Best weightloss calculator I've EVER come across.

Options

Replies

• NitaCB
    NitaCB Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Saving this link.
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • SMJ1987
    SMJ1987 Posts: 368
    Options
    I love this. It's a great illustration of how many people under eat on diets, lose weight, but then still don't like how they look because they lost lean muscle as well as fat. MFP would have me eat 1250 cals is I went by their guidelines, where as this tells me to eat between 1700 and 2000.

Much more sustainable and satisfying.
  • Big_Daddy6
    Options
    bump
  • ajrichardson1985
    Options
    bump
  • slyeone
    slyeone Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I think I am doing it wrong LOL

when i add in more workouts my weightloss per week gets less

That's probably because it has you eating more on workout days.
  • Symonep
    Symonep Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    So maybe I should reduce the amount I eat on workout days? I normally just eat 1900 everyday as per the scooby site and if I put those figures into the linked site then I should lose the desired 25kg by my son's birthday :)
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    So maybe I should reduce the amount I eat on workout days? I normally just eat 1900 everyday as per the scooby site

You can adjust the calculators until they both show eating 1900 on workout days and non workout days.
  • Symonep
    Symonep Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    see I think where I am going wrong is I was thinking it was telling me what to do, instead of just using it as a calculator to work out how my loss will hopefully go
  • gogonunubean
    gogonunubean Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    bump to play
  • msteresao
    msteresao Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    bump
  • xcarbonix
    Options
    I was having the same issues with it giving me odd weight loss results (i.e. losing less with more working out, very long results) but as another posters has mentioned you MUST change your TDEE to -30% or whatever your calorie goal is .

They are not preprogramed to the same percentile that most of us are logging at. A quick manual change to the little section next to your pie charts and you'll have less confusing results.
  • lambjoo
    lambjoo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Bump....bump
  • Keltinator
    Options
    bump
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Ok, so there have been a few questions going out and ill try my best to answer them all...

1. Question on standard recomp - is eating a lot more on workout days really more effective for body recomp than spreading them evenly throughout the week?
    You say that you preferably eat 2,000 a day, not 1,600 on rest days and 2,400 on workout days. When it comes down to it; it's all about personal preference. If the weekly calorie total equals 14,000, then regardless of how you spread those calories out the weight loss will be the same. Eating more on workout days can be benificial as you can get more energy to get through a workout, but at the same time it's not necessary.

2. 'Im new to this...it's saying I should be eating more?'
    In short, yes. But without seeing your calculations I could be wrong. Myfitnesspal tends to underestimate calories resend for sustainable weight loss, especially in terms of macronutrients values and what we need.

3. What constitutes a workout? Mine could be considered pathetic sometimes.
    When it comes own to it, you've got to be honest with yourself. If you only do a few measly workouts throughout the week, maybe a light jog, half an hour of weights and an hour walk, then don't preset your activity level to heavily active...set it to lightly active and that will give you a more reasonable TDEE (total daily energy expenditure)

4. It wants me to eat 1192kcal on a rest day...wtf??
    Is that too little, or too much in your eyes? What did you set your weight loss goal for on it?

5. On page 4, it presets 90% fat loss with no consideration for protein intake...shouldn't it depend in protein intake for the amount of fat or muscle lost? Is it possible to maintain TDEE at a deficit?
    I had a play around, and it seems to be there's a certain limit to which it says we will lose lean body mass, regardless of how high the protein intake is put into it...it tends to be more about carbohydrate intake for the amount of fat and muscle loss, as long as there is sufficient protein intake. So while I do agree, amount of lean body mass maintained depends highly on protein consumption, the calc is a bit off in that regard.
    Your TDEE is the amount of energy you use throughout the day, so yes you can eat at a deficit and maintain a high TDEE. At least, I think that's what you're asking. Say, I burn 2,700kcal on average a day, I eat 2,200 on average per day. Therefore TDEE of 2,700 is maintained while I eat at a 500kcal deficit.

6. Maybe im not getting it, it's telling me to gain 5lbs?
    I'm assuming that you're looking on the first page when it has your 'perfect twin' BMI? Ignore that. If not, you've messed up some settings along the way and set it to gain weight.

7. Weight loss of 1lb is not enough! I wanted more like 1.5lbs-2lbs!
    Ask yourself this, did you put the weight on at 2lbs a week? No, so why would it be sustainable to lose it at such a rapid rate? If you start losing a lot quicker than 1lb a week, chances are you are losing muscle. Which is NOT good.

8. I put in more workout days, it's telling me it'll take longer to lose the weight?
    As above said, that's because workout days would have been set at a higher calorie intake, therefore weekly intake is higher and total deficit drops. Go back to the pie graphs and change your intake a bit lower on workout days.
  • Live4More
    Live4More Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options

Ok, so there have been a few questions going out and ill try my best to answer them all...

1. Question on standard recomp - is eating a lot more on workout days really more effective for body recomp than spreading them evenly throughout the week?
    You say that you preferably eat 2,000 a day, not 1,600 on rest days and 2,400 on workout days. When it comes down to it; it's all about personal preference. If the weekly calorie total equals 14,000, then regardless of how you spread those calories out the weight loss will be the same. Eating more on workout days can be benificial as you can get more energy to get through a workout, but at the same time it's not necessary.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    BUMP for research
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Bump 'in grindin' Thanks :)