Water Intake: The Final Debate

Options

Replies

• onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I drink when I'm thirsty and don't when I'm not. And I only get maybe 1 unflavored glass of water a day. I poison the rest with MIO. I'm a rebel.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    19 glasses of water here a day!! My goal is to drink half of my weight in water!

Woah! You need to think seriously about the possibility of hyponatremia if you could actually drink half your body weight in water in a day (although I doubt it---you would get far too sick before you ever got that far).
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Love water. It's all I drink. Except coffee and wine.

Did you know Andy Warhol died of hyponatremia?
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    19 glasses of water here a day!! My goal is to drink half of my weight in water!

Woah! You need to think seriously about the possibility of hyponatremia if you could actually drink half your body weight in water in a day (although I doubt it---you would get far too sick before you ever got that far).

it has been said you should drink half your body weight (in oz) of water. I drink more than half my body weight, in oz of water, most days.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I agree, I was buying bottled water and forget about it, I'm not going to spend money on what is probably just someone tapwater anyway. So now, I add bit of an actual lemon to each 16 oz. I need more, I know I do. I follow the book by a special ops instructor and yes, I need more water, so, thank you for the post and you are a talented writer at that;)
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Since it's the "final debate," does that mean no one will ever discuss it again?

Wishful thinking! The "drink more than 8 glasses of water a day" dilemma will never go away.

People with larger bodies can eat more and drink more water, smaller, shorter people can't. There are not rules that fit everybody. Just drink whatever you want, and pee as often as you need, and let other do their own thing.

I don't even keep track of how much water i drink, and i am doing very well.
  • RedHotHunter
    RedHotHunter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I love water.
    AND
    I love this post!
  • washingtonette
    Options
    I love this post! Most folks don't know they're thirsty or dehydrated until AFTER they start feeling thirty. It's better to be proactive and drink as much water as you can.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Entertainment-02-june.gif

coolcat.gif

standing-ovation_a_GIFSoupcom.gif
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of dividing your body weight by two, and drinking that many ounces… I drink a ton of water as well.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

it has been said you should drink half your body weight (in oz) of water. I drink more than half my body weight, in oz of water, most days.

Hmm. A gallon of water weighs about 8 lbs. The average adult weighs about 160 lbs. That would mean that the person would be drinking about ten gallons of water per day if they were going to drink half their weight in water. I suppose you can build up a tolerance but it could be a problem. From the Wiki article on hyponatremia: "Healthy kidneys are able to excrete approximately 1 litre of fluid water (0.26 gallons) per hour. However, stress (from prolonged physical exertion), as well as disease states, can greatly reduce this amount [and hyponatremia could set in with even less water]." You would need 40 waking hours in every day to process that much water. I would think 5-6 gallons would be the upper limit for average, healthy adults. But 10 gallons? No.

Hate to get gross here, but there is a simple test to see if you are drinking enough/not too much water. On test day skip your vitamins (thiamine excretion colors urine so it is impossible to gauge accurately if you have thiamine in your urine). Then drink your water as you normally would. Catch a specimen of urine in a clear cup. If you are hydrating properly, it should be "straw-colored" as they say in the medical literature--i.e. tinted pale yellow with a slightly amber tinge. If it is definitely light or dark amber, you are dehydrated. If it is colorless, you are over-hydrated and putting a strain on your kidneys and fluid balance system.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Love water. It's all I drink. Except coffee and wine.

Did you know Andy Warhol died of hyponatremia?

No, I didn't know that! I wonder if he was in Congestive Heart Failure as a pre-condition? It is very easy for someone with CHF to slip into hyponatremia. That is why the whole water-thing is not a "one-size fits all."
  • nogoldilocs
    nogoldilocs Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Note to self: Do not go to aroundthemulb's place for drinks. Especially not from clear cups.

And I'm not so sure of about most people's ability to judge on the clear-straw-lemonade-lightamber-darkamber-stout spectrum. Perhaps a urine color wheel is in order...stocking stuffer!
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Note to self: Do not go to aroundthemulb's place for drinks. Especially not from clear cups.

And I'm not so sure of about most people's ability to judge on the clear-straw-lemonade-lightamber-darkamber-stout spectrum. Perhaps a urine color wheel is in order...stocking stuffer!

LOL--You dirty dog! I almost spit a mouthful of water on my keyboard! :laugh: hahahaha!
  • Linda09189
    Options
    if you are not a thirsty person then how do you even start to make yourself drink this amount of water, I know currently I'm just drinking the 8 glasses and I'm living in the bathroom I can't imagine drinking so much more, what do you just live in there.....when I drink water I find it just makes me more hungry like it flushes the food right out of my system....I am trying for the first time to really make a success out of this, it is not easy to do....my weight loss is always so slow that is why I say...whatever I'm done....but I really do want to get threw this, my daughter is getting married in april and I don't want to be a fat mother of the bride
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    haha, you look like Pitbull.

exactly my thought :laugh:
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    Entertainment-02-june.gif

coolcat.gif

standing-ovation_a_GIFSoupcom.gif
    Those memes wreak of awesome.
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options

Grr.
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    There shall never be a Final Debate about water intake!
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

Grr.

hey its nothing bad hehe! Pitbull rocks! his music makes me dance :drinker: