Do you like your first name?

Options

Replies

• VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Mine's Elizabeth, and I really like it.
  • My name is Dawn and I always hated it, and still do really. My family/close friends call me Dawnie, which I prefer.

I called my daughter Maya (My-a, the Spanish pronunciation) and I hope she'll like it when she's older.

Laura is not an old lady name in the UK. I'm a teacher and we have kids at school now called Laura. Lauren is also popular.

Kelsey and Kayleigh are also incredibly popular.

My name is Dawn too, and my best friend calls me Dawnie...she's the only one, and I love it!

I always hated my name growing up, though, because my family is from Southern Ohio, and with their accents, they could turn "Dawn" into a 15 syllable word!! I never knew how to pronounce my name correctly, so it always came out "Doran"....and even now at 41 years old, I sometimes overcompensate and people think I said "Lynn". ugh.
  • debbiekuhn123
    debbiekuhn123 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My name is Debbie & i've always liked it :)
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    My name is Jaclyn & I hate it very much that I get really mad whenever I'm being called by that. It sounds too girly for me & I'm a tomboy type.
  • ashdred
    ashdred Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My name is Ashley.

Oh, how I hated thee. Every girl born in the mid-80's seemed to have the same name. With that being said, I couldn't just be Ashley. I had to be....black, brown-skin, short, chubby, the cheerleader, crazy Ashley. I went through a period in middle school which my teachers accepted with out a problem, where I changed the spelling to Ash-Lee. SOMETHING to stand me a part.

And, on top of that, my last name was Williams. I went to a college that didnt understand the importance of middle initials that had six girls with the same name. Imagine the billing issues...

I like it now. It keeps me youthful. Easily understood. Fits in all application blocks and after years and years of turning my head to it..i"ve accepted and love the nickname "Ash" lol
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I have always liked Kimberly, but never liked Kim. Ever since reading "Kim" by Rudyard Kipling.
    Kimberly has a much nicer meaning than Kim, too.

My mother's name is Janet- she hates it. I like it. My mom hates to be called that and has always insisted on being called Jan. I like full names, though. (Like not using the shortened version of a longer name. Kim for Kimberly, Mike for Michael, Gwen for Gwendolyn, etc)
    edit- BUT I like the shorter names if they are the given name. Like naming the child Tim instead of Timothy or Becky instead of Rebecca
    That's funny, I'm just the opposite! I don't mind Kim at all, however, I think it's the assumption that people automatically think my name is Kimberly that bugs me.
    Oh and the real winners remind me that Kimber rhymes with Timber. WOW! I have NEVER heard that before!!!
  • FloridasFinest
    Options
    I'm Erin. Never had a problem with my name. My mother wanted me to have an Irish name obviously. One of my closest friends in high school was also an Erin so everyone just called us by our last names. Even though she is married and I was married, people we see from high school still call us by our maiden names.
  • AlexandraKHS
    Options
    I always preferred Alexandra to Alex, mainly because everyone expects me to be a guy, so when I was at school I spelt it 'Alix.' Now I'm over it and love both, especially Alexandra. Worst part is that I'm usually called Alexander, which drives me nuts!
  • spikedkanji
    spikedkanji Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I don't actually go by my legal first name - haven't since I was a youngster. It was common and dull - so I switched it to my middle name. My parents and family still refer to me as my legal name but in a social setting they know it's my middle :)

Cheers - awesome thread!

That's right,,,,I think Petunia is a nice name... ;)
  • weliveaswedream
    weliveaswedream Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My name is Teresa. I HATED it when I was a child because I only knew one other Teresa and she was a mean girl. I wanted dearly to be a Sara, after the Triceratops from Land Before Time (the original, not one of the 16 sequels). Alas, my parents never saw fit to change it for me. :)

I'm okay with it now. It's my name and my brother gave it to me so I would never change it. I encounter very few Teresas as an adult.
  • torrini
    torrini Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My first name is Silja. I like it, it's not that common but not too uncommon either. It sounds fresh and suits me :)
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    No, only because every other girl born in the early/mid 80s name is also Jessica. I used to go by Jessie when I was younger by it's just Jess or Jessica now. I would rather be an Autumn or Liz. I usually say my name is Liz for my Starbucks orders, lol.
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    Mine is Jeanette: HATE it! Nickname is Jan: HATE it! Always have. Always will :(.
  • SheilaN1976
    SheilaN1976 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    my name is Sheila and i hate it...i have always felt that it was an OLD name like 80-90 yrs old...i am 36 now and i still dont like it.
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    My name is Jeff, and I dig it.
  • bellydancer124
    Options
    My name is Melinda and I love it now. As a kid, I wanted a more common name and went through this period where I desperately wished that my name was Tiffany. :huh:

However, I despise my middle name. :grumble:
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    Yes I like my first name. Mine is Melanie.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    No, thank God my brother and sister didn't like it so they ended up calling me Maggie. It's caused a few problems in life, but over all it's way better than my legal name
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    My name is Olly and I absolutely love it :) Always have......

That's an awesome name. =D
  • anrev42
    anrev42 Posts: 331
    Options
    My name is Vernaleah ...no middle name, just Vernaleah. Friends call me Verna for short :)