. event, I decided to write about ghosts.
    You see, when I got out to the area, I started hearing all these ghost stories. And, I found out that the D.C. region, from Gettysburg to Richmond, Va., has a great tradition of such stories. Some say it has to do with the Civil War, that there were so many violent deaths in the area that it left its imprint. Indeed, Harpers Ferry has about five or six well-known ghosts, and they are mostly soldiers or connected to the war somehow.
    Anyway, in the course of researching this article, I heard of a married couple that had a ghost in their house and I called them up.
    The wife told me their story. She said they bought a big, beautiful, old farm house in rural Maryland and fixed it up. Shortly after they moved in strange things began to happen. Objects they were sure they had left in a particular place would disappear and turn up someplace else, someplace where they would never put that object.
    They would come home after being out and find that the long rug that they had laid down in the upstairs hallway and been pushed into a bunch all the way down the hall into their bedroom at the end. She said it was just as if a child had come along and noticed the rug slipped, and jumped on it to slide down the hall.
    But, here is the really weird thing about it. When they straightened out the rug, they would often find some object hidden in the bunches. Once, it was the tie from the curtains in one of the bedrooms.
    She said that the things that happened usually seemed like things a child would do -- like slide on a rug -- and the unexplained events often centered, somehow, on that bedroom with the curtains.
    One night, for instance, they were going out. It was during Christmas time and they had put electric candles in each of the front windows. Well, since they were leaving, they turned all the candles out. And, they went out to the garage, which was in back of the house, and got in their car and drove out along their long circular driveway, which curved around by the front of their house. As they passed, they noticed the candle in that particular bedroom was lit. Each of them accused the other of leaving it on by mistake, and neither really remembered whether they had turned it off or not.
    So they parked the car and went back in and turned the light out, and then left again. As they rolled by the front of the house, they looked up and the light was back on.
    Over time, this couple got used to their quirky house. They did not feel threatened by the happenings, so they started to accept them as a matter of the routine. They learned that there had been a little boy who had died while living in the house, in the garage, asphyxiated because a car was left running -- many, many years before.
    A few years later, it was tax time. They had all their pay stubs and receipts and everything related in a small box. One minute the box was on the counter in the kitchen, and the next, it was gone. Well, at first they did not think much of it and they just looked for the box. But, when it failed to turn up, and they got frustrated, they began to suspect it was their ghost. It was the kind of thing he would do.
    They continued searching, looking in the kind of places where he would put things, or where he had in the past. They still found nothing, and a few days passed. But now they were up against their tax deadline and they began to get frantic.
    The wife said that she had heard, somewhere, that ghosts did not know they were dead, and if you tell them they are dead, and ask them to leave you alone, they often will. So, in her frustration and anger over the missing tax documents, she banged her fists on a counter and screamed: 'Leave us alone and give us our taxes back! This is our house now, not yours. You are dead and you are not wanted here.'
    Shortly after, the taxes box appeared mysteriously in the middle of the dining room table.
    Nothing ever happened again after that, the wife said, and it made them sad. She said they had gotten so used to their little ghost and his pranks that there was a void in the house when he left. She sometimes wished she had never yelled.
    Well, in the interests of writing a thorough paper, I called a paranormal expert at Duke University. Duke, at that time, had a small research group in the larger department of psychology that was devoted to investigating claims of ESP and ghosts and the like. It is gone now; their funding dried up.
    I interviewed one of their experts, asking him about ghosts and ghost stories, and he was somewhat vague and circumspect in his answers. But, he said they had not been able to verify, conclusively, any of the stories or purported events they had investigated. So, I asked him: 'Do you believe that any of the stories are 'real' in the sense that there has been an actual, objective event caused by an outside paranormal force of some sort? After your years of study, do you believe in ghosts?'
    He answered me: 'All I really know for certain is that these events fulfill a deep need for those who experience them.' But, he did not know whether their need somehow made them more sensitive to actual, objective, paranormal events, or whether their need made their imagination over-active. All he knew was that there was a need.
    It got me thinking, so I called the wife back. Yes, she said. They had no children. And yes, they had tried very hard to have children. And yes, she had realized that their little ghost was a source of comfort.
  • SamanthaH10
    SamanthaH10 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I was hesitant to share my stories, but here goes...

I was in 8th grade when my parents decided to move to this farmhouse. Before we moved in, she took me to see the place. As soon as we pulled in to the driveway, I hated the place. I don't know what, but I had a VERY bad feeling. It was one of those in the middle of nowhere, no neighbors, surrounded by corn fields on all 4 sides type of houses. It even had a barn, chicken coop, garage, and grain silo on the property. Of course, none of it had been functional for many years, but it was kinda neat to see!

At the time, 2 guys were still living in the house and were very nice, showing us all the rooms and making us feel comfortable. After the tour, we sat down for something to drink in the living room and the lamp went off. I thought the bulb had blown, but one of the guys just chuckled, reached over, and turned it back on. He said something to the effect of, "oh, it happens all the time. You get used to it."

Well, we eventually moved in and all was well. About 4 months after we moved in, I had this recurring nightmare for exactly 7 days. 14 years later, I still remember it VERY vividly. It went something like this - my parents had left to go out for the evening and left me with my little brother and sister at home. I put the kids to bed, watched a little TV, and then went to bed myself. After I went to bed, someone broke into the house. The front door was directly across from the stairs, so as soon as the man broke in, he ran up the stairs and to my room at the end of the hall. My room had a side door into the bathroom and I escaped the man by running through the bathroom, back down the hall, and down the stairs. For each of the first 6 days, I found different passages out of the house, including an underground tunnel that ran from the house to the old, rundown chicken coop. On the 7th night, I didn't manage to escape. I was convinced something like this had happened in the house and frantically searched through the house for the underground passageways and little hideouts I had managed to find in my dreams. Unfortunately, the house had been remodeled in the 1970s, and I fear that any possible passageways were boarded up. The chicken coop was in such bad shape that it was not safe to walk through, but I desperately wanted to find that tunnel!

After the dreams stopped, the man started coming around. Once you reached the top of the stairs, there was a window the overlooked one of the cornfields. My room was on the opposite end of the hall from the window. Every few nights or so, I would be woken up and suddenly feel compelled to go out into the hallway. Every night this happened, a man wearing a flannel shirt and overalls would be standing at the window, looking out at the cornfields. When I came out, he would look at me and point ot the field. I never understood what he was pointing at because I was TERRIFIED and would end up running back to my room, throwing the covers over my head. This happened all the way until we moved out a few years later.

One night, everyone else in the house was asleep, but I was awake in my room, watching TV. Out of nowhere, I heard someone talking. I was thoroughly freaked out, but I went to investigate. I found my little brother, who was about 3 at the time, sitting in the stairs in the middle of the night, having a full-blown conversation. I freaked and went to wake my parents up. My stepdad came out and said Kenny wasn't on the stairs anymore, so we looked in his room. He wasn't there. We then went downstairs, and there he was, sitting on the couch in the living room in pitch darkness, still carrying on a conversation. I thought he might have been sleepwalking, but he was wide awake and said "HI SISSY" as soon as we got downstairs. We asked who he was talking to, and he said "Old MacDonald" to which I died laughing (I used to read him a book with Old MacDonald in it and he was dressed very similar to my window ghost) until I realized the connection with my man and the book he was referring to. Frequently after that, we would catch him in his room, just jabbering away. Creepy every time.

We had a backdoor in the kitchen that would constantly slam open and shut. I thought it was because of the wind until I realized it was not windy out.

Pots and pans would show up in random places, like in the middle of the stairs, on top of the washer or dryer, on the dining room table, etc. Very random, very bizarre.

One day, I stayed home sick from school and was laying down in my room, watching TV, the only one in the house. Out of nowhere, at 11AM, my mom's alarm clock started BLARING. I went in, turned it off, and went back to my room. As soon as I got comfortable, it started blaring again. Out of curiosity, I checked to see what time she had set the alarm to. It was set for 6AM. I didn't leave my bed for the rest of the day!

I was so happy to move out of that house!!!!!!! Never had any experiences before or since, but all of those are ingrained in my memory!
  • kjbbdoll
    Options
    I love everyone's stories! If I have time I will post some of my own later today. :) THanks so much for sharing!
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Bump because I find this topic interesting even though it is not wieght loss related.
  • pstaceyca
    pstaceyca Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Bump! :noway:
  • krazykelz1978
    Options
  • rydn4h2o
    Options
    Bump, love this thread!
  • krazykelz1978
    Options
    I belong to a paranormal investigation team..love hearing about all your hauntings...I have had some very interesting investigations...We are Paranormal Ohio Research Team..got some unusual things going on...Just let us know..I would love to hear about them even if we dont get to investigate...reading of the paranormal is interesting...happy ghost haunting to all

Fellow Ohioan!
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I am a bit shy to talk about this, as my parents were very heavily involved in occult when I was young

They would brings us to these rituals every few years, where everyone would dress up in costumes and repeat chants over and over again, with candles burning etc

Actually, every week we had to go to this big old grery buidling, real cold place, badly lite, and on a stage there would be this man, dressed all in black, with a cap, talking about old stories and hell, and punishment. And they'd bribe us with gifts like money etc to keep us wanting to come back

Luckily, when I got older, I was able to make outt he wood from the trees and stopped going to MASS]]

BOOM BOOM

LOL
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I've got lots of really scary stories from the house I grew up in, but I'll stick to my most recent experience.

I moved to a small house on a horse farm that was built in the 60's. Several times out of the corner of my eye I saw what I think was a young boy watching me. I never realized until after it happened though. I always thought it was my son waiting to talk to me. He would watch me dry my hair with a blow dryer. Then when I finished and looked up he would be gone. I also heard 1950's rock music playing often. We didn't have any neighbors and I would go outside to see where it was coming from. I could only hear it in the house. I was never afraid of it though. I think it was just curious.
  • Eafears
    Eafears Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • cheyenuff
    cheyenuff Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Very interesting thread. I will be coming back to read more of these post.
  • jemmert79
    jemmert79 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My house has a couple spirits. When we first moved in here I heard a little girl say mommy and thought it was my daughter until I realized I was home alone. Another time I heard a man coming up my stairs clearing his throat. That one kind of scared me because I was home alone and my dogs were right beside me and wouldn't move. I've also caught what sounded like morse code on my camcorder one night right before the camera was moved and I've also picked up what sounds like a man and women having a conversation. I've also got some good pics of light anomalies , orbs, and mists forming. I recently bought a EMF detector and I've been getting them to answer me with that.. I don't mind them being here but sometimes when they really want my attention they make sure they get it. They have thrown a plastic tub off my washer and they like to tap on stuff right beside me. I've also been touched and my husband thought I was crazy until they touched him a couple weeks later. Which I told him was gonna happen because he thought it was a joke..lol..jokes on him. He's becoming a believer now. My animals also act weird all the time especially my cat. They watch stuff thats not there (well it's there we just cant see it).
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    first ones not really ghost related but it always freaked my mum out, when i was 12 years old i got hit by a car going at a decent speed, i should have been severely injured if not killed, but the worst i got was a broken collar bone, the thing that freaked my mum out was my great grandfathers clock which sat on the mantlepiece stopped working at more or less the exact time that i was hit, and although it could just well be a coincidence i have always said someone was watching out for me that day......

when i was about 18, my mum and dad left me home alone whilst going off on holiday, i had come in from work and was running up the stairs, when i saw a bearded man stood stock still at the top, needless to say i froze where i stood and moments later he disappeared, i asked my mum about it and she said she had no idea who it could have been as an old lady had the house before them, and although our street is the oldest in our area, it was only built late 30s early 40s

we bought our current house in 2001 after the man who had it before died from carbon monoxide poisoning (only 3 doors away from my mum and dads house and my dad could see the poor man sat in his chair, after he had not moved for 24 hours my dad alerted the police) my oldest son kept getting up in the morning and saying he had been talking to a man before he went to sleep, this went on for ages he was only 2 or 3 at the time, it freaked me out as he slept in the mans bedroom, it got to the point in the end where i was scared to go in and check on him at night so i switched rooms with his sister, and thankfully after that it stopped, my daughter never saw anything and shes a none believer in anything paranormal, and my son never mentioned seeing or talking to the man again, it could just have been a pretend friend but the way he described there "talks" i doubt it, and i was always to scared to ask what his friend was called because if he had said the mans name im afraid i would have had to move lol