Water Intake: The Final Debate

Options

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    ...when I drink water I find it just makes me more hungry like it flushes the food right out of my system....I am trying for the first time to really make a success out of this, it is not easy to do....my weight loss is always so slow that is why I say...whatever I'm done....but I really do want to get threw this, my daughter is getting married in april and I don't want to be a fat mother of the bride

In a sense, you are correct---drinking more water will temporarily increase your blood volume and thus it lowers blood glucose levels--so you feel hungry. Also, fat burning puts toxins into your bloodstream---some of which have an anorexic effect (but leaving those toxins in your system is not a good way to curb appetite, for sure). Drinking water is the primary way of eliminating these toxins. Your kidneys will thank you for hydrating properly and their thank you results in years of good service to you. Plus, healthy kidneys lead to better blood pressure---high blood pressure gets a huge number of people as they age. :sick: If you are used to skimping on water, you need to build up gradually. Try to drink at least 6 cups (in addition to other beverages) per day. That is only a cup before and between each meal. You can do it! :smile:
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    I drink a lot of water and pee a lot... when i don't drink much water, i get headaches and feel overall just icky
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    There shall never be a Final Debate about water intake!
    A challenge?
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    19 glasses of water here a day!! My goal is to drink half of my weight in water!

Woah! You need to think seriously about the possibility of hyponatremia if you could actually drink half your body weight in water in a day (although I doubt it---you would get far too sick before you ever got that far).

it has been said you should drink half your body weight (in oz) of water. I drink more than half my body weight, in oz of water, most days.

Hmm. A gallon of water weighs about 8 lbs. The average adult weighs about 160 lbs. That would mean that the person would be drinking about ten gallons of water per day if they were going to drink half their weight in water. I suppose you can build up a tolerance but it could be a problem. From the Wiki article on hyponatremia: "Healthy kidneys are able to excrete approximately 1 litre of fluid water (0.26 gallons) per hour. However, stress (from prolonged physical exertion), as well as disease states, can greatly reduce this amount [and hyponatremia could set in with even less water]." You would need 40 waking hours in every day to process that much water. I would think 5-6 gallons would be the upper limit for average, healthy adults. But 10 gallons? No.

Hate to get gross here, but there is a simple test to see if you are drinking enough/not too much water. On test day skip your vitamins (thiamine excretion colors urine so it is impossible to gauge accurately if you have thiamine in your urine). Then drink your water as you normally would. Catch a specimen of urine in a clear cup. If you are hydrating properly, it should be "straw-colored" as they say in the medical literature--i.e. tinted pale yellow with a slightly amber tinge. If it is definitely light or dark amber, you are dehydrated. If it is colorless, you are over-hydrated and putting a strain on your kidneys and fluid balance system.

1/2 your body weight in ounces.... an average 160 pound person would drink 80 OUNCES of water for 1/2 their body weight.
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Well, GorillaEsq...good read......most interesting was the mention of "Without water, you'll experience a severe case of deadness within about 48 to 72 hours".....Now confirm that aforementioned severe cases of deadness are also a terminal condition -versus any other, possibly less severe, cases of deadness..... I may have missed that part in my anatomy and physiology classes way back when :tongue: Off to the watercooler now.....feeling a bit parched :drinker:
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    There shall never be a Final Debate about water intake!
    A challenge?

Indeed.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    19 glasses of water here a day!! My goal is to drink half of my weight in water!

Woah! You need to think seriously about the possibility of hyponatremia if you could actually drink half your body weight in water in a day (although I doubt it---you would get far too sick before you ever got that far).

it has been said you should drink half your body weight (in oz) of water. I drink more than half my body weight, in oz of water, most days.

Hmm. A gallon of water weighs about 8 lbs. The average adult weighs about 160 lbs. That would mean that the person would be drinking about ten gallons of water per day if they were going to drink half their weight in water. I suppose you can build up a tolerance but it could be a problem. From the Wiki article on hyponatremia: "Healthy kidneys are able to excrete approximately 1 litre of fluid water (0.26 gallons) per hour. However, stress (from prolonged physical exertion), as well as disease states, can greatly reduce this amount [and hyponatremia could set in with even less water]." You would need 40 waking hours in every day to process that much water. I would think 5-6 gallons would be the upper limit for average, healthy adults. But 10 gallons? No.

