WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2012

Options

Replies

• janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon..
    Grandma day!Had plans to go to pumpkin farm,been raining all day.Did go to feed the geese and carving a pumpkin.
    Hope everyone had a good day!!
    HUGS
    jane
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Hi beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

I`ve got a little time so I`m going to try and catch up!!!

Janie:smile: Glad your uncle is out of surgery:flowerforyou: !!! Will continue to say prayers for you both!!

Carolyn:smile: Beach weekend for the girls sounds lovely!!!! Hope little kitty is doing okay, let us know!!!

Amanda:smile: Yay for customers spending money!!!!

DebA:smile: Hope all your Dr. appts. turned out good!!! I have not seen the site, rs.wallet.com, however I believe I would contact MFP and tell them what`s happening to you!

Tigress:smile: I think it`s wonderful you`re getting a trainer to help you with the band, it`s best to know how to correctly use things so you don`t get hurt! I will try salmon again and hope the magic will work!!!

my brother is on his way down my driveway, I will post this now and be back later hopefully to finish!!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee
  • DeeDee2211
    Options
    I`m back, see if this time I can get caught up without interruptions!:flowerforyou:

Lin:smile: Sounds like you`re getting caught up with your dads stuff Yay!!! I cannot belive a Dr. would say that to you while he was on his way out the door:noway::angry: !!!! Does he have any compassion at all? And the jerk at Walmart:noway: :explode: , they`re hired to take care of customers and I would be letting his manager know about his rudness!!!! There was no reason why he couldn`t have looked at one of the phones they sell, and helped you, that just irritates me to no end:explode: ! I wish I lived closer to you, I would love to go talk to those jerks!!!!

Nancy:smile: I always enjoy reading your posts, you are so good with words!!! I might enjoy going to the "big boy" section of the gym too, however I would just want to observe:laugh: !

Lentigogirl:smile: LOL :laugh: on the subway with 200 of your closest friends:laugh: ! I don`t think I`d be able to do anything much less read surrounded by that many people!!!

Barbie:smile: You always have wonderful advice!!!!

Laura80111:smile: I`m a fast walker, a fast talker and a sloooow eater, the only other person I knew who was slower than me was my mom, everyone was always waiting for us to finish:laugh: . Too bad about the fridge., I was going to replace my oven, and I have the same problem, my oven is only 27", they would have to special order one for me, and it will cost more than the 32":huh: :ohwell: , guess I`ll keep it until I have to do something! I miss the daylight hours too:sad: :sad: :sad: !!!! I`m going to have salmon again on Friday, surely the magic will have returned by then:laugh: !

Janehadji:smile: Yay for the scale moving in the right direction!!!!!

Jb:smile: Your new pic is so cute!!!! Hope you have a great time with your mom!!! You`ll be able to make her a wonderful salad from your suitcase:laugh: !!!

Glenda:smile: How sweet of hubby to do the shoveling:heart::love: !!! Do you usually get snow in October? It`s been beautiful here, mid 70`s and lovely sunshine, wish it would stay this way, my favorite kind of weather!

Cheryl:smile: Oh, scary, scary clown:noway: :laugh: ! I can`t see you in the first picture, the one with the clown, but in the smaller one you look fabulous, and young!!! Congrats!!!!

Robin:smile: I`m sorry but I had to laugh a lot at your post:laugh: . Ritter is really upset with something ,and I can only imagine how much a 75 lb. puppy can hold. I had a dog once that would do that, she peed on hubby in the middle of the night, he had scolded her for something and she was getting revenge, of course she only weighed maybe 10 pounds. Oh, he chewed a backpack strap too, oops, hope you figure out what`s going on before more things happen!!! Good luck!

Teri:smile: Happy belated birthday:flowerforyou: !!! Glad you enjoyed your dinner out!!!

JaneMartin:smile: Too bad it was raining today, but pumpkin carving sounds fun, I`m sure Violet loved her time with you!!!

I think I`m caught up, unless a post has come while I`m typing. I think I will get off this computer and start making my dinner! Hope everyone has a wonderful night!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee
  • djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies, boy what a gloomy day we ended up with...beautiful this am...who knew it would be raining by noon..not me apparently, but I did have my short raincoats at least:laugh:

On the subject of kindle...I have the kindle fire and love it...it works like a tablet and is also an ereader..it is not without its shortcomings but I use it all the time and rarely use the desktop at home. I will confess to downloading LOTS of free books:blushing: ..mostly fluff and some are really bad but have found a few good ones that I have recommended.

I had a successful line dance experience (in the basement with my Dvd) ...I managed to do the first dance and half of the second...I think I did the first one twice and then went back to the step primer first for the second dance..I did the beginning of the second dance about three times...I got better but not pretty to watch...I was amazed at how much I was sweating...so this is a nice add to my exercise mix:wink:

Nancy..I am like you...I enjoy cooking and much of our entertainment revolves around food (and wine) ..I quite often have to have that stern self-talk ...when ds is home he is looking forward to home cooking..the trick will be to remind myself to keep to my portions, keep the wine in check and bike a billion miles a day! :laugh:

Have a good night everyone. Hugs, prayers and high fives my friends, thanks for being part of my journey
    :heart:
    Jen

PS I already have my November goal figured out...I really was floundering without goals...thank you barbie for encouraging them every month!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    Linda Sundance - great NSV! Sure feels good, huh?

Did an hour of a step DVD today. Then Vince and I started doing the landscaping work. Vince got these solar rollers which basically is where you need to cut the solar cover in half and roll one half and then the other (on two separate rollers) so you're just lifting about 25lbs out of the water. A full solar cover is so heavy, I remember when MIL and FIL had one, it took two people to get that cover off. Then we raked up some of the hay from when they seeded the backyard. Vince was raking and I was putting the hay in a dump wagon and taking it to the back of the property to dump. Lots of bending down and then walking to dump the hay. I didn't have a pedometer on, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if I had over 20,000 steps today. We need to do it again tomorrow and I think I have a pedometer so I'm going to wear it just to see. Then we installed 4 more landscape lights. We reseeded where they had seeded and watered the grass. Just came in the house, I think I'll take a short shower just to get the sunscreen off me.

I WAS planning to go to water aerobics, but we really need to get this landscaping work done and the weather is supposed to be nice tomorrow so I think I'll just go to the Y early and swim some laps.

DeeDee - Vince always tells me that I talk fast, too. I had a cousin who spoke REALLY fast, sometimes I honestly didn't follow her.

Carolyn - that is so wonderful of you to take such good care of that stray kitten. Not everyone would do what you're doing. Keep us updated. On another note: Vince subscribes to Catnip magazine (put out by Tuft's University). They called the other day, looking for donations so Vince gave them some. We were talking to the guy about the different things we've been thru with our cats, from cancer to diabetes to radioactive isotope treatments to polyps in the ear where they had to surgically remove them via the chin, and now the seizures. He couldn't get over how much we'd been thru. We do need to take Loki for a blood level test this Friday, Jessica might take one of her cats if it isn't better (it had diarrhea, etc)

Deb - I love reading about all those NSV's, too. To me, they mean more than a loss on the scale.

tigress - good luck on your walk. Good luck at your appointment, hope your A1C is down, too.

Lin - I'm with you, so many of the people I know say "I gotta lose weight" but they do absolutely nothing about it. It's just so frustrating. They want to go out to lunch and some of the places they want to go to!

Laura - I suspect the landscaping is going to take a LONG time, really LONG. You'll get pics, but don't be surprised if it's not for a few years, at least two. I LOVE shirataki noodles. I know that they are listed in the database here, search for them and you'll find the calories, carbs, etc. The calories really aren't bad at all. They are spaghetti but made out of tofu. Honestly, some people don't care for the bit of rubbery texture, but I'll take that seeings how low in calories they are.

janehadji - congrats on the scale moving!

jb - LOVE your pic! Have a good trip, and try not to worry (I know that's impossible)

When we were working outside, Vince made a comment "uh, I'm getting old and out of shape". The sad thing is that he isn't doing anything to get into shape. Oh well, there's just so much I can do

rjadams - bad bad Ritter! What a disapppointment you are. But I know that Robin still loves you

Going to take a quick shower to get this sunscreen off, then lay down.

Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • mch1956
    mch1956 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I am enjoying catching up with everyone's posts. Watched the presidential debate last night so did not get online. Also had a mammogram yesterday, no sweat. I had a breast reduction four years ago so mammograms are easy and they were giving out pink tote bags to celebrate breast cancer awareness month, can always use another bag for grocery shopping. Monday I also my tai chi class night, I look forward to it all week. Sunday I ordered "strong women stay young" from Barnes and noble, can't wait to get started with it.
    Keep on truckin'
    Mary
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Wow Exermom, it sure doesn't sound like you needed more exercise!!

I am going to try and see if this picture comes out smaller. If it doesn't, then I give up!!

Untitled.jpg
  • jolenec1
    jolenec1 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Wow! What a day. I had to take my mother to the doctor today. It seems she dropped a skillet on her foot and yes, its broken:grumble: :grumble: . Yikes! We were in the dr. office for over 4 hours:noway: . My feet are so swollen from all the sitting in the car and the office:mad: :mad: :angry: :grumble: . Good Grief! In addition to this my car picked now to die. Must have a new starter:noway: :noway: :grumble: . I think I am a victim of Murphy's Law this week. So be warned, you might want to avoid me this week. Stress got the better of me and I was over my calories for the day and NO EXERCISE. Tomorrow must be better!!!:huh: :huh:

Lin- I am sorry about your father. Most doctor's don't realize how things like that can be an emotional bomb for family members. You and your father will be in my prayers:heart::heart: .

Robin- maybe Ritter has separation anxiety. My chiwinnie used to do things like that. She was very destructive when we would leave home. We still can't trust her unsupervised in the house. She has to be locked in her kennel when we are not home:frown: .

wessecg- You look terrific...but that clown kinda looks like I feel tonight.:indifferent:

I read everyone's post, but I am too tired to answer everyone. Hope you all have a good evening and a wonderful Wednesday.

Jolene:smile:
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

Today was volunteer day so lots of walking which is always welcome. Food went ok I was able to manage some control thru out the day. I have been really working on portion control. Seems to be working my portions in the past before MFP was so huge not a normal portion or what a real serving would be. Now they are normal size. Still needing to measure but getting a little bit better at eye balling.

@Lin -- I am so sorry about your Dad, that Doctor so uncaring. And Wal-mart I would so go to the store manager,

@Michele--you are so discipline about getting your workouts in. I will let you know how those tarts turn out.

@ Linda- That is a great NSV how encouraging!

@Tigress-- your walk sounds like fun good luck on it.

@Jolene -- Sorry about your mom.

@Janehadji-- Congrats on the scale moving.

I need to go help my daughter with a project be back in a bit.

Liz
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hi Friends,
    I just spent the last 45 minutes reading all of the posts I missed over the last two days. It's amazing how much activity happens on this post!! I'm all caught up but I think I'm just going to move forward instead of commenting on any (except of course my prayers for some and best wishes for others and empathy for the challenges expressed).

I just spent the last two days in a Heart-Mind Inquiry workshop learning about Appreciative Inquiry engagement and theory. Boy am I pumped and dying to put it to work. How powerful is it to come from a place of positive thought instead of dwelling on the problems! However, I now am very tired and feeling a little drained. I was supposed to head off to another conference tomorrow for some water conservation strategic planning for the Columbia Basin, but I still haven't managed to get rid of this bug totally and now it seems to have returned to the extent that I don't have much of a voice again. So, I am going to listen to my body and rest and rejuvenate and take the time to get rid of this bug.

That being said, my fine friends, I'm going to crawl into bed with a new book and hopefully drop off to sleep and get a full 8 hours to recharge the batteries.

Congratulations to all of you with losses (and NSVs) and strength and patience to all of you working the system but waiting on the losses.

Night all
    Lila
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

I have a few pages of the thread to catch up on, but I have been busy for the last few days, scraping, rubbing down and painting the sun porch on the back of my house. I'm disappointed because I can't find anything for scraping, painting, decorating etc in the exercise section. So, I had no exercise to log today, even though I spent 2 hours of work on the porch.

I'm back to the weight I was 2 weeks ago, so I guess that is some kind of progress. Aquafit again tomorrow morning. I spoke to the instructor after Monday's class and told her (she is the normal Wednesday coach, but was filling in on Monday) that several people had said that they didn't think the work out was rigourous enough as they hadn't been increasing their heart rate. I told her that I felt that Monday's work out was good and some of the things we did could/should be done on Wednesday. My personal beef was that she changes the exercise, but then changes again before everyone has caught up. I don't think 4 repeats are enough and she thanked me for my comments. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Good night.
  • LindaS175
    LindaS175 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Good evening friends,:wink:
    I think that it has taken me a little over 1 hr to read and post. So, after a long day it is time for bed. I did weigh this am and was done a pound . something. Over all I have lost 35 lbs, so far! For this and all of you and your support I am so grateful. I really could have not done this without you and your support, comments,suggestions!:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    I went to the gym tonight after work and got in 30 mins and I did a 15min walk at the girls school while they were doing some work after school. Who is this women who feel the need to exercise now? I am a changed woman. I love to exercise, but my fall at work and post joint injuries,exercise was not a part of my life any more.:sad: :sad: Happy to say that I am getting that good feeling with exercise. :happy: :happy: I have to put Sundance (our yellow lab to bed and get the girls in bed now, so until tomorrow wishing you all a healthy and happy Wednesday! Hugs, :drinker: :heart: Linda:wink:

DeeDee- probably just a water fluctuation. I hope that you drank a lot of water today and the scale will be moving in the right direction. :drinker:

Carolyn, hope the kitten is ok. Glad you had an awesome weekend with your GF. Those are some of the best memories I have., Traveling with my best friends. Laughter is an awesome medicine. Welcome back!:smile:

Amanda- chac-ching , keep those registers going all day! That is a good sign that people are buying again! Hope you had a bountiful day! :laugh: :laugh:

DebA – that is a good idea about toning! Congrats on your 71lb weight loss. You must be very proud for all you have accomplished. Keep on the journey and maybe find a good trainer who can word out the mid section really well. There are a lot of knowledgeable ladies on her when it come to exercise. Maybe they know just what you need to do! Keep up the positive attitude! :drinker: :drinker:

Tigress – that is good news about the trainer. They do have really awesome deals popping up on the web and Amazon these days. Hoping that you will have a good A1C on the 29th! :drinker: :drinker:

Lin, sorry to hear about you Dad and his health. That was so unprofessional of the doctor to make that remark. Next time you see him, I would tell him of his remark and how unprofessional he was. Who does he think he is?? That is weird about Wal-Mart and the phone case! What is this world coming too? Spicy cauliflower soup sound delicious. People make a fake mashed potato out of cauliflower. I hear it is very good, maybe one day I will try to make them! :happy: :happy:

Nancy, I hope you don’t have to clean out a staff refrigerator- That would not be a fun job. Math games, I do not know of any fun ones. Any fun math games for teenage girls? Hope your day at school was rewarding! ;):drinker: :drinker:

Lentigogirl- I have a kindle too. I have the last year addition. I do not like that the buttons for the letters are so small and hard to read. I wish it had a built in light. Other than those 2 issues I do like it very much. I thing the new Kindle Fire has a better lighting system and hopefully a better way to input data? :tongue:

Barbie- thank you for explaining that quote to me. Ah, sometime this ole mind is out of service! :huh: :huh:

Laura80111- it is an interesting issue with speed of eating, stuffing, eating slow etc. My best girlfriend eats painfully slow. She is from a family of 5, so how does that figure? I guess maybe it has to do along the lines of a control issue? Well, your boss must really respect you and your knowledge if he gave you the task to do his job! I would take that as a complement! :drinker: :drinker:

Janehadji- I guess society did not have the knowledge about the “hidden” dangers of sugar and processed foods in our parent’s day. Your Mom is lucky that she is thin and if she is healthy too then she is one lucky person! Congrats on the new low on the scale! Sometime it just takes time! Congrats :drinker: :drinker:

JB- I am in San Diego County. I work this coming weekend, but if you and I both have time it would be fun to meet. I can help you with your Mom if you want? I am an RN and if you don’t have any family close by to help her or check in on her maybe I can help. Let me know, just send me a message. If not this time I am sure you will be down again! Praying for your Mom and a safe flight for you! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Glenda- Snow, oh the thought of it makes me shiver! Thank you for sharing what you mentioned about having a positive attitude and healthy change. I think many of us are on the same journey and it was a good reminder to read what you wrote about it. I am also very thankful for new beginnings. Another day to be a better person! :drinker:

M- You look great! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Robin ,Bodi and Ritter- bad bad puppy. Think he needs to be in a kennel for the night! We have our dogs in kennels for the night. This prevents any accidents. We have a 9 yo yellow lab. She doesn’t even go to the door anymore when she has to do her business. She has a spot on the carpet where she goes. We have a greenish carpet so maybe she thinks it is grass. I even bought those potty pads for dogs, she just went beside it! Love our fur people. :heart:

Texasgal- belated Happy Birthday! Sounds like your enjoyed your dinner! Biscuits are yummy! Just work out a little harder this week! :drinker: :drinker:

Jane- I am sure Violet just loves being with you whether it is raining or not! :happy: :happy:

Jen- congrats on your line dancing. You must have a nice space to be able to do this. I would have to move all of my living room furniture to make it work for me! I do love line dancing, fun and burns calories! :drinker: :drinker:

Michelle- yes the NSV and the scale victory feels os good and powerful that it keeps me positive and wanting to exercise and be on track! Thanks :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Mary- let us know how the book is- strong women stay young! :happy:

Jolene –praying that Murphy’s law goes away and the next days will be better for you! Hugs :grumble: :grumble:sad:

Liz- glad that you get to do something so wonderful as volunteer and burn calories! That is great as to sizing down the meal portions. Looks like you are doing a good job! :drinker: :drinker:

Lila- take care of yourself and don’t get too run down. You must share with us what you learned at this last conference, or at least little positive bits of information. Hope you are feeling better in the am! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Genealace- try google on the internet to see how many calories you burned doing the activity’s that you did today and then pick something comparable, or you may be able to add it. You must have burned a lot of calories! Progress and not perfection. Congrats on being back to a place with your weight where you want to be! :drinker: :drinker:

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: -sweet dreams to all!
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies

I'm off for my boob squish in a wee while. Will be glad when it's done.

Catch up later.

Love to all.
    Amanda x
  • DeeDee2211
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Jen:smile: Sometimes those gloomy skies sneak up on us, sunny one minute and dreary the next. Hope today is full of blue skies and sunshine! Sounds like you`re getting good at line dancing, great exercise!

Michele:smile: It`ll be interesting to see how many steps you get in from landscaping work, I bet it`ll be a lot!!! Good for you wearing sunscreen! I am like you though, ready to wash it off at the end of the day!!!!

Mary:smile: Glad you got your mammogram, an important test for us women!!!

Cheryl:smile: Yay, I can see your pic now! You still look beautiful and young!!! How tall are you?

Jolene:smile: Oh my, your mom dropping a skillet on her foot...OUCH!!!! I hope it heals fast! What a day you had, sure hope it gets better soon!!! Maybe you can take a nice walk and relieve some of the stress!!!

LIz:smile: Portion control, it`s a real eye opener isn`t it!!! Now when I go out to eat and see the portions I`m sure you could feed a family of 4 from one serving!!!!

Lila:smile: Sounds like your workshop was great and enlightening! Take care of yourself and get over this mean "bug" that just wants to hang on! Hopefully some good rest will have you back to new in no time!!!

Genealace:smile: Sounds like you got lots of exercise working on your sun porch!

Linda:smile: Yay for being a pound down!!! Congrats on 35 pounds gone!!!!

Amanda:smile: Good for going to get your boob squish!!! Hope everything is perect!!!

Today I have a meeting at 4pm, and then dinner after...I don`t even know where we`re going yet, so it`s made it impossible to log my food diary this morning:angry: , I decided to eat a very lite lunch since I have no clue what dinner will be. I have a feeling I`m going to be dragging this afternoon too, my sweet little fur baby decided she wanted to play with her squeeky ball this morning around 3:30:angry: , it wasn`t enough to just squeek it she also barks at it:explode: , not nice to bother mommy at that time in the morning:grumble: , I told her I was going to put her out of the bedroom and shut the door if she didn`t stop, it went on for about 20 minutes until I threw the cover back and started to get out of bed, she looked at me and laid down on her bed, sometimes it`s hard to believe this dog is 7 and not still a puppy the way see acts. I am happy to report that pound I gained yesterday is gone today!!! I guess just too much sodium! I`m getiing close to official weigh in and I`m really going to watch that!!! I`d like to have at least a 2 pound loss for this month, it will interesting to take measurments again too, my new pants are feeling a bit loose!!!

Hope everyone has a very happy Wednesday!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Amanda- I hope your report is good!

DeeDee-My dog usually behaves himself at night, but the cat is a different story! Maxwell Klinger frequently decides we have slept long enough and nudges us with his cold nose. When that doesn't work he meows right in our ears.If I push him away he comes back and walks all over us. Very persistent! It's a good thing he is so cuddly. He spends a lot of time cuddled up on a lap.

Am off for tests. Feels strange to be out of the classroom two days in a row! I will be going in at noon. Can't believe I am saying this, but I miss my students!

Have a great day!
    Deb A
  • carojrrn
    carojrrn Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies!

Thanks to all for the well wishes for my kitten. He weighs 2 lbs 4 oz and is negative for the FELV/AIDS so that was good. The vet was not sure why he has such a poor appetite. He did not have any infection just had the "normal" roundworms which he was treated for. The vet mentioned the possibility of a type of failure to thrive. I am hoping his adopters will love him up. He goes to his new home tonight. I was waiting for the green light from the vet that he was ok. I have spent the last few weeks caring and worrying about him so I know tonight will be tough. He is going to a family with three adopted school age children. They are going to name him Promise. I am sure to shed a few tears tonight....

Admittedly I have not spent time on myself and exercising(although I did ride the bike on the boardwalk!) so I need to regroup and have a plan for my exercise, especially since the weather is changing and biking will not be an option soon.

Sorry for not responding to all. Know that I think of you all and your daily challenges. I am honored to be a part of such an amazing group of ladies. There is no limit to what we can accomplish!!! Take care.

Carolyn
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Wednesday, Wednesday...

Hmm, what's up today? J'boy has band practice, I have a circuit class. Students are working on identifying and re-stating the main idea in non-ficiton text (Canada's fur trade history). I get a prep block this afternoon, which is a good thing. DH is off across the mountains to a meeting he thinks will be a waste of time, poor fellow.

I did another NROLFL workout yesterday and it felt awesome. I used the heaviest kettlebell for squats. :explode: At the end of my workout I do a super aerobic thing - there is a set of heavy ropes bolted to the wall in the gym. I have to grab the ropes and stretch them out, then toss them up & down - now that sounds easy "toss them up and down" but it's a killer! I go full out for 20 seconds, then rest for 10. Then I practice balancing on one foot for 20 seconds (this is surprisingly difficult for me), rest for 10, repeat rope throw thing. Go for 5 minutes. :explode: Whew!

Hi Laura :smile:

Janehadji! Well, well done on the new low! :flowerforyou: You must be feeling fantastic.

JB, you are the only person I know who will carry romaine, carrots and broccoli in her suitcase! :happy: Enjoy every moment with your Mom.

Glenda – snow day? How can an honest Albertan admit it? :noway: October does seem early for that kind of chaos.

After I got my Kindle I had to buy one for DH so we could share books and talk about what we are reading!

Couldn’t agree more – we can’t actually control the scale. What we can control is the decisions about what to eat and how active we are. What I am trying to do now is stop obsessing about it and live more in the moment – which might mean I stop checking in to MFP on my cell phone at work…:ohwell:

Wessecg! Is that your brother? He looks like a great fellow – and you look beautiful, :drinker: red is your colour! Scary, scary clown face.

Robin, oh my goodness! :noway: Is Ritter in the terrible twos of dogdom?

Jen, Oh my yes, food, wine and friend. :ohwell: it’s all about balance, ins’t it?

Michele, if you have an HRM you should wear it too while you are landscaping, I’ll bet it burns more calories than any kind of water aerobics workout!

Lila – Heart-Mind Inquiry?…Appreciative Inquiry engagement and theory?…I am going to have to google that one! I think you should take a day or two off and recoup. Really, you are doing the world a favour by keeping your germs to yourself. :drinker: Rest, hydrate, relax.

Sundance: “Who is this woman who feels the need to exercise”??? It’s you! :drinker: Send me a friend request and I will email you some card games & dice games that my DH and J’boy used to play with me. Now DD is away and J’boy would rather play video games I really miss play time.

Oh, the clock is chiming and the day is calling. It's almost light outside but overcast so I cannot see the mountains or the sunlight glowing on the autumn leaves. I guess I just have to create a little glow myself :laugh:

Hasta pronto,

Nancy
  • mwheatcraft54
    mwheatcraft54 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! I hope all is well with everyone – just catching up. Nothing too new around here – still working out and trying to eat right although my darling niece brought me two loaves of San Francisco Sour Dough bread, so we’ve been having chowder and bread a fair bit :smile:. Still walking and keeping my calories below my exercise – and another pound lost :bigsmile:.

Nancy, your dinner sounds like it was a lot of fun! We have neighbors we get together with each month for cards and appetizers/desserts – it’s a fun way to keep up with each other. Funny that you live in a town with sirens – we’ve had them at various places I’ve lived but not where we are in the country now. Good for you for the lifting/resistance training!!! You’ll really enjoy seeing how your body tones up. I LOLed at the farkle comment – I can see the game in my mind :smile: Wow, your workout with the ropes sounds tough! Isn’t it funny what we look at and think “I can do that” only to discover it’s a lot harder than it looks? I agree with you about the obsessing thing too – I’m trying to “wean” myself away from checking every few minutes because it makes me think about food too much.

Laura, good luck getting to the maintenance part of your program! I really enjoy P90X, but I’m not a salesperson for it. I just find it to be a good, all-around workout routine. I used to work in an area where the big bosses would just arbitrarily tell us to adjust the budget – with what, what do we cut? Grr :angry:. I agree on the shorter days – DH and I have had to forgo walking together – the last time we went out it was dark by the time we got home. Now he gets home too late for me to go out :sad:. I looked up the noodles – I personally find them hard to cook with as they get too soft and gummy for the food I’m generally making. They might be good in soups though.

JaneH – congratulations on the scale moving!!! That’s great. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

JB, have a great time on your trip.

Glenda, when I lived in Colorado we used to get snow for every Halloween (before global warming, when the snow season shifted to spring :smile:). It was just a regular occurrence. I think it snowed here last year too, but I was in CA for the GD’s birth and missed it. I love, love, love snow days!

Cheryl, you’re still looking young, even without the age-defying sunglasses :smile:. You look great!!!

Robin, thanks for the warning :wink:. Bad puppy indeed!!! Wonder what has him so upset. He sounds like he might be a little bored or lonely.

Texas, happy birthday!!! Enjoy your new tablet!

JaneM, enjoy your grandma day!

JaneH, good luck getting your car back! You’ll definitely want something that can handle the snow (and you’ll have snow because I’m ordering it for Thanksgiving :wink:.

Jolene, will you come do my house when you finish yours? I’m shamefully behind on housework and yet I find I don’t really mind at all :wink:.

Linda-Sun, I could really relate to your description of being a stuffer. I didn’t have a large family, but we still battled for every single treat since they were so scarce. I’m doing better now, but it’s been a long, hard battle. I make my pizza dough in the mixer because it’s much softer than regular bread dough – just this side of sticky. I also weigh the ingredients for it – there’s a proportion of grain to water that needs to be kept. Anyway, the recipe I use and like best is from our pizza oven manufacturer, Forno Bravo: http://www.fornobravo.com/pizza/pizza_dough.html. I usually double the recipe and will frequently increase the water to 350 gr (from 325) and swap out half of the flour (250 gr) for whole wheat flour. Otherwise, just flour, water, salt and yeast. Easy as pie. Make sure you leave enough time for it to rest after shaping the balls – it makes a big difference when stretching out the pies.

Congratulations on the NSV with the pants!!! That’s wonderful. I’m still having the midnight menopause wakeup calls occasionally but not every night, thank goodness. And 35 lbs – you go girl!!!:drinker::drinker::drinker:

Janie, so glad to hear your uncle’s surgery was a success! I hope his recovery goes smoothly. I also hope your PT goes smoothly!

Jen, I too managed to break the need for sweets. Once you get past the cravings, it’s funny how much a little sweet will satisfy and anything normally sweet will taste too sweet. Congratulations on those inches! Have fun dancing. Re: Kindles, I bought one for my mom a couple of birthdays ago – I don’t think she’s ever used it. I might have to see what she’s doing with it. I know she would use it if someone would take a few minutes to show her how. She’s one of “those” people :smile:. I’m also like you and Nancy – I love to cook (my house is awash in cooking magazines), but I’ve had not too many problems training myself to enjoy cooking a) vegetarian versions of our favorites and b) lightening up my old favs. For example, last night I made clam chowder (I still eat fish once in a while) – made a basic soup of veggies in vegetable broth and clam juice, cooked them for a bit, then added a smaller amount of milk at the end with the clams, heated and served – it was very good and around 200 calories for two cups. It’s not my traditional version (heavy with bacon, cheese, etc) and yet no one missed it! I did add some hot peppers to the veggie mix, which is from the traditional version; I find the heat makes it tastier without adding calories. Supposedly the heat/spice also revs the metabolism :wink:.

Michele, I wouldn’t be surprised if you had over 20k steps too! You guys keep so busy. Good job getting the landscaping started!

Jolene, so sorry to hear about all your troubles – your poor mom:sad:! She’s going to have a hard time getting around now, I imagine. I hope your car is an easy fix.

DeeDee, your body is just adjusting to a new “norm” and will pick up again. I was looking over my trends for the past three months and noticed the same thing right in the middle – almost an increase in weight for a weigh-in, but it’s been a pretty steady decline overall. If it stays slow for a long time, try increasing your exercise a bit to shake things up, and decrease carbs for a bit. Don’t fret about the scale – are you taking measurements too? I’ll bet the inches are decreasing.

Dar, goodness, that must have been really scary! The glue works well and even better than stitches (no stitch scars, nothing to remove). Poor guy. Hope he recovers quickly. Boys. :smile:.

Kathy, I used to make chicken (or more traditionally turkey) tetrazzini after Thanksgiving every year – family loved it! Do you use the MFP recipe maker? I use it all the time – only trouble is figuring out how many servings/recipe (I usually just eyeball it and err on the side of generous). You’re in the same place as DeeDee – it’ll move again, just keep on the program! :smile::flowerforyou:

Barbie, I read an article in the NYT magazine this weekend about Oregon voting and how they get the highest turnout in the country using 100% mailed out ballots. It said about 20% choose to turn in their ballots in person – the rest mail them back in, and they get somewhere near 70% turnout. That’s really impressive – and I love that they have no cases of fraud. I hate what’s happening to our voting (election) system in this country. It’s a shame for something that’s such a basic civil right.

Carolyn, so glad to hear about your weekend at the beach and the laughter – sounds so fun! I’ll be thinking about your kitten – poor little thing. You’re a good person for taking such good care of it.

DebA, hope your doctors’ appointments go well and you can enjoy at least part of your day off. Keep coming back and checking in for the NSVs – good luck with yours!

Tigress, good for you for getting out to walk and doing the 5k! Oooh, I hope you enjoy the lessons with the trainer too. Good luck with the doctor’s appt too – hope the A1C is down!

Lin, we ran into the maintenance issue with MFP on Monday too. Oh, well. Good for you for adding more to your exercise/step routine. Slow and steady, as you know :smile:. Check with the IRS for the cost basis – they may not include the land, only the building. I know there are rules for depreciation, etc. You can never add vision to your plan again? Or just for this year? That seems pretty punitive. I can’t believe the doctor said that! Maybe he thought he was preparing you, but really, what kind of compassionate thinking is that? You seem to have a pretty sanguine attitude, though, so good for you for just moving on :smile: :flowerforyou:

Liz, good for you on working on portion control. You know about the general “eyeball” measures, right? Fistful or tennis-ball sized (half-cup of starch), deck of playing cards (3oz protein), double-handful (servings of salad or veggies).

Lila, your workshops sound amazing! I agree, coming from a place of positive is so critical for our overall peace and prosperity. Good for you for studying this. I hope you feel better soon.

Gene, LOL about finding exercise for painting and scraping. Yes, it most definitely counts as exercise! Your weight is dropping, so something’s working, right?

Amanda, have fun with the boob squasher :smile:.

DeeDee, you’re doing great by planning for dinner out by planning on keeping your other calories lighter. That’s a great approach. LOL at your playful puppy. My cat likes to wake me up anytime between 3am and light – by standing on my chest and meowing, and if that doesn’t get him the appropriate response he pats me in the face. Grr.:grumble:

OK, everyone – I’m off to my day. The sun is out now, so I’m hoping I’ll be able to get out for a lovely walk too. Then tonight I start making food for BIL’s party this weekend. I hope to catch up with my sister and niece too – I haven’t seen her at all except for a minute on Sunday. Tomorrow is GD’s 1st birthday – I’m sad I won’t be there, but I really wanted to spend Christmas with them this year so I had to make choices. DD is making her a birthday pumpkin pie – she’s thinking less sugar. They’re making a video – can’t wait to see it (and hopefully skype too).

Cheers,

M.
  • bk2france
    Options
    I am a newbie and look forward to checking in and gathering inspiration.
    I need to loose a lot of wt. and I am not getting any younger here, so I
    will look for encouragement in this community.
    I love this program!!
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Barbiecat - I can live in a ratty house and drive a junk car, however, I do want tons of horse related things, an indoor riding arena, a bigger horse trailer, a bigger truck to pull the bigger horse trailer, and the list goes on. So the jag can pass me on the road, but the 3 horse with living quarters, now that evokes desire!!

Laura - I am like Sundances friend, I have always eaten painfully slowly. In fact because I am always the last at the table, when we eat out people think I am the one overeating because they don't realize I am still working on my first plate!!

Glenda - snow???? NOOOO.

Jolene - sorry to hear you feel like that clown looks :frown:

Sundance - congratulations of your loss and the increased desire to exercise!!

Dee Dee - I am 5'7 inches.

Mazaron - I don't know where you hail from, but I know it's not America - you said "fellow" :laugh:

M. - Thanks!:blushing:

There, I managed to comment on other folk's posts (and use smileys :drinker: ). I do read most of them, but usually don't have time to keep notes on who said what.

This moring I had a great NSV (I had a scale victory too but it's not official until Friday). Today I am wearing a pair of pants I've not fit into in at least 4 years, maybe 6.