WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2012

Options

Replies

• cathyb60
    cathyb60 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    I’ve been checking in every day but not doing any posting. I’m going to take some time this afternoon and read through the posts of the last few days
    Went in the other day to try the “fix” that the Arthritis place rigged up for the brace (turns out it was pretty much the same as what my husband and I did) anyway, even before I tried it out they said that they were going to refund the portion that I had to pay for the brace that my insurance didn’t cover! I was shocked and very pleased ! It was over $500.00! They have been great and very supportive throughout this, I assume it is their way of admitting that there are just some body types that the brace doesn’t work for. With the belts I will be able to wear the brace for short periods of time and hopefully that will help. Too bad I can’t get the full help from it but a little is better than nothing.

Today is Monday, waiting for hubby to get up so we can go do some yard work. Bringing in the “summer” furniture etc. Also have to turn the grass over in half the yard! I wish we could train the racoons to dig for their grubs(or whatever) in only certain areas .What a mess! Maybe it’s their way of telling me my lawn needs to be aerated! LOL!

Monday is my "weigh in" day and I'm down 1.50 lbs. I need to get past this as it's the same 1-2 lbs I've been wrestling with since I started MFP!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Cathy

October Goals:
    * Track my food
    * Use the bike pedals at least 5 days a week
    * Get to the pool 2-3 days per week
    * Cut back on my drinks on the weekend
    * lose and keep off 6 pounds (I tend to yo-yo)
    * Eat more vegetables
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi everyone sorry I've been missing most of October!

Marking my spot for later. going to catch up with the posts I've missed. :embarassed:

Viv :heart:
  • junekaatz
    junekaatz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Greetings Early Birds,

Up for a swim before before breakfast, (WHAT??) a girlfriend is off on an exotic diving holiday in 2 weeks and wants to get back in shape so asked me to go swimming every morning this week. Great idea, I love the local salt-water pool, so much nicer than those chlorine jobs but no so sure about the 5:30am wake up call. Lane swimming is hard to come by so we have to go early if we are working. I figure this will help me with my trip, the exercise, getting up several hours earlier due to the time difference, etc.

Oh look, the sun is coming up, not a cloud in the sky, think I'll grab my coffee and just enjoy,

Catch you later,

Enjoy your day,
    Kate

Oh yes, weigh-in today, down one pound!
  • mwheatcraft54
    mwheatcraft54 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Good morning, everyone! Thank you for the well wishes – it truly was just a minor glitch in the weekend. I slept a ton on Saturday, popped up Sunday and was off. I think I mentioned I went out for a walk/run with DH, then did an hour of stretching – so lovely. For those looking for back-strengthening workout, try looking for a yoga-ish, stretching dvd. The one that comes with P90X uses a number of yoga stretches for the upper body combined with basic leg stretches, but it’s always the upper-body ones I love the most.

Anyway, I finished DGD’s costume and it came out SOOOOO cute! I’ll try to post a pic when I get one back of her in it. It was very easy (I have a serger, which makes it much, much easier too), despite sewing the hood on backwards/upside down at least four times – grr! Now I’m thinking about making a similar one for DD as she wants to put DGD in the Halloween parade but will need a costume too. I can probably just free-form draw one for her.

Both of my kids and myself were avid readers. DSS doesn’t read as much anymore – he’s more physical, but DD is still a big reader. I love what they’re doing with DGD – they’ve started right off the bat reading chapter books to her. I’m not sure if it’s delaying her speech (she really only has a few sounds although is very vocal) but it seems unlikely since she gets lots of words, just not getting the connection between words on paper and sounds. It will come. I had bought them a set of Dr. Seuss when I was there in Sept., and I’m sure they’ll read both to her. She loves to get her books out to play with, but she mostly likes the tactile effect of the books right now (books with things to touch like fuzzy spots, etc.).

Jeannie, I’m sorry to hear about your troubles. It sounds like you might be trying to slowly settle into a new “normal”? I hope it goes well.

Texas, Good luck with your new challenge! I have to say, I find the challenges themselves a bit overwhelming (I seem to belong to a number based on my various fitness groups), but what I like about them is the fellowship of people and the “tips” – fun recipes, inspirational memes. Setting a weight goal is worthwhile if you’re thinking of your general weight-loss pattern, but trying to force your body into something it may or may not be on board with can be frustrating if you don’t get there. In addition to setting a weight goal, maybe you can set goals for what you’re going to do to make that happen – “I’m going to take x steps each day” or “I’m going to increase my exercise by 10 minutes/day” or “I will eat five servings of veggies each day” – those types of goals that will actually have an impact on your overall health regardless of what the scale or measuring tape says. Good luck with your challenge!

Nancy, I get your frustration – six pounds on a small frame is magnified, isn’t it? I agree with you about the urgency – I’ve just crossed over the halfway mark and am already thinking things like “Oh, it won’t matter if I skip my walk today” or “Sure, I’ll have a glass of wine – I deserve it!” However, the part I love is my mindset that I always consider skipping or indulging with my overall day goals in mind: do I have enough calories left to have that glass of wine, or if I don’t work out will I have to starve for the rest of the day? Additionally, I try to add in my “joy” consumption – I really like wine, but I really, really love watching my body change, so I know I need to keep the wine as a treat, not a regular thing, and I really, really love my walks, so not going is actually kind of a punishment. Anyway, I don’t know how I got off on this tangent – I guess I was thinking of the feeling of not needing to lose a ton of weight, just a bit – but it did take me four or five months to get this far and I’ll have to go at least that far to get to the other side of my goal, so I need to remember it really is a journey, not a destination.

Meg, it sounds like you had a busy but lovely time in Philly – it was a great week to be there (I think – did you miss the rain?). I hope you can spend more time here in the future – so much history in the city, and our teaching hospitals aren’t too shabby either. LOL at DD making tuna helper without the tuna.

Kate, congratulations on the clothes shopping in a smaller size!!! I agree with you (and others) that it seems more exciting to branch out into living color as we get smaller – we’re no longer trying to blend in with the shadows. How exciting!!! I find it hard to shop for older relatives – I think note cards and stamps maybe? How sweet that you make PJs for the grand-nieces. Enjoy the movie! And good luck coming up with a costume idea – maybe that should be his job?

Janie, I agree – being healthy is the goal. Everything falls into place when you feel good and strong and fit. Keeping your uncle in my thoughts today – tough surgery.

Lila, oh, time to say goodbye to the warmth, sounds like. I hate that feeling when you do something and can’t even tell the next day – we have milk thistles that grow like weeds (hehehe) – I’ll spend a whole day pulling them, then there they are the next day. Grr. It’s that way with leaves too – but fortunately around here we get lots of wind before the snows. I need to go gather some of the leaves though so I can dig them into my garden for mulch. DD loved her Peter Rabbit figurine, but the story of Squirrel Nutkin was their favorite (that naughty squirrel!).

Lentigo – LOL about the something to jiggle – that’s for sure! I have friends who bellydance – it’s such a lovely dance. We went to a Moroccan restaurant for DD’s birthday some years ago and had a bellydancer perform during dinner – she was really graceful and amazing.

Laura, enjoy that weather while it lasts – oh, who am I kidding – it’s beautiful in Denver most of the time! Can’t wait to be there (one month away). Biking around the Reservoir – how lovely. Denver has great trails and bike paths – I really miss living in a city that treasures its outdoor facilities like bike paths.

Michele, I made DGD a zebra costume – just a feety-pajama thing with a hood out of zebra-print fleece, but it’s really cute. DD wanted her to be a tiger but couldn’t find the tiger-print material. I may go look for some though and make one for DD. I also bought a pattern and material for a fairy costume – but it’s more complicated, and after talking to DD we decided it would be better to hold off on that one until next year when she can walk and enjoy it. Are you using a cutter or trencher to cut through the red clay? We rented one for the day when we had to lay the electronic fence for the dog – best $30 ever spent.

Lin, I agree about the space/piling issue with books and magazines – but I tend to reread a lot, so I do like having them on hand when I want to peruse them. I especially like rereading cooking magazines when I’m planning a special meal – I get lots of good ideas from recipes I may have overlooked the first, second or third time I looked at them.

Liz, glad your DH had a good time with his friends. I can attest to the fact that pizza doesn’t have to be a diet-buster, just watch the cheese (fat) and crust thickness (carbs). We have it regularly, but I make it with whole wheat and use cheese sparingly. I hope you enjoyed your church gathering.

Linda-Sun, I love that feeling of when my body says “Hey, where did these muscles come from???” Just give it a day to rest, then get back out there. Pretty soon those muscles will be complaining if you’re NOT working them out lol. Enjoy those new workout clothes. My premenopause hit me hard last night – woke up at 1 am to use the restroom, finally talked myself into trying to get back to sleep at 4am. I was just wide awake. Ugh.

Liz, I love hearing your story of how you “stuff” yourself, but now you’re starting to come out more. A perfect description of what a lot of women tend to do.

Sally, sending positive energy for a good appt for you today! Best wishes.

CathyB, so glad to hear your DME provider is going to refund the out of pocket portion of your cost! That’s wonderful. Hopefully those 1.5lbs will stay away and take some of their friends with them! Sounds like turning over the grass will be a chore!

OK, off to get some work done. I have an appointment this afternoon with the dermatologist – seems like I’m trying to get ALL of my life in order, including medical. I was terrible with my skin as a teen, out in the sun with baby oil all the time. In all honesty, I’m still a little that way – I don’t tend to wear sunblock unless I know I’m going to be in the sun a lot. I do at least wear it on my face now. Anyway, I have a number of moles we just keep an eye on, and I have vitiligo, probably caused by my bout with sarcoidosis. I’m supposed to be checked every year, but this will be the second time since I’ve lived here. Ahem. Once I’m done there, I’ll get a general physical and then be done for a year or two. So far, everything has checked out normal and healthy – for which I am very grateful. I feel bad for those who suffer from ill health. I’ve been so fortunate for having been so cavalier about my own.

On that happy note, cheers to Monday!

M.
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Good morning all,

The Australian themed dinner was lots of fun (we pretended the chicken was kangaroo meat)! :laugh:

Now I have to get myself fired up for work. Gym class first thing - my grade 7 fitness day. :ohwell: That should get the body moving and the brain sparking.

Best wishes and kind thoughts to you all, enjoy the day.

Nancy
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Monday and it's supposed to be a beautiful day,

Michele-after all the fence issues I'm sure you are so glad to have the project to the point where it's you putting in the lights for your path...it sounds lovely:flowerforyou:

Lin-I have three book cases full of books and then some storage bins as well...needless to say my family keeps reminding me that I can't keep all of them:ohwell: I just have a hard time letting them go. I was given a kindle for my birthday and still haven't opened it up...I really do need to get on that:blushing:

Liz-good job on checking on that pizza before partaking...it's always a plus when you can have something that you can consider special and keep those calories low:happy: I do understand the whatever life throws your way...then stuff food to deal with it but you CAN break the cycle:flowerforyou:

Linda-hoping that those workout pants fit, getting a smaller size always is such a plus to keep us going on this journey:drinker:

Sally-hoping the ultrasound and GYN appt go according to plan:flowerforyou:

Cathy-that's good new that insurance company is giving you money back for part of your brace...hoping that your weigh in is what you are hoping for:flowerforyou:

Kate-Congrats on that loss:drinker: Getting up at zero dark thirty to swim:noway: ...I'm inpressed.

M-hearing that you used to use baby oil for being in the sun....yep that was me too when I was young:blushing: Now I try my hardest to keep out of it...although bike riding during the summer made that pretty hard (I have a bike short tan line:grumble: ) but use sunscreen pretty faithfully on my face. You said you use the P90X, #3 son gave that to us a few years ago, but I've not ever tried it:blushing: maybe now would be a good time to give it a go.

Nancy- pretending it was kangeroo meat:noway: I wonder does it taste like chicken...maybe some one from Australia could tell us:huh: You have fun with those 7th graders today:happy:

Did pretty good with my food this weekend much better than I have in the past, trying to increase my calories a bit to figure out what my maintenance number is and keeping my exercise going.

It's gonna be another busy day at work have to finish some quarterly reports so I'd best get to them. Everyone have an awesome day...let's remember to drink plenty of water:drinker: , get in some exercise and log your food.

Laura80111:smile:
  • janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday!

I just finished catching up on all of the weekend posts -- so many interesting things going on! I "switched out" my closet yesterday, moving the summer clothes to the higher rods and the winter clothes to the lower ones, so I now definitely know that it's fall. I went on a major shopping spree Saturday, but could find almost nothing I liked. I got just one new shirt, but a lot of steps! :blushing:

Now that it's fall, I need to get on hubby's case about my car, which I haven't gotten to drive since the beginning of August. My daughter sold her car and took mine while she looked around for a new one. My son took my husband's car and seems to plan to keep it for now. The car my husband was using instead was in an accident, so he took my car when my daughter finally returned it after two months. All of this has left me with our weekend car, which is fine except that I can't fit clients into it and I don't want to be driving it when the snow flies (it's a convertible and mine is/was an SUV). I have a feeling that I'm going to end up with a big problem if the weather doesn't hold. :grumble:

JB -- It sounds like you had a good shopping trip. Isn't it nice that the fitted tops work again? NYDJ jeans are great!

Meg -- Glad you had a nice time in Philadelphia! It's hard to eat healthy in those situations, so you just do the best you can. This is real life, after all. Who knew that there were so many essential details in publishing? Actually, it sounded very interesting. I loved the "tuna helper" story. :laugh:

Laura -- Congrats to hubby on 17 lbs. lost. I wish we could lose that quickly! I liked the weights analogy.

Lila -- I loved your description of watching the leaves swirling down. Fall is my favorite time of year, and I could just picture it. Raking so many leaves must be great exercise, too.

Glenda -- Your conference in Calgary sounded really interesting. When is your week in Playa? If we both happen to be there at the same time one year, perhaps we could meet.

Barbie -- Thanks for telling me about the photos. I'll need to see about getting an account somewhere, although it sounds a bit technical. I was pleased with myself for learning to upload photos to Costco!

Michele -- I've written down your Mini Quiches recipe. It sounds like it would be great for something like Bunko or Book Club! Good for your husband in insisting that the fence be done correctly.

Wessecg -- I'm glad you had a great visit with your brother. We're allowed to go over on occasion -- as I said above, this is real life. You do so well most of the time that you deserved it!

Jolene -- I hope your foot is better and you made it into your shoes today.

Mwheatcraft54 -- I had to laugh when I read what you said about the cake for breakfast, lunch and dinner! :laugh: This cake has always been our family birthday tradition, as well.

Rjadams -- I loved the idea of a "book baby shower."

Kate -- Swimming in a salt water pool sounds great -- I don't know if we have such a thing here. I don't envy you the early hour, though! Glad you found some new dress pants in a smaller size.

Lentigogirl -- I tried belly dancing while I was in college, but was far too uncoordinated to make my body shake like that. I did really like the outfit, though! :wink:

Nancy -- Your Aussie themed dinner with "faux" kangaroo meat sounded like a great time!

Well, I'm off to take my mother to her eye doctor appointment. She also asked me to take her to look for winter shoes, so those are my plans for the day. Have a good one!
  • jolenec1
    jolenec1 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone,

Its a beautiful day in the neighborhood:happy: . Sun is shining and its going to be in the 80's today. I had to get back to work to rest after the cleaning spree I went on this weekend:noway: . I battled the dust bunnies and I'm still not sure if I really won. I am sore all over and was hurting like fury when I went to bed last nigh:grumble: t. But after washing down the walls, hanging new drapes, shampooing the carpets, and rearranging the furniture in my bedroom yesterday:bigsmile: ....that will do as a workout.:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Seems like everyone had a full weekend. i hope we all have a successful week.:wink:

Later,

Jolene
  • LindaS175
    LindaS175 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Liz- I too have been a stuffer or wolfer when emotions are involved. :sad: :sad: I think part of it goes back to childhood. Food was something that my Mom could afford. On the way home from going to the Air Force Base commissary I remember that we would eat snacks on the 35 min way home. I remember eat the hostess sweets etc. This was at a time when my parents were getting divorced, so food was comforting for us. The other issue was growing up in a family with 6 kids. If there was a “treat” like a package of Oreo’s in the cupboard, you would not get any if you didn't hurry up and get some! I believe that these issues all contribute to the unhealthy habits I am learning to change today. The knowledge of nutrition and how it can either hurt or help ones body was not really forefront in life when I was a kid, as it is today. I am so glad that now we have the knowledge to know what mistakes I have made and that I can stop making the same ones over and over. Knowledge is power, and this will lead us to a healthier person. :laugh: :laugh: :bigsmile:

Sally, hoping that all goes well with your tests today. It feels good to get most of the house chores done before the week starts. Hope your schedule calms down and go can get back on track! :flowerforyou:

Cathy- Congrats on the weight loss. It is a loss and not a gain, for this you should be proud. Now just keep on track and the next lb will come off too! Have a good day burning calories in the yard! Nice, that the company gave you a refund. That is great customer service. Good customer service is hard to find these days, especially where money is involved.:smile::smile:

Viv-welcome back! :happy:

Kate- Congrats on the weight loss!!!!!!! :bigsmile: I hope you had a nice swim! I am sure you are going to a nice indoor pool? Does the salt water pool burn your eyes? I have never been in a salt water pool. I shiver at the thought of going to the outdoor pool we have here in the cold morning air! I love to swim, but being cold is not my cup of tea! :grumble: :grumble:

M- you had a great start to the morning with your exercise. I would love some of your recipes for homemade pizza. We love pizza. I have wanted to make our own, but have not gotten around to it. I do have a bread machine that can make pizza dough, I just need to do it!! :laugh: :laugh:

Nancy- kangaroo meat, yes a lovely imagination. You will have a fun day working those kids out for their fitness test. I just got my daughters results back from her test last year. She has grown and lost 10lbs. It was nice to see the results. :bigsmile:

Laura 80111- congrats on having a good weekend with your meals. You are off to a good start. Thanks for sharing with us that are still losing and having a long way to go- about how you are going to keep your weight off this time. This is valuable info for us! Hope you have a good day at work! :flowerforyou:

Janehadji- good luck with the car issue! Glad to see you back and posting regularly! You are going to get more shopping steps in today! DD#1, keeps asking me if we can do to MAC, Sephora and Ulta today. Good thing they are all in the same mall and relatively close together. I don’t mind going, it’s just that there are soooo many other things to do in the day! Lol :laugh: :laugh:

Jolene- oh my gosh! You are quite the cleaning woman. You did a huge amount of work in one day! No wonder your body was hurting! The bright side thinks of all the calories you burned! Home those muscles are feeling better today! :bigsmile:

I had this quiet morning to myself, but now it is time to finish laundry and make that Costco run. I am working the next 3 evenings in a row. I need to get things done before work. :noway: :noway:

I am wishing everyone a successful nutritious day. Self care, it is what we need! :heart:

Have a great day!:wink::wink: :wink:

Linda :flowerforyou:
  • CSueB
    CSueB Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Mazaron......yes, I admit cake and beer sounds very odd.... IT WAS. my youngest turned 30 and his sweetheart threw a surprise birthday party for him at our "family friendly" bar.... so munchies and beer, and of course there had to be a birthday cake! Ahh yes, the joys of logging your indulgences........ I do admit that although I enjoy a drink now and then, the high calories involved keep my in check a lot! Plus water just tastes best to me! Not to mention the dangers of over indulging in alcohol....have seen it do too much damage to way too many people! But it was a fun party anyway!

I understand your 3 pound struggle.........the lesser motivation included........or rather the lack of urgency and importance, and the weaker I am in giving into cravings......... one day at a time, and many times still one BITE at a time. Slow and steady, I want this weight to stay off!

MFP is a great place to come for support and encouragement, and perhaps a little gentle nudging when needed!
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Wow, I have been gone only a couple of weeks and the posts explode. I'm not even going to try and read them all today. I have fallen, but I am getting up. I have been busy, making things for my next shows and cleaning up the studio. Now I have to go put an order in the mail. I just had to mark my place. Tigress
  • JNHeff
    JNHeff Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Hey, Y'all!
    I just wanted to let you know that my uncle's surgery went well, and they think they removn ed all of the cancer. They had to take out a larger chunk than the first surgery, so he will probably be in more pain, and the recovery will probably be rougher than before.

thank you for your prayers and support! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :love: :love: :love:

i had a talk with my physical therapist today about how stiff and sore i was after last week's session, and the lack of mobility i experienced over the weekend.... he took a little mercy on me and dropped a few of the things i had done last week. he had added some leg weights while i was doing the "walk" he has me do, and had added some extra bands to the "shuttle" (which is very much like a leg press machine). he has encouraged me to try walking more with OUT the cane, but we may have to dial the program back a bit..... we'll see how i feel in the morning!

i've always been known as "the stubborn one"..... i am DETERMINED to get to where i can MOVE again!!!!

i'm soooo thankful for this group! you always lift me up! hope i can return the kindness! :love: :love: :love: :heart: :heart:

take good CARE of yourselves! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

janie :heart:
  • JNHeff
    JNHeff Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    sorry i didn't proof-read for typos! :ohwell:

janie :tongue:
  • djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday!! :flowerforyou:
    I had a witty post all planned out in my head this am...but after work (anyone else notice the full moon is coming Monday? ) my brain is a little fried..:ohwell:
    Yesterday I rearranged my cabinets in the kitchen..we are in the middle of redoing the kitchen as well so hopefully this will save me some time when dh takes out the cabinets on the one wall (redoing the whole wall)...anyway lots of up and down and a few squats as well...also took the opportunity to do some purging...great to clean out..need to do that in other rooms and the basement...another day.:noway:
    this am I biked 8 miles. I am not seeing the scale move much but inches are definitely changing. I am also noticing fewer cravings for sweets...now I have to break the habit and mindset that I want the sweets...making progress slowly but surely..I am happy with the habits changes because that is ultimately my goal...the weight change will come.
    ds is coming home on Saturday for 2 weeks of leave...can't wait to see him...will see how I do with the habits...I guess I willnhave to put my money where my mouth is!!:laugh:

Ok starting to ramble..am going to try that line dance Dvd again
    :heart:
    Jen
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good evening beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

My goodness we are chatty:laugh:! I don't have a lot of time right now, dinner is in the oven and almost ready. My weekend was busy busy busy, I don't feel like I've had a break at all:angry: , and absolutely nothing got done in the house :sad: . I was like a social butterfly, flitting all over the place this weekend:tongue: . I had dinner with the kids last night at an Italian restaurant, it's so hard to be good with all that luscious food, I had chicken and peas with just a bit of pasta, and 2 wonderful glasses of wine, and I indulged in bread and olive oil:blushing: , I actually had 21 calories left over:laugh: , and was down almost a pound this morning! I'm having salmon and green beans tonight and hoping the salmon continues to do it's magic:bigsmile: !!! My weight loss has really slowed down:sad: , I'll be happy if 2 pounds come off this month! I'm not worried about it, I'm in this for the long haul, and slow and sure is what will keep it off!! I just want to take a bit of this time and tell you all I'm so very happy to apart of this group:bigsmile: , you are all wonderful women, kind and caring and sharing! Big thanks to you Barbie for keeping this going:flowerforyou: . I heard from Dixie the other day, she had a peaceful trip, and said she's feeling much better! She was so happy to hear the ladies here asked about her and sent their love, it really means a lot to her. I know she'll return when she feels the time is right!

It's dinner time now!!! Hope everyone had a most wonderful, relaxing , peaceful evening and sleep well and sweet dreams!!!
    Until tomorrow ladies.......

Hugs,
    DeeDee
  • Dar1356
    Dar1356 Posts: 15
    Options
    Hello ladies.... I wanted to share how today started out for me.......

"Hello, mom?"
    "Hello, Dillon, what's up?"
    "Ummm.... I had a little accident......."
    Where are you?"
    "Going to the emergency room for a cat scan and xrays...."
    'WHAT HAPPENED?????"
    "The skateboard hit something on my way to class and I flew off....."
    "ARE YOU OKAY????"
    "I think so.... I will txt you from the hospital..."

Mind you, my son is attending the University of Colorado, Boulder, and I am in California...... anyway, 2 1/2 hours later, there were no broken bones, fractures, concussions,.... just a BIG gash above his right eye that they glued ( not stitched) together, and a very sore right shoulder....... THANK YOU, God:)

Hope all of you have a great rest of the week.......

Dar
  • djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies.... I wanted to share how today started out for me.......

"Hello, mom?"
    "Hello, Dillon, what's up?"
    "Ummm.... I had a little accident......."
    Where are you?"
    "Going to the emergency room for a cat scan and xrays...."
    'WHAT HAPPENED?????"
    "The skateboard hit something on my way to class and I flew off....."
    "ARE YOU OKAY????"
    "I think so.... I will txt you from the hospital..."

Mind you, my son is attending the University of Colorado, Boulder, and I am in California...... anyway, 2 1/2 hours later, there were no broken bones, fractures, concussions,.... just a BIG gash above his right eye that they glued ( not stitched) together, and a very sore right shoulder....... THANK YOU, God:)

Hope all of you have a great rest of the week.......

Dar

So glad he is ok...so hard when they are far away and you get that call...hang in there
    Jen
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Evening all,

Getting caught up on all the posts! Tried a new recipe tonight that I found, of all places, in the walmart flyer! It is a chicken tetrazzini that I just tweaked to make healthier with fresh ingredients and low carb pasta and it was a hit! Used MFP to calculate the calories but it was a total pain with all the conversions I had to figure out and seemed to take forever.:grumble:

Starting my temp job back up again tomorrow and hopefully it'll last longer this time!

Dar-I'm very glad your son is ok! It had to be very nerve wracking waiting to find out how he was!

Congrats to those that have lost!:flowerforyou: I seemed to be stalled at the moment but hopefully the scale will move downward soon!

Kathy:drinker:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,943 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: DeeDee, when I walk the dogs, I use the “sniffing time” to do things like squats, my daily yoga pose, dancing, or walking or running in place, so I get some exercise….thanks for the update on Dixie…I think of her often

:flowerforyou: M, I’ve been on this weight loss journey for more than three years. At first my exercise was my line dance classes, a few minutes of dog walking in the morning, and some other walking from time to time. What I do now is the result of gradual additions and slow changes. I had weight training for a goal for two years before I ever did anything more than some occasional biceps curls with the five pound weights I’d had from years before.

:flowerforyou: Kate, the Happiness quote for today
    “The disturbers of happiness are our desires, our griefs, and our fears.” Samuel Johnson
    my 80+ year old neighbor leaves her house before 5 AM five days a week to swim.

:flowerforyou: Texasgal, I’d love to have you in my line dance class…we would have so much fun…..have you looked for line dance classes where you live???? Senior Centers often have classes or know where they are.

:flowerforyou: Nancy, your life seems filled with eating as recreation which might be a roadblock to shedding those last pounds…..you have been so faithful with exercise and logging your food.

:flowerforyou: Meg, your plan to ask for time for walking or exercise on your next trip is a great idea. You’ll be a much more effective participant in your meetings if you get the exercise you need.

:flowerforyou: Janie, this thread has room for all of us
    the frequent posters, the readers, the ones who reply to everyone, and the ones who write one or two sentences…..we are all in this together.

:flowerforyou: Lila, your yard work has reminded me of the first house I owned that had the biggest and most beautiful maple tree in the back. When we bought the house in April I didn’t even consider what a job is would be in October when the leaves fell. I lived in that house for twelve years…..one year a windstorm broke a huge branch that landed on the car and the fence.

:flowerforyou: Lentigolgirl, there’s a small belly dancing class at the senior center right after the class I teach on Wednesday afternoons……they are a very enthusiastic group.

:flowerforyou: Janehadji, I’ve learned a lot about computer stuff (like uploading photos to photobucket and then to MFP, from other women on the site…..just dive right in and ask questions as you go and soon you’ll have a new skill.

:flowerforyou: I got way behind on reading the posts…….now that I can ride the exercise bike while watching TV, I have less time for the computer.

:flowerforyou: Voting in my county is done completely by mail. We got our ballots in the mail two days ago, voted yesterday, and today we drove to the courthouse and turned our ballots in and got a sticker that says “I voted.”

:bigsmile: It’s a big exercise bike and TV night----Presidential debate, game 7 of a big baseball playoff, and DWTS

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

569147nmlfkdnzlz.gif

Resolutions for October (with mid-month comments)
    *yoga once a week----haven’t done it yet
    *walk with hubby three times a week ---I ask but he hasn’t found it convenient
    *say “OK”---be agreeable ----doing well with this
    *stay in the moment ---doing very well
    *Be Barbie----great
    "The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."

"The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed."
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,360 Member
    Options
    Linda Sundance - the pumpkin soup contained low sodium broth, pumpkin puree, onion, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper (which I didn't add), and nutmeg.

Am a bit rushed today. Did yoga, went to the soup kitchen, bought gas, took the extremepump class, came home to give Loki his med, went to buy Bonnie a new collar (the clip on hers was wearing away), stopped at Aldi, then on the way home bought two of the decorated cookies (Jessica likes them and she'll be here this weekend), had lunch and then Vince and I cut out the solar cover for the pool since it wasn't very breezy -- 1 to 2 mph, played mahjongg (I maj'd twice!), finished listening to the final debate, took a shower, now I'm here.

It is a good idea to rest your muscles, actually, that helps to build them. I know, I know, I should take my own advice. But on the weekends I usually do some balance games or training games.

Liz - good luck with the quiches! The hardest part I found was keeping the mini fillo tarts upright while I was putting them on the baking sheet. I wonder if they'd remain upright in a mini-muffin tin? Might be worth a try.

Tomorrow I'll do a step DVD then Vince and I will probably take up the hay on the area where they fertilized and seeded the backyard. Then Vince said we'll probably water again. I am surprised at how much of the grass has come up!

Sally - good luck at the MD

Cathy - that's just wonderful that you're getting that refund!

Oh, when we were cutting the cover for the pool, we noticed that evidentally some sort of critter used the cover on the spa as a bathroom!

Bryan was always a big reader. Vince likes to read.

A challenge doesn't motivate me. Actually, I'd probaby get discouraged since I don't lose. Congrats to everyone who has lost.

The edging and landscape fabric came today.

I agree, bellydanacers ARE very graceful. When we lived in PA, we went to a Moroccan place for dinner one time. It was really really neat.

M- we use a pickax and a shovel to get thru the red clay. The pickax to break it up and then the shovel to move what we broke up. Unfortunately, there are some places where you can't use a pickax (like right next to the equipment pad), but we still had to get the dirt level down. Those costumes sound so cute! Didn't we all use baby oil and bake in the sun? I know I did

Kate - a salt water pool IS very nice, no chloriney smell

Jolene - I expected Mr. Rogers to be writing that post... lol Boy, you sure were busy. Wjould you like to come clean my house????

At the extremepump class today, this lady was telling me that she had an indoor exercise pool and if I wanted the pole with the leaf-catcher thing and the hose for the cleaner, I could have hers (even tho we have one, it'll just be an extra) since she doesn't use it. Don't know if she'll remember to bring it next Mon. If she doesn't, no harm done

I had been baking for the workers, and you know, now that I'm not, I feel so much better. It's strange, but I really do

Dar - glad your son is OK, but what a scare for you!

Kathy - good luck on the job

Off to catch up on DWTS. Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele