Options
123457»

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Well, eventually, I really would like to run at least a 2.5k
    That's one of my long term goals!

Just to confuse y'all more, we are having tiny pork bits for dinner. Have you heard of that? *grin*

I think I'm working on my 120th oz of water... I always lose track after 60!

EDIT: I just realized 2.5k is only a mile and a half. Oh my gosh. I CAN RUN THAT NOW! Yeah, let's aim for that 5k this summer!
  • jrbowers83
    jrbowers83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Okay wow I wasn't on for one day, and there's a page and half here. You guys have had alot going on I see.
    Welcome Sandra. I think there is one other homeschooling mom on this group too. I've gone back and forth on the homeschooling idea bc my son is gifted and struggles with boredom at school, but right now I need the time to myself, and I just supplement his schoolwork with more challenging work at home. IDK maybe next year if I get more input from homeschooling moms I might give it a try.
    Stacey-as far as your food and snack ideas, I say hit Trish up. She does ALWAYS have new and unique food ideas it seems. For snacks, I love the 100 cal. snacks for on the go. At first they seemed to small, but I started getting used to the size and they hold me over well now (well, before I kinda stopped eating this week anyway). And bananas are a great idea. I've been doing this yummy banana smoothie that tastes just like a real ice cream shake. It's 1/2 med banana, 1/2 c. crushed ice, 1 c skim milk and (this is the special part) 2 tbsp. caramel macchiato coffee creamer. IDK what it is in the creamer, but it gives it that extra thick creaminess and sweetness of a shake-I never tasted the banana or caramel, just tasted like vanilla shake YUM! It's about 200 cals, but I've been having mine as meals lately. If you're doing for snack, you could use 1/2 c. milk and 1 tbsp. creamer to cut back on cals.

Trish-I haven't heard of the hawaiian haystack, but the funeral potatoes sound like Irish potato salad my family served growing up. As far as the boxing, I hear ya on that. I have started kinda making my own routines on WFP, doing some TP like parade then 10 min of boxing, hula hoop, free run, finishing up with a 17 min. strength routine. But since you've been doing so well on the boxing, and you have your new HRM, try putting in the Wii Sports on tennis and boxing trng. I know those got me sweating, but didn't have any way to count the cals. I bet they'll burn some! As far as the running, I was really surprised to go through a little over a mi in 10 min on WFP, so I went outside for a run on NYD. It was 28 degrees outside, so it flared up my asthma. BUT I ran a 10 min. mi!!!!! So good luck. I think you'll do better than you imagine, but just know it is harder outside on hard pavement, with hills and the air etc. I had trouble catching my breath. Take it slow at first and do the C25K maybe. I'm gonna wait to do more outdoor jogging when it warms up, but if it's too warm that'll effect my asthma too so IDK. Maybe we can challenge one another on that one. :smile:

Hopey-I hope you get the car fixed soon. I remember the days of either having one car to share with husb or a car that broke down all the time, so 2 yrs ago I made hubby buy me a brand new PT cruiser, my first not used car ever. It's been very good to me. Good luck flying with the little one (is she 2 now?) I took my son to Vegas to visit my sis when he was 3, and it wasn't too bad. I got one of those backpack/leash things for at the airport and it was wonderful, cuz he could run around but not get away from me. Def helped with my peace of mind. Buy a backpack of small new toys from $ store (doodle pads, stacking cups, refrigerator magnets, etc.) and save them to give her one at a time on the plane. I think the novelty of the new toys distracts so much.

Nicole- I hear ya on the friend front, and I hope that you got it worked out either by standing up for yourself or severing that relationship. I think as moms we get so used to giving to everyone, we forget to do for ourselves. You really need some friends that will understand that and give back to you. I have a very small group of friends for that very reason-too many abusing my generosity. I wonder how the eating thing is going for you. I was gonna mention, to get fewer carbs I have started making alot of protein servings up in fatfree or lowfat dairy choices. Lots of yogurt, skim milk smoothies, white cheeses, etc. HTH. Keep us updated on what works for you, for when we hit that inevitable plateau.

And to anyone I left out, hi-sorry-hope you're doing well.

Well, I'm doing alot better on my end. I'm sleeping better at night and less during the day. I made an awesome pot roast yesterday and it kind of kickstarted my appetite again, so I went food crazy yesterday and today. I have healthy foods planned out for the rest of the week, so hopefully I'll make up for the overeating. I started working out at least an hour every day now is my new challenge, and I've been sticking with it. It kinda helps turn the depression into anger, esp when I do wii boxing, I started getting higher scores when picturing hubby's face. lol but :sad: I can't always make time for it in the am, so sometimes I split it into a 30 min session, and 30-60 min in the afternoon. I've been doing stationary bike more, and it really strains my lower back! Any sugg on what to do to alleviate that? I like doing it as a change from step, yoga, running etc. and it burns alot of cals in a little amt of time, so I hate to give it up, but may have to :grumble:
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    jr, thanks for your advice. I have a couple of friends at church who have done races. I am looking for more info to train for a local 5k at the end of the month. I think it's a good goal. Maybe I can work my way up to a half marathon by July. My mom might come out again for Grace's b-day, and possibly bring my aunt who shares the b-day. She is my favorite aunt. I think it would be an amazing experience to run a race while they're here, and they can see how far I've come in just under a year.

This means I actually have to start stretching before I workout...
  • amypyr
    amypyr Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Well, I've had quite a day. Found out this morning that our church (where I also work part-time as the administrative assistant) was broken into over night. They broke out the window in the men's room to get in. They then broke smashed the locked doors to the copy room, my office, and the minister's office. The only things taken were my computer and monitor. I have 2 1/2 years of work, contact info, and such on that computer. Some of it I can get from others where I've e-mailed them documents, but there's quite a bit of it I will have to start over from scratch! :mad: :explode:
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    jr, thanks for your advice. I have a couple of friends at church who have done races. I am looking for more info to train for a local 5k at the end of the month. I think it's a good goal. Maybe I can work my way up to a half marathon by July. My mom might come out again for Grace's b-day, and possibly bring my aunt who shares the b-day. She is my favorite aunt. I think it would be an amazing experience to run a race while they're here, and they can see how far I've come in just under a year.

This means I actually have to start stretching before I workout...

Trish...if you need some running advice or motivation...I would be happy to help! I love running 10 milers and 1/2 marathons...I don't actually care for the 5k's but they are like a sprint to they hurt! They make you breath heavy and all that stuff!LOL

Jr- The food thing will change next week...I am doing a cleanse this weekend so it is thrown off. I am glad to hear that you are doing better! I actually have my son at home, he does an online school, it's kinda like homeschool, but they set up the curriculum for you...may you would want to check that out. He loves it and so do I! For your back, do you do crunches? Anything to make your core stronger? That will support your lower back, so it won't hurt when your ride.

Amy- I am sooo sorry to hear about your church!:heart::flowerforyou: Maybe with your new computer, keep everything on a jump drive that you can take home with you, or put in a locked filing cabinet so that you have all of your files.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Nicole, I'll take all the motivation and advice I can get! And I think 5k is a good starting place for me. I'm more of a sprinter anyway :)

It's training for the long runs I'll need help with.
  • curliegirl
    Options
    Wow it really feel like the week has flown! I don't think I have gotten to post since Monday! I am enjoying some music with kids in bed while waiting for my oldest to come home from friends!

Sandra--we homeschool too! I am just graduating my first this year with 3 more coming along behind. I am exhausted from the senior "stuff" we are working on.

This week has been BAD for workouts! I didn't get a single one in--but it has been a busy stressful out of the house week so I am just going to start over tomorrow! Thankfully I was still able to eat good & log everything for the most part. YEAH! I hadn't gained any so I am happy about that. I think MWF are going to be good at home days this week so I am going to walk on those days!

We were up early traveling to Kansas City this morning & it was -11 degrees. Yikes! Have I mentioned I dislike the cold? It is hard to motivate yourself to work out when you have to peel out the long underwear to do so! Thankful for a warm house & that spring is coming.

Have a great Sunday everyone!

Kim
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    So we got ready for church today and went out to the car. I was excited because we were actually going to be EARLY today for once! If you've tried to get to church with your kids on time, you know what a huge deal this is.
    Slight problem though.
    The car was completely dead. The doors didn't even unlock when I pushed the button. We tried to self jump it... NOTHING. *Sigh*
    So much for being on time today.
    So we are going to go to church in an hour instead. We plugged the car into the house. It should have a charge in an hour.

After accidentally erasing all of my save files on my Wii right around Christmas, I am going to try setting up Biggest Loser again today and see what kind of a workout it gives me. Other than that, it's an easy day. Maybe I'll even take a nap!
  • Hopey1994
    Hopey1994 Posts: 307
    Options
    So we got ready for church today and went out to the car. I was excited because we were actually going to be EARLY today for once! If you've tried to get to church with your kids on time, you know what a huge deal this is.
    Slight problem though.
    The car was completely dead. The doors didn't even unlock when I pushed the button. We tried to self jump it... NOTHING. *Sigh*
    So much for being on time today.
    So we are going to go to church in an hour instead. We plugged the car into the house. It should have a charge in an hour.

After accidentally erasing all of my save files on my Wii right around Christmas, I am going to try setting up Biggest Loser again today and see what kind of a workout it gives me. Other than that, it's an easy day. Maybe I'll even take a nap!

So sorry about your car dying. That sucks! I can truly relate...
  • Silver_Dream
    Silver_Dream Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Trish, sorry to hear about your car dying. Good luck setting up BL again.
  • jrbowers83
    Options
    Trish, I def hear you on the getting kids off to church on time. I was 15 min. late this morning bc my 6yo would just not MOVE. Was driving me crazy and I was screaming like a maniac until I realized "Wait a minute, I'm supposed to be getting ready for CHURCH. Maybe I should remember to act a little more Christian" LOL. I yelled at him a couple more times throughout the day, but it def helped to put it all in perspective.

Well, I have done a real number on my back, and I'm not sure if it was from the stationary bike or what. I do crunches, pilates, and yoga, all of which is supposed to strengthen the core, and I think I have a pretty strong core, so maybe my posture is bad, or I picked the little one up wrong or something. It is now uncomfortable for me to sit, stand, or lay down. I had to get up twice during church just to walk a little my back hurt so bad. So I'm prob gonna take this week off of working out other than to maybe do some light yoga in hopes of stretching it out and light walking for as long as the pain doesn't get me down. (Luckily I planned all of this weeks meals out in advance and they're all right around 1200. I'd hoped to add some snacks in along the way depending on my workouts, but looks like that's not gonna happen.) I've been laying with a heating pad on my back, and took a long bath after church, but as soon as I take the heat off it hurts some more. Didn't help that I went to my sister's house for a late lunch, which meant carrying baby and accoutrements in and out of car, and since her house is always a mess, having to stoop over and run after Alycia to keep her out of danger. My son was in a royal mood all day today. Just would not LISTEN, so was constantly having to get onto him to go to time out, stay in time out etc. What should have been a nice and much needed family visit, I went home crying from. So stupid. Oh well, I think the kids had a good time.

Hope all of you are having a nice weekend. I know those are usually the crazy times for us SAHMs.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Hey, jr, sorry to hear about your back. I can't say this enough, buuuuut... seek out an awesome chiropractor! Ours is fabulous and can fix anything. He even does internal medicine, and started my weight loss journey. He's cured me of very bad vertigo/dizzy spells in a matter of seconds, and made digestive problems disappear for months at a time by pushing 1 spot on my belly. Creepy, but cool! He's also been a real help when my legs bother me from walking/working out.
    He used to work on the BYU athletes as their doctor, so I know he knows his stuff, because BYU has champion teams!

Anyway, a good chiropractor will really help your back. I thought they were quacks at first, but not anymore.

Making turkey chili for dinner. It's the first time we've made it with ground turkey and reduced sodium kidney beans. Looking forward to seeing how it tastes. Can't wait to add chips, cheese, and salsa! So hungry. Got a great workout in! Did Wii biggest loser workout. Biggest Loser said I burned 110 cals, my HRM said 450. HA! Take that BL!
  • jrbowers83
    Options
    Hmm. I've thought alot about seeing a chiropractor over the last few years. I have alot of "mystery" medical issues, that I think a chiropractor could work on. Like the dizziness/vertigo you described, migraine headaches, awful URQ abdominal pain after gallbladder surgery (feels just like the gall stones did, but ins won't pay to have an endoscopy, so who knows, just have to suffer) and this lower back issue, which comes up every now and then and was REALLY bad throughout pregnancy. My only thing is my ins. will not cover chiropractors, and I'm already dishing out quite a bit of $ to see a therapist, which ins also doesn't cover. IDK, maybe I will look into a free consultation soon, see if it's worth the money. Thanks for the advice.
    Awesome news about the cal burn on the BL game. I think it's really all about the effort you put into it right? Hope the chili comes out good.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Chili came out great! With a few minor changes, I cut out almost 1,000 sodium from the way we used to make it! I used reduced sodium kidney beans, ground turkey, and switched to low sodium blue corn chips. Small switches that made a huge difference!

Off to polish off my water. I've only had 30 oz so far, but determined to get a total of 90 in for the day.
  • curliegirl
    Options
    Jr--I am sorry about your back--I would take it easy this week and try to heal up. You def don't want to make it worse!

Trish--the chili sounds great--it has been super cold here. Was it more bland w/o the higher sodium?

Today has been pretty good for food. Oatmeal for b'fast--it always gets me through church w/o a snack like usual. Crock pot roast, potatoes & carrots w/ salad for lunch & left over soup tonight. Only bad thing was a friend dropped cookie dough as a thank you. I could have beat her with a stick! Of course the kids wanted to bake it. So I had my 2 pieces tonight & that is IT. The rest is the kids--somebody keep asking me tomorrow if I have eaten my kid's cookies. Sounds so evil but that is how I am going to have to think of it.

Tomorrow's goals:

Water--8 glasses
    Walk--30 minutes--going to be challenging w/ school & needing to be out tomorrow afternoon & evening. I will find a way. Even if it is 15 minutes & 15 minutes later on.
    NO COOKIES -- :)
    Log food for the week & stay with in 200 of my goal

Have a great week everyone!

Kim
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Curlie, dunno if you'll read this before Stacey posts tomorrow's new thread for the week, but the chili was not bland at all! I almost always have low sodium dinners, and they are NEVER bland. I used canned diced tomatoes with sweet onions in the mix, and it really made it work. It's probably the only thing that was real terrible (sodium wise) in the whole recipe, as 1/2 a cup had nearly 500 sodium (ouch!). I usually use a lower sodium diced tomato with lime & cilantro, but we were out.
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    sorry i didn't chk in all afternoon. could NOT get online no matter what i tried. the nice ppl at cox just helped me. and here i am. woohoo!

stayed in all my goals!!

will read posts and set up next wk's thread in the am
  • staceyw37
    Options
    trish--love your new quote! glad your day turned out well after the bummer start.
    jr--sorry abt your back. and various other ailments--your stress levels have probably been high for awhile and that may be contributing factor. or hormones. in any case, i hope resting it will alleviate the acute pain. hugs for the crying--sometimes going out is harder than being home...

kim--glad you checked in. good job on the cookies.
    did i mention i made MONSTER (as in HUGE) cookies yesterday?? most are with mini snickers pieces and a few with m&m's. recipe from bhg jr cookbook. yeah--343 cals per cookie with 21g fat. ate ONE yesterday. froze a bunch. will not eat more. for the KIDS. no, little one, mommy will not eat any more of your cookies. stop worrying!
    hehe

and tonight i made "them" choc chip pancakes. i controlled myself--only ate 3 and had a homemade smoothie for my dinner (to counteract the mcd's i had for lunch). these are HUGE accomplishments for me--and the fact that i have you all to share it with kept me thinking creatively and staying committed.
    thank you a bazillion times over!
  • staceyw37
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/75809-sahm-1-11-1-17-2010

link to this week's thread.
    see you there!!
  • vauleese
    Options
    Hey Ya'll! I'm new to MFP, started about 4 days ago after a friend showed me the app she had for the site on her cell phone. I then downloaded the app onto my phone and promptly came to the website. Although my screen name is Vauleese, my real name is Amanda and I am a SAHM with 3 little girls (9, 6 and 2) and 2 kitties. I do my best to get myself and my kids to eat healthy but for the life of me anything with sugar in it calls to me. Which also bring's to mind my other downfall....I LOVE To bake! As I write this I'm waiting for 4 eggs to come to room temperature so I can bake a cake for a friend's home business get together tomarrow night. I'm going to figure out how to make all my goodies low calorie and low sugar too!

My older 2 daughters are in school right now which opens up time for me to play with my 2 year old or go ride my bike with her in her trailer or to clean the house. I think after a while though you can only clean so much before your going nuts with the vacumn cleaner lol.