Hate to get gross here, but there is a simple test to see if you are drinking enough/not too much water. On test day skip your vitamins (thiamine excretion colors urine so it is impossible to gauge accurately if you have thiamine in your urine). Then drink your water as you normally would. Catch a specimen of urine in a clear cup. If you are hydrating properly, it should be "straw-colored" as they say in the medical literature--i.e. tinted pale yellow with a slightly amber tinge. If it is definitely light or dark amber, you are dehydrated. If it is colorless, you are over-hydrated and putting a strain on your kidneys and fluid balance system.

1/2 your body weight in ounces.... an average 160 pound person would drink 80 OUNCES of water for 1/2 their body weight.

Oh, THAT'S what you meant. NVM. :laugh: The original poster wasn't very clear on that point---she said that her goal was to drink half her weight in water. And I thought she meant pounds of water, not ounces. Sorry. :blushing:
  • MStanford336
    MStanford336 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am an advocate for drinking as much water as you possibly, and safely, can. Period.

As a giant-meathead, who spends 2 hours per day shortening my neck and training in martial arts, I like water... a lot. I drink 1 1/2 gallons, per day, every day.

"But Gorilla... what about Water Intoxication and Hyponatremia??" Notice I quantified my statement with the word "safely."

It never ceases to amaze the number of people that get bent-out-shape over the "water intake issue." For me, the answer is simple. Drink more. Lots and lots more. Drink as much as you can, then have another glass. Whatever amount that turns out to be, is the correct amount... mostly because what your body doesn't need, it will simply pee-out... and take a lot of waste with it.

For some unknown reason it is now in-vogue to denounce the "Eight 8 Once Glasses of Water Per Day" guideline, and replace same with the inane notion that one should "simply drink fluids when they are thirsty." ... Yes... Because clearly "thirst" and "hunger" are excellent mechanisms for regulating what your body needs. I mean, c'mon, it's not like you need a website and calculator to determine how much food you should.. be... eating... oh.. hmm... Well, you should just eat food when... you're... hungry... because... um... uh oh.

(Oh no he didn't! ... Oh yes... I did.)

Your body needs water. Lots of it. Here's some examples... follow the bouncing hydrogen atom:

Without water, your bloated, dehydrated corpse will begin to smell within about 3 days.
    Second only to oxygen, water (which is 1 part oxygen btw), is the most critical requirement for human life. Without water, you'll experience a severe case of deadness within about 48 to 72 hours. But, by all means, make sure you "slow down" on that next glass of water. While you're at it, you might want to hold your breath because you're probably getting waaaay too much air.

Your body is mostly water.
    65% of the finger you're using to click the "Report this Post" button is water. So, I still win.

Your brain is mostly water.
    As you attempt to argue with me, in vain, know that 70% of the organ you're desperately trying to utilize in an effort to concoct a "witty retort," is water. Irony can be so ironic sometimes.

People that are way more awesome than you, drink lots and lots of water.
    Soldiers, bodybuilders, special forces operatives, Olympic athletes, boxers, MMA fighters, Ironman triathletes, et al all calculate and consume tremendous amounts of water. Think about that as you feverishly type away with your thumbs on your bedazzled iPhone in an effort to "teach me a lesson."

Happy Saturday.

Have I mentioned that I love you?
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Love water. It's all I drink. Except coffee and wine.

Did you know Andy Warhol died of hyponatremia?

No, I didn't know that! I wonder if he was in Congestive Heart Failure as a pre-condition? It is very easy for someone with CHF to slip into hyponatremia. That is why the whole water-thing is not a "one-size fits all."

No, he had a routine gall bladder surgery and due to poor medical care and over hydration (whatever the proper medical term is for that), he died in the hospital.

Which reminds me...I was in the hospital for suspected malaria and they were super-hydrating me via IV since I had been so sick. I was getting up to pee literally every 20 minutes. I begged them to lay off the fluids but you know how hospitals are.
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh, THAT'S what you meant. NVM. :laugh: The original poster wasn't very clear on that point---she said that her goal was to drink half her weight in water. And I thought she meant pounds of water, not ounces. Sorry. :blushing:
    [/quote]

I do drink a lot of water but i agree... 10 gallons might be a bit much :drinker: :bigsmile:

*** edit *** I lack quoting skills!
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I drink so much water that my boss has asked if I had a UTI (he's a Doctor). :bigsmile:

I love your posts! You always make me smile.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

No, I didn't know that! I wonder if he was in Congestive Heart Failure as a pre-condition? It is very easy for someone with CHF to slip into hyponatremia. That is why the whole water-thing is not a "one-size fits all."

No, he had a routine gall bladder surgery and due to poor medical care and over hydration (whatever the proper medical term is for that), he died in the hospital.

Which reminds me...I was in the hospital for suspected malaria and they were super-hydrating me via IV since I had been so sick. I was getting up to pee literally every 20 minutes. I begged them to lay off the fluids but you know how hospitals are.

The Wiki article on Warhol says that he suffered ill effects for the rest of his life because of an attempt on his life back in 1968. He was shot by a disgruntled associate--he almost died. The surgeons did open chest heart massage on him at the time. He must have been left with some heart issues, since they said that the cause of death was cardiac arrhythmia brought on by "water intoxication" (hyponatremia). That doesn't usually happen unless there is undetected heart disease, as the fluids are pretty tightly controlled, in order to avoid those kinds of problems. According to the article, Warhol had stalled on the gall bladder surgery because he was afraid of doctors and hospitals. Apparently, he was right to be afraid.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

The Wiki article on Warhol says that he suffered ill effects for the rest of his life because of an attempt on his life back in 1968. He was shot by a disgruntled associate--he almost died. The surgeons did open chest heart massage on him at the time. He must have been left with some heart issues, since they said that the cause of death was cardiac arrhythmia brought on by "water intoxication" (hyponatremia). That doesn't usually happen unless there is undetected heart disease, as the fluids are pretty tightly controlled, in order to avoid those kinds of problems. According to the article, Warhol had stalled on the gall bladder surgery because he was afraid of doctors and hospitals. Apparently, he was right to be afraid.

I recently saw a documentary on Warhol and they left out all that detail. Sounds like you know what you're talking about -- you must be a medical professional. :)
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    Only on MFP would a devastatingly crushing argument about water intake, turn into a debate about Andy Warhol.
  • transvenouspacer
    transvenouspacer Posts: 182 Member
    Options

Yes, he was right to be afraid of doctors and hospitals since they were responsible for saving his life before. That makes perfect sense...:huh:
    Only on MFP would a devastatingly crushing argument about water intake, turn into a debate about Andy Warhol

Us MFP peeps have the attention span of a gnat sorry :bigsmile:

...Ooohh what's that shiny thing over there?!
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Yes, he was right to be afraid of doctors and hospitals since they were responsible for saving his life before. That makes perfect sense...:huh:

All I meant was that he likely had some sense that there was something wrong with him that perhaps docs had failed to find after his brush with death, and was dreading the surgery because of that. Since he died as the indirect result of the gall bladder surgery, he would obviously have been better off without it. But then, because of the skill of the surgeons he had in 1968 he did gain another 19 years, so he definitely was blessed by the power of modern medicine. :ohwell:
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Only on MFP would a devastatingly crushing argument about water intake, turn into a debate about Andy Warhol.

Sorrry---didn't mean to derail your thread. :embarassed:
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    1-2 gallons of pure water for me per day. Improves my whole quality of life. Skin keeps more clear, holds a glow. I retain less water, and feel 'tighter' all around. Just another essential part of my daily routine now.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    It definitely facilitates the loss of pounds. Since I upped my water intake to at least six cups of water in addition to tea and coffee, (I have never been one to drink even close to the recommended amounts) I have found that I lose weight much more easily.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    ...I'm Thirsty...:drinker: