Do you like your first name?

Options
Laura_Suzie
Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
Mine is Laura.

I hated it as a child as I thought it was an old lady name. Now I like it. I think it sounds very mature and classic. I love the 1950s and Laura was a popular name back then. :) And Frank Sinatra sings a song called "Laura" which was inspired by the movie "Laura" with Vincent Price (my favorite actor!). It just gets annoying when I say my name and people think I say "Lauren" or "Laurie".

So, how about you guys? Do you like your name? Have you always liked it?

Replies

• nosugrefyram
    Options
    I'm called Mary and I hated it as a child - but love it now. I'm 27 and don't know anyone else my age with the same name
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Yes, because it's awesome!
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    My name is Angela....hated it for half of my life but now I love it! My good friends all call me Ang which is cool with me because Angela just seems to formal. I think our names grow on us lol. Laura is a beautiful name btw!
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    My name's Kelsey.
    i love it.

lol,mainly cause i like it when people call me Kels.
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    My name's Kayleigh & I always thought it was a bit weird, but there was enough people around with similar names so that I didn't feel lonely (lol) & I also felt quite special as most were spelt differently (i.e. kayley, etc). I'm named after the song by Marillion (sp?), & my older brother got named after Adam and the Ants :tongue:

Now I like my name, and still can't find many girls with my exact name, especially on the net :drinker:
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    My name is Dawn and I always hated it, and still do really. My family/close friends call me Dawnie, which I prefer.

I called my daughter Maya (My-a, the Spanish pronunciation) and I hope she'll like it when she's older.

Laura is not an old lady name in the UK. I'm a teacher and we have kids at school now called Laura. Lauren is also popular.

Kelsey and Kayleigh are also incredibly popular.
  • sheripoynter
    Options
    my full first name is "Sheridan" i hate it. especially because i just had the title of "Mr" used in an email to me
    WHY DO I HAVE TO HAVE A UNISEX NAME?
    I also hate the shortened version of it, Sheri, because noone EVER spells it right or says it right. ITS. NOT. COMPLICATED.

/rant.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I like it. Sometimes I don't. A few years ago I legally changed my last name and I strongly considered changing my first name as well. It is an unusual name. I decided to keep it. It suits me.

When I was a kid I wanted to be named Valerie or Veronica or Vivian. I've always liked V names.
  • Dying2Live84
    Dying2Live84 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Mine is Kristi and I LOVE it! I was always the only one growing up and even now it is not a popular name here. My only pet peeve is when people call me Kirsty grrrrrr.

xx
  • Dying2Live84
    Options
    My name's Kayleigh
    Now I like my name, and still can't find many girls with my exact name, especially on the net :drinker:

I have a friend named Kayleigh, spelt this way. In fact, the majority I know here have the same spelling. Weird lol.

xx
  • Bucky83
    Bucky83 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Mine is Chanelle and I have always loved it. I'm so grateful my parents gave me a name that I love. The only frustrating thing is when people call me Chantelle....drives me nuts.
  • BlueGenius
    BlueGenius Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My name is Crystal.

I am named after my mother, so my family used to call me Baby Crystal as a child. Clearly, I've grown out of that, so now I mostly go by my middle name, Cherise, to avoid confusion.

I used to hate being named after my mother, but now that I have grown into my own identity, I love my name. It's perfect for me.
  • Laura_Suzie
    Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Mine is Kristi and I LOVE it! I was always the only one growing up and even now it is not a popular name here. My only pet peeve is when people call me Kirsty grrrrrr.

xx

haha one of my elementary school bullies was named Kristy (different spelling). Ruined the name for me. :(

My sister is considering naming her second child Zoe (same name and spelling as another bully of mine). haha I keep begging her to spell it Zoey or Zooey (like Zooey Deschanel because I love her). I do think Zoey does well with her first daughter's name "Avery".
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    My name is Olly and I absolutely love it :) Always have......
  • Dying2Live84
    Options

xx

haha one of my elementary school bullies was named Kristy (different spelling). Ruined the name for me. :(

Aww I hate when horrible people spoil names! haha. When I was younger, I used to watch a lot of American TV and I found that anyone called Kristi was always fat.... that was my only issue with my name lol.

xx
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    i have mixed feelings. Natasha from Russia?
    NO.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    My name is Crystal.

I am named after my mother, so my family used to call me Baby Crystal as a child. Clearly, I've grown out of that, so now I mostly go by my middle name, Cherise, to avoid confusion.

I used to hate being named after my mother, but now that I have grown into my own identity, I love my name. It's perfect for me.

gorgeous name for gorgeous girl :):)
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    My first name is Dawn and I've always liked it. Its not that common (I've only met maybe 10-15 people with the same name) but known enough to not be unusual and I get a lot of compliments on it actually.

The only things that I ever not liked about it is when I introduce myself to people, 8 times out of 10 people say Donna back and I have to correct them. And people frequently spell it "Don" which is the male spelling short for Donald. I'm definitely not a boy, lol!

To the other Dawn poster, I get called Dawnie by my family too.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Jacqueline here. I love my name, but prefer it when I have it short. Jacki.... WITHOUT the E on the end (that pisses me off) is what I'm known as.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I've always liked my name. But, it's already unusual enough (although not in a weird way), so I wish it were spelled correctly for the sound (I really do). It just needs to not have a double consonant, so just remove one letter. But, it's too late to change it now. In retrospect I would have probably changed it sooner had I realized that was an option when it was